Photo

Were you ever bullied art school/work/camp/etc?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,349 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, I got bullied & picked on a lot as a kid. For the most part I didn't fight back, I just cried. I never understood why all the other kids hated me when I never did anything to them. Got one of them back, though. I finally screwed up the courage to bash one of my tormentors in the face with my lunchbox. Totally worth the trip to the prinicpal's office.

Not so much in high school. Sure, there was the "mean girls" clique that pretty much picked on anybody who wasn't one of "them" but by then I didn't give a shit.

#52 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,000 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

I finally screwed up the courage to bash one of my tormentors in the face with my lunchbox. Totally worth the trip to the prinicpal's office.

:Phishfolk:

I did that in first grade.

#53 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

I never understood why all the other kids hated me when I never did anything to them.

I stopped trying to figure it out. And now my step-daughter is starting to be picked on and shunned and it just. fucking. kills. me. I truly do not know if I can stand watching her go through anything like what I went through. :cry:

#54 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,349 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

:Phishfolk: I did that in first grade.

Nice.

This was probably 7th-8th grade for me. I figured I was doomed since I got sent home from school, but my parents were OK with it. They didn't want me fighting, but they were proud of me for finally defending myself.

#55 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,224 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

I never understood why all the other kids hated me when I never did anything to them. .

Yup - And it's not just kids.
I've written here before about my bitch of a bookkeeper who is horribly mean to me and nobody else. :dunno:
Sometimes it gets to me, but most of the times I can just say "there she goes again" and actually feel sorry for her.

#56 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,349 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

I stopped trying to figure it out. And now my step-daughter is starting to be picked on and shunned and it just. fucking. kills. me. I truly do not know if I can stand watching her go through anything like what I went through. :cry:

Give her a lunchbox & teach her a good left hook. it works.

#57 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,224 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Give her a lunchbox & teach her a good left hook. it works.

:moose:

#58 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Mean People Suck!

#59 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

See if she'd be interested in taking some self defense classes. Something to help build her confidence and help her to not feel so helpless. Karate, kung fu, jiujitsu, women's defense class. Anything that will help her to not feel helpless around a bully.

#60 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 672 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

we moved when I was in 5th grade from the country to the city. private school, i was the new chubby buck tooth girl with glasses. Bullied for about the next 4 years.
I do not understand how or why people are so hateful.

#61 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,000 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

Because people suck ass and our species deserves to die miserably in a plague.

#62 Goose

Goose
  • VibeTribe
  • 605 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Same as a lot of people here. When it would get to the point where I got fed up I'd flip out on them and usually win the fight. They would then stop and sometimes try to become friends. The thing that pissed me off was every single time I would get in trouble for it and my parents, the principal, the teachers would say 'next time just ignore it, no fighting'. If I turned it around on them asking if they ignored stuff like that or the other kid was
supposed to ignore bullying in the future they would get even more made at me and punish me even more. I'm pretty sure this whole 'Just ignore it' movement in this country is what causes things like Columbine and other problems.

#63 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Oh she is not helpless. She has been in karate for years and is a brown belt. I don't worry about physical bullying; she can defend herself just fine and she knows it.

It is the mental bullying that gets to me....girls are being mean to her and shutting her out of activities and telling other girls not to like her. Girls who used to be her friend suddenly aren't inviting her to their birthday parties.

#64 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

I did laugh out loud when the person who made my life most miserable in High School sent me a friend request on Facebook. I contemplated accepting it...until I ran into him at a funeral for someone else in our class who died. He didn't have any interest in talking to me or even acknowledging my existence. If you can't make conversation w/me when we're standing in a room, why the hell do you think I'd want to be your friend online?!

prolly wanted to bully you on F*c#book too! prolly

If I didn't like em in school, I won't bother trying now...unless they kiss my lilly white @$$ :joker:

#65 cassidygirl

cassidygirl
  • VibeTribe
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Flashback to maybe 1st grade a bunch of kids gathered around a book with extremely skinny Ethopian children...mean girl says to group of kids, "they look like Tracy! she's sooo skinny!" -still makes me want to cry :'(

yes...kids are mean...but then there is karma..I was taunted here and there for being "small" back in my school years...but haha! I finally filled out :bigsmile: and I call now laugh at that mean girl that friended me on FB where I can see she also "filled out" and no one can accuse of skipping dessert heehee!!

#66 cassidygirl

cassidygirl
  • VibeTribe
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

I imagine everyone has been on the wrong end of the taunting. How did you deal with it?

I wound up winning people over with my sense of humor (usually self-deprecating) & trying to stay under the bullies radar. I now worry more about my one son who is 7 and diagnosed PDD (autistic spectrum); he's above average academically, but socially he takes some things the wrong way or is very easily hurt by things that kids say ("I don't want to be your friend anymore", and then the kid is his friend three days later...that stuff makes him soooo sad!! it breaks my heart. Sometimes kids (and adults) don't realize the power that their words hold :(

#67 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,926 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Flashback to maybe 1st grade a bunch of kids gathered around a book with extremely skinny Ethopian children...mean girl says to group of kids, "they look like Tracy! she's sooo skinny!" -still makes me want to cry :'(

yes...kids are mean...but then there is karma..I was taunted here and there for being "small" back in my school years...but haha! I finally filled out :bigsmile: and I call now laugh at that mean girl that friended me on FB where I can see she also "filled out" and no one can accuse of skipping dessert heehee!!

I wish people compared me to an Ethiopian. That's noting to cry about.

#68 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,644 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

Bullying is bullying, no matter what people are calling someone.. being dismissive is no better than the person bullying.

#69 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,000 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Is Vibes going to have Bully camping this year?

#70 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,926 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Bullying is bullying, no matter what people are calling someone.. being dismissive is no better than the person bullying.

What are you talking about?

#71 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,644 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Not around Tabbooma, he will put their heads in the non flushies ;)

Is Vibes going to have Bully camping this year?

#72 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Yes, bigtime. I was, and still am, a wimp. Wonka doesn't seem to care though. <3

#73 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,000 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Not around Tabbooma, he will put their heads in the non flushies ;)

Blue swirly! :crazy:

#74 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yeah. 'n stuff...deep stuff. Made me the mature thoughtful adult I am today... :cheesy:

#75 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

I wish people compared me to an Ethiopian. That's noting to cry about.

that's bullying .. this statement right here.

#76 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,926 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

that's bullying .. this statement right here.

:rolleyes: Yes I'm bullying myself over my weight. Great observation there cookie.

#77 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

:rolleyes: Yes I'm bullying myself over my weight. Great observation there cookie.

"cookie" .. in the degrogetory sense, i take it, since you are not my husband or bf .. talking down to me is a sign of insecurity and is again, bullying. i'll send you a definition of bullying.

#78 clouseau

clouseau
  • VibeTribe
  • 387 posts
  • Locationlong island, n.y.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

For a long time in the 7th grade, this other 7th grader would push me around, knock my lunch (and other things) to the floor, and generally make my life hell. Then one day, i decided that i wasn't going to take it anymore, and when once again i was confronted, i said "That's it! i'm NOT gonna take it anymore - put up yer dukes"! Whereupon that little girl beat the living crap out of me ! i've avoided confrontations ever since! There's much to be said of self-preservation and cowardice...

#79 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,000 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

This thread makes me a sad panda.