• VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

#102 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,699 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

This Vegan girl stopped me on the street and insisted we were old friends, but I was certain I'd never met herbivore!

#103 LadyCrow

LadyCrow
  • VibeTribe
  • 86 posts
  • LocationThe cupboard under the stairs

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

:: rolls eyes:: sOy Vey. ;)

#104 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,377 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

my meat-free diet is going well. it's been 6 months now and my overall health both mentally and physically
is excellent.

i've stopped eating almost all dairy although i eat cheese occasionally. i'm not a big fan of the soy cheese. does anyone have any suggestions
for a good vegan cheese substitute? :bigsmile:

#105 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

my meat-free diet is going well. it's been 6 months now and my overall health both mentally and physically is excellent. i've stopped eating almost all dairy although i eat cheese occasionally. i'm not a big fan of the soy cheese. does anyone have any suggestions for a good vegan cheese substitute? :bigsmile:

when you find one let me know. i feel the same. still indulging in the cheese. :(

#106 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

I agree about the cheese. I also have seen on some cheese substitutes that it still includes casein - so read those labels!!

#107 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

we are doing great two weeks after finishing a raw food cleanse and juice fast. we're eating healthier, feeling stronger and have much more energy. looking forward to doing it again in a month or two :)

if you're into fondue, here's a vegan recipe that satisfies my cheese cravings. i've been able to modify this basic recipe a lot of different ways over the years...even making a flavorful 'bechamel' type sauce for lasagne.

This vegan mushroom fondue has a cheesy flavor and is perfect for parties, as an appetizer or for a romantic vegan fondue for two. Mushroom fondue is rich, flavorful and creamy. Serve your vegan fondue with such dippers as French bread, bagels, or fresh vegetables.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

• 3 tbsp margarine + 2 tbsp
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 veg bouillon cube or 1 tbsp dry veggie broth mix
  • 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 cups soy milk
  • 1/2 tsp miso
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp celery salt
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
Preparation:

Sautee garlic, onions and mushrooms in 3 tbsp margarine until soft. In separate saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and simmer until mixture thickens. If your mixture does not thicken, add more flour and mix well. Allow to cool.
Add mushrooms, garlic and onion mix to the soy milk mix and process in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Reheat the blended mix, stirring occasionally, and allow to cool slightly before transferring to fondue pot.

Some vegetarian fondue dipper suggestions: whole mushrooms, broccoli, bread, cooked and halved baby potatoes, tofu, Tofurkey sausage slices.

#108 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000003

#109 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

how incredibly disturbing :(

#110 mayfly

mayfly
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/08/wyoming-premium-farms-abuse-humane-society_n_1499707.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

wow.....

yeah the chemicals in meat was enough for me, this is just more fuel to the fire...

#111 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

WTF is wrong with people :headbang:

#112 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

excerpt from the book Skinny Bitch

"Animals hear the screaming and crying of other animals being slaughtered and they are terrified. They know that they are about to be killed and they are panic stricken. When their young are taken from them, cows kick stall walls in rage and frustration.

Think of how you feel when you are angry, afraid, and grief-stricken. Bear in mind the physical feelings that accompany these emotions. These emotions--fear, grief, and rage--produce chemical changes in our bodies. They do the same to animals. Their blood pressures rise. Adrenaline courses through their bodies.

You are eating high blood pressure, stress, and adrenaline. You are eating fear, grief, and rage. You are eating suffering and horror. You are eating cruelty. You are what you eat."

please. just think about it.

Posted Image

#113 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Stuffing= "ass bread"

Delivery is a bit much for me. I didn't watch the whole thing, but I will.

Veganism seems to be the path

https://www.youtube....&v=es6U00LMmC4#!

#114 mollythecat

mollythecat
  • Banned
  • 63 posts
  • LocationLitterbox

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

My friends are RAW Vegans and I learn SO much from them...I have SO much love for vegans and vegetarism...I dont eat any redmeat but I do eat buffalo because its healthier and everything else I eat is clean and fresh and LOVE my veggies esp with fresh olive oil and garlic...Delicious!

#115 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

#116 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

please help stop this. each dollar we spend is a vote.

http://www.cok.net/californiacows/

#117 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

9 months and counting....

Thanks CC

#118 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

#119 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,161 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

haven't completely transitioned but have reduced a significant amount of dairy & my allergies are now practically non-existant & stopped eating beef & pork (not hard since we really didn't eat much anyway), added much more veggies & fruit........but just went for my annual physical & my cholesterol dropped 20 points!!! from 180 to 160!! YAY :clap:

#120 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

Been doing a vegan raw diet at home now for the past I dunno six weeks and it's going great! Still on my veggie diet away from home and will slowly mix in more of a vegan diet as I can source places for vegan food. Prolly will only keep the raw part at home though since I like hot soups and cooked pizza. Whole Foods has some solutions but a little pricey in my opinion.

#121 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

10 months now. Still eating cheese, but have cut back. More and more raw, but Im not planning on 100% raw.

As usual, I thank CC.

#122 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

way to go everyone!!!

raw vegan is hard core - I think I could do a cleanse for a week but not as a lifestyle ('specially winter with all the soups an grilled sammiches).

#123 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Been eating vegan more often than not lately...semiconscious decision. Don't know as I'll ever give up the cheese. And for now, it would be terribly wasteful not to eat some eggs (I'm getting 4 a day on average).

Would like very much to get to the point that I know where any nonvegan foods I eat (at least at home*) are coming from...means I probably oughta ramp up the cheesemakin' again soon.

*it's been bad enough explaining to host/hostesses and restaurants the lacto/ovo deal over the years. Don't want to be the guy who says, "oh, that has butter on it? Do you have some lettuce or something? :funny1:

#124 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

Tim, eating out vegan or even veggie is a real bitch in parts of the East coast. Other parts of the country have vegan/veggie places and they know everything that goes in every dish they serve. Congrats on taking the baby steps to a vegan lifestyle.

Chinacat, raw is not that hard after a few days. Forgoing soups and such is 100 times easier than sitting down at a family Thanksgiving or Christmas diner and saying no the turkey, ham, gravy and stuffing. With that said I only do the raw thingy at home for now.....for now...

Wondering for people who post in this thread, do you use animals products like leather? I'm down to a pair of shoes, and pair of boots and a leather belt and need to source replacements when I wear them out.

#125 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

There are some pretty good veggie choices around here. It used to be (15/20 years ago) that the only option was a grilled portabello. I got sick of 'em. Nice that there are other options now.

I've tried vegan in the past. Seem to be more motivated now. Though I don't know as I'll go 100%.

The cheddar I make from local raw milk is pretty tasty.

Leather - something I need to ponder more. I've always bought a limited number of leather products, with the thought that it was a byproduct of animals which were being killed for food, and using as much as possible from them is a good thing. Starting to rethink that, thanks to a rabblerouser we all know. :)

#126 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

I don't buy leather anymore. Though I did when I first went veg (I'm evolving) so, I have a leather couch :( and I still wear products previously purchased or given to me. There's lots of cloth belts to be found. New shoes will be tough, though there are lots of vegan shoe websites, Eco.

Tim and I discussed a recent dilemma. I don't eat fish. I was at my bro's house (he is a fisherman) and he served fish. My friend didn't finish it and half got thrown away. I actually considered eating it because it seems more a waste and dishonoring the life to throw it away. what do you guys think? edit: never mind, cause if i apply the same logic, i'd have to eat everyone's half eaten steak, burger, and chix salad sandwich, and I ain't doin it :lol:

rethink leather, please. many leather products come from animals not killed for food. start viewing at 3:39 horrifying:

#127 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Tim, eating out vegan or even veggie is a real bitch in parts of the East coast. Other parts of the country have vegan/veggie places and they know everything that goes in every dish they serve. Congrats on taking the baby steps to a vegan lifestyle.

Chinacat, raw is not that hard after a few days. Forgoing soups and such is 100 times easier than sitting down at a family Thanksgiving or Christmas diner and saying no the turkey, ham, gravy and stuffing. With that said I only do the raw thingy at home for now.....for now...

Wondering for people who post in this thread, do you use animals products like leather? I'm down to a pair of shoes, and pair of boots and a leather belt and need to source replacements when I wear them out.

see, it's actually easy for me to forgo turkey, ham, etc. my mom makes non-meat stuffing for me :)
I sure do miss gravy though!!

#128 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

There are some pretty good mushroom gravies which can be made.

And I'm done buying leather.

#129 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

#130 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

#131 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

CC: I would not have eaten the fish. For me, personally, it is more about my health than if the fish suffered. I have come across the issue a few times in the past year, once with a ton of lobster being wasted. My son, who is now pescatarian, wanted to try sea scallops. I bought him 4. He took one tiny bite and would not eat the rest. I tossed them.

#132 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

CC: I would not have eaten the fish. For me, personally, it is more about my health than if the fish suffered. I have come across the issue a few times in the past year, once with a ton of lobster being wasted. My son, who is now pescatarian, wanted to try sea scallops. I bought him 4. He took one tiny bite and would not eat the rest. I tossed them.

A good way to look at it! Let it go to waste rather than supporting the need=no more harvesting of unneeded food sources.

#133 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:59 AM

There are some pretty good veggie choices around here. It used to be (15/20 years ago) that the only option was a grilled portabello. I got sick of 'em. Nice that there are other options now.

I've tried vegan in the past. Seem to be more motivated now. Though I don't know as I'll go 100%.

The cheddar I make from local raw milk is pretty tasty.

Leather - something I need to ponder more. I've always bought a limited number of leather products, with the thought that it was a byproduct of animals which were being killed for food, and using as much as possible from them is a good thing. Starting to rethink that, thanks to a rabblerouser we all know. :)

Yeah keep listening to the rabblerouser...she's full of good info as you know more so than me.

#134 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, if you want to turn into a leaf-eating wook in patchwork hemp pants. :devil:

Haven't (knowingly, at least) eaten any dairy in five days. Guessing I will tonight, as the guys I play cards with on Tuesdays are already cool enough to have had something lacto/ovo for me along with their steaks and stuff at every game since we started playing 6 years ago. Not sure I want to have them try to figure out vegan cookin'. LOL.

Maybe I'll start bringin' my own.

#135 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

yeah, he's goin all vegan on me and shit.

(((cheese)))

(((butter)))

It's the logical next step but doesn't mean I'mma not pout about it :joker:

#136 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

if i can do it, you can :)

#137 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

yeah, he's goin all vegan on me and shit.

(((cheese)))

(((butter)))

It's the logical next step but doesn't mean I'mma not pout about it :joker:

Just smother everything in gravy. :mrgreen:

#138 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

if i can do it, you can :)

you and beardman doin the vegan??

#139 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Is semen vegan?

#140 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Is semen vegan?

Just smother everything in gravy. :mrgreen:

#141 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

you and beardman doin the vegan??

yup. we're actually in the phasing out stage now, on our way to full-on Esselstyn. currently struggling with the concept of abandoning avocados, olive oil and nuts. and in my case oh yeah...the occasional steak or hamburger. :blush: :lol:

admittedly, i have a LOT more to phase out than kiltboy does. but we're doing pretty good so far. small amounts of olive oil and nut butter (that's for you, Depends) but overall, i'm happy with the changes we've made so far and i don't think it's going to be as impossible to adhere to as i first thought.

but truly, Dr. Esselstyn is a fucking sadist :grin:

#142 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Is semen vegan?

funny, we were just discussing the nutritional values of our...um, gravies...last night :lol:

decision: some things, we're just not willing to phase out. ever.

#143 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

...and nut butter (that's for you, Depends)...

:lmao:

#144 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

More power to you guys, Thuggie. Don't know as I could do Esselstyn.

Further don't know if a life without nuts and avocados is worth extending. :funny1:

#145 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

we're hoping to find out, Tim. :) thanks!

#146 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

nut butter.... FTW
:lol:

#147 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Esselstyn says you will live longer without nuts and avocados, but in reality, it just seems longer...

#148 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,198 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

"nut butter" gets me every. single. time :lol: :lol: :lol:

i used to say "life without ______ isn't worth living" all the time. fill in the blank with whatever...live music, pork products, cheese, dark chocolate, good wine, access to beautiful beaches, friends...

turns out, i was wrong in every instance. life is worth living. period. it took a lot to wake me up to that fact, but i'm there now. so yeah...Esselstyn it is.

eep!

#149 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,545 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

wow, good for you, Thugster

It's vegan weekend for us - veggie stir fry tomorrow night, oats in the a.m., root veggie soup for dinner....

we're easing into a reasonably vegan lifestyle (though eggs from Tim's chickens and cheese that Tim makes from raw milk that came from local, humanely treated cows would still be fine, in my eyes).

#150 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

What do you mean, "us?" I was told there would be cheese. :mrgreen: