Out of all the GOTVs you've attended: name a favorite moment

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

I haven't been to every year since I joined the board, but I've been to quite a number of them...

I've seen some memorable performances (like Phil & Friends in 2002), had some fun campsite jams, or shared a meal/refreshment with friends I don't get to see very often. I've even had the good fortune to perform onstage to an enthusiastic crowd...

But one of my very favorite moments was the Sunday "afterparty" in 2009.
All the bands were finished, and it was basically just the Vibes crew and volunteers decompressing, and hanging around singing together in the VIP tent.
Such a lovely low-key, relaxed and warm feeling. All the frenzy of the event was done and everyone just took a moment to bask in the afterglow of all their efforts (before the inevitable clean-up).

How 'bout you? Care to share?

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Cornmeal. '09.

I'm a relative gneub though.

#3 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,479 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'm gneubish too. I enjoyed last year because I was able to stop by Space Camp and Velcro on my breaks and hang out with people I know.

#4 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,330 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

Meeting Mr Pat, Topo, Tom and Laylalime for the first time as neighbors, a great time was had by all :)

#5 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

i love the afterparties, too. it's such a great way to unwind from the weekend with friends and family :)

but my favorite moments have been the biggies: meeting Jason for the first time (though i didn't realize the import at the time), watching Jacob and Sarah become engaged, watching dear friends falling in love or celebrating momentous occasions like engagements or marriages or vow renewals. little moments that turned out to be pretty huge. sharing meals and music and work and fun.

memories of meeting some of those who have become my best friends over the years. the Jtwins, Silly Ol Bear, and many others i met at camp, on the field or at the boardie picnic. i think i've forgotten more wonderful memories than many people ever get to make in a lifetime :lol:

dancing on the grassy field at ILCC to Phil and Friends with my old crew. there were 30 or so of us there that year and i hadn't yet met a single boardie, besides the two i travelled up with. it was all new to us and i had no idea what the future would bring or the impact this fest would have on my life in the years to come :) :heart:

in short? i couldn't pick a favorite if my life depended on it :bouncey:

#6 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,209 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Bitch slapping Julius with my cup phone :pimp:

#7 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

09' was my first real music festival ever, so i'm prolly newbishest.

Keller Williams Friday 09, dancing with the most beautiful and lovely person in the world, prolly dancing for the first time ever in public, she looks into my eyes and mouths Eyes of the World, causing my heart at to first melt then explode torrents of rapturous love. we spent the rest of the weekend vibrating. i still buzz a little when i think about it.

shit now i'm getting all temporally dislocated :lol:

#8 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

i love the afterparties, too. it's such a great way to unwind from the weekend with friends and family :) but my favorite moments have been the biggies: meeting Jason for the first time (though i didn't realize the import at the time), watching Jacob and Sarah become engaged, watching dear friends falling in love or celebrating momentous occasions like engagements or marriages or vow renewals. little moments that turned out to be pretty huge. sharing meals and music and work and fun. memories of meeting some of those who have become my best friends over the years. the Jtwins, Silly Ol Bear, and many others i met at camp, on the field or at the boardie picnic. i think i've forgotten more wonderful memories that many people ever get to make in a lifetime :lol: dancing on the grassy field at ILCC to Phil and Friends with my old crew. there were 30 or so of us there that year and i hadn't yet met a single boardie, besides the two i travelled up with. it was all new to us and i had no idea what the future would bring or the impact this fest would have on my life in the years to come :) :heart: in short? i couldn't pick a favorite if my life depended on it :bouncey:

Ha! I asked for a favorite and you named quite a few... You did great! :lol:

#9 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,209 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Also going to Vibes in 05 with my buddy Peltzer. We went just the two of us and I think of it as the weekend we went from being show buddies to best friends. He is finally coming back to Vibes this summer. Looking forward to it. :dance:

#10 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

Sorta a minor one. But at Vibes '08 the Bill Kreutzmann Trio is doing their set on one stage while Mike Gordon's band is setting up on the adjacent stage and sound checking. BK3 breaks into Bertha and Mike's drummer who's a bit bored starts playing along to it, then Mike starts playing along to it and you can see Oteil get all confused, suddenly everyone is playing back and forth across both stages. Just an impromptu funny moment...

#11 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,495 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

vibes 2000...me and my north jersey friends were camped next to the baseball field where someone opened up a hole in the fence...our front yard became a main thoroughfare going through the camp site....so we just sat there all weekend harassing people. if they didnt walk past us getting down to the music all proper like, we stopped them and made em do it over again till they got it right...it was the most i ever laughed in my life. at a few points during the weekend multiple people would screw up the flow and have to do it over again... so there would be a line of people waiting to walk through since you can only go one person at a time :lol:

after a while everyone just knew and did it automatically

#12 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,898 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, NY

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Jack Straw -Phil and Friends 2002. insanity.

The Summit in 2001 at ILCC was pretty awesome. I think that was Terrapin testing the waters of the venue. Was pretty cool to be exploring around the woods at night with the back of the stage glowing way in the distance.

#13 Occifer Boland

Occifer Boland
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,433 posts
  • LocationHazlet, NJ

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Summit was awesome.. i loved the diversity in the music...
my most memorable moment was from Vibes 2002... My brother, Bob, had just passed away a month before.. we were to go to Vibes together.. i was gonna sell the tickets.. but decided it would be the right thing to do, as bubblechick convinced me..
..so that brings me to the most memorable moment, at the back of the main field, one night.. dozens of people gathered and held a candlelight vigil in honor of my brother and Cowboy Dan's brother, who had also passed just before Vibes.. so many of you made me feel so comfortable to talk about it..and 10 years later.. many of you are more family to me than my own..

#14 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

1999- moe with dj logic moth>meat
1999- strangefolk playing bertha as the sun was setting and the whole field looked like a big dustball
2005- crazy storms for ratdog set

#15 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Did I ever tell you about the time I lost my glasses on the beach? Its a story for in person.

#16 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,917 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

The radiators... Lets radiate. Early show at seaside sunshine 2010

#17 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

2003 - amazing afternoon Dickey Betts set; and my friend's wedding

2006 - being a parking goddess and meeting soooooooo many people. Hanging out with my future husband (who was married to someone else at the time).

2011 - the sun going down on Friday!

#18 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

Don't remember the year....early 200? :unsure: ILCC ........Deep Banana Blackout, a couple of guys in monkey suits came out on stage and started throwing bananas into the audience!!!!! It was crazy....but you could take an eye out with one of those bananers :crazy:

#19 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Bitch slapping Julius with my cup phone :pimp:

That was a goodie. :lol:

I agree with Thuggie, I really can't pick one as they've all been pretty damn special. :)

#20 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,567 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Vibes 09 during ratdog...had a friend that needed to "lie down" on the concert field. people almost stepping on him zo we built a friendship fence around him keeping him safe....folks were still trying to get thru but we held them at bay all the while having a blast standing over our fallen comrade.

good times

#21 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

one of my favorite ones was that time Terrapin was being played expertly by some band and Joker and Mik and MamaPJ and RainQueen were there among others, then SarahB showed up and we were all dancin with lightinging in the sky! oh crap that was someone elses festival :crook: :lol: :grin:

#22 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,975 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

Summit was awesome.. i loved the diversity in the music... my most memorable moment was from Vibes 2002... My brother, Bob, had just passed away a month before.. we were to go to Vibes together.. i was gonna sell the tickets.. but decided it would be the right thing to do, as bubblechick convinced me.. ..so that brings me to the most memorable moment, at the back of the main field, one night.. dozens of people gathered and held a candlelight vigil in honor of my brother and Cowboy Dan's brother, who had also passed just before Vibes.. so many of you made me feel so comfortable to talk about it..and 10 years later.. many of you are more family to me than my own..

So much Love :heart:

#23 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,975 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

Looking around seeing smiling happy people.

#24 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm pretty sure TEO was there that year too :grin: :lol:

#25 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,975 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

YES :grin:

#26 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Lets seeee.... Sprout, Nucka :heart:

#27 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,975 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Mutant, NHButterfly

#28 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,844 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

2008!

I never laughed so hard in my life, we celebrated Spidergawd's 40th birthday, I became friends with Lola, Tyler, Andrew, Jeffie and Joel, Phil and Friends was awesome, and finally... it was the year of 'The Shusher'. :funny1:

Edited: I see it's favorite 'moment'. Well...this is still my answer.

#29 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

I went for a hike up the hill that day, and on the fringe of the festival a bunch of locals were partying, enjoying the whole scene :) and as I went by a guy says "there's bears up there ya know" :lol: long story short, he was right - I saw a bear up by the ridge there :lol:

#30 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

.so we just sat there all weekend harassing people. if they didnt walk past us getting down to the music all proper like, we stopped them and made em do it over again till they got it right...it was the most i ever laughed in my life. at a few points during the weekend multiple people would screw up the flow and have to do it over again... so there would be a line of people waiting to walk through since you can only go one person at a time :lol: after a while everyone just knew and did it automatically

Lol if you are planning a 2012 repeat let me know!

#31 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,209 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

Mutant, NHButterfly

Some of my favorite new "in person" friends I hope to see them again this summer :pimp:

#32 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,435 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:32 AM

1999, way before I knew a single boardie. Love was blossoming.

#33 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Posted Image

2005. You can kind of see them in this pic i took. good times

Don't remember the year....early 200? :unsure: ILCC ........Deep Banana Blackout, a couple of guys in monkey suits came out on stage and started throwing bananas into the audience!!!!! It was crazy....but you could take an eye out with one of those bananers :crazy:

#34 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

2008! I never laughed so hard in my life, we celebrated Spidergawd's 40th birthday, I became friends with Lola, Tyler, Andrew, Jeffie and Joel, Phil and Friends was awesome, and finally... it was the year of 'The Shusher'. :funny1: Edited: I see it's favorite 'moment'. Well...this is still my answer.

oh no you di'in't! :funny1: that was a good time (at my expense, maybe) Karen, to this day i still giggle about it...anytime my daughter shushes me i tell her, you cannot shush the shusher!!

a favorite moment for me was '05 during thunderbobby - whatta storm that was!

then there was '06, '07, '08, '09, 10, 11. best.vibes.ever.

#35 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Ling high fives the sun.

#36 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

Probably my fav was me & Frank's first Vibes together. We were both at Croton but didn't know each other yet. So Vibes 98 in Plattsburgh, on the lake - seeing Percy Hill for the first time. Rocked my World!!

Next best - meeting Reid (Strangefolk AOD) at Vibes 03 I believe - the year at ILCC when it was small & almost didn't happen - he was pimping out the 'new technology' that allowed us to buy a copy of the set we just heard. I wasn't really paying attention & said - "Oh so I can by stangefolk's set right after they play? cool" and he says "you like strangefolk? you should check out my new band" & I turn around & he started laughing. then sat & hung out for a bit

Our last Vibes 07 - Catie waking up the morning after P-Funk & saying "I want the funk back mommy!" :lol: She was 2 at the time

#37 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,844 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

oh no you di'in't! :funny1: that was a good time (at my expense, maybe) Karen, to this day i still giggle about it...anytime my daughter shushes me i tell her, you cannot shush the shusher!! a favorite moment for me was '05 during thunderbobby - whatta storm that was! then there was '06, '07, '08, '09, 10, 11. best.vibes.ever.

You will always be The Shusher darlin' and that's a good thing. It's the year we became friends :heart:

See you SOON!

#38 sneakyjack

sneakyjack
  • VibeTribe
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Sittin in this low swing type chair listing to Ratdog with a group of people I never met before that day - I went to meet a friend who had moved away from CT and he was with this group of 6 people. I had been released from my job of over 10 years and was stressed. BUT at that moment it was all good. Now 4/5 years later I meet all those original guys at the vibes every year and now the group is up to around 10 - 12 people. Such a great meet up. And of course all the people I randomly and on purpose run in to now at the vibes and various other event.
Who knew?
Mahalo!

#39 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

You will always be The Shusher darlin' and that's a good thing. It's the year we became friends :heart: See you SOON!

i love you guys! <3 can hardly wait to see you SOON!

#40 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Wasn't Ling high fiving the sun from Stonehenge? I could be wrong.. maybe that's where I heard the story the first time. Lol

Faves for me:

Heading down to the main stage the Sunday morning of Vibes 05 to catch Railroad Earth (who I had never seen before) and losing my SHIT, SOOOO BLISSED OUT dancing in that warm summer sun... *sigh*

Boardie Picnic Vibes 07, first time putting a lot of faces to the names :)

Rolling up to Vibes 07 after sitting in hours of CT traffic (worked a half day that Thursday) just in time to park and RUN to the stage where u-melt was opening the festival.. it was my birthday weekend and I arrived for the first chords of my favorite song.. it was the best bday present!! Dancing in the field w some of my favorite umelt boardies, and of course Diddy.. we were still in our "new" stage and every moment was bliss :) grateful to have the DVD of that set!!!! Our schmoop is all over that video. Lol

#41 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,209 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

The Keller Set at Vibes 05. I just remember the weather being absolutely fucking perfect out and he played Gate Crashers Suck :dance:

#42 Danimal

Danimal
  • VibeTribe
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

02 the 4th of July with Phil and Friends, just an awesome weekend all around...

03 with ABB, Dickey Betts Band, and James FRICKEN Brown!!!

05? Jerry Tribute vibes? Keller Williams and then the Raindog set!!!

#43 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

The high five was def vibes.

I ran into Ling up in front by the stage during Phil's second set. We hung out the rest of the night high fiving everyone we ran into. After a night full of fun, we were all down by the water with a bunch of the u-crew watching the sun come up. It was very quiet as it usually is at sunrise by the water in Seaside. We were all just sitting there taking it all in and Ling gets up, walks towards the water a bit, cocks back, and POW! high five.

It was perfect.

#44 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,209 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Looking at old pictures I will say while I like Bridgeport I really wish Vibes would go back to a country setting.

#45 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

02 the 4th of July with Phil and Friends, just an awesome weekend all around... 03 with ABB, Dickey Betts Band, and James FRICKEN Brown!!! 05? Jerry Tribute vibes? Keller Williams and then the Raindog set!!!

oooh, you're right... the jerry tribute was pretty epcot

#46 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

The Keller Set at Vibes 05. I just remember the weather being absolutely fucking perfect out and he played Gate Crashers Suck :dance:

ahem, whale rape doesn't make your top 5? ;)

#47 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

Gram: *likes*

#48 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,209 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

ahem, whale rape doesn't make your top 5? ;)

Still waiting for my ass to heal from that one. Damn you whale! :joker:

#49 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,975 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

2011 Conklin changing his name.

#50 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,844 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

That was the perfect set on the perfect day! It's etched in my memory forever :)