Photo

Were you ever bullied art school/work/camp/etc?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

I imagine everyone has been on the wrong end of the taunting. How did you deal with it?

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

I broke their nose....

#3 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

unhealthy public displays of anger...

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

In high school it resulted in fights. That's where it always ended too. In earlier years unhealthy public/private displays of anger

#5 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

I stood up to my bully once in 6th grade, punched him dead in the face.

I was the one who got suspended...double whammy

#6 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I shot a man in Reno

#7 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,190 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I was bullied a few times in elementary school, each time ending in an after-school fight, after which I was never bullied by those classmates again.

#8 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

I was only picked on repeatedly by 1 person when I was 13 and took it for a long time. SoCal and a mexican gang dude gave me shit all the time for no reason. He was a punk with a crew that knew he was a punk but they backed him nonetheless. So, while playing soccer in gym one day (I was goalie) he held back and was picking on me which turned into him pushing me around, so I broke his nose. That was that, never gave me shit again. He even showed me his gun he brought to school a few months later.

sometimes it doesn't have to be scientific, someone just needs to have their nose broken

#9 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

early years 5-8th grade.... new kid in private school was tough. Mostly asked one kid why he was such a jerk.... but left it at that.
By H.S. I had "an angle" and not too much to deal with. except for the Atheletic director/ football coach... we planted a christmas tree on the 50 yard line which blew his tiny mind!

Don't worry.. I got an angle
Posted Image

#10 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,987 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

A little bit when I was about 6-7. An older kid, prolly about 13 used to beat me up, spit in my face etc. I told my older sister's boyfriend. He was about 16. Kicked his ass. He left me alone. I saw him years later, like 25 years. He says "hello". I said go F yerself.

#11 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,666 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

among other things, the kid across the road used to throw rocks at me and got his buddy to join in. ran into the kid last summer, downtown, and he apologized profusely. and he marveled at how i never reacted to the taunting, he said they tried soooooo hard to get me riled up and nothing would do it. they just couldn't figure it out. the thought of them actually discussing this together makes me laugh, and probably would have done the same, then. :funny:

#12 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,717 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

I was bullied quite a bit. It pissed me off but basically I ignored it and just brushed it off. I'm not a wuss.

#13 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

I didn't go to art school.

#14 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,190 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

I didn't go to art school.

ZING!!

#15 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

once, by a girl two years older than me, while in middle school. she wanted to fight my best friend after school but Donna was scared and ran all the way home, so she turned to me and started threatening me instead. a big crowd formed and i wasn't about to back down but i didn't really want to fight her either. she was the toughest girl in our neighborhood of very tough girls. so i talked my way out of it and made her look silly for wanting to fight someone so much younger and smaller than her, who hadn't ever done anything to deserve it. then i accepted a ride home from my brother's friend.

6 years later, another brother married her. :lol: she told me years ago that she's always respected me, starting from the day i didn't back down or run away from her at the bus stop. i told her that was the same day i learned that she'd pick on anyone as long as they were smaller than her. guess you can say we've never been particularly close.

#16 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,958 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yes.

Some day you're all going to pay.

#17 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

I was bullied quite a bit. It pissed me off but basically I ignored it and just brushed it off. I'm not a wuss.

this.

I didn't have a father around to tell/teach me to stand up and fight, and had one older sibling three years older who also seemed to like to bully and who never stuck up for me when being bullied - even when it was her friends bullying (we never really got along and are still far from close). As a young kid, when I tried standing up to my sister, I would get in trouble ('cause you can't hit a girl' even though her evilness is what brought me to that boiling point), so that trained me to not fight back. I think bullies saw 'easy target' on me due to all of the above.

My saving grace basically was an inner happiness and a solid group of friends I could count on to be friends.

My sister sucks. I remember her writing a parody song '50 ways to kill your brother'. Allowing her friends to pick on me to the point of tears without stepping in and stopping it. HER picking on me to the point of tears. Inviting me to join in something and then deny me access.

Also, if I ever run into Tommy Beaulieu, I will kick his ass or at least have the pleasure of trying (he picked on me till about 5th grade when he moved) - Now I am bigger than him and have the power of pent up anger!!!

#18 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Never was bullied. I had 3 kids in high school whom I took it upon myself to protect and stopped others from doing it to. One girl in my art class had a sister who was so mean to her. The sister used to bully her and have her friends join in. Grrrrrrrr I got a call about 10 years ago from one of them and they thanked me!

#19 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

a little bit in junior high...but for a ginger kid with glasses who wasn't that good at sports it could have ben a lot worse...lol

#20 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

is getting picked on once or twice really bullying? i always thought of it as a more chronic thing over time.... something meant to break someone down over time....

stop bullying.gov says:
"Bullying is an act of repeated aggressive behavior in order to intentionally hurt another person, physically or mentally."

#21 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

I was bullied a lot in school. It resulted in a lot of fights to defend myself.

I tried to get help from the school but they didn't really do that much back then.

It got a little better but never went away

#22 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

I was tormented by people for several years, from 4th grade through 7th grade... people pretended to be my friends and then when I told them information such as what girl I had a crush on they spread it around to the entire class like it was funny that I liked somebody... I got the whole "everybody move to another lunch table at the same time" treatment... even had rumors spread about me by my own brother... the result was that I basically had no friends and very limited social contact with anybody until I graduated high school... so I think that counts as bullying... but I grew a lot as a person in college and learned to deal with it... gained a lot of confidence even back in high school through singing and then fully realized myself after high school :)

#23 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

I was bullied a lot in school. It resulted in a lot of fights to defend myself. I tried to get help from the school but they didn't really do that much back then. It got a little better but never went away

shush you...

...and gimme yer lunch money....or else! Posted Image

#24 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

shush you... ...and gimme yer lunch money....or else! Posted Image

:crying2: :one:

#25 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

shush you... ...and gimme yer lunch money....or else! Posted Image

That's IT! Tomorrow, flagpole 3 PM!

#26 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Yeah?? Bring it!! My dad can beat up your dad anyways!!

:moon:

#27 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:05 AM

:orly:

#28 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Tabbooma and his twin brother used to stick the bullies heads in the toilet when they were picking on weaker kids ;)

#29 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,784 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Yep. Right here for being fat.

#30 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:53 AM

shadup josh!

#31 Slarti

Slarti
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:17 AM

uh... no :lol:

Posted Image

#32 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

Moved to Chatsworth NJ in 8th grade, Chatsworth put both the "Red" and "Neck" in Red Neck migrant working town. Got my ass kicked daily....after a while I really though my lips were permanently swollen and my eyes were the same. Ended up watching Bruce Lee movies over and over, worked out and got really lucky.....I started to kick enough ass that people left me alone. Later learned after moving again that my skills were not 100% there...more ass kickings as a newbee but more practice and I have not received an ass kicking since.

Not so sure why people bully/fight.....it fucking hurts no matter if you win or not....

#33 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

Posted Image

#34 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

Not usually, I had two older brothers who sort of made me immune to taunts,and how loose a fight but make it not worth it to try again.

Though in 8th grade, three 7th graders picked me out for some reason, I didn't know them, was not sure why it happened once, so I sort of let it go. The second time they were targeting me directly, I held my ground but didn't really do much, I think I pushed one.

It was towards the end of the year and my parents took me out a little early for a vacation, and when we got back and they saw I failed Math and Science, they shipped me off the to Catholic School so I never went to school with them again, still curios why they thought they should bully me, lol.

#35 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Many times, and the solution was always the same. Never be tempted to fight fair, get a pack together, ambush the fucker(s) and send them a clear message about what happens when they pick you as an enemy.

#36 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

Was bullied a little in elemedntafry school. Quit scouts bc of it, then became best friends with the kid, then dropped friendship after he'd ride coattails of my breakups, then laughed when he was arrested on domestic dispute and gun charges (bc he's an idiot not bc that's funny) then laughed again as I denied his fb friend request

#37 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,725 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Yes, I was. In 6th grade, my close circle of friends decided to ignore me. I don't have any idea why. So, for a good 5 months, I didn't have any friends. Then they all started talking to me again. Girls are bitches. :lol:

In high school I was picked on by a few boys my freshmen year. My Senior brother took care of that quickly by having a little chat with them. They didn't dare say anything else to me ever again.

#38 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Yeah?? Bring it!! My dad can beat up your dad anyways!!

:moon:

I'm telling!

#39 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yes. Relentlessly. I moved in the 3rd grade and I was the funny looking little girl with short hair who looked like a boy. And it never stopped. It was awful.

#40 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,050 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Bullied as the token fat kid til 7th grade. Not sure if it continued after that as I no longer cared. A great small group of friends made surving it all possible.

#41 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

it is so sad that so many of us had this done to us....

Kids are cruel.....

I do find it amusing when i visit my parents and I run into some of those people who bullied me and their lives suck. :lol:

#42 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

I did laugh out loud when the person who made my life most miserable in High School sent me a friend request on Facebook.

I contemplated accepting it...until I ran into him at a funeral for someone else in our class who died. He didn't have any interest in talking to me or even acknowledging my existence. If you can't make conversation w/me when we're standing in a room, why the hell do you think I'd want to be your friend online?!

#43 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

I don't even accept friend request from them......

If they really want to be friends with me they need to send me an email and open up the lines of communication.

#44 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,958 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Some day ...

... you'll see. Then you'll all be sorry.

#45 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,948 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Some day ... ... you'll see. Then you'll all be sorry.

Did someone take your red Swingline?

#46 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,958 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from 9-11, I told bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

#47 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

:lol:

#48 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

I never really got bullied but got in a few fights....mostly ending up in me getting hurt...but that was in my pre-teen days. I had one friend who used to fuck with me till I hit him with a big stick :)

#49 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:56 PM

I was bullied by a tall kid in 7th and 8th grade. I did not have my family growth spurt yet, so I didn't fight back, but fled. I had this guy in so many of my classes and he would always sit behind me and mess with me.
The 1st day of 9th grade, as in the 1st day of high school, I was sitting in the cafeteria prior to the 1st bell. This guy who picked on me all through 7th and 8th grade comes walking up to me and says, "Hey IT_Buzz, you're mother's a whore" and laughs. This guy sitting at the table gets up and punches my bully flat in the chest, knocking the bully to the ground and knocking the wind out of him. Everyone at the table starts laughing and of course a crowd gathers. My tormentor, gasping for breath sits on his ass with this bewildered look on his face. He gets enough of his breath to ask the guy who punched him, "Why did ya hit me?" The guy who punched him replies, "Because his mom is my mom too!" Everyone starts laughing again. The bully never messed with me again.

#50 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 422 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

I was pretty much a complete nerd growing up. I was one of the smartest kids in my class, and when you grow up in a working-class mill town where intelligence isn't exactly valued; being smart makes you a target. I wasn't a jock by any stretch. I was pretty good at soccer, but that didn't help. Soccer up here at the time was considered a "sissy sport". I didn't become a good baseball player until high school. Anyway, I became a target of bullying very early in school, and it continued year after year through junior high. My parents didn’t know how to deal with it, because they were both part of the “cool kid” crowd when they were younger. School officials couldn’t have cared less. I was basically told to suck it up and take it.

I didn't deal with it well at all. I would bottle it up and eventually explode with a rolling boil temper. I was able to avoid suspension for most fights, because I was luckily able to convince school officials that I wasn’t the aggressor, mainly because I would get the shit kicked out of me. Being small and inexperienced with hand-to-hand combat, I never won a fight. That didn’t help matters either. What’s a better target for bullying than being a nerd? Being a nerd that can’t stick up for himself.

I was eventually able to convince my parents to send me to the private Jesuit high school in Portland where intelligence was valued a little more, and that helped a lot. There was still some bullying, but it wasn't as bad as what I likely would have endured had I gone to my hometown high school.

Throughout high school and on into my young adult years, I turned the anger, frustration and resentment from those years of bullying into a drive to become successful in whatever I did. I wanted to live out that whole dream of “someday I’ll be your boss and the tables will be turned”. Has that happened? Not yet. I’ve been successful in my career, but I’m not the millionaire with all the kids in my class jealous of my success that I thought I’d be at this point. It doesn’t matter though. I like to take solace in the fact that those that bullied me the most growing up are either in jail, homeless or dealing with poverty now; well, at least the ones I know of. Is it right for me to take solace from that? Probably not but I don’t really care. For the hell they put me through, it’s the least they deserve.