• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 George

George
  • VibeTribe
  • 377 posts
  • LocationGlendora,NJ

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

I have been hearing alot of discussion of god in the rooms lately. I for one have no problems with this, however there are many who do. To me, a god of my understanding is just that. My Higher Power doesn't need a name,it simpy is. I rely on my higher power daily to get me through. For anyone who stuggles with that concept I beg you not to give up on a program because of god in the language. The rooms can also be a power greater than myself. I use anything I can as a tool to stay sober. My higher power does for me what I cannot do for myself(stay sober).

#2 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,914 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

Group O'Drunks

#3 wizard

wizard
  • VibeTribe
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:08 AM

Good Orderly Direction

#4 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,420 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

i just found my best friend from elementary school on facebook. she has been going to meetings for 23 years. she was raised by a militant atheist father (as was i) so i asked her about the higher power/god aspect of AA and how she viewed it. she is lucky to live in an area with a ton of meetings to choose from (southern california) so she goes to a specifically "agnostic" meeting. she enjoys hearing how people view the higher power concept when it is free of the contraints of the "god" language that (she said) permeates AA meetings. my favorite story she told me was a guy who envisioned "god" as a father he never had. this guy said that his higher power carries a photo of him in his wallet. when he meets people, his hp pulls out his wallet and proudly says, "check it out, that's my boy!"

i love this story :)

#5 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

I have been hearing alot of discussion of god in the rooms lately. I for one have no problems with this, however there are many who do. To me, a god of my understanding is just that. My Higher Power doesn't need a name,it simpy is. I rely on my higher power daily to get me through. For anyone who stuggles with that concept I beg you not to give up on a program because of god in the language. The rooms can also be a power greater than myself. I use anything I can as a tool to stay sober. My higher power does for me what I cannot do for myself(stay sober).

When i had my Spiritual Awakening i was not sure at the time what my Higher Power was/is. I did know that something greater than me had touched me. Most of the speakers i hear have not found religion but have found their higher power and either have identified what it is or are working on identifying what it is.

the best way i can put it is the way it was put to me.. "when the last time i was sober what was the one thing more than anything EVER that made me feel that i was infinitesimal? I said what it was and he said that was my higher power. And it works for me.

#6 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,914 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

Interesting article: http://religion.blog...-atheist-at-aa/

#7 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

its interesting that the writer ,who doesnt believe in god/higher power/religion ,ends his article with an "amen.":lol:

#8 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,914 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

I used to not say the Lord's Prayer at the end of meetings until I went to one with my Orthodox friend Izzy. When I saw him saying it I figured it was good enough for me too.

#9 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

i hear ya ,i do not say it for two reasons ,1 i dont know it (i was raised jewish) and 2 i do not believe in religion itself.

#10 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,914 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

By the way, in case your sponsor forgot to tell you: it's considered poor form to hump the speaker's leg during his story.

#11 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:19 AM

speaking of leg humping ,i'm speaking for the first time tomorrow and am wearing my tail!! :clapping: wait till they get a load of me!! :cool:

#12 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,106 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

One school of thought says that since a big reason for doing all of this is to get humble, doing as the Romans do isn't a bad thing.

At least one member of that school has noted that some of the Romans in this area are tending toward closing with the "we version" of another prayer, and he's fine with that.

#13 child_of_boundless_seas

child_of_boundless_seas
  • VibeTribe
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:49 AM

I've dealt with the same issue but then I read the chapter to the agnostics in the Big Book. It said 'do you believe there is a power greater than you in the universe' my answer was absolutely. Do I believe in a conscious god who sends people heaven and hell...no, not at all. I don't like religion either. But I do know I exist and live in a universe beyond our understanding so far, I know somehow this universe created me and everything and everyone in it. It may have ten dimensions, it may be infinite, there may be infinite universes, we may be a cell in some other organism. I don't know, but the unanswered questions are enough for me. Existence takes the form of a question. And whatever others think and talk about, if it keeps them sober, then I am happy it is doing so.