Lighting Professionals/Amatuers Step Inside

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Every couple of years I have a summertime party. The party features a band playing all day. The band is set up under 2 standard vendor quality White EZ-UP 10'x10' canopies, with the white sidewalls as the backdrop.. Call that "the stage"

In the past, I've decorated the "stage" with a handful of red/white rope lights, twisted around the legs and struts. It does a good job of mellow stage lighting when night falls. I've incorporated some American flags into the mix.

I'd love to really step up the lighting arrangement this year. Not only would I like the stage to be a little more interesting, but maybe even project some other unusual stuff on available exterior walls of the house or something. Just kind of make it seem like somebody cared...

Of course, I'm too cheap to pay a lighting guy $1000 or more to do a professional job*. I'd like to "do it yourself", even if it means making some investments in some used lighting equipment. (compact, non-expensive, etc). (*I'm open minded to paying somebody some casual $$$ though, but not professional rates)..

What do you recommend? Any good lighting vendor stores in the area that supplies the stage lighting professionals? Any and all decoration/lighting ideas appreciated, even if it's not from a professional.

Thanks in advance!

Posted Image

#2 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Wish I were closer - I'd love to help you out. I have a very simple rig, but it looks pretty nice. I use RGB LED parcans with a simple DMX controller. I have a bunch of programs made for the colors, fades, etc, and it works nicely for a smaller stage. I also have some "dumb" sound-sensitive DJ lights for effects, and a small fog machine.

For a setup like you have, I would either put the lights on T-stands to each side of the stage area, or I've also clamped them right on to the edge of the canopy. I can just let some chases run automatically or manually trigger different scenes, depending on whether I'm busy singing or doing other stuff. It works well, and people are pretty impressed by it in a party setting.

#3 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

You'll be at SC, yes? I can give you a rundown on what I use there. Whole rig didn't even cost me a grand.

#4 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Unfortunately no SC for me. Still fighting with the "Dreaded Kitchen project".

An important aspect of whatever I have, is that it can operate without me. My hands are full that day with the catering alone. So i like the idea of the "automatic chases" and "dumb DJ sound sensitive" stuff that you mention.

Where'd you buy all this stuff?

#5 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 872 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Talk to Grippo, he may be able to give you a hand..

#6 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunately no SC for me. Still fighting with the "Dreaded Kitchen project". An important aspect of whatever I have, is that it can operate without me. My hands are full that day with the catering alone. So i like the idea of the "automatic chases" and "dumb DJ sound sensitive" stuff that you mention. Where'd you buy all this stuff?

Guitar Center. The automatic part is basically just running a program you've already made with a set fade time and speed between scenes. The sound sensitive stuff is easy - just adjust sensitivity and let it rip.

I should point out that any DMX controller isn't worth much until you program it for your fixtures. It's not very difficult, but there is a learning curve in terms of how to address fixtures and create scenes and chases. If you want to get into it, plan on having the rig set up for some time somewhere so you can mess with it, and do some homework on DMX. I had the stuff set up in my bedroom for a week or so while I figured everything out and tested it. The neighbors probably thought I was hosting a rave or something... :funny1:

I'd be happy to talk with you about simple solutions sometime.

#7 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,216 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Talk to Toddy

#8 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Talk to Grippo, he may be able to give you a hand..

Grippo?

#9 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Guitar Center. The automatic part is basically just running a program you've already made with a set fade time and speed between scenes. The sound sensitive stuff is easy - just adjust sensitivity and let it rip. I should point out that any DMX controller isn't worth much until you program it for your fixtures. It's not very difficult, but there is a learning curve in terms of how to address fixtures and create scenes and chases. If you want to get into it, plan on having the rig set up for some time somewhere so you can mess with it, and do some homework on DMX. I had the stuff set up in my bedroom for a week or so while I figured everything out and tested it. The neighbors probably thought I was hosting a rave or something... :funny1: I'd be happy to talk with you about simple solutions sometime.

Would definitely be interested in picking your brains on it.

#10 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Grippo?

Pirahna.

#11 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Pirahna.

Thanks! With hindsight, that makes sense!

#12 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Overhead projector good for homemade light show...

#13 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Spidie's got the right idea if you're looking to invest. Guitar center is going to custie you out unless you hit a closeout, but its safe. Using a projector is a nice accent if you have good stuff to project.
Grippo's been programming lights for a long time, he's advanced for this kind of setup, but he know's his shit fer sure.
If your dates lined up right, and the drive isn't too bad, I might be able to help.
Too much workstuff going on to really get into this right now, but you're in good hands.

#14 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

I picked a horrible date for this party....July 21st! GotV weekend. I'm a stupidass. ;-(

But if you're available, and willing to travel to Denville, NJ...let's talk.

I used a projector a few years back. I projected a really good psychedelic screensaver from a laptop. Worked out pretty well, although a little clumsy from the equipment side. (laptop, cables, stand, projection system). Since it was unattended, I was worried that somebody might trip over it. Worried more because it was work-owned! LOL

Modern lighting equipment isn't necessarily a requirement too. Ya know, some simple hidden light bulbs directed at unusual shapes can make a pretty eye catching scene, without costing a mint. (as long as it packs up and folds away into nothing).

I keep thinking my own creativity will help me along. I work in a large metal shop. A byproduct of the operations here are large sheets of metal from which parts have been cut out of. (Called "skeletons"). Very strange eye catching results. Has all sorts of art potential...that is, if i can get my act together to do something with it. And I'm not afraid of electrical wiring at all. I know I can develop something, but the time is not there. That's why semi-pro lighting gear seems to be the quick, simple, compact solution..

#15 bigtoddy

bigtoddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

The balloons were by request, which was awesome. Eddie, you have PM.

#16 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,827 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

JoJo is a lighting professional :thup: :)