• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

Here's mine:

Friday, we were at Lowes picking out flowers to plant over the weekend (Mothers Day). I'm playing with my son while my ex is putting plants in the cart. I give my son a HUGE industrial zip tie to play with (it was behind a display). My ex comes back over and I'm holding my son in my right arm while answering her questions about planting. In a FLASH I feel the most painful feeling I have ever experienced (being jabbed directly in the ear canal with the zip tie) and in that moment, I DROPPED MY SON.

He was like 4 feet high, and it was completely involantary, a reflex to protect my ear I guess because I had no idea what happened. I may have lowered him as much as possible before letting go, it happened so fast. My concern at that moment was that I threw him away in some kind of reflexive defensive move. It was late in the day, we were hungry, and call me crazy but I didn't even realize I was holding him when it happened. Like it was second nature for him to just be there.

My ex took him to a quiet part of the store where she held him closely, they both cried. I came over and she didn't want to see me. I pleaded how sorry I was and how I "can't believe that just happened" etc. I have never dropped my son. If you have a baby you know how squirmy they are, and it happens. But it hadn't happened yet, to me. I am proud of how I protect him, and I just blew it big time right there.

Once things settled down, I called the Pediatrician and they told us to come right in. Our son began nodding off after his spell of crying, and continued to nod off in the car, which scared us. My ex worked to keep him awake. By the time we got to the Pediatrician, it was 830 pm. As we walked in their office, my son perked up, smiled, and in the light we saw his bruise was there, but it was not as bad as it had been in my mind. Turns out he was fine, I think I took the worst of it. I ended up with a punctured tempanic membrane, aka ruptured ear drum. Apparently this can heal in a month or 2, but I'm watching out for signs of infection. It's annoying but doesn't hurt, so I'm not doing anything about it.

LESSON: Don't give them something to play with if it is not a toy ??

#2 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

OUch!

When Jess was 6 months (about) I turned away from her on the changing table & she rolled off it onto the floor! thank god it was carpeted - she was fine

when Cate was 2ish she practically cartwheeled down an entire flight of steps onto ceramic tile - again fine

Jess was running through the house last spring, fell & smashed her face into the coffee table - 8 stitches right above the eye

That same week Cate smashed her thumb in a big metal door & broke it...............

these are only the ones that come immediately to mind. Welcome to parenting

PS a trick to tell is there is a concussion: hold your hand over 1 eye when in bright light for 15-20 seconds), when you take your hand away, if the eye pupil retracts - no concussion. If there is no change, possible. (from my hubbs the RN)

#3 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,778 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have three of them.

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,584 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

I get a sense of deja vu when I read this story. Heady, did you almost drop him when he was really new?

#5 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

I have never dropped either of my girls but they have both rolled off of beds and couches. More so with Eliza b/c I was busy chasing Maya!

We have been really lucky with accidents etc. Never been to the ER or had anything broken or needed stitches (I'm knocking on wood right now). I have however let some rashes go too long before getting treated and have felt awful about that.

#6 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,778 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

All my kids have had stitches. Unless you use duct tape and bubble wrap, it's almost inevitable.

Our first pediatrician was old-school. He had an OR in his office and he did all his own stitching.

#7 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

My now 10 year old was playing in our kitchen in the lazy susan and ate rat poison on my watch. Called poison control and they said unless she bleeds don't worry about it.....thought I dialed the wrong number. Days or weeks later she was chewing on a "Swifter" pad.....called poison control again, and again they said don't worry.....a third call to them was only weeks away.

#8 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,778 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

My son ate a bunch of birth control pills when he was 2 or 3. The poison control center said it happens all the time because they look like candy. Other than blowing chunks in his bed, he was fine.

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,584 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Chunks, now there is a name you don't hear often.

#10 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,523 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Posted Image

#11 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Posted Image

#12 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Cages=no way, I have have to clean up their piss and shit.

Try an electric fence in your backyard. Oh, be sure to hook it up to your house current since those battery operated ones keep chewing up batteries.

#13 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

I failed to secure a mate and procreate :sperm:

Aside from that, when my cat was just a kitten I threw a broken CFL in the trash while thinking "maybe I should put this in a paper bag first, zaphod loves to crawl through the trash". I didn't. Less than two hours later he was thumping his bloody paw all over my living room floor.

Also, one time zaphod was watching me prepare plant food. I noticed a puddle of what could have been phosporic acid on my work space. I thought to my self "hey i hope he doesn't jump up on that puddle". Moments later he did. I tasted the puddle quickly to see if it was in fact acid, because he would need immediate rinsing. It was. He looked at me calmly as I rinsed his paws under cold water for 15 minutes. He was fine but I couldn't taste things correctly for a few days, and i can still feel the difference when I think about it.

Maybe for the best I don't procreate? :confused1:

#14 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

I think all of those experiences help prepare you for the ultimate responsibility, taking care of a child. I'm sure you'd do just fine. Hell, if I can pull it off....... :lol:

#15 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

Maybe for the best I don't procreate? :confused1:

Yes! God invented some people to raise cats (badly) and others to raise kids......you found your calling. Be blessed with this knowledge and don't seek the seed of another human. ;-)

#16 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

I may have to disagree with you there. We had an unplanned pregnancy, otherwise I don't think I would have ever believed I was meant to be a father. And now I have no doubt that I was given an amazing son to raise for so many powerful reasons. Just me though. :)

#17 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

I think all of those experiences help prepare you for the ultimate responsibility, taking care of a child. I'm sure you'd do just fine. Hell, if I can pull it off....... :lol:

Thanks Heady, maybe one day :)

#18 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,535 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

When Jerry was an infant I would carry him to the car in the car seat and then buckle the seat in, but then came the day he was just too darn heavy, so one day I carried him to the car and buckled him into the car seat- but in my mind when I heard that click, he was secured, but I hadn't yet put the lap belt securing the seat. So I went off driving and at one point I took the corner and the seat rolled over and over and ended up upside down face down behin the drivers seat. I pulled over and pulled the seat out from being wedged and jerry was smiling and cooing away.

#19 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

when makai was a baby, we lived in a tipi, no electricity, etc. one night, in the middle of the night, still asleep i guess, i was changing his diaper and stabbed him with a diaper pin! :eek: this was before i knew about diaper covers. i never had to use pins on forest.

forest i lost in public. 3 times :blush: the 1st was the worst, in a big store. i thought he was gone forever. he was hiding from me because i wouldn't buy him a toy. i turned around for literrally 3 seconds and he was gone! i almost had them close the store. i did call the police, the husband etc. one of the worst feelings ever!

the other two times i lost him were much safer environments and, by that time, i was a pro at losing him :thup: