how-to camping health

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 augeleven

augeleven
  • VibeTribe
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

does anybody bring a cpap machine with them camping to the vibes? I'm thinking of bringing a golf cart battery to connect my machine. Any thoughts?? Other than having sleep apnea sucks?

#2 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,211 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Tabbooma knows of someone that brings a portable unit with him to fests, not sure what kind of batteries it had. Will send him a PM to find out. ;)

#3 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 516 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

lol..I too have a CPAP machine but just don't bring it. I know I snore, if it bothers someone just wake me up, we'll have a beer and then try to get back to sleep.

#4 charrity

charrity

• VibeTribe
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

We are working on this same problem. I am going to a place that deals with batteries for c-pap machines in the next few days. I'll post what I find out.

#5 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 8,454 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

if you wanna make friends, buy one of those bulk packets of earplugs and hand them out to neighbors :wink:

i used to vend fests and my female vending buddy snored pretty good...i used to call her my security alarm cuz it *sounded* like there was a 400 lb. guy in the tent behind the booth...no one needed to know it was just my 5 foot 1 little jewish pal, flo :funny1:
(earplugs and an eye mask are my friends when sleeping in a tent)

#6 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Frank has sleep apnea & brings his CPAP - we have a marine battery that we hook up to a power inverter & plug it into that. He says you can run the power inverter out of the cig lighter in the car, but it will drain the car battery.

Earplugs don't help - it's too loud. & then he still feels like crap the next day

#7 cheeseweasel

cheeseweasel
  • VibeTribe
  • 802 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

I have a machine and I purchased a Black&Decker power converter for the car. Plugs right into the lighter port or clamps directly to the battery (comes with cords for either option) and just plug my machine into it like I would at home. Works like a champ and doesn't destroy the battery, even after three 5 hour nights. It has two outlets and has a port for USB phone charging. it was around $50 and one of the best festy investments I've ever made. I highly recommend it for apnea patients using machines.

#8 TroyMcClure

TroyMcClure
  • VibeTribe
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMedford, MA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:04 AM

Got one too (hey Cheese) and I use a battery I bought at BatteryGeek.com, I can get about 3-5-6 hour nights. It depends on your model of cpap machine. I have Recipronics (model can't remember right this sec) w/full face msk. Msg me if you have any questions. I have been camping in lots of places and even charged it at a dinner and such while road tripping. I can't sleep w/o mine unless I am sickingly exhausted. In vest a few hundo into a battery is def. worth it. Don't get me wrong, when I can car camp w/electricity it is so much easier :)

#9 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Milford In the NJ

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Bought me on of these.....
http://www.batteries...KDC12--35J.aspx

and the dc converter for my machine (s9 vpap sv)

Will give me three days of 8 hours and some phone charging time ( highly doubt I'll get close to 8 hours but nap times count too , right?)

You'll want a "deep cycle battery" not a starting battery. "Marine" batteries come in both flavors.

I see it as an investment as well because if a black out happens I still get nice sleepy time. the battery listed above is about half the size of a typical car battery, it's meant for wheel chairs and scooters it's a U1 size. Batteries plus has store all over I just went in and picked it up.

You can also just get a straight up non rechargeable battery/batteries and use it for a few days until its done and that's it.

http://www.zbattery....ies-or-Parallel

#10 TroyMcClure

TroyMcClure
  • VibeTribe
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMedford, MA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

This is what I recommend. Don't remember paying more than $350, but maybe they see more demand now...I will tell you this, if you loose power once and camp a few times it is totally worth it.

I do wish they had a better manual and I did end up replacing the cord once, had this one or very similar for 2-3 years now.

http://www.thebatter...pap-battery.htm

#11 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Get a battery or an inverter for sure augeleven! For the good of boardmanity, plz! I promise to jump your car if it does kill the battery. You'll feel much better during the day too!

#12 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,241 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

Earplugs don't help - it's too loud. & then he still feels like crap the next day

she means hand out earplugs for the people in nearby tents, not for the person with the apnea. :funny1: i needed that giggle!!!! :) :heart:

#13 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 8,454 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

she means hand out earplugs for the people in nearby tents, not for the person with the apnea. :funny1: i needed that giggle!!!! :) :heart:

thanks nancy
i was gonna post that but figured if i wasnt clear the first time...:dunno:
:lol:

vending with flo is why i started wearing ear plugs in the first place at festivals ((((gals who snore like champs)))) :heart:

#14 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 24,784 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Frank has sleep apnea & brings his CPAP - we have a marine battery that we hook up to a power inverter & plug it into that. He says you can run the power inverter out of the cig lighter in the car, but it will drain the car battery.

Sure we all know you just like to tell him to put the mask on. :pimp:

#15 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,859 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

:lol:

#16 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 516 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Is there any disease that I don't have?

#17 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I know :lol: that was just my adhd mind combining 2 thoughts into one! :cheesy:

#18 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Sure we all know you just like to tell him to put the mask on. :gregoir:

Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#19 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,241 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

jake blues and eric were what first made me bring earplugs, now i wouldn't want to go without!

#20 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 8,454 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

yup, jake is a tentshaker! :eek: :lol:

#21 augeleven

augeleven
  • VibeTribe
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for all the input. I found a battery that fits my model of cpap.
http://www.cpap.com/...v-DC-Cable.html
I'll give it a test run this weekend and report on my findings.

It's kind of expensive, but less than the 450 that the other one was. Plus it's only like 4 or 5 lbs and will fit in my backpack.
so Smiles, my roar will be naught but a weird darth vader sound...

#22 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:49 AM

FYI
I set up a camping/power outage rig for a friend using a heavy duty 12v DV charge pack (Automotive jump pack) .
It just needed a cigarette plug adapter to attach it to the CPAP machine... using it 6hrs at a time, it lasted 3 days.

Posted Image

Any 12v car battery will give you a few days sleep time... the more Amp Hours the longer it'll run.

Jump packs come with their own charger or just use a NEW or KNOWN GOOD car battery and bring along a standard 12v auto battery charger just in case.

Just don't try to use some crappy old battery you have lying around, and you should have no problem.

#23 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:07 AM

Wow Aug11, thats hella pricey!

But at least you'll breath/sleep well. And so will our neighbors ;)

#24 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Medical devices always cost more... just because they can!

Just remember 12VDC power is still 12VDC medical or not.

#25 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

:funny1: .. i bring earplugs for me .. God bless the earplugs. ((((folkswithsleepapnea))))

jake blues and eric were what first made me bring earplugs, now i wouldn't want to go without!

and AMEN!

#26 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 516 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

We sound like we're all ready for the nursing homePosted Image

#27 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 516 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hey, at least none of them is using a CPAP machine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: how-to, camping, health