• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ashleyoverdrive

ashleyoverdrive
  • VibeTribe
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hi all!

Much against the expectations of anyone who knew me in high school, I recently joined a sorority (NY Alpha chapter of Pi Beta Phi at Syracuse University) and I am 100% in love with everything about it. Two things, however:

1. This upcoming school year, I will be living in the chapter house and could not be more excited, but I'm living in a very small room with one of my sisters and it's going to be a challenge to fit all of our stuff in such a cramped space. From living in a dorm room this past year, I've picked up a few tips on how to stay organized [under-bed storage, shoe racks, stackable containers/shelves, etc.] but I was wondering if anyone else had any pointers on how to hold all my stuff in the near broom-closet that will be my bedroom next year? I've taken a couple cardboard boxes and covered them in duct tape to create storage bins but I'm totally open to suggestions.

2. I want to start making crafts for the house! We are free to decorate it with Pi Phi related items as much as we please so long as we're not in violation of fire code [Christmas lights, blocking sprinklers/smoke detectors, etc.]. Our mascot is an angel/angel wings/halo and our symbol is an arrow. I mainly want to get party themes/craft ideas for our recruitment process, where we have themed "events" to give potential new members a chance to see our house and meet the sisters. Past events have included Valentine's Day package making for soldiers overseas, Oscar's Night in cocktail attire, Around the World with different foods from different areas, and so on. I have a couple ideas but again, I want to see if anyone else has any suggestions [especially non-Greeks who might not give me the same trite ideas we keep running into haha].

Thank you all so much!
-Ashley

PS If there are any Greek sisters on here, please feel free to follow my blog on tumblr -->
www.notyourtypicalsororitygirl.tumblr.com

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

I was gonna, but I'm not gonna touch this one :lol:

#3 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

milk crates will outlast cardboard boxes w/ duck tape, and "free" if you know where to look.
speakers go on walls or ceilngs - not the floor.
bunk beds / murphy bed / hinged platform / raised paltform

#4 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

As for small spaces - go up! Shelves are your friend

We weren't quite so girlie so we did more like a poster and sign making session at our house before a campus wide Take Back the Night walk, open ice skating at the Field house with our letters prominently on display with the proceeds going to our philanthropy.

In our house every wall was covered in our letters and symbols because we made felt banners for alumnae functions, greek week and major parties/mixers with other houses along with gifts to the other houses for those functions. So sometimes it was a huge plank that got painted with a scene that included all the letters and symbols, mascots whatever, other times it was a felt banner to commemorate the event, a few times it was whatever they really liked, like one house next door loved to throw old TVs off their balcony so for our hell night we got a few and painted them up with flames and whatnot for their gift so they had some fun smashing things with our new girls

#5 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

get cube shelves from ikea or bed bath and beyond.

You can use baskets in them as well.