Photo
- - - - -

The Price of a Yoga Class: Whats too much to pay?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

So I finally found a yoga studio that I liked. The Price was $15 for 1hr 30mins. For me this was really pushing in price for what I would pay for a class. So the summer session ended and the studio decided to raise the price to $20 a class. This crossed the line which equaled me going back to practicing on my own till I find an affordable near by studio. I really enjoy yoga and all it's benefits but I have a line in what I would pay.

So my question for everyone is what is the max price that would stop you from going to a studio?

#2 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,109 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

$15-$20 is the average by me for a class. Maybe find a studio that offers multi-class or unlimited plans? Usually drives the price per down a bit. I know of one by me that offers monthly unlimited passes so if you tend to go 2 or more times a week it really brings the price down.

As far as how much is too much--it would probably have to go to $25 for me to put the brakes on.

#3 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,241 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

$20 would have to be an amazing, highly recommended class for me. $10 is more in my price range but i've paid $15 when i knew the teacher and class was really good.

#4 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,241 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

but i live in oregon :lol:

#5 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

The studio I LOVE charges 20 a class...but also has 10 class cards for 150, unlimited monthly, yearly, etc. Those are also Jersey prices.

I won't pay more than 20 a class...and even that is tough.

Ask if they'll do a work trade. At a hot vinyasa studio up here, I work one class a week...I sign everyone, wait 15 minutes for late comers, then hop in class myslf....I was excited to get one free class outta the deal...but he gave me free unlimited yoga as long as I work one day. The other studio I manage thier newletter in exchange for yoga :)

#6 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:15 AM

20 is YIKES. I wouldn't pay that. Mine are 15 per class but if you do a yoga pass (meaning, buy 10 classes), it's only 12 per class

#7 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

I might buy a 10 class book. It winds up being $13 a class and last for a whole year. I really like this studio, and it's also a 5 min walk for me, which is a bonus in it self.

#8 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

All the yoga classes I teach are $20 a class, except for my discounted Karma class which is a $10 drop in. I was shocked when I moved to Jersey and the land of the $20 drop in. When I left Boston, drop ins at most studios were hovering between $12-$17.

I think these days you'd be hard pressed to find a studio that charges less than $15-20 per class, unless it's a donation based studio (which are actually cropping up all over - there's a new one in Long Branch, NJ (Inspired Life Studios) where I have been presenting monthly Yoga for Health workshops. We usually charge $45 for those workshops, but at the donation studio the requested donation was $25.

I pay $45 -$75 for workshops and intensives pretty much monthly. They're usually a 2-4 hour class.

#9 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

That's a great thought Joe, do a little research and find out if anyone has community classes by you. Starseed yoga in montclair has a community class like 4 times a week, other studios around ther at least once. they have a suggest donation of 5 bucks...if you could average it out to 20 for one 5 for another it would be like 12.50 per class...just a thought.

And I suggest getting the card 13 bucks a class may make you go classes more often. Yoga really has helped change my life over the past 6 months(I can't belieive I"m saying that LOL I used to be so anti yoga)

#10 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

That's a great thought Joe, do a little research and find out if anyone has community classes by you. Starseed yoga in montclair has a community class like 4 times a week, other studios around ther at least once. they have a suggest donation of 5 bucks...if you could average it out to 20 for one 5 for another it would be like 12.50 per class...just a thought.

And I suggest getting the card 13 bucks a class may make you go classes more often. Yoga really has helped change my life over the past 6 months(I can't belieive I"m saying that LOL I used to be so anti yoga)

I found a meetup group that has free class's on Sundays and occasionally free class's during the week. Which equals one paid class a week and one free class. That definitely evens out the price.

#11 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

I wouldn't pay $20 for a class unless it was a special 2 hour class or something. $12-15 is still steep to me, but I would pay it to check out a new place. I usually get a punch card or unlimited pass. My most recent punch card was $170 for 20 classes, so $8.50 a class. That's the right price for me. :wink:
Last year I had a 9 month unlimited pass that also included 2 strength training classes a week. I went a LOT and more than made up my $. At one point I figured out that I was paying something like $6.50 a class.

#12 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

most places near me are $20ish..... I pay $25 per class for pilates though so $20 for yoga actually seems kinda like a deal to me at this point

I will definitely recommend trying out groupon.com in your area though bc I got a 10 class card for $35 in the town next to me and I do see similar deals all the time

just make sure you will actually use it bc I think that I am going to lose the $$ I put out for a boot camp class bc they are only early in the AM and I never feel like going

#13 Luna

Luna
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,773 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerze

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

20 is YIKES. I wouldn't pay that. Mine are 15 per class but if you do a yoga pass (meaning, buy 10 classes), it's only 12 per class

That's cause you live in Rhode Island :lol:

$20 is pretty average. I agree w Erin Joe...a lot of studios offer community donation-based classes...or look for a studio where you get the first class free.

#14 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

or look for a studio where you get the first class free.

I've already used those up at all the local yoga studios. :wink:

#15 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:15 AM

try a community center in your area, or join a gym. geez, some gym memberships charge 30-40 a month (and offer free yoga classes). if you're really serious and want to practice a lot, check out the gym option?

#16 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:03 PM

try a community center in your area, or join a gym. geez, some gym memberships charge 30-40 a month (and offer free yoga classes). if you're really serious and want to practice a lot, check out the gym option?

I use to belong to a gym when I lived in NJ and took yoga class's. It wasn't as good as some studio's I've been too but For $45 a month membership and included unlimited class's it was worth it. Right now my apartment building has a gym that I use on a regular basis, so as for me paying to go to a gym that's not going happen. In the mean time I joined a meetup group that has free class's 3 times a week and that's been working out well for me.

#17 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:51 AM

Groupon Joe ;). 15 punch card for 70 bucks. For drop in, I tend to shy away at anything higher than 20. I don't go often enough for the price to really matter (like twice a month?), but it's more the type of clinetele. don't like yogaing with the type of women who leave all their diamonds on and keep their phone close.

#18 Drewbie420

Drewbie420
  • VibeTribe
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

I bet the studio will have a number of different passes you can buy, with the price going down wit hthe more classes you purchase at once.
Thank You
Namaste
Drew

#19 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 614 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

I might buy a 10 class book. It winds up being $13 a class and last for a whole year. I really like this studio, and it's also a 5 min walk for me, which is a bonus in it self.

You're in the same boat pose I'm in, so to speak. I just joined a studio myself for one month because it was convenient to get to and they had a promotion on.

I am finding that most studios here really do try and entice you to stay by offering other specials month to month. So I look at my option each month depending n where I am financially. If I can afford it that particular month I will get an unlimited monthly membership, and maybe let that run out in favor of a 10 class booking offer they had as part of the next month's promotions and practice more at home, etc. Keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground, you'll figure it out.:wink1:

#20 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

I just found a yoga studio right by me that had a great deal on yoga class's. A book of 10 class's for $110. Top it off they don't expire. I guess I found my new yoga studio. It's the right price, class's are at times that work for me, and the studio is on the way home from work. This all equals perfect.

#21 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

I pay 8 a class
or
20 per week (unlimited)
or
60 per month (unlimited)

My place uses Living Social about every 4 or 5 months where you can get a month for 20 bucks! (like I did last month)
El Chuco is a very inexpensive place to live.

#22 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 429 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Erin and Luna said what I was going to say. (slowly backs out of thread...) :funny1:

#23 PKMister

PKMister
  • VibeTribe
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Joe, $16 seems to be about average but you might want to ask if they have packages. My yoga studio is $16 per class but I buy 10 at once and it is discounted to $11 per class :) hope that helps. Keep it up fellow yogi!!

#24 PKMister

PKMister
  • VibeTribe
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Just went back and read your thread....haha great minds think alike. Glad it worked out :)