Photo

My favorite musical artists tend to be...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

multi-instrumentalists and changing in their style. I was thinking about this today. My two all-time favorites Beck and Keller Williams both play several instruments and change their style from one album to the next. Beck moreso than Keller with changing his style but Keller moreso than Beck with multi-instrumentalism.

is there a common thread in your favorite artists?

#2 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

...users of Autotune. :funny1:

Hard for me to pin this down. I have a wide variety of musical tastes.

#3 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 636 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Guitarists and bassists.

#4 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,008 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

beck and keller, eh?
sorry dude, i loved you and thought you were AWESOME but you LOVE keller? :undecided:
:funny1:

1 out of 2 isnt bad - i dig the eff outta beck :dance:

my favorites tend to be bluegrass bands with drum kits who play bluegrass like they are playing led zeppelin :Phishfolk:
(i.e. Cornmeal and Cabinet)
i am a sucker for that shit and could dance all day to either of these bands :heart:

#5 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

beck and keller, eh? sorry dude, i loved you and thought you were AWESOME but you LOVE keller? :undecided: :funny1: 1 out of 2 isnt bad - i dig the eff outta beck :dance: my favorites tend to be bluegrass bands with drum kits who play bluegrass like they are playing led zeppelin :Phishfolk: (i.e. Cornmeal and Cabinet) i am a sucker for that shit and could dance all day to either of these bands :heart:

Listening to Cornmeal right now... :bouncey:

#6 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, I'm a really big fan. I'll drive over 200 miles to see him whenever I can. He's a frumpy music dork that can rock a theremin. Who rocks a theremin?

#7 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,008 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Listening to Cornmeal right now... :bouncey:

DUDE, go check out Cabinet :eek:
they literally blew me away at strangecreek :dance:
and btw, the youtubes do nothing for them, they are SO a live band you gotta see to believe...

#8 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,008 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yeah, I'm a really big fan. I'll drive over 200 miles to see him whenever I can. He's a frumpy music dork that can rock a theremin. Who rocks a theremin?

i give him credit for being original
there is no one out there like him (thank god :funny1: )

sorry, just funnin with ya :wink:

we all have our flavas, yo :pimp:

keller is booked so i have time to go back to camp and change :lol:

(ok, i will stop now :blush: )

you're a good kid whom i barely know yet and i dont wanna piss you off :lol:
i like you and jess - even though you hate ryan :moon:
:lol:

#9 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

DUDE, go check out Cabinet :eek:
they literally blew me away at strangecreek :dance:
and btw, the youtubes do nothing for them, they are SO a live band you gotta see to believe...

I certainly will check them out. I hear great things.

#10 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

I don't hate montbleau! I just would rather listen to a monkey pee on a snare drum or even auto tuned Cher then that boring strum-a-lum crap that you could swear you've heard before even when you haven't, because it's so base and unimaginative it blends so easily with the whole worthless genre.

bahaha just kidding he's all right ;)

I'm gonna strap you down somewhere in the VIP tent for Keller and feed you candy until the unnaturally high seretonin levels in your synaptic clefts force you to love him.

HE JAMS A THEREMIN :lol:

#11 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

festivals book ryan so I can pewp while all the fine ladies are at the mainstage

Also, funny how quick this thread degenerated into a "your favorite band sucks" thread :lol:

#12 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,189 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Artists that fuse multiple genres and create something new and original. I was a punk kid that eventually became heady so I lean twoard darker and louder in general

#13 Occifer Boland

Occifer Boland
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,426 posts
  • LocationHazlet, NJ

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

ben folds and elliott smith(r.i.p) did most of the instruments on their respective albums... both great musicians..

#14 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,436 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

no lyrics/singing in general. If it has lyrcis, Id rather they be in another language, so the meaning is lost, but the sounds become rhythms....

I feel you actually lose meaning when you define the "theme" by using words. Instrumental music keeps it open for the listener to interpret as they wish...

#15 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

i like the ones that make me laugh.

and the ones that fall under: "it's a trip, it's got a funky beat, and I can bug out to it"

ps.. i also LOVE Keller. Like we didn't already know that. :lol:

#16 augeleven

augeleven
  • VibeTribe
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:54 AM

My favorite artists all have very vivid imaginations. Most of them are deeply weird.

All your favorite bands indeed suck!

#17 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,008 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

I don't hate montbleau! I just would rather listen to a monkey pee on a snare drum or even auto tuned Cher then that boring strum-a-lum crap that you could swear you've heard before even when you haven't, because it's so base and unimaginative it blends so easily with the whole worthless genre.

bahaha just kidding he's all right ;)

I'm gonna strap you down somewhere in the VIP tent for Keller and feed you candy until the unnaturally high seretonin levels in your synaptic clefts force you to love him.

HE JAMS A THEREMIN :lol:

:panic:

:funny1:

i gave him a shot at mtn jam but he just RUINED a good mccourys set :plain:
*sigh*

i always at least give him a listen when i am at fests
just hasnt worked yet :dunno:

#18 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

i can appreciate anyone who rocks a theremin. not to mention he's a super kind person which is rare in the musician world. ;) one of the kindest people overall i've ever met in my life. he freestyles like no other too :)
<3

I dig diversity and shit that's DIFFERENT.
You can rock a 4 part harmony all you want - but it's the lyrics that need to move it.
You can rip a guitar solo proper - but it's your soul that needs to do it
You can have the chops and changes and all that good stuff down pat- but you gotta feel that shit and let your fans know it positively.
I am a huge fan of originality.

I basically want to hear innovation, kick ass songs (music + lyrics), and/or something that evokes a higher consciousness from the first song on. This can happen with covers too :)
xoxo

#19 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,618 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:29 AM

rebels.