(speaking of sugar) Brushing teeth - 18 months

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

the hardest part of our day is the tooth brushing.

at first Ana liked when we did it in the bath, she smiled, we got the job done, and we moved on. then she started crawling away
she was good when she was holding an object and focusing on that, but she has had enough of that, now.
she wanted to brush our teeth while we brushed hers, and that worked for a bit, and the novelty has worn off.

We've read books with her where the kids brush her teeth and she mimics, and makes the 'SHHHHH' sound of the water coming from the faucet, we've sang Pajanimals songs (First your teeth, 'brusha brusha brusha') and she gets it.. but when it's her turn all hell can break loose these days.

For the last week every morning and night she's had a FIT. We work through it, get the teeth brushed and while we would love to explain to her the reasons, and the importance, she's 18 months, and can't comprehend.

We're thinking of taking her to the store and letting her have her say in a new tooth brush (prolly Elmo, prolly) and seeing if she'll have some sort of attachment to it, and maybe that helps her comfort level.

I hear from most that this task simply sucks the balls, but it's gotta be easier than full blown tears and trying to squirm free from our arms.

We need some hints, tips, ideas to get through this without a full blown tantrum.

thanks!!

#2 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

she's at an age that she wants tyo do things herself, so
I'd get her a new toothbrush & let her brush (chew) for a bit &^ try a 'my turn, your turn' type thing. Let her go for a minute, then say my turn & brush a section for a few seconds, then give her a minute or 2 etc. etc.

#3 cj

cj

canadian, eh!

• VibeTribe
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

i would say you are on exactly the right track and that eventually she will get it. just keep on keepin' on! the was she is acting is completely normal. frustrating, but completely normal.

you could try switching up the times that you brush teeth, maybe if you do it earlier in the evening or right after supper she won't be as tired therefore less likely to tantrum.

definitely get her two toothbrushes -- ana's and the helper toothbrush for mommy & daddy.

there are toothbrushes you can get with a light that flashes for two minutes, you could get one of those and try brushing in the dark until the light stops flashing.

you could have her look in the mirror with her mouth open and ask, "which tooth are we going to clean first?" until she has chosen enough teeth that her mouth is clean.

though she is only 18 mos and can't understand the long term ramifications of tooth decay, she does understand simple directions like, "we always brush our teeth when we get ready for bed," or "we always brush our teeth after we eat supper." as long as you are consistent, it will help her to accept it. and like mama kel said, she wants to do things herself so include her in the process, like let her put the toothpaste on the brush, or let her hold the brush under the water, etc.

good luck!!

#4 Misha

Misha

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

Jude's a huge pain in the ass when it comes to teeth brushing! :rolleyes:

#5 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I wanted to report that Ana has been much better. we've taken the position of laying her on her back across my lap, looking up at me, but it works.

Also, Elmo is on the new toothbrush. if Elmo is involved, she's down. and she's even trying to do it herself now, too.

progress. :beer:

#6 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,233 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

YAY :clapping: