Practice

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

This is a thread for my practice. Please chime in.

i have been pretty dedicated for the past 2 months. i found a new studio in town (the root in el paso) and my teacher is pretty great. he is a young dude. just starting out. trying to make it. i like that. the studio is in the basement of this really cool old building in downtown el paso. i am sure that pancho villa passed through this building at one point. it is weird to think that the peace and serenity of el paso (it is one of the safest cities in the u.s) is just blocks away from the insane violence in ciudad juarez (one of the most dangerous cities in the world).

i digress.

the practice is hatha. it gets pretty warm in the studio in the 90 minutes of practice. I have been going 3-4 days a week for the last 2 months. it feels great. sweat feels great. i have discovered the usefulness of the hand towel. there is this "blue thing" (:one:) that i have been seeing when i close my eyes and get that inhale WAY down deep into my diaphragm. so serene. it has been balancing out the vigorousness (is that a word?) of the sessions. on the flip side, i almost fell out of a handstand into a table full of tea cups tonight (they have tea ceremonies there sometimes). maybe i'll mat-down on the other side of the room tomorrow.

i hope you don't see this post as too indulgent. something is firing in my practice and it just feels good to share it.
another digression: it is nice to post once again. it is amazing to see that this thing keeps snowballing. boardies. awesome.

-b.

#2 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

i really hope your blue thing does not look like this guy: :one:

:lol:

thanks for sharing. i have not been doing yoga at all and it is inspiring to hear about other people's practices :heart:

#3 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:19 AM

Get on the mat!

it semi-amazes me at how much more intense this practice is compared to any of my home practice. i dont think that i have ever broken too much of a sweat out in the pool house watching yoga today [(((adi amar)))] podcasts. but this practice--WHOA_---buckets of sweat. i love the "hurts so good" moans from the class when the teacher has us hold chair pose for that extra beat. i love the new dude who fell asleep in savasana last week. i love the 2 chubby sisters that are regulars and they dont speak english and they giggle all the time. they bring this great energy to class.

it is so strange that actually making the commitment to go to class for the first time is so hard. once you go you realize that most people in class are in the same boat as you. bad, good or great at yoga but really eager to learn.

#4 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:22 AM

The blue thing doesnt look like that.

it is kinda gauzy and shapeless but distinctly not the back of my eyelids. it's like seeing a hawkwind song instead of hearing a hawkwind song.

#5 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

i started taking classes last winter and got a little over zealous and strained my back. i'm stretching, seeing my chiropractor and my massage therapist. i'm not fully there yet but i will be :) i'm not as young as i used to be and i need to honor that and get back into it slowly.

#6 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

ah. i worry about that. i ran my first half marathon last march. during training i did a number on my IT band on my left leg. it healed in time for the race but that injury definitely reminds me that it was once a thing during practice (esp when my left leg is under me in pigeon\sleeping swan--during those poses at the end of practice i tell myself that it is sweat filling my eye wells but it very-well may be tears). i havent felt the need to stop a pose because of it but it is definitely something that exists. life is suffering.

#7 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,031 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

one pose at a time. congratulations on your commitment, baller. :)

#8 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

life is suffering.

the 1st noble truth :heart:

#9 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

I was traveling all about so no yoga this week (first skipped week since the beginning of June). I am starting up again on Monday. The Gila was amazing, as was 3 days in Telluride. Two very beautiful places. Very, staggeringly beautiful places. Beauty all up front. All in our faces. This past Wed. I have started working towards a particular goal that should help my practice (and also help work towards a goal that I have for myself next spring). I am excited and a tad worried but ready for this new challenge. Hopefully it brings some balance that seemed to be tipping a tad lately.

Tomorrow morning I plan on waking up, walking up a mountain while everyone else is sleeping, and then walking back down to make some coffee. How is that for a plan?:coffee:

#10 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:16 PM

i love that plan :)

colorado is a beautiful state! unfortunately, the 24 hours i spent there recently was mostly in the denver airport :coffee:

#11 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

Sounds like quite the practice jam kids! I just looked at my calendar and my last practice was 7/14!!! :eek: I used to go to an hour long class at least once or twice weekly. Tomorrow I am going back to a free outdoor class at lunchtime and possibly going at lunch again on Wednesday. There's nothing like practicing and being a "regular." :wink:

#12 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:14 AM

Tonight was pretty great. Sweaty. Feeling it a little in my shoulders but it is a good soreness.

#13 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:13 PM

yesterday i got a massage and swam in the river. it wasn't yoga but it was very healing :)

#14 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

I am going to try to get 4 in this week. Wed. classes are usually pretty full with a lot of new faces. Thurs. classes are usually all regulars (which sometimes=more intense class). Fri classes are usually pretty small. I love the different energies that each class brings.

#15 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

My legs are not happy after Tue. Morning Run>Tuesday Night Yoga>Wed. Morning Run.

Class last night was fun. Lots of warrior poses held for (what seemed like) long periods of time (hence: tired legs).

#16 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

i have done yoga one and a half times in the past 4 days. it's a start! :lol:

i love the warrior poses. esp warrior 3. that one is challenging and empowering.

Posted Image

#17 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

I think that half time should count as a full time.

Back doing ok?

#18 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

so far, so good :) i'm going very slow and have been taking 30-45 mins walks with the husband every evening, which helps a lot :thup:

i'm only doing 1/2 hours so the 1/2 of the 1/2 was only 15 mins... but it really felt good!

#19 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

did 1/2 hour yesterday including some swan and pidgeon which i was very cautious doing since it's my lower back and it gets pinched easily. took a very brisk walk with the husband last night (!) a little lower back twinge this morning but nothing my hot tub and an ice pack can't fix ;)

#20 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Practice last night was a little different. Only 5 people showed up and 4 of us were men. That is the first time that has happened. Usually I am one of the only men in class (like on Tues. when I was the ONLY man).

Dancer pose felt pretty great. My balance was there and that let me get deeper into the pose. I felt "not myself". I love balance.

This might sound kinda gross but it felt pretty cool: the sweat drying on my face when I was in savasana. Tingly and tight. It was a cool sensation.

I am skipping tonight so that I can ride in a Critical Mass. My teacher is going to try to catch up to us after his class tonight but something about going from blissed out yoga to riding bikes around with 100+ hipsters seems kind of confusing to me so I am just opting for the ride (it only happens once a month).

#21 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

two days in a row, i'm on a roll ;)

i want to jump in and increase my time but i am being gentle with my body and my back :heart:

#22 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

Last night. Only 3 people in class (one dude wearing jeans!)

Definitely drifted off during savasana last night. I was somewhere.
I recently had to pass up a 4 week work trip to India. I told my instructor about that last night and how bummed I was and he said that he would bring India to me. That was nice.

Other than that, the usual. Sweaty. Chaturangas were REALLY good last night. Definitely got the "yoga shoulder" thing going on (now if I could only do something about this belly of mine. . .)

#23 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

4 week trip to India? Too bad you had to pass that up!!! :eek:

Sums- I'm glad you're taking it easy. Definitely good to ease in gradually then doing too much too soon. :wink:

My studio has been closed all week so I'm jonesing for a good class. I've been running a lot so could really use it. Guess I'll just wait until next Wednesday at lunch to get my ohm on.

#24 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

lower back has been hurting again the past few days so i've been taking it easy; simple stretches, hot tub, ice pack, repeat ;)

#25 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

No great breakthroughs last night. Just a good class. No dudes wearing jeans. Many heart opening poses. The sweat is still coming but I am noticing that it is coming a little later in class. I guess that is a sign of progress.

I wore one of my tech-y running shirts last night and that really made a difference (sweat dried faster). Important information!

Enough about sweat.

The bike ride home felt pretty great. The nights are getting pretty cool here in the desert. We are coming up on the best time of year here, weather-wise (October!)

Not sure if I am going tonight. Friday classes are an hour earlier. I might just get a Ruination bomber and drink it on the front porch. Just as good for the soul (sometimes).

#26 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,031 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

those tech-wick fabrics rock. :)

#27 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

Been sick this week. No practice. We'll crank this up again next Tuesday.

#28 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:22 PM

Good practice last night. Felt great to be back. 6 people started but only 4 people finished (didn't seem overly hard to me).

Couldn't find my balance in king dancer. I was scootin' all over the place.

#29 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,031 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:42 AM

sometimes I get a spinny feeling in the dentist's chair. I think about the last sex I had, and that usually helps.

#30 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

I try to avoid dentists' chairs.

I skipped yoga last night for fondue. It was a push.

#31 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

In 2 hours I will be getting on the mat for the first time in 2+weeks (during which I visited such exotic locales as West Hartford, CT; Yardley, PA and Augusta, GA).

#32 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,031 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:01 AM

How'd it go? I've been stretching.

#33 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

Schwas good.

#34 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

i've been back at it lately (1x per week) and i think i am ready to start paying by the month again :clapping:

#35 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

I've been hitting class 2x a week for the past month. Class last night was great. I have that "good sore" feeling going on today in my shoulders and legs. :clapping:

#36 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:47 AM

I LOVE this thread. I have also gotten into yoga in the last few months to compliment my own Ironman training. It's workout that's not dedicated to time, or pace, or distance, or suffering...just in being present and I love that.

Oh, and I can rock the shit out of boat pose:

Posted Image

One other thing: 'Yoga shoulder'?:dunno:

#37 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

Yeah! Yoga Shoulder. My shoulders are the only part of my (physical) body that show any evidence of me doing yoga.
Put another way: If you lined up 10 people in tank tops: 5 that practiced yoga and 5 that didn't, I be you would be able to tell who was who just by looking at their shoulders. Yoga Shoulder!

#38 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

Funny, because someone mentioned that to me tonight! Apparently, I have the same. Who knew?

By the way, I thought you'd find this humorous:

https://fatandthefur...6/leggo-my-ego/

#39 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

Hot yoga! All yoga in the summer in El Chuco is Hot Yoga. Kinda feels like you are going to die during it but afterwards--HOLY HELL does it feel awesome. That first feeling when you walk outside afterward --and your skin tightens up and the salt on your skin cakes up. . . no other feeling like it!

#40 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

That first feeling when you walk outside afterward --and your skin tightens up and the salt on your skin cakes up. . . no other feeling like it!

I have that immediately following my triathlons...you could use me as a salt lick. I did find it difficult, but am going to stick with it as I need to get comfortable in the heat/humidity. I can imagine El Paso would be the same. Would love to come visit some time.

#41 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:33 AM

To the dude rocking jeans in class tonight: :Phishfolk: you rock!

#42 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

Whoah!! :funny1: Some people just don't get it.

I'm doing a DJ Groove Yoga tonight in the extreme heat- should be kinda like Bikram which I never wanted to try. :lol:

#43 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I love hot yoga!

I do yoga at home these days b/c I just don't have the $ for classes. I was really fortunate to get a good foundation with a very attentive teacher so that I know how to correct myself in most poses. I miss having the big wall of mirrors, but having to FEEL my body's alignment rather than checking it visually has brought me more awareness, so I guess there is a good side to that.

Now I just have to start up my meditation practice again... I am going to make the time for that starting this afternoon.

#44 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

when i practice at home i find that i really don't push myself. beneficial but different. that is great that you can draw on those previous classes in your home practice. stretch that yoga dollar!

#45 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:36 AM

I bit the bullet and joined a studio for one month. I agree, I need the 'push' more often if my home practice is going to get any better.

http://fatandthefuri...yoga-challenge/

#46 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

If there is one thing I am good at, it is pushing myself! :lol:

If I can't feel it then I just go deeper, hold the pose for longer, re-align until it feels right. I guess that is one of the benefits of not wearing your glasses during a yoga class - I have come to depend more on how my body feels in the poses than being able to check the mirrors. Of course, having a hardcore instructor that corrects even your fingers in the pose helps make that body memory stick, too! :)

#47 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

My wife and daughter leave town tomorrow for 2 weeks (heading back east). With my time alone here I am going to try to do WED-THURS-FRI this week and MON-TUE-WED next week (then next Thurs it is off to Washington for Phish at the Gorge!!!).

#48 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

HOT! last night. Woke up this morning dehydrated. I felt quasi-hungover.

#49 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:13 AM

Conquered another hot class tonight. I'm getting better at dried off, cleaned up, packed and gone in under 4 minutes. Not bad considering I've expunged enough bodily fluids to fill a baby pool.

#50 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

I hate when that which I have expunged flows into my mouth (I was going to say "drips" but "flows" is a better descriptor).

I didn't make it last night and I just got a FB post from my teacher that he is canceling tonight. Oh wells. . .