Advice Needed — How to Set Up Camp w/Hotel Reservation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 EyesOfTheWorld

EyesOfTheWorld
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:10 AM

First time poster here. Been going to Vibes for a number of years — ILCC 2002 our first year and have gone just about every year since. For various reasons, full-out camping on site is not an option for us and we always book with one of the Vibes hotels, but we do miss the option of being able to go back to an on-site location to chill over the course of the weekend at a base camp. Any folks here who do both (stay at a hotel and set up on-site)? Any tips to help us figure out if we can have the best of both worlds would be greatly appreciated...

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,690 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

Yes! I prefer parking a car onsite and setting up camp there, leaving the car onsite to lock items if I feel the need. Then use the shuttles and occasional taxi to go back and forth.

The other option is to park in the day lot and walk in with your camping gear to set up, then you have your car if you wish to drive back and forth. I prefer not having to drive thus am happy leaving the car with the campsite and as a bonus do not have to carry camping gear to site.

#3 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,547 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

We leave the car on site and do the shuttle thing too. Leave chairs, a cooler with drinks/snacks in the car and grab some ice on the way in each morning. Our "base camp" is with friends so there's no worrying about the car and with us not needing a tent that opens up a little more chill space.

#4 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Since I live so close, I used to do this too believe it or not. I take one car in and park it in camping and set my self up a chill zone. Then i always have a home base to take a breather onsite. I leave my car at the day lot and come and go to my ac & shower every night. In the last few years, I just hand off a chair, a cooler and a few other luxuries to my friends and they set me up a little corner in their world.

#5 Mindbender

Mindbender
  • VibeTribe
  • 190 posts
  • Locationby the waterside

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Be seeing you guys "on the bus" - our little group will be shuttling too.

#6 EyesOfTheWorld

EyesOfTheWorld
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for the info. Good to know other folks do this, too — I think we will have to plan on doing this. Are there any camping areas that are better than others for this type of thing, or would it just be where we were directed to depending on arrival time? We are planning on getting there on Thursday, just haven't quite decided what time yet. We are fairly local (under 2-hour drive) and I already took the time off work (hubby is retired) so we could pretty much arrive at any time after offical opening time...

#7 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,941 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

I keep my car at camp. Take the shuttles back and forth. In the past, I took a bike w/me, and went back & forth to hotel on the bike. (Shuttles don't run between 4:00AM? and 8:00AM).

#8 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

You don't want to drive at Vibes unless you have a driver who is always sober- that's my contention. Leave at least one car in your party on fest site and shuttle/taxi around. I think I've taken the shuttle once to get to the grounds, usually I share a cab with other folks and split the cost. When at the hotel for any more than 15 minutes I get antsy and round up a crew waiting and call a cab. :lol:

I've done Vibes once without a hotel and got VIP, but I prefer the hotel...ice cold, dark, and silent is the way to go. So ready to rage after a few hours of good sleep :thumbup:

#9 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,474 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

Depends where you get parked, if you end up in west camping, that could be a bit of a hike to get to the concert field, may be easier just to hump in a few items and set them up... Not sure how they handle folks that walk in with Tents.

#10 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 368 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Depends where you get parked, if you end up in west camping, that could be a bit of a hike to get to the concert field, may be easier just to hump in a few items and set them up... Not sure how they handle folks that walk in with Tents.

We've taken the shuttle and walked our tent in without any problems for a few years now~

#11 Mindbender

Mindbender
  • VibeTribe
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Any news on if shuttle passes will be available at the venue in addition to at the hotels?

(The shuttle page says "At each of the hotels listed you will be able to purchase a Vibes Unlimited Hotel Shuttle Pass.)

We're early-birding in on Thurs AM and setting up camp in boardie, then checking in to a hotel in the PM - I'd like to shuttle over to the hotel if possible.

#12 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 422 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Just know that you might not be able to keep bringing your car in and out of camping if you're doing the camping and hotel thing. I've overheard a few people complaining about this in the past, because they assumed they would be able to do this with ease. There are logistical, safety and insurance concerns.

Per the FAQ page:

Re-entry by car is discouraged.
 If you must leave the venue, by car or on foot, please leave your wristband on. You will not be allowed back in with a wristband that has been removed, cut, etc. 
There will be no way to leave the venue by car during the main ingress during Thursday/Thursday night.
 If you need to leave Thursday evening, please plan to leave your car outside of the venue in one of our Day Parking lots and take a shuttle.
We will do our best to return you near your camp area when you re-enter, but that is not always possible. The safety of your fellow VibeTribe comes first!
We Encourage These Alternatives to Re-Entry by Car

• Park in the Day Parking Lots and take the Shuttle.
  • Take a cab from the Arches area to and from your off site location.
These methods are much safer for all attendees.

#13 Mindbender

Mindbender
  • VibeTribe
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Doc but no, I'm strictly a park it and forget it guy - that's why I'm hoping to take the shuttle. There are "logistical, safety and insurance concerns" for anyone with a clue imo - I'm not that :hoagie:... I just don't feel like schlepping our gear from the hotel to the venue by shuttle (not to mention half my two-man crew will be in an arm sling).

Plus check-in time isn't until mid-afternoon, and I hope to be fully festivised by then :loopeye: as we're hoping to get in to boardie with the first wave at 0800 - or, y'know, sometime "soon" thereafter.

I'd take a cab if necessary, but I'm not eager to as I'll be paying for the weekend shuttle pass either way.

#14 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 422 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Well, my post was more directed towards EyesOfTheWorld, not you :P

#15 Mindbender

Mindbender
  • VibeTribe
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Well, my post was more directed towards EyesOfTheWorld, not you :P

Sorry for the misunderstanding - but with no quote in your post, which appeared minutes after mine on a thread that's been dead for a month, it was an easy mistake to make. ;)

That said - anyone have any knowledge re purchasing shuttle passes on-site?

#16 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 422 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding - but with no quote in your post, which appeared minutes after mine on a thread that's been dead for a month, it was an easy mistake to make. ;)

I know, I was just giving you crap ;)

#17 Mindbender

Mindbender
  • VibeTribe
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

I know, I was just giving you crap ;)

lol, yeah I know - I was just giving it back ;)

#18 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,547 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

The shuttle will run from the venue to the hotels. Not sure what time they'll start them up on Thursday as they'll probably wait until after the traffic getting in dies down. I'd think if you talked to the driver he'd let you ride to the hotel and get the pass. They were never really packed when we were taking them last year

#19 KindRU

KindRU
  • VibeTribe
  • 251 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Wow it ate my 1st reply.

Call/stop by the hotel on your way to the Vibes. Rooms may not be ready yet, but they will prolly have the passes available at the desk. Just a thought.

#20 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

passes available at the desk. Just a thought.

Both - Passes will be available at NorthGrove Ticketing (where the busses stop) this year, AND at the hotel lobbies

#21 Mindbender

Mindbender
  • VibeTribe
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks all!

So.... can we leave yet? :bouncey:

#22 hsloboda1004

hsloboda1004
  • VibeTribe
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCohoes, NY

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

im getting down there on wed evening. is there anything fun to do in bridgeport??

#23 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,528 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

go to bed early so you have TONS of energy to RAGE on thursday! :crazy:

< my plan :blush:

#24 supermansid

supermansid
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

im getting down there on wed evening. is there anything fun to do in bridgeport??

Brother Josephus and Preservation Hall Jazz are playing a free show in Stamford. That's where I will be.

http://www.stamford-...ask=view&id=148

#25 diggit

diggit
  • VibeTribe
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

Wait, what if we have a motorcycle? can that go in and out?