Im hiking the Appalachain trail and miss live music

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Billy Jack

Billy Jack
  • VibeTribe
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

I've been in the woods walking from Geroria to Maine for over 80 days now. The only time I have had a chance to see ayou lives show was when I stopped in Asheville. CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO VIBES.

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

:clap:

#3 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

Keep going!! Are you getting off for Vibes or ending for Vibes?

#4 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,531 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

I've been in the woods walking from Geroria to Maine for over 80 days now. The only time I have had a chance to see ayou lives show was when I stopped in Asheville. CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO VIBES.

Someday, I'd like to to what you're doing. Live music is wonderful, but so is getting deep into connection with yourself and nature. The little 2 hour hikes I've been taking result in better adjusted views of the world. I'd love to see what a week or a month would do.

Keep walking.

#5 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,786 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Are you too poor to take a bus????

#6 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:12 AM

good for you, enjoy the opportunity!!! see you at vibes!! :jam:

#7 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:15 AM

Life long wish...congrats! What's your location this week?

#8 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

This is effing amazing. Keep it up man....:)

#9 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Right on! Walking to Vibes = most bad bass viber ever.

Have never hiked longer than a week but have done several summerlong bicycle tours (transam in 02 and great divide in 07). I met dso while bicycling x country in breckenridge in 02, and when I told them I had biked there from or they were so impressed! It was cool to connect w them and share my adventure!

#10 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,316 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

Very jealous! The longest trek for me so far has been the 130 mile NPT in the Adirondacks.Would love to tackle the AT while I still have the legs for it.
Plenty of live music to catch later, live this adventure to the fullest!

#11 noro

noro
  • VibeTribe
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Enjoy the experience. There will always be music.

#12 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Awesome! Someday I want to trek the Bruce Trail from start to end. Right now it's just little day hikes here and there. The music of the forest and hillsides is sweeter than any band I have ever heard.

Enjoy your travels!

#13 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Try to find the Clampetts: they play some great hillbilly musicPosted Image

#14 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Heard about this?

Police: Hikers hogtie man who attempted to take them hostage

Published May 10, 2012 9:05 PM By Brad Hicks - Erwin Bureau Chief

ERWIN —Unicoi County Sheriff Mike Hensley said the outcome of arrest could have been much worse for a Roan Mountain man taken into custody earlier this week after he allegedly picked the wrong group of hikers to attempt to take hostage.

Marcus F. Birchfield, 40, 962 Hampton Creek Road, Roan Mountain, was arrested by the Unicoi County Sheriff’s Department and charged with four counts of aggravated kidnapping, impersonating a police officer, going armed, possession of a schedule II drug and possession of drug paraphernalia.

It was a little before midnight Monday when Hensley said Unicoi County 911 received a call stating an individual was holding several hikers hostage at the Beauty Spot lookout on Unaka Mountain. Hensley, who took the call, said the caller stated the man had approached the group of five hikers with a handgun drawn, told them that he was a game warden, and ordered them to get down on their hands and knees. The 911 call, Hensley said, came from one of the hikers allegedly being taken hostage.

Hensley said he immediately notified UCSD Chief Deputy Frank Rogers and U.S. Forest Service Agent Kim Coleman of the situation. An officer was dispatched to the Red Fork Falls entrance, which is the entrance to the Beauty Spot lookout in the Limestone Cove area, to seal off the road there. Hensley said he then “raced” to the top of Indian Grave Gap, which is at the North Carolina border up Rock Creek Road, to block the road there and await the arrival of other officers.

As officers ascended the mountain and headed to the scene, Hensley said another 911 came in. In this one, the caller advised that the hikers, two of whom were U.S. Coast Guard officers, had gotten the opportunity to get Birchfield’s gun away from him and subdue him, Hensley said.

Hensley said the hikers had already hogtied Birchfield with parachute rope by the time officers arrived at the scene.

“So when they got the chance, they sucker punched him, knocked him down, and were able to subdue him and tied him up,” Hensley said.

Unicoi County officials took Birchfield into custody early Tuesday morning. Hensley said Birchfield had the “strong odor of intoxicant about his person” when officers arrived at the scene. He was found also to be in possession of a bottle containing oxycodone and a sniffing straw, according to the arrest report. Hensley also said the 9 mm handgun in Birchfield’s possession was fully loaded.

Hensley said the Coast Guard officers were aware Birchfield was not a law enforcement official as he possessed no credentials. He also said the group of hikers all gave the same account of the incident.

“They all gave the same story that he came down in a truck, got out waving a handgun, told them that he was a game warden, and for them to get down on their hands and knees,” Hensley said. “He actually searched them, he asked them if they were partying, if they had drugs. He was wanting to party and have some drugs.”

Other than a couple of minor traffic violations, Hensley said Birchfield had no prior criminal record. According to the arrest report, Birchfield admitted pointing a gun at the campers and identifying himself as a game warden.

“He’s very lucky that one of the hikers didn’t kill him, and if we had pulled up there on the scene and he would have been holding all these guys at gunpoint, we could have been forced to have to do something,” Hensley said. “But luckily it all worked out. It was a good ending. Nobody got hurt.”

Birchfield was arraigned Wednesday in Unicoi County Sessions Court and was released from jail after posting a $75,000 corporate bond. He is scheduled to again appear in Sessions Court next Thursday.

#15 Billy Jack

Billy Jack
  • VibeTribe
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

Today I made the 800 mile mark. Im im Buena Vista Virginia. I am hiking the whole trail right but will be getting off the go to Vibes. Thanks for all the encouragment guys.

#16 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

Posted Image

#17 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

i wouldn't ever try to rob a thru-hiker. You HAVE to be a little screwy to want to hike the AT....great story

#18 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Big Props to you Billy Jack. I've always wanted to hike the trail. I've done over 200miles through week stints but never the full thing. I was actually going to do it after college but Phish came back. So I went cross country for a month and half and then did a whole summer phish tour. Which was an experience I will never forget.

#19 mayfly

mayfly
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

i wouldn't ever try to rob a thru-hiker. You HAVE to be a little screwy to want to hike the AT....great story

Besides thru hikers don't have any valuables in the woods, just food and clothing...

I hiked in 1995, the Unaka Mountain area was majikal as I remember it back then. Lots of folks were getting off the trail to catch Jerry and the boys but I stayed true to my hike thinking there would always be next year for a dead tour.... :(

Still the most life changing experience to date except for my daughter a year after I finished.

Just remember rule #1 of long distance hiking brother - "You have nowhere to go, and all day to get there...."

Enjoy

mayfly
GA-ME 1995
president of the '95 Fourteen State Streakers
:beard:

#20 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • Validating
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Great post Heady.....wow!!

#21 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:26 AM

Here's the actual story link:

http://www.johnsonci...e.php?id=100221

GOOD LUCK, GODSPEED. If you need gear support send me a PM, I get some smoking deals and could ship something your way to support your hike should you need the help.