Photo

Need Opinion -- What Would Boardies Do (WWBD) ??

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,884 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

On April 1st a new roommate moved into one of the four bedrooms in our apartment. After he was moved in, some things were learned that made some of the initial three roommates uncomfortable living with the new person. After some discussions and other things...us three initial roommates offered the new guy some cash if he would agree to get out by the first of May. He agreed, took the cash offered, and signed a document drawn up by a lawyer saying he agreed to vacate and that all of us release the others from any and all liability. (ie: We own him nothing and he owes us nothing.)

Since he was leaving on short notice, he didn't have time to move his bed out of the apartment. I verbally said that he could keep it there until the weekend. I asked him to tell me a firm date when he would have it out. He said he'd move it on Saturday May 5th and "by Sunday at the latest." I sent texts, emails, and left voice-mails a number of times on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday asking if he was coming to get the bed so that one of us could be there to let him in (he had returned his keys.) He did not reply at all.

On Monday the 7th, a new roommate moved in to take his room. I had to move his bed out of his old room. I made space for it in my already cramped room. I posted the bed for-sale on Craig's List. I'm hoping to recoup some of the money I had to pay to get him out and for the lawyer to draw up documents. There is a person coming today to look at the bed.

But, of course, today I get an email from the ex-roommate, "I am sorry, I have been very sick and haven't worked or been able to get out. I will check on this and get back to you ASAP." Do I just say, "Sorry. Too Late." Or, since we were the ones asking him to leave and since he may have been sick, do I give him another chance to get his bed?

#2 Eddie Z

Eddie Z
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

give him his bed back.

#3 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

give him until this Sunday to get it out.

#4 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,789 posts

Give him a chance. Tell him you need it gone by Sat @ noon, else it's going on the curb.

#5 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,503 posts

You called him several times.

He could have shown the common courtesy of calling you back. Being "sick" isn't an excuse for that except for extreme illness.

I'd be honest. I'd say there's someone coming to look at purchasing the bed today and if he wants to keep the bed, he better arrive before the potential buyer does.

#6 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,503 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

ok

Looks like I'm the dick in the thread. :lol:

It just sounds to me like Jaba made a very reasonable effort and his ex-roommate is a bit of a deadbeat he probably needs a firm ultimatum to get motivated. He already was given one ultimatum. What's to say he doesn't blow off a second one?

#7 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

if it were me i'd reply, "sorry man, i already sold it. had to get it out before the new roomate moved in & i contacted you numerous times w/ no response so i figured you ditched it".
if you give him another chance, he may just end up screwing you again. get whatever money you can for it & forget it. he couldn't return a text? i find that a little ridiculous.

#8 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 32,819 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Is he a pederast or something?

#9 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,836 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

At this point you might as well give him until the end of the week. Tell him you have someone that's going to take it Sunday and if he wants it he should get it by Saturday

#10 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

ok Looks like I'm the dick in the thread. :lol: It just sounds to me like Jaba made a very reasonable effort and his ex-roommate is a bit of a deadbeat he probably needs a firm ultimatum to get motivated. He already was given one ultimatum. What's to say he doesn't blow off a second one?

it looks like i may be the bigger dick here :rolling:

& i agree

#11 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

sounds like it's a good thing that the only problem remaining is a bed... I wonder what he's sleeping on.... but anyway I'd say at most give him one more chance, and let him know that you have to get rid of it if he doesn't send someone to get it or get it himself :)

#12 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

I'd give it back. I would tell him him he has x amount of time to pick it up or it's being sold.

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,014 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

If the guy has been sick and unable to leave, to me, that indicates he doesn't need the bed. No returned calls, broken oral contract. I would probably work it the same way brahhnold DHS said. Tell him a buyer is coming to look at it and he has between now and then to retreive it or it's history.

Seems more than reasonable. Even for a libertarian like me. :lol:

#14 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

I had a situation somewhat similar where an expected roommate moved a bunch of stuff in, then never showed up to live there. Tried contacting the person for a month. Kept her stuff for two months, then sold what I could to pay for the rent she never paid, and threw away the rest.

She then showed up at my door five months after looking for her stuff. I tried not to laugh in her face....

Anyway, this person has made a valid attempt to contact you, and five days is not really a reasonable time to not give the persons stuff back...

#15 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 17,373 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'd give it back. I would tell him him he has x amount of time to pick it up or it's being sold.

This

#16 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,262 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'd give him until Saturday and sell it on Sunday as planned if he blows you off again. ...Or you could sell it to him for the price you're asking on CL. :thup: :lol:

#17 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

it looks like i may be the bigger dick here :rolling: & i agree

JenJen is also huge. Seen #1s (thanks nikkiblue). I would also run balls deep through that shit all day
:funny1:

#18 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,884 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

One other data-point: Once he decided to take the cash and split, he asked if I knew of anyone that would want to buy the bed -- said he would take $300 for it. That leads me to believe he doesn't need it to sleep on.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting that their is a mix -- same mix that is in my head.

#19 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,587 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Light the bed on fire as he is driving down the street to pick it up

#20 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Tell him that it's ok he left it there so long, since it meant that your girlfriend didn't have to give birth in your bed the other night.
And that he can come pick it up any time.

#21 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,596 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

1. Sell the bed.
2. Give the ex-roomie a bag of poo.
3. Profit!

#22 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

JenJen is also huge. Seen #1s (thanks nikkiblue). I would also run balls deep through that shit all day :funny1:

:naughty:

:lol:

#23 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Light the bed on fire as he is driving down the street to pick it up

#24 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Not sure what he means by "I'll check on this"? I would ask for a firm date that he'll pick up and let him know that if it's not by Saturday at 5pm or so, that you'll be getting rid of it.

#25 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,475 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

i don't know what he did in the past to make him an unsuitable roommate (not curious either - it's none of my business) but to avoid any unpleasantness i would give him 'til the weekend to get it out with the caveat that you will sell it if it's not gone on Saturday by a certain time.

i'd be tempted to sell it back to him for the price it cost you to get him out...but it seems like that was money well spent, so personally i'd forgo that and just be glad he's out of the picture completely. it's best to avoid making enemies when you can, IMO.

#26 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,596 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

TIOTCOM

:clapping:

#27 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

keep the frame, ditch the mattress.

there's a lot of unknowns here like the size and value of the bed as well as the reason you booted him off the island.

Did you kick him out because he shoots dope? Does he have AIDS? If it's any of those than I'm sure he's sick.

Do you suspect him of stealing? Did he steal your girlfriend? I don't know... lots of factors.

#28 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

TIOTCOM

Ok...that made me :lol:

#29 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

TIOTCOM

What does that mean?

#30 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

it's an Irish thing, when in doubt, off the cliffs

#31 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,596 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

Throw It Over The Cliffs Of Moher

I didn't know either. Thanks for the visual clues :)

#33 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

it's an Irish thing, when in doubt, off the cliffs

But first have a Guiness at the visitors center and a little chat one of the volunteer counselors.

#34 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,344 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Ah! Thanks for the explanation ;)

#35 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,858 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

You called him several times. He could have shown the common courtesy of calling you back. Being "sick" isn't an excuse for that except for extreme illness.

Seriously!! He could have had someone call on his behalf if he was too sick to pick up his phone to call or text you back!

#36 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,262 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

#37 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

heheh, you know my answer. "You've caused me enough trouble already, get here and get the bed before I dispose of it and it's yours. Period."

#38 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,200 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

SIIHB

#39 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

SIIHB

when in doubt...

#40 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

SIIHB

okayyyy, well i only wanted to post "snap its fucking head off"! :lol:

#41 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

blech. a used bed is one thing i would never ever want to buy. id rather (and have) sleep on the floor than a used bed off CL.

that said i think id need to know more about the original problem to say... if he really was causing a problem like he lied about the fact that he is a die hard racist, sexist and homeophobe and thats why you wanted him out... something like that then screw him. but if it was bc you and your roomies decided you didnt like to hear him singing operettas or something then i say give the poor bastard his bed back.

#42 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,938 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

More importantly, what ever happened to your old housemate Jess? :julius:

#43 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,419 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'd give him his bed.

#44 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

who buys a used mattress. BEDBUGS!!!!!

give him back the damn bed, jesus...

#45 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think you're legally obligated to wait 30 days before you consider his stuff "abandoned"

#46 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

so what'd the dude do for the 3 of you to kick him out? Or is the real story you found someone cooler to move in?

#47 Creekie

Creekie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Seriously, who's too *sick* to quickly send a text asking for a bit more time, because they are *sick?*
I mean, even after throwing up or whatever, your fingers will still work.
You tried to give him ample notice. He finally did respond, but really, grow up.
I'd tell him, OK, I'm keeping it until _ date, then it's out.

Really. Some people need to get it together. It's not like he left behind a few shirts, this is a big piece of furniture...he just can't think someone's going t keep it laying around for him.

#48 fit4lyf

fit4lyf
  • VibeTribe
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Would Definately give the bed back, however give a time limit for pick up so both sides are on the same page.