Babies/kids and sugar

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

My ex gives our 15 month old son way too much sugar. sips of soda, frosting or whole cupcakes, cookies, it goes on and on. I'm worried he's going to get diabetes. Am I being irrational? It drives me crazy. Just because she has a sweet tooth doesn't mean she needs to expose him to that much sugar. Please someone give me some scientific reason why babies should not eat so much sugar. A link to an article that I could forward her would be great, or else just a basis for my argument

#2 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

http://health.kaboos...-nutrition.html

I wouldn't necessarily worry about diabetes unless it runs in your families. But kids (all people really) get waaaaaaaaayyyyy too much sugar just in everyday products - all processed foods, fast foods, cereals, juice etc have high amounts of sugar. Then add things like soda, candy etc & it's crazy. It could do damage to his teeth, could cause wide mood swings, sugar crashes & spikes & reduce the amount of healthy foods (and the nutirents & vitamins that come with them) that he eats because he is full on sugary products.

I'd be more worried about the habits he is forming. Bad eating/food habits start at this age. He is only going to get pickier & harder to feed as he goes through 2's & 3's. If he already is starting to turn down healthy foods for processed, high sugar foods, it's only going to get worse.

But maybe all you can do is to feed him healthy with you when you can. Good luck <3

#3 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

maybe suggest she give him sweet fruits as opposed to artificial sweets?
i agree w/ mama kel & i've seen first hand the sort of damage too many sweets can do to a young child's teeth. a friend of mine had to have her 4 yr old put under anesthesia to have a massive amount of cavities filled...all because the kid was given candy daily & brushing his teeth was a struggle more times than not.

giving a kid soda?? i have no idea why anyone would ever do that, but that's just my personal opinion

#4 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

This was something I tired to address when my half sisters were little (they're twins and we're 20 years apart). Just because they had their vitamins didn't mean they were living healthy. Our dad made tasty veggies that were unfortunately drowned in butter and cheese, with ice cream for dessert every night. When they were with me for overnights I would either cook and have them participate or go to a healthy restaurant (they both LOVE Thai to this day). I'd buy ww pizza crust and a ton of veggies and we'd have "make your own pizza nights". I know he's little but have him help and be present when you prepare food and do not condemn his mother. There are ice pop recipes that are healthy and sweet ie; coconut milk and oj, raspberry and strawberry with seltzer for the fizz effect, etc.. Good luck Heady. :)

#5 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Yes. Getting him involved in the kitchen helps with healthy eating. My kids have been 'cooking' with me since they could stand!

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

In Ayurvedic sweet corresponds to cold and wet.

#7 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,203 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

What corresponds to hot and wet?

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

I did not inquire.

#9 Again and Again

Again and Again
  • VibeTribe
  • 808 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

Does the baby nap well and sleep well at night? If not - you can blame that on the sugar and try an experimental week with no sugar. I bet you'll see results!

#10 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'd be a litlle bothered too, heady. there's just no need for a 15 month old to eat that crap, and know it's out there so they can crave it.

I'm with Kel on this.. it's the habit and the desire for more. we try to give Ana as little as possible, and even when she has ice cream, it's only a lil bit.

she does love the sugars in fruit though, especially Mango.

#11 Again and Again

Again and Again
  • VibeTribe
  • 808 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

What corresponds to hot and wet?

Keith

#12 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,070 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY