• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:09 PM

I really need to learn to love this veggie. I'm not sure why I dislike it so much.

I'm going to give kale chips another go...but how do you cook Kale?

I'm looking to incoporate more greens into my diet(besides spinach) which ones are your favorite, and how do you prepare them?

#2 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:10 AM

steam it and smother it in butter. eat it immediately before it starts cooling off!

#3 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:22 AM

I'm so with you on this one Erin, wish I could find a way to like it, or any other kind of greens that need to be cooked. I was so excited about my farm-fresh mustard greens that looked awesome but once steamed, tasted like bitter tree bark. And what's with these stinging nettle things anyway?

#4 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:08 AM

haven't tried this recipe, but looks like a good one for sauteed kale... yum!!!

Ingredients:

1 bunch of kale, washed and chopped into bite-size pieces
1 yellow onion, sliced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1/2 cup of vegetable broth or water
Sea salt and pepper, to taste (optional)

Directions:

Warm olive oil over medium heat in a large *** or pan. Add onions and cook for 3-5 minutes or until slightly translucent. Be sure to stir the onions around once in a while so that they don't burn.

Add garlic and kale and mix them together with onions. Allow garlic, kale and onions to cook for one minute, then add vegetable broth and cover *** or pan for 4-6 minutes. Check kale from time to time starting at the 4 minute mark for tenderness.

Once kale is tender, add sea salt and just a few drops of lemon juice. Give it one last stir and serve.

Be sure to taste as you add lemon juice. Adding too much can turn the whole dish sour.

Enjoy this dish with avocado and a bowl of brown rice or quinoa.

#5 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

You mean, the plate garnish? :tongue:

:lol:

j/k

I really haven't tried it, so I can't offer any suggestions. People post about kale chips all the time. Someday when I'm feeling adventurous I'd like to try them. :)

#6 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

Why do you need to love it? :huh: I know it's good for you and all, but there are plenty of other good things out there. I've tried Kale about a dozen ways (sauted, steamed, chips, baked in lasagna, juiced, ...) and it just doesn't do it for me. I've given up on kale :dunno:

#7 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

I like bitter greens.... so I might not be a good judge but I had this over the weekend and loved it (though I accidentally dumped half of my brand new bottle of pink salt on them and had to rewash them twice and they were still a bit crunchy) -- the secret is letting it sit in the oil/lemon to wilt a bit (also I didn't use any cheese bc of the salt incident I thought I was all set w savory)
http://kalynskitchen...h-pecorino.html

I also will cook kale (and other bitter greens) often at home - I find that blanching (dunk in boiling water for like 1 min then into ice cold water) and then sauteing in bacon/pepperoni/ ham/pancetta/ sausage (any strong meat) makes them delicious....but perhaps the meat makes them less "healthy"

also try putting them in soup... I make sausage, bean and kale soup a lot in the winter and its great - though bc the kale cooks so long in the soup its basically all broken down so again not as nutritious (but since you drink soup liquid I guess it all makes its way in?)

finally there are different types of kale -- the red one and curly one are less bitter and easier to deal w than the regular type

#8 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:35 PM

i almost bought some kale today but instead i bought a beautiful bunch of fresh red chard. i rough chopped it and steamed it for a couple of minutes (really that's all it takes) and put some butter and braggs on it. YUM!

#9 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:02 AM

Carla I love you woman.Carla wanna go drop some soup recipies for me in my soup thread? I'm also learning to love that LOL

Sean I'm limited on the foods I can eat, and Kale is so darn stinking good for you.I don't have to love it...but my life would be easier if I liked it. Chards are so freaking sandy...I can never get all the sand out and it wigs me out...although I do love the taste of it.

I have a bunch in my fridge...thinking of steaming it with a little lemon juice and salt...

Kale chips seem like so much work for such little product lol

#10 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:15 AM

how is it work?? spray with pam, pop em in the oven with some sprinkled cheese, salt and red pepper flakes, and BAM! delicious kale chips in 20 minutes :D

#11 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:56 AM

Chards are so freaking sandy...I can never get all the sand out and it wigs me out...although I do love the taste of it.

it's like spinach, you just need to take the time and wash each leaf :)

#12 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

yep I love chard too... basically I do like 3 washes and that usually works -- you really have to get them separated though

I have a giant colander that I just put in the sink and try to soak/ swoosh them around for a bit first them 2 or 3 quick rinses and taps dry

last night I had a big bowl of beet greens & bacon... it was awesome I love cooking greens "southern" style

as for kale chips ... I still haven't mastered them (usually they are either burned or undercooked) nor do I really love them (I rather eat kale than eat burnt up, dried out tastes like seaweed "chips") but last weekend I had really good ones and I am willing to try them again I suppose

#13 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

Randy Pam...ewwwww

I use olive oil...which is what takes the long ass time

#14 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Erin I put a bunch into my smoothies every morning. Probably about 1/2 a cup and I barely even taste it. Sure it turns everything dark green but it's an easy addition that's SUPER healthy. I'm already lamenting the winter coming when my kale will stop producing...

#15 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

I'm not up to smoothies yet...but that's sarah! I'll add them in when I can do the smoothie in the am :)

#16 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:24 AM

I saute it in olive oil with garlic and add some white beans and red pepper flakes

#17 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,379 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

i like it sauteed lightly with tons of fresh chopped garlic, olive oil and a few drops of Bragg's amino acids. black pepper to taste.

or tossed in soups, especially white bean-based soups.

#18 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

i like it sauteed lightly with tons of fresh chopped garlic, olive oil and a few drops of Bragg's amino acids. black pepper to taste.

or tossed in soups, especially white bean-based soups.

that was my dinner last night. red kale/cannellini beans/chik broth/diced tomatoes/rosemary/hot pepper/brown rice...delish!

i love the texture of sauteed kale...soft, but still has a crunch to it.

in a large *** i saute some garlic w/ olive oil then add torn up pieces of kale, a litle water & cover for a few minutes. once it begins to wilt down a bit i add some salt & continue cooking.
my favorite way to serve it is w/ a sprinkling of crushed red chili & fresh squeezed lemon juice

#19 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Hmmm. Kale ideas.. lol. Help me love kale too! lol.

#20 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

this recipe is good because the apple makes it sweeeeet and the grits are all cheesy deliciousness...

2 Golden Delicious Apple

2 Heads of Kale

1 Vidalia Onion

1 head of Garlic

1. Roast 1 head of garlic at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

2. Wash kale thoroughly and remove it from its stem; Cut kale into small pieces and blanch in boiling water for ten minutes; Remove from water and strain out all excess water

3. Peel, remove seeds and dice apples

4. Peel and dice onion

5. Saute onions and apples over medium heat for about 10 minutes until softened

6. Add kale, and roasted garlic and saute mixture for another 15minutes

7. Add 1/4 tsp on freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste

8. Serve over cheese grits...

2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup coarse ground cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces sharp Cheddar, shredded

Place the milk, water, and salt into a large, heavy-bottomed *** over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once the milk mixture comes to a boil, gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking. Once all of the cornmeal has been incorporated, decrease the heat to low and cover. Remove lid and whisk frequently, every 3 to 4 minutes, to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps; make sure to get into corners of *** when whisking. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is creamy.

Remove from the heat, add the pepper and butter, and whisk to combine. Once the butter is melted, gradually whisk in the cheese a little at a time. Serve immediately.

#21 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

Once you leave mambi pambi land and start eating it raw (or juicing it), you will love it.

AMIRITE!!!?1??!!

#22 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

The lunch ladies added kale to the salad bar for me. Sio I asked if it was organic and they looked at me like I just dropped in from outerspace....
:lol:

I took some to make them happy, but I feel all dirty about eating it. :shocked:

#23 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,880 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:49 AM

I make creole red beans and rice and freeze it in portions to pull out for me and the kids for dinner- when it's almost hot enough in the pan I add chopped kale- just right at the end and heat though. Serve with rice. The kids really like it.

I've also been shredding it pretty fine and throwing it in our salads with other greens-(abby likes the iceberg for the crunch, so I add it) spinach, etc.

I've been trying to mess with a scalloped potato and kale recipe, but it still keeps coming out too dense. (but I always had that problem even without the kale.)

I love greens- take smoked turkey leg and cook it in a *** of water till the meat falls off the bone, then add your greens (wash them over and over again to get the grit off) add a chopped onion couple cloves of garlic, your spices, paprika, salt n pepper, a smidge of vinegar. Where I come from they add a stick of butter to the *** at the end and a couple dashes of hot sauce, but I've learned to live without the butter.

#24 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,880 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:06 AM

I wonder if slicing an apple into one of the garlic saute recipes would be good. I like it when I saute fine sliced red cabbage, red onion, garlic and olive oil. :huh:

#25 smithburt21

smithburt21
  • VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

my mouth till watering after read your post. The sounds of garlic spinach saute recipe is also bang on. I have made it yesterday.

#26 sugarmagnolia7

sugarmagnolia7
  • VibeTribe
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

I used to hate kale until I started eating it in the morning with eggs -- now I'm addicted to it! Very simply fry it up with garlic and fresh pepper in either coconut or olive oil until it is crispy and serve with a heaping of scrambled eggs (or other type of egg if scrambled isn't your cup of tea). The combination is scrumptious! And for meat eaters -- adding sausage into the kale as it fries brings it to a whole new level.

#27 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

I have a bunch of Kale in the fridge right now, that I keep looking at saying try kale chips damn it.

But I"m thinking I might try frying it with garlic, that does sound delish!

#28 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

now I want kale... :smile:

#29 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:13 AM

spread the kale over a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil on top..bake 350, they don't take long to cook..and they taste like Lays chips... mmmmm good

#30 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

Kale scares me. :shocked:

#31 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,880 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

I served kale sauted in olive oil and a little garlic and crushed red pepper with dahl and brown rice. Super yummy.

#32 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,880 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

I haven't learned enough easy quick recipes to keep up with what I'm getting for kale. Anyone have any tips for freezing it (or other greens) other than blanching for 2 minutes and plunging into ice bath for two minutes and storing in a ziplock?

#33 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

hmmmm I can't imagine that greens would be good frozen but I guess they do sell frozen spinach? I would also consider blending it and making ice cubes for green smoothies (it thats something you are into)

#34 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

I haven't learned enough easy quick recipes to keep up with what I'm getting for kale. Anyone have any tips for freezing it (or other greens) other than blanching for 2 minutes and plunging into ice bath for two minutes and storing in a ziplock?

you can make a butter compound with it

http://heathereatsal...w-use-for-kale/

#35 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,880 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

you can make a butter compound with it

http://heathereatsal...w-use-for-kale/

This is a great idea, I'm totally going to try it tonight! And i bet it would freeze well too. :smile: