• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#1 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I know how powerful boardie vibes can be...so I'm just going to put this out there. <3

I have a job interview this afternoon, and I don't even want to go.

I've been out of work since January, and this is the first call I have gotten for an interview. I've probably sent out over 50 resumes, and have had no responses.

Here is the problem...I fucked myself about a year and a half ago, and got a DWI. This caused me to get fired from my job because one of the responsibilities was to provide transportation to clients if needed... Which didn't work for the agency and insurance reasons. (this is what they told me)

Soooooo...I have a conditional license. I can drive for work....but the challenge is finding someone who will hire me.

I have only been sending my resume to Administrative jobs. But, I guess the employers are wondering why a 'social worker' is applying to be a secretary, and have not been interested.

Thursday night, I saw an ad to be a Part Time Service Coordinator for people with Traumatic Brain Injuries. I don't really know much about Traumatic brain injuries, but services are services...And I can learn....So, just for shits and giggles, I sent it. I didnt even include a cover letter! just sent my resume through Monster... and they called me first thing the next morning.

This only confirmed that If I didn't fuck up my career with the DWI, I would have a new job in no time, based on my past experience. I just want to get back in the field. I don't even care if its part time...I'll get a retail job to compensate my income.

I just called the woman I have the interview with to inquire what their expectations are regarding driving the clients. I had a wonderful conversation with the woman, and She said that driving the clients would basically be my own perogitive... That I could if I wanted to, but its not required.

I dont think Ill get the job. Once they find out I have a conditional license, they prolly wont hire me. Prolly....

So this is where I could use advice or something... Should I go on the stupid interview knowing I'm facing rejection? I know the answer from most everyone will be Yes.. go on it anyway, but I really don't need "practice' on interviewing... Thats never been a problem, and the woman on the phone is excited to meet with me.

Should I call her back and ASK if the conditional license will be a problem? So I don't waste both of our time?

#2 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,380 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

If a drivers license is not needed then I wouldn't tell them.

Good luck, I hope you get the job!

#3 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

no, it is needed. I will be conducting home visits.

#4 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

She said "make sure you bring your license and social security card with you. My licenses is marked in big red letters CONDITIONAL....

#5 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,380 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Well your conditional license allows you to drive for work purposes, correct?

Done.

#6 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Go on the interview. If having a license is an issue for the job, you will find out. No sense turning down the job before you get it. Go on the interview, who knows? You might get the job! Worst case is that your fears are realized, and that the DWI is following you around. That's the worst case, there are plenny of other things that can happen....

I would not call and ask about the license. You can always say that you don't wanna transport clients, insurance... blah, blah, blah...

#7 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Go! From what she said, driving is up to you, so I agree with TS in that just don't mention it. Your license will be cleared up eventually, and you can reassess then. They obviously liked your credentials enough to call you for an interview right away, so you're probably already a leg up.

Think positively. BE positive. Here's your action plan:

1. Go to interview!
2. Be positive!
3. Ace interview!
4. ???
5. Profit!!

#8 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Was the DWI a conviction or something like we have in MA "continued without a finding." I wouldn't tell them about the license unless asked, but they'll likely do a CORI right?

If you haven't had an interview in months I would still go- keeps your job search skills primed.

#9 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,380 posts

Ohhh ok.

Well are there other reasons for a conditonal license rather a DWI or drug offense?

Um, maybe you didn't pay your parking ticket and it was revoked? ...Im trying.

#10 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

The asking for license could be just about identification not that they need you to have one. Even McDonalds wants to see ID.

#11 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,186 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

The asking for license could be just about identification not that they need you to have one. Even McDonalds wants to see ID.

This.

#12 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

like everyone else said, don't mention anything about your license unless they ask. & you're permitted to drive to & from work so i really wouldn't worry about it. good luck love!!! you never know what could come out of it if you don't try :)

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Go! From what she said, driving is up to you, so I agree with TS in that just don't mention it. Your license will be cleared up eventually, and you can reassess then. They obviously liked your credentials enough to call you for an interview right away, so you're probably already a leg up. Think positively. BE positive. Here's your action plan: 1. Go to interview! 2. Be positive! 3. Ace interview! 4. ??? 5. Profit!!

This.

#14 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

Was the DWI a conviction or something like we have in MA "continued without a finding." I wouldn't tell them about the license unless asked, but they'll likely do a CORI right? If you haven't had an interview in months I would still go- keeps your job search skills primed.

It was a misdemeanor conviction. Its the only mark on my record, Ive never been in trouble before. I'm still on probation. Im not sure what a CORI is.. ?

#15 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Go! From what she said, driving is up to you, so I agree with TS in that just don't mention it. Your license will be cleared up eventually, and you can reassess then. They obviously liked your credentials enough to call you for an interview right away, so you're probably already a LEGO. Think positively. BE positive. Here's your action plan: 1. Go to interview! 2. Be positive! 3. Ace interview! 4. ??? 5. Profit!!

^That

#16 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,186 posts

And if it doesn't work out, you can always go to the fallback plan and poop on her desk.

See? Everyone wins! :cheesy:

#17 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Ohhh ok. Well are there other reasons for a conditonal license rather a DWI or drug offense? Um, maybe you didn't pay your parking ticket and it was revoked? ...Im trying.

I was thinking that!! What other reasons to people receive "conditional licenses"?

Im not sure if they will do a criminal background check, but I have had one done for every single other job Ive had, so I dont see why this one would be different.

#18 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Once they find out I have a conditional license, they prolly wont hire me. Prolly....

Or maybe they will.

I would go. Without expectation of what the outcome will be. And I would let her know about your license after you've talked in person a little bit. Once she gets to to know you, she might be more willing to stretch a bit...

#19 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,729 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

If you have it scheduled, you should go. At the very least, it's another chance to practice interviewing.

Good luck!! :grin:

#20 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Go! From what she said, driving is up to you, so I agree with TS in that just don't mention it. Your license will be cleared up eventually, and you can reassess then. They obviously liked your credentials enough to call you for an interview right away, so you're probably already a leg up. Think positively. BE positive. Here's your action plan: 1. Go to interview! 2. Be positive! 3. Ace interview! 4.Go to StrangeCreek and party before I start a new job 5. Profit!!

Maybe I should write this on my hand so I wont forget is. lol.

#21 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I feel like I'm missing something. Your first call for an interview and it's as if you've given up already. as if you're afraid of rejection from past mistakes.

shit happens, life goes on. go to the interview, be yourself, be honest and see what happens. all you know is how this HAS affected you, not how it WILL affect you.

#22 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Or maybe they will. I would go. Without expectation of what the outcome will be. And I would let her know about your license after you've talked in person a little bit. Once she gets to to know you, she might be more willing to stretch a bit...

This is what I'm hoping for.... that she would meet me, I'll blow her mind with how fabulous I am... And that she will make an exception. lol.

See, this is Why I need you guys. <3

#23 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,186 posts

No go forth and kick ass. Good luck!! :heart:

#24 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I feel like I'm missing something. Your first call for an interview and it's as if you've given up already. as if you're afraid of rejection from past mistakes. shit happens, life goes on. go to the interview, be yourself, be honest and see what happens. all you know is how this HAS affected you, not how it WILL affect you.

I'm afraid of rejection because I dont have "A clean and valid drivers license" ....

#25 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Ya can't hit a homerun sitting on the bench.....

#26 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Ya can't hit a homerun sitting on the bench.....

<3 I like that. :)

#27 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,024 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Go! From what she said, driving is up to you, so I agree with TS in that just don't mention it. Your license will be cleared up eventually, and you can reassess then. They obviously liked your credentials enough to call you for an interview right away, so you're probably already a leg up. Think positively. BE positive. Here's your action plan: 1. Go to interview! 2. Be positive! 3. Ace interview! 4. ??? 5. Profit!!

This. You'll be fine, and even if you don't get it, it's another chance to practice interviewing.

#28 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,729 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

It was a misdemeanor conviction. Its the only mark on my record, Ive never been in trouble before. I'm still on probation. Im not sure what a CORI is.. ?

It stands for Criminal Offender Record Information, it's a record of your history being charged with any crimes in state of federal courts.

#29 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

I'm afraid of rejection because I dont have "A clean and valid drivers license" ....

But you already know there's the possibility they could say no because of that, so you don't need to be afraid of it- don't be so worried about it- it is what it is. You can be much more matter of fact about it, and that will also help your confidence.

#30 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,493 posts

conversely, ya can't get drilled by a wild pitch either, but I digress... :lol:

#31 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

This is what I'm hoping for.... that she would meet me, I'll blow her mind with how fabulous I am... And that she will make an exception. lol. See, this is Why I need you guys. <3

well, duh

#32 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

I say put on your big girl pants and give it a go. :grin:

#33 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Your not meeting the requirements for a particular job (if that's the case) isn't a rejection...it's just not meeting the requirements for that particular job.

Fear sucks. Love doesn't. Err on the side of love.

#34 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

well, duh

Yes! :smile:

#35 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,186 posts

You can always think of Karen's boobies. That helps me. I'm sure she won't mind. :funny1:

#36 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

:rolleyes: Really Tim? Must we puke here too?

#37 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

:lol:

You know I love ya brother

#38 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,729 posts

This is what I'm hoping for.... that she would meet me, I'll blow her mind with how fabulous I am... And that she will make an exception. lol. See, this is Why I need you guys. <3

That's the attitude!! :thumbsup:

#39 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

You can always think of Karen's boobies. That helps me. I'm sure she won't mind. :funny1:

That helps us all. Really. Thank you. Oh thank you.

#40 u.s.blues

u.s.blues
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

go and do not mention the conditional license. you are legal to drive for work. if they bring it up so be it, discuss it then, but otherwise i wouldn't draw attention to it...

#41 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,253 posts

#42 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

LOL!!!

#43 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Noted. :)

#44 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

:lmao:

:lol: You know I love ya brother

You, too, mama!

#45 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

ugh... I feel nauseous. lol. I feel like I will end up disappointing the lady I interview with too... My last job said they Couldn't keep me...That The the Office of Mental Health did not allow it. I don't even know how true that was, and I couldnt find any rules on the internet or anything.

#46 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,380 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

And when you get this job be sure to tell them you have a sisters wedding to attend on July 20th weekend, in Bridgeport. :bouncey:

#47 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,274 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Confidence rules the day, nikki. Quite yer betchin', put on your best outfit and give them a reason to HIRE you, not turn you away. Sheesh, it's like I have to do Jersey Thug's job only I suck at it.

#48 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,761 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

ugh... I feel nauseous. lol. I feel like I will end up disappointing the lady I interview with too... My last job said they Couldn't keep me...That The the Office of Mental Health did not allow it. I don't even know how true that was, and I couldnt find any rules on the internet or anything.

No no no- that''s just because you're been tortured with the chinabeek love virus- step away from the computer and get ready for your interview- you'll feel much better.

#49 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

seriously... 3 years probation for a first offense.

A law passed 2 months before I was arrested that EVERYONE who gets a DWI, MUST have an ignition interlock device in their car as part of the probabion. New York's consequenses are very harsh. :cry:

I actually never lost my license...Just suspended for 4 months from arrest to conviction.

I'm certainly NOT telling them that I have the interlock.

Which, brings up something else I worry about....

DWI has such an awful stigma. & I understand it. My fear, is that this agency provides assistance to people with Traumatic Brain Injuries. I wonder how many of the clients were involved in an accident where a Drunk Driver was the cause... (even if they caused it themselves)

What if the woman Im interviewing with, has a son who was killed by a drunk driver or something...?

#50 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,708 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

No no no- that''s just because you're been tortured with the chinabeek love virus- step away from the computer and get ready for your interview- you'll feel much better.

lol.

ok. Getting in the shower now.