Photo
- - - - -

Veggies galore thread...need to cook more!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,106 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

i am trying to make veggies a larger part of my diet
its not a problem, per se, but i need some more interesting ways to cook them
i am not going veggie - i just want meat to be a treat rather than a requirement

i just oven-roasted a sheet pan of baby potatoes, sweet potatoes, parnsips, turnips, beets, onions
i meant to put carrots in too but forgot
just evoo and salt and pepper
convection roast at 350 for about 45 mins
delicious :drool:

i have a ton of carrots so i am going to make a vat of carrot ginger soup this weekend, too

anyone got some other awesome easy recipes involving mostly veggies?

i love a good fritatta/strata, too :smile:

i like to use raw veggies to dip into hummus but i really need to switch things up or i get bored and fall into bad habits...:plain:

#2 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

I just started making a grilled potato salad :drool:

cut potatoes into thick slices
marinate in olive oil & italian seasonings
grill
marinate green beans & mushrooms in the same
saute
mix all together w/ a little more marinade, s & p

YUM hot or cold

I love soup so I make veggie soups a lot
kale chips are great
veggie chili
cauliflower steaks

another fav is grilled veg sandwiches:
grill slices of eggplant, zucchini, peppers etc
put on a crusty roll w/ goat cheese & balsamic

zucchini boats:

halve & scoop out seeds of zucchini
brush w/ olive oil &* s&p
mince baby bella mushrooms
stuff w/ mushrooms & bake until cooked through & browned
top w/ goat cheese

I'm hungry now :lol:

#3 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,106 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

so, when do you cook the potatoes in the grilled potato salad? :huh:
after marinating, before cutting, yes?
unclear how it was written

sounds yummy!

already planning on a zucchini boat
i was going to use brown rice and saute some mushrooms, onions, garlic, celery and seasonings and sprinkle some parmesan on top

i have decided that i LOVE over roasted parsnips :drool:
and beets :drool:

#4 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,260 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

I've been doing burritos- I make the bean mixture with meatless crumbles and sauteed onions, re-fried beans, salsa, chipotles in adobo...then I make a second mixture of sauteed al dente vegetables like onions, garlic, zucchini, summer squash, peppers (I like yellow or orange) sometimes carrots

To assemble spoon the bean mixture onto the tortilla and then some of the veggie mixture and roll up. I top with guac, a little sour cream, shredded lettuce, and tomatoes, and then of course a healthy dousing of cock sauce. . it takes a little more prep than some dishes, but I end up eating them alll week long and the kids can grab them whenever they want. They are the bomb.

#5 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,260 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

The Newman's Own Alfredo sauce is very good and relatively low in calories...I cook this at least once a week and it goes fast- a box of fettuccine in the pot, meanwhile saute whatever veggies you want- I like asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, snap peas are nice- I always use a green of some sort- usually 2 bags worth because it cooks down so much- spinach or chard, whatever. At the end when the greens are just wilted I toss in chopped tomatoes. Toss it all together gently in the pasta pot. So good and super easy and quick.

#6 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

when iget tired of spinich, i just throw some arugala into the mix.
salad or sauteeed

Ingredients
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 2 ounces bacon or pancetta, diced
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, if needed
• 2 cups loosely packed large-leafed arugula (about 2 bunches), rinsed, drained but not dried
• 2 cups loosely packed large-leafed spinach (abou1 1 bunches), rinsed, drained but not dried

Kosher or sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Directions
Sautee the garlic and bacon/pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat until they begin to crisp and turn golden. If the bacon/pancetta is lean and renders little fat, add the olive oil.
Add the arugula and spinach and cook, turning occasionally, until the leaves wilt, 3 to 5 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

#7 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,106 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

awesome ideas :clapping:

keep em coming :drool:

#8 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,851 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

Stir fry! If u have a wok or big pan, just dice up garlic & ginger and heat slowly in a mix of sesame oil and veggie oil. crank up heat and then add onion, bell peppers, mushrooms and some soy sace + oyster sauce or teriyaki.. cook down a bit and then add broccoli, water chestnuts, baby corn, bean sprouts, shredded cabbage, snap peas, scallions.. whatever u got! Stir fry at high heat, finish with sesame seeds.

If u want u can cook shrimp or tofu or chicken first, and then add it once the veggies are almost all the way cooked thru.

#9 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,851 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

Carla had a great recipe for greens n beans.. it was swiss chard sauteed w onions, white beans, chorizo and red wine, finished w red wine vingegar, I believe...

#10 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

yep I do a few different versions but the same basic idea...some greens (spinach/kale/chard) and:
white or pinto beans and sausage/chorizo/pancetta/bacon type thing
white or pinto beans and tomatoes (rip up the greens and make it more soupy w some chicken broth for a cooler night maybe a bit of pasta if you need some carby comfort)
white or pinto beans and chicken sausage, zucchini and tomato

#11 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

Warm Vegetable Salad

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Show: Everyday ItalianEpisode: Cooking Outside the Box
Posted ImagePhoto: Warm Vegetable Salad Recipe

Rated 5 stars out of 5

Total Time: 40 min Prep 15 min Cook 25 min

Yield: 4 to 6 servings Level: Intermediate

Ingredients
Directions

Preheat the broiler. Place the red peppers on a foil lined baking sheet.
Place the red peppers under the boiler. Turning every 2 to 3 minutes cook the peppers until the skin is blistered, about 8 to 9 minutes total. Place the blistered peppers in a plastic bag. Seal the bag and allow the peppers to sit for 10 minutes to allow the skin to separate and to let cool.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the potatoes to a cutting board. Add the green beans to the pot. Cook the green beans until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the green beans to a large bowl. Slice the potatoes in half while still warm and combine them with the green beans in the large bowl. Remove the peppers from the plastic bag. Peel off the skin from the peppers. Slice the pepper flesh into wide strips and remove the seeds and veins. Place them in the bowl with the potatoes. Add the scallions, parsley, and garlic
and toss to combine.
In a small bowl combine the oregano, lemon juice and zest, and white wine vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the salt and pepper. Toss the warm vegetables with the herb vinaigrette. Serve immediately.

#12 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

that salad is good warm or cold! and so freaking yummy...i force fed it to boardies the year the pot luck got rained out...and I still get requests for it at events LOL

I haven't tried this one but it's on the one day soon list

SPINACH STUFFED MUSHROOMS

Makes about 2 dozen

We asked our Whole Story blog readers to submit their best holiday appetizer for less than 50 cents each piece. Here's our favorite, from Susan K., who got her recipe printed in The Whole Deal value guide and received a $50 gift card.
Ingredients

2 tablespoons 365 Everyday Value Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
2 (8-oz) packages button or baby bella mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped, caps left intact
1 small yellow onion, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 (1-pound) pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess water
6 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled

Method

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushroom stems, onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl along with spinach, toss well; set aside to cool. Arrange mushroom caps in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Add Feta, salt and pepper to spinach mixture then divide filling evenly between mushrooms, mounding it in the center of each. Drizzle mushrooms with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and bake until softened and juicy, about 20 minutes.

#13 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

I LOVE pesto :)

My basil is looking awesome and I can't wait to make this after SC

Makes about 2 cups

If you're in the mood to make your own pesto, consider this vitamin-packed recipe. Keep this dish in mind when cooking for pint-sized picky eaters, too, since it's the perfect way to sneak more veggies onto their dinner plates. For a shortcut, pulse 1 (16-ounce) tub prepared pesto with broccoli or spinach until almost smooth. Toss pesto with hot pasta, spread onto sandwiches or use as a dip for celery and carrots sticks.
Ingredients

5 cups lightly packed basil leaves
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1 cup olive oil
1 pound regular or baby spinach or 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Put basil, cheese, nuts, lemon juice and garlic into a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in oil until combined. Add broccoli or spinach and pulse again until almost smooth; season with salt and pepper.

#14 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

I just discovered this one, and I love it! It's the perfect light lunch or side dish for dinner

QUINOA WITH LEMON AND ZUCCHINI

Serves 6

Toss with peeled, cooked shrimp to make a complete meal.
Ingredients

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
1 1/4 cups quinoa, rinsed for 1 minute under running water
2 1/2 cups water
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Lots of chopped fresh dill
Crumbled feta (optional)

Method

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until zucchini is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Remove zucchini from the pan and add quinoa, water and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, covered, until quinoa is tender but still chewy and a white spiral-like germ appears around each grain, about 15 minutes.

Toss quinoa with zucchini, zest, lemon juice and dill. Serve warm or room temperature, topped with feta cheese if you like.

#15 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

I have had the ingredients for this at least two times now and have't made it, but I'm hoping this summer! (cooking anything that requires more then 10 minutes of cutting doesn't happend during the week for me. And it probably takes way less time then I think it does

RAW VEGETABLE "PASTA" WITH TOMATOES AND HERBS

Serves 6

Try this delicious "pasta" made from strips of summer squash and zucchini tossed with tomatoes, olive oil and fresh basil and oregano for a dish packed with bright flavors.
Ingredients

2 zucchini squash, shaved thinly lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
2 yellow summer squash, shaved thinly lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
5 oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano

Method

In a large bowl, gently toss together all ingredients. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.

#16 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

Seves 6

Quick cooking is the secret to this side dish's super-fresh taste. Serve it warm or room temperature, and use leftovers in omelets or add to a marinara sauce for pasta.
Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 yellow squash, halved and sliced into half-moons
1 zucchini, halved and sliced into half-moons
1 cup halved red grape tomatoes
1 cup halved yellow grape tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano

Method

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add yellow squash, zucchini, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the red and yellow tomatoes and continue cooking just until vegetables are tender and begin to release their liquid, about 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the oregano.

#17 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

an awesome go to summer salad for me :)

http://www.onceupona...inaigrette.html

#18 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,106 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

all this looks awesome :drool:

i am a sucker for greek ingredients
i could put feta, artichoke hearts, spinach, kalmata olives and tomatoes in everything :blush:

#19 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

Spicy Quinoa Cucumber Tomato Salad

Ingredients:

• 1 cup quinoa
  • 3 cups water
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 cups diced cucumber
  • 1 small red onion, finely minced (optional)
  • 2 cups finely diced tomatoes
  • 1 to 2 jalapeño, seeded if desired and finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 avocado, sliced, for garnish
NOTE: I also added in some feta cheese, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.

• Place the quinoa in a bowl, and cover with cold water. Let sit for five minutes. Drain through a strainer, and rinse until the water runs clear. Bring the 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add salt (1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon) and the quinoa. Bring back to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and translucent; each grain should have a little thread. Drain off the water in the pan through a strainer, and return the quinoa to the pan. Cover the pan with a clean dishtowel, replace the lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes. If making for the freezer, uncover and allow to cool, then place in plastic bags. Flatten the bags and seal.
  • Meanwhile, place the finely diced cucumber in a colander, and sprinkle with salt. Toss and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Rinse the cucumber with cold water, and drain on paper towels. If using the onion, place in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for five minutes, then drain, rinse with cold water and drain on paper towels.
  • Combine the tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, vinegar, lime juice and olive oil in a bowl. Add the cucumber and onion, season to taste with salt, and add the quinoa and cilantro. Toss together, and taste and adjust seasonings. Serve garnished with sliced avocado and cilantro sprigs.

Advance preparation: The quinoa freezes well, and the assembled salad will keep for a day in the refrigerator. The leftovers will be good for a couple of days.

#20 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,397 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

going through my veggies favorites helped me find that last one, I forgot about it

#21 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,851 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

we have been buying fresh bags of local produce from this amazing company, Field-Goods - they drop off @ my office! it's amazing. their website is really cool, too - they provide recipes for all sorts of veggies, mostly related to the ones that pop up in their farm shares.. you can search by ingredient! check it out -

http://field-goods.com/food.html

#22 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,851 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

i had some leftover beet greens (roasted the beets last night - the greens are very similar to swiss chard) so i sauteed up some garlic & onion, then rinsed and chopped the greens, and sauteed that quickly in the garlic/onion/oil... set it all aside and made an omelette - stuffed with cheddar cheese and a BUNCH of the beet green sautee mixture... some Louisiana hot sauce on top, slice of toast and bacon on the side?? YUM!!! awesome breakfast packed w/ nutrients! (and bacon) :D

#23 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,260 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

kohlrabo potatoaugratin- use your favorite potato au gratin recipe and add a layer of sliced kohlrabi.

#24 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Stir fry! If u have a wok or big pan, just dice up garlic & ginger and heat slowly in a mix of sesame oil and veggie oil. crank up heat and then add onion, bell peppers, mushrooms and some soy sace + oyster sauce or teriyaki.. cook down a bit and then add broccoli, water chestnuts, baby corn, bean sprouts, shredded cabbage, snap peas, scallions.. whatever u got! Stir fry at high heat, finish with sesame seeds.

If u want u can cook shrimp or tofu or chicken first, and then add it once the veggies are almost all the way cooked thru.

Love this method! Thanks Randy.

#25 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,106 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

ginger, would that work with collard greens ya think? :huh:
have a big bag of them and wondering how to use them...

i made a yummy fritatta last night
in the eggs i put: roasted potatoes and garlic, carmelized onions, some leftover grilled asparagus and some roasted summer squash
with a small amount of parmesan on top
it came out pretty damn good! :smile:

been eating a lot of hummus lately with fresh veggies as a dipper (zucchini, carrots, cucumber, whatever i have)

#26 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,260 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Oh absolutely Dee, just chop them and sprinkle them over the potatoes, then the other things you would layer (butter flour salt cheese)...I do that with kale.