Soft Paws

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

Rich and I were thinking of trying these out on our new kitty, Oreo. He has sharp little claws, and sometimes we catch him trying to scratch on the corners of the walls. We just bought new furniture, so we don't really want him going crazy on that anytime soon. We read a bunch of reviews about them, and most people like them. Anybody ever try them? I'm a little afraid of having to trim his nails and then attempt to put them on. He's kind of squirmy and his little claws are SHARP! :ravn:

#2 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

Posted Image

You bet your bippy we are going to get blue to match his collar! :lol:

I have a feeling our other cat, Henri, is going to laugh at him on the inside. She is a good girl and doesn't scratch. :lol:

#3 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

My friend had some for her kitty, but I don't remember if she did it herself or went to her vet to have them put on.

Maybe do one nail at a time? My sister clips her cat's nails when they get too sharp and she does it very slowly, one at a time when Phoebe is in an evil mood (phoebe is the cat, not my sister! and phoebe is an evil cat.. I normally love all cats, but she has me questioning my rule)

meow!

#4 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

how do they stay on? cats chew and pull on their nails pretty hard when they're ready to shed a layer off them and they go right to town when they do that. i don't even like hearing it! :lol:

do the nails still grow and shed normally? :huh:

#5 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

I believe they do-- I think they fall off as the nail grows, but never having used them myself, I am not 100%.

#6 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

A few people I work with have tried them and said we are better off declawing him. We don't want to do that. :(

#7 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

can you get him one of those cardboard things? they say kitties like those things. my cats were always outside cats, so we didn't have alot of scratching issues inside--they just went outside and shredded the side of our deck!

#8 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

We have one, but our other cat, Henrietta, uses it. Maybe we should get Oreo his own. Maybe it's something with her scent on it or something.

#9 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

hmm.. could be.. plus, she might be the alpha kitty, so maybe he knows to leave it alone--

#10 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

declawing a cat is very cruel and often leads to emotional distress and problems using the litter box. because cats like to bury their waste and their paws hurt like hell after being declawed, they associate pain with the litter box and/or burying their waste.

please do not do it...use double sided tape on your furniture and find techniques to train them not to scratch. :)

#11 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

Oh don't worry, Handy, we'd never declaw him. I think it's cruel myself! For now we're going to keep up with the yelling of NO! and clapping our hands really loud. We might just get out the spray bottle again. :lol:

(((wet mad kitty))) :ravn:

And Wabbit...we think that Oreo is trying to be the alpha-cat. Our other cat (the Princess of the house...the first cat) will go up to him to sniff him, and he bats at her, so she hisses at him and runs away. He's kinda rude to the dogs, too, if they walk by, he paws at them. We're not sure what his deal is. He's a big sweetie, but he has a major attitude. :lol:

#12 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

how old is oreo?
if he's a kitten you can probably get him used to having his nails clipped if you do it on a regular basis.
Finch will let me do it (sometimes) while she's on my lap. I can't get all of them at once but I can usually get them all within a few days. Lately I have caught her trying to scratch the speakers :( but she'll stop if we yell at her. Usually she uses her carpeted cat perch. The side of it is in ribbons, and it's only a couple of months old.
Atticus, on the other hand, is such a terror when it comes to his nails that he even has a reputation about it at the vet's. :lol: He is really good and doesn't scratch anything but his cardboard scratcher.

#13 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

Oreo is about 9 months old. He's a fiesty little shit. :lol: I think when he goes to the vet in a few months we'll have them attempt to do it. :funny1:

#14 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

Posted Image

You bet your bippy we are going to get blue to match his collar! :lol:

I have a feeling our other cat, Henri, is going to laugh at him on the inside. She is a good girl and doesn't scratch. :lol:

If I had a cat I would put purple ones on.

#15 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

We were thinking of alternating the colors between blue & green if we got them. :funny1: