• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

i'm taking a class tonight - $5 and very small, seems like something that i might like. hope so! :)

i also want to take a bellydancing class, there's a few around here that i'm finding - one is even free! :)

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

Nope, don't even know what it is.

#3 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

a couple of women have come into my store looking for music they can "zumba" to. it's a kind of dance.

#4 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

I take zumba!
Im clumsy but it's FUN FUN FUN! I like to shake my ass and pretend Im jlo

#5 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

it's latin dance of some sort.... lots o' wigglin' and shakin'. that's all i know so far! :lol:

#6 reveur

reveur
  • VibeTribe
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

super fun but not easy (and I was a dancer for 13 years). Just jump around in tempo and you'll be fine. :funny1:

#7 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

well it was fun and i had a private lesson! :lol: i did well, didn't worry about the arms too much but i did very well. i have a dance background too, so picking up steps and routines comes somewhat easily - having it be just me there tonight worked out great. but you can't be a minute late, it's an upstairs location and the door on the street is supposed to be locked at 5. once they start at 5:15 they can't check the door to see if anyone is waiting. i work just a couple blocks away so hopefully i won't get shut out! only the first class is $5, it's $10 per class ongoing.

#8 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

This thread is worthless without pics of you in your Jane Fonda workout outfit :lol:

#9 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

yeah, good luck with that. :lol:

and i can tell that i am soooooooooooooooooooooo going to feel this tomorrow! i gotta go stretch my butt! :blush: :lol:

#10 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

not as sore today as i thought i'd be. for the last 20 mins or so of the class, i was really starting to feel my broken toe. wasn't expecting that!

#11 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

i wanna zumba!! :)
they have classes at my gym but at inconvenient times. boo! maybe i'll get a video.. :)

#12 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

i can see you zumbaing, absolutely! :)

#13 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,031 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:27 AM

it's some wild shit. :clapping:

#14 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

:)

#15 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:04 AM

ok, as a dancer i hate the posture, and i feel like all that swinging around in those bent over positions could easily cause back damage. thoughts?

#16 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

'swinging around in bent over positions' - - we must not have gotten that far. :funny1:

so that last class didn't work out long term, since it was such a small class she didn't seem to worry about not showing up sometimes. then i heard the facility was closing but she wasn't sure and meh. not motivating. i don't think she was a very good teacher either but i'll find out soon!

a new 6 week session starts tonight! :dance: i'm going to a fabulous place, also close to work, called 'lemon tree yoga'. i paid in advance for two classes a week and one of them is just zumba and the other is called "zumba 20/20/20", which is 20 mins of zumba, 20 mins of kickboxing and 20 mins of conditioning. that's the weds class. i'm excited. not sure i can walk from work to there in time for class but maybe when the roads and sidewalks clear i'll be able to. or, i'll be biking to work again this spring too...

boogie oogie oogie! :)

#17 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

My girls like it, they have it before school for like 30 minutes. More exercise than they get from having gym class one day a 6 day cycle.

#18 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

very fun class! 12 people and i don't know what they consider 'full' but i thought that was just enough. most are carrying over from the last session so they already know the routines but i'm not worried, one other person was new to the studio and two whined about how hot it was and took a break. there's a sign that says there's a $5 charge for whining. :funny1: me, i like it warm! :) the teacher was fun and organized and not even the slightest bit intimidating, if i miss a class i can take a make up class at another time if i want to and the flooring was perfect. :thup: i'm looking forward to the 20/20/20 class on weds. :dance:

#19 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Good for you Nancy!! :jamguy:

#20 annieL

annieL
  • VibeTribe
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

I love Zumba! I go three days a week and each class is totally different because there are three different teachers. :wook:

#21 annieL

annieL
  • VibeTribe
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

yeah we don't normally swing around while in a bent position but there is a lot of bending and swinging going on. :coffee:

#22 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

20/20/20 tonight. was a little lost last week not having done any kickboxing before but once i get the basic form down i'll feel more comfortable with it. i definitely felt that class the day after! :)

this week's zumba was cancelled due to 16" of snow so i'm going to see if i can take a make up class on saturday.

and next week i'll have both classes plus a 2-hour zumba fund raiser on friday benefitting a local lady with breast cancer.

#23 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

You need to post in the getting ripped for Vibes thread :devil:

#24 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

No but I would like to. :)

The wellness center in town offers classes.

#25 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,587 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

You need to post in the getting ripped for Vibes thread :devil:

Nancykind > :halfstar:

#26 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

tonight is a 2 hour zumba fund raiser for a local lady with breast cancer at a school not very far from my house. not sure i'll do all two hours but would like to do at least 90 minutes, for sure. i imagine there will be some breaks anyway since - as far as i know - there's only one instructor there. dance dance shake shake wiggle wiggle. :funny1:

#27 George

George
  • VibeTribe
  • 377 posts
  • LocationGlendora,NJ

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

My wife goes two nights a week and loves it!

#28 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

I missed my normal saturday class so I took zumba this week.... it was really fun but my gym is having a fight w the neighbors about the music and so it wasn't as loud and fun and I like it - i feel like a good cardio class needs pumping music!

#29 thegoodwife

thegoodwife
  • VibeTribe
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

let me know if you have kept out with zumba. there is a local place by my job where i can go, but same story, its once a day and later than i want to sit at my desk. have you tried to get a dvd at the library. that's my next attempt at exercise. my honey takes off early to work so i can pop in the dvd with only my dogs to look at me and question why the hopping and bobbing. LOL. need to tone up.:wink:

#30 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

i love it so much i drove straight from the airport to class with what turned out to be a broken toe, on monday. :lol: could i do it at home? sure. would i?? :tongue1: for me, there's definitely something to the instructing, the group synch and the overall interaction.

#31 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

I finally found a place around here that has Zumba! Tomorrow night, 8pm. I'll post my review after :boogie:

#32 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

Post #1s of the sweaty hams on the table
:rotf:

#33 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

Post #1s of the sweaty hams on the table
:rotf:

:carla:

:lol:

#34 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

awesome! :dance:

#35 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:02 AM

Went to my first class tonight. It was awesome! Going in I figured I would last 20-30 minutes but I kept up with the instructor for the whole 60 minutes WOOT! The jumping is a little hard on my bad knee, but then again I forgot to wear my knee brace. I am definitely going again! Everyone seemed to have a good sense of humor too which made for a lot of laughs. :smile:

No hams landed on the floor either :lol:

#36 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

zumba is fun :)

#37 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

go at your own pace Karen, there shouldn't be any pressure to be just like anyone else there. glad you had fun! :)

#38 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

Going back tonight! :boogie:

#39 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

:dance:

i don't always do the jumping, it depends on how my ankles are feeling that day. i did just almost do my first real push-up of my whole life last night though - i have never been able to do real push-ups. my legs can break down doors but my arms have always been on the weak side. this change is mostly due to the kickboxing/zumba/conditioning class, but it was pretty exciting to me, and the instructor said she was so happy that she thought she might cry. :lol: i told her 'me too!!!' :tongue1: she knew how hard i've been working to get off the 'cheater push-ups' and i only moved two or three inches but i didn't fall and i got myself back up every time. yay me. :)

#40 luminamom

luminamom
  • VibeTribe
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

so, NancyKind, it's been a year since the last post, r u still shakin it @ zumba? i saw the name of this topic & couldnt resist; in my husband's words, i m a zumba junkie lol; i was just @ a class this afternoon; i have been goin about 4 years now & if u have a great instructor, it is a ton of fun; i have been blessed w/ 2 fabulous zumba instructors, who along w/ diet & gym have helped me lose 40 lbs since last October; next up, hooping :) anyways, nice to find a fellow DH who also loves to shake it zumba style :)

--Boogie On

#41 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,807 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

ok, as a dancer i hate the posture, and i feel like all that swinging around in those bent over positions could easily cause back damage. thoughts?

Different instructors have different styles, that's for sure. I prefer the ones that aren't so fussy and overchoreographed because it feels like my form improves a lot and I can really feel where I want to work- especially my side abs whatever they are called.

I take clients weekly to zumba to get them moving- it's definitely not the pace of my gym but I still sweat and they have fun and get off their butts. My gym is no joke- love it.

#42 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,714 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

i hated it
i have never felt so uncoordinated and gotten a headache from realllly loud music ever
:plain:

but if it gets your endorphins going, go for it! :dance:

#43 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

i haven't done zumba since cancer treatment started luminamom but i definitely plan on getting back into it. i've kept on the yoga though. my stamina ain't what it used to be, so i'm getting my brain ready to not go all out when i do start zumba again! :lol: i have my eye on a 7:30am class this saturday as a matter of fact and would like to give my dvd a shot first, too. i do :heart: gratuitous butt shaking - i mean zumba! :wink:

#44 likethefall

likethefall
  • VibeTribe
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

I just got certified to teach Zumba!!

#45 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:43 AM