Photo
- - - - -

if you could have .3 of a craftingroom.....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

I am getting a new place soon and there is an extra bedroom - we are going to multi-purpose it big time..... guestbed room, office, study/den and I would like at least a little crafting area.....

if you have/ had room what would you want / need for your crafting corner?
storage? functionality etc

ps my main crafts are sewing (I have a machine), beading and knitting

#2 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

I saw the CUTEST bookcase on sale at Ikea. It was black & white and kind of weird looking, but it was only $30! It was nice and tall, and the shelves were pretty large. When we go back in a few weeks, I think I'm going to get it and keep it at my parent's house until we have the room to put it up. I told Rich that when we get a new house, that is going in my craft room. :) I would stack my yarn in it, and buy some baskets to put some projects in them. I can't WAIT to have my very own craft room with my knitting, beading, drawing, painting, etc. supplies! :bliss:

Right now I just take up half the closets and garage with my totes of stuff. :lol:

#3 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

I'm a stitcher, so I would need a table first and foremost. It would need to be large enough for me to use my machine and serger, but if space allowed, I would also love to be able to have room to cut and pattern as well. Ultimately, I would want 2 surfaces, one for stitching and one for cutting. The cutting table would be padded and then covered with vinyl/pleather--makes a really great surface for working--

I would want to have an area to set up a really good iron, my dress form and supplies. I'd love to have a mounted area for my threads (regular and serger size)-- maybe a shelf for fabrics and notions--

and of course a stereo/tv or whatnot for entertainment while I am all alone in my room..

I really want this room now--

For your little corner, definitely a table. If you don't have tons of room, convert an old desk into your table, use the drawers for notions and supplies. beyond your standard chair for sitting at your machine, maybe get a nice comfy one as well for knitting or beading projects that do not require you to be at a table.. Use colors that inspire you to create. Hang some fun artwork or pictures on the wall, or if that isn't possible, maybe use a corkboard to have ideas, motivation, etc.. to look at..

:heart: good luck!!

#4 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

haha.
we live in a 3 bedroom house- that last bedroom was supposed to be the spare room/sewing room- but forget that- its a disaster rightnow because it has become the dumping ground for when other rooms are getting cleaned- its full of toys right now. and fabric- im an incurable fabric addict.
when i get it organized- i'll def. make my space more efficient.
what i found helped when the room was organized::
a large garbage can
small shop vac
those free standing shelf units
a large table for cutting/sewing (i have one large table for cutting- and a small school desk(big people sized) for sewing. check on freecycle for a sewing table- those rock.
- PEGBOARD!!! havent installed any yet- but my mom had a tiny sewing room and she hung everything she could up on pegboard- scissors, tools, etc.
-and lastly- i got one of those big units with the little slide out compartments at costco::
AWESOME- this one is small- mine is about 5' tall - it keeps track of all the little stuff so well- and you accumulate lots if you are a die hard crafter.
Posted Image

if the room has a closet- ive heard of folks actually keeping the sewing table there- and sewing with the doors open-and keeping shelving over it to keep stuff in- that way you can close the door when it needs to be a bedroom.

anyhow- heres an article that might help :
http://www.lifescrip...ewing_Room.aspx

#5 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

if the room has a closet- ive heard of folks actually keeping the sewing table there- and sewing with the doors open-and keeping shelving over it to keep stuff in- that way you can close the door when it needs to be a bedroom.

this is exactly the plan!!! there are 2 closets - one is his for his clothes as I took up the entire closet in the bedroom but the other is also a good size (at least 4 x 4) and has 4 shelves. I think I can stick my sewing table in there and just pull the table out when I want to sit at it (there isn't a door on it but I will make curtains or something)

#6 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

where you moving?!?!?!?

#7 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

still in JC about .5 miles from my old place....still walking distance to the PATH and all my downtown favorites!

unfortunately cause of work I couldn't move far but we LOVE this place... our first night there was sunday (he still has a few things to move.... and we don't have cable yet though so his official move in is saturday)

#8 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,787 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:52 PM

Congrats on the shack-up! That's awesome. :grin: :heart:
And, of course, a table. :) Those things with all the drawers are really cool. I'm more a fan of the stackable tackle box-style craft supplies holders, 'cause if they fall, they don't spill, but you may not be as likely have things knocked over by cats or your own talents as I am. :blush: :lol: