• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationNew Rochelle, NY

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

So my friend is looking to go to AC tomorrow but is leaving from the eastern part of the Bronx around 3 pm. He's basically fucked, but i was wondering if anyone had any tips for him. He's close to the Bruckner, but i dont think that helps much since youll be on the FDR, and even if he could get to the Holland Tunnnel, that would be quite a bitch to get into at 4 pm. Going north to the Tappan Zee doesnt make much sense because that will not be pleasant to get on to either.

So he's forced to take the GWB. Despite what out-of-towners think, he shouldnt hit any major traffic if he can get to the Henry Hudson. The traffic that way will come on the Turnpike around Giants Stadium. So any advice on how to avoid that? I'm thinking 46 to the Garden St. Does that make sense? I need some jersey help here.

#2 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

So my friend is looking to go to AC tomorrow but is leaving from the eastern part of the Bronx around 3 pm. He's basically fucked, but i was wondering if anyone had any tips for him. He's close to the Bruckner, but i dont think that helps much since youll be on the FDR, and even if he could get to the Holland Tunnnel, that would be quite a bitch to get into at 4 pm. Going north to the Tappan Zee doesnt make much sense because that will not be pleasant to get on to either.

So he's forced to take the GWB. Despite what out-of-towners think, he shouldnt hit any major traffic if he can get to the Henry Hudson. The traffic that way will come on the Turnpike around Giants Stadium. So any advice on how to avoid that? I'm thinking 46 to the Garden St. Does that make sense? I need some jersey help here.

Cant he get on the Garden State Parkway up before the GWB?

That would be my advsie.

Get on GSP and stay there until he gets to AC expressway.

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Get on GSP and stay there until he gets to AC expressway

#4 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Andy, the only other way would be the Tappan Zee, and, at that time, it will be too backed up. My question really was how to get to the GSP. Does 46 make the most sense? 80? 4? go along the river to Jersey City and get on a hwy there?

#5 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Andy, the only other way would be the Tappan Zee, and, at that time, it will be too backed up. My question really was how to get to the GSP. Does 46 make the most sense? 80? 4? go along the river to Jersey City and get on a hwy there?

that seems like really out of the way. i know you can take the njtp south from the gwb until it crosses w/ the gsp, but there will prolly be some heavy traffic, prolly

#6 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,675 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Summer time, 3 PM on a friday? Heavy traffic without a doubt!!

Why not take the train from Penn?

#7 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

take the staten island expressway to the outer bridge and bypass everything...seriously, i grew up by the gwb...at that time he is fucked no matter what

#8 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

I checked amtrak, there's no direct train. Youd have to go Philly first and deal with a layover.

And yes jnjn, there will heavy traffic. I've gone to enough Friday shows in Camden to know where, so I'm looking to help him avoid it.

#9 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

take the staten island expressway to the outer bridge and bypass everything...seriously, i grew up by the gwb...at that time he is fucked no matter what

How would you get to the Staten Island Expwy from the Bronx?

#10 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

and dont take 46 or rt 4 to the GSP...ull hit newark traffic and that is just as bad. if you cant do the outer bridge just take the turnpike to the GSP...its gonna suck but its better than the alternatives.

exit 11 i think?

#11 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Looking at the map of the area, I think the Tapanzee would be a better otpion than the GWB.

I would advise him to listen to 1010 wins and get the traffic report and make a desicion then.

I am not familar with 46, but I am guessing the best two options are Turnpike to exit 10>GSP, or 80>GSP.

#12 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

How would you get to the Staten Island Expwy from the Bronx?

I would not go this way at all.

You would have to take the BQE all the way to the Verrazano, then through SI to Outerbridge and to GSP (which is the same spot as Turnpike exit 10 to get on GSP).

#13 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

you gotta backtrack a bit...take the throgs neck or the whitestone and head towards the verizanno

#14 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

You would have to take the BQE all the way to the Verrazano, then through SI to Outerbridge and to GSP (which is the same spot as Turnpike exit 10 to get on GSP).

he is trying to avoid the GWB...thats the whole point. unless he wants to sit in traffic for 4 hours

#15 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Agree. That would be a cluster fuck and a half.

I would take the GWB if he can get the Harlem River Drive fairly easily. That puts you right at the beginning of the bridge.

#16 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

he is trying to avoid the GWB...thats the whole point. unless he wants to sit in traffic for 4 hours

Trying to get to SI will take 3:30 hours. Same difference.

#17 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

No Augie. I'm not trying to have him avoid the gwb. By way of the Henry Hudson he wont have a problem. I'm looking to have him avoid the most northern part of the Turnpike.

#18 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

Are you sure there is not a direct train from Penn?

I believe from Memorial Day to Labor Day there is a direct train. I took it before, maybe they discontinued it?

#19 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

I'm taking the train from New Haven. Only 30 minutes in Philly to change from Amtrak to NJ Transit.

#20 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,903 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

I'm taking the train from New Haven. Only 30 minutes in Philly to change from Amtrak to NJ Transit.

hell ya. that's how I'd do it.

#21 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

I guess the layover isnt that bad, but i think the timing didnt work out. The earliest he would be able to make it to Penn would be 3:30.

#22 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

I just looked at the 1010 wins traffic and northern NJ looks fine. The route to Staten Island looks awful.

#23 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

its gonna be a tough drive...5 hours prolly...maybe more. i wish him the best <3

#24 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

I just looked at the 1010 wins traffic and northern NJ looks fine. The route to Staten Island looks awful.

its not the weekend yet ;)

#25 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

its gonna be a tough drive...5 hours prolly...maybe more. i wish him the best <3

Nah. Normally its 2.5. The traffic should add an hour. Unless he hits more traffic on the end of the GSP towards the AC Expwy.

#26 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Prolly more than 5 is right. The only time I cross any of the bridges is 4 am. Fuck that!

Usually 2 1/2 from Bx....factor in Friday rush hour, summer, nj beach traffic.

Let us know how long it took and which way.

#27 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

It might not be as bad as driving on the Cross Bronx, but the BQE has got to be pretty close at that time. It doesnt make sense to add 2 bridges and Brookjlyn to your trek. I know the traffic north of the city really well. Trust me. Im looking for JERSEY help.

#28 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

my last trip to ac...at the same time...on a friday...in the dead of winter....6 hours. all GSP traffic :dunno:
i guess ya just never know

#29 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

Prolly more than 5 is right. The only time I cross any of the bridges is 4 am. Fuck that!

Let us know how long it took and which way.

3 is early enough to be able to avoid the traffic in the Bronx. And it's still not quite rush hour yet. After 3:30 in Jersey is where there's a problem.

#30 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

henrey hudson > GWB > turnpike > GSP is prolly the best bet.

i wouldnt get on the GSP so far north as u'll get slammed with newark-irvington-oranges traffic...at least the turnpike has some flow

#31 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Ok.

We left LI at 12 pm 3 weeks ago for Mighty High. Got to the Cross Bx at 1 pm. They put new signs up at the Throgs Neck...it said ETA for GWB....1 1/2 hours. :lol: We got off as soon as we seen the brake lights. It was a total shit show...one lane closed on the west bound, road work.

#32 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

i'm telling ya...njtp to gsp (it crosses near SI)
i win :lol:

#33 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

the jersy part is gonna be fucked on the GSP or the Turnpike, no matter what. the whole are in and around Newark on both roads will blow. and it's seriously awful on the GSP without the extra shore bound traffic

if you want to avoid the giants stadium area down to Newark on the west spur of the NJTP, then it's 80 -> 17-> GSP, or the eastern spur before you get to the tolls.

I would plan on HH -> GWB -> NJ turnpike (C-T-B lanes) EASTERN SPUR -> GSP.

#34 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

actually 440 lets you off 1 exit further than the turnpike...you definitely win :lol:

#35 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

and be ready to be flexible with the east v. west spur as you get closer in case of an accident of some surge of volume. i do think there is ongoing construction on the east spur, but once you get out of that toll you SHOULD be ok.

#36 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Also, additional traffic for holiday (father's day) weekend?

#37 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

father's day usually isn't any worse than a normal weekend... it's mother's day up here that's the bitch.

I live 10 miles north of the GWB, and travel to Staten Fucking Island for most major holidays (in-laws). I always jump on in Fort Lee right after the bridge and use the Turnpike, Eastern Spur when ever there is no major accident or volume event.

eastern spurs gets bad when people are going to the city on fridays, but that's the winter pattern for christmas trees and broadway.. everyone will be leaving the city, and most coming across the GWB stick west spur, since the east spur signage includes the Lincoln Tunnel.

When I lived further west from where I am now, and traveled to the shore area I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get jammed up on the GSP north of Newark, and depending on how bad it is, you can have that shit all the way until that crazy ass bridge and the local / express split. then once you get south of the split you'll have more nonsense.

#38 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

I live 10 miles north of the GWB, and travel to Staten Fucking Island for most major holidays (in-laws).

oh come on, you know you love that drive! :lol:

#39 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Thanks J-me! I've been waiting for you to see this thread. :bigsmile:

#40 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Leave earlier; he's basically f'd leaving that late.

#41 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:07 AM

I would also say that while there will be "normal" traffic heading down in N NJ every time I have been to AC (2 or 3 times so not tons of experience but its been true all times) is that the traffic after the gsp/tpike merge is what really sucks - its summer traffic and its heading way down the shore

if you /they have a gps and use the alternate route feature that might help a bit but basically its the worse drive ever from my place so I don't see what an extra few miles of traffic is really going to change

#42 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

How is traffic around this time on Sunday?

#43 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

I would think heading down on sunday wouldn't be too bad -- maybe some traffic on the shore when you get close but most people are heading back north on sunday so going south will be relatively easy

#44 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

How is traffic around this time on Sunday?

easy peasy. everyone will be headed north on Sunday, not south. take the Tappanzee to the Garden State Parkway. you might hit a bit of gridlock around the Oranges on the GSP, and maybe a bit around exit 80, but mostly it should be clear sailing.

James's buddy, on the other hand, is kinda screwed. the clusterf*ck up by the GWB/Cross Bronx/Tpk is an issue, commuters on the Parkway at 5pm will be an issue especially if there's road construction, and shore traffic *might* be an issue.

if he has a GPS i'd suggest using it to the best of its abilities for alternate routes. unfortunately that doesn't really help with the GSP portion of the trip because there's no real alternative to the GSP (Rt 9 is a single lane highway the whole way). but it will help him get away from NYC as quickly as possible.

safe travels everyone! see you in AC :dance:

#45 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Thuggie! See you Sunday!

#46 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

I totally don't miss driving in that area :lol:

Have fun in AC everyone! :)

#47 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

OH! and from what i heard last night, parking passes are for satellite parking areas around town, with shuttles to the actual venue. (which sucks, because we made plans with everyone to meet in the lot, and this kinda foils that plan i think)

but with that being said, there's no real reason to take the Black Horse Pike (Rt. 40) or even the Expressway into the city. to avoid traffic, anyone with a GPS or any local knowledge of AC at all should take the White Horse Pike instead (Rt 30). from the Parkway southbound, that's exit 40, then a straight shot into AC from Absecon on 30. it drops you at the far end of the Boardwalk (Revel, Showboat, Taj) but it will be easier getting across town than getting into town via the Expressway or Rt 40.

#48 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

How did this work out for ya?