One for the Chinacat, think green eyes,

#2 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,644 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

they say the moonrise will be awesome...a full flower moon that will be bigger and brighter than ever!
i think i will have a fire...

#3 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

They claimed the same shit last year and in my opinion it was a hoax. I took pictures both the night before and the night of the super moon and they were the same. If you dig up the changes from a regular moon to a super moon it's not something that anyone will notice. All that time setting up my camera gear and expecting a moon twice the size that would turn night into day was down right depressing....don't suffer like I did...stay inside and be safe.....

#4 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,526 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

http://www.farmersal...ek-a-supermoon/

This Saturday night, the largest full moon of the year will appear. This week’s full Moon, which takes place on May 5, will be a “SuperMoon,” and should appear quite a bit larger and brighter than a normal full Moon.

Last year, the March SuperMoon got a lot of media attention because it was the largest full Moon in nearly 20 years. This week’s SuperMoon will not be quite as extreme as last year’s, but will come close.

SuperMoons are caused by the shape of the Moon’s orbit, which is not a perfect circle, but an ellipse, or oval, shape. The Moon orbits the Earth once each month, and each month reaches a point farthest from the Earth, called apogee, and closest to the Earth, called perigee.

A SuperMoon occurs when the Moon is at least 90% of the way to its perigee position at the same time it is full or new. An extreme SuperMoon is when a full or new Moon happens at the same time the Moon is close to 100% perigee. May’s full Moon will occur within an hour of the Moon’s perigee.

The reason these two Moon phases are singled out is because each of them means that the Sun, Earth, and Moon are in alignment. When the Moon is full, it sits exactly on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun. When the Moon is new, it sits between the Earth and the Sun. In both cases, the gravitational pull from these two bodies – the Moon and the Sun – combine to create larger than normal tides, called “spring tides,” on Earth. When the Moon is also at perigee at this time, the effect is magnified into what is called a “proxigean spring tide.”

Of course, a new Moon at perigee isn’t very exciting to look at – because the new Moon does not reflect the Sun’s light, it is invisible – so full SuperMoons get much more attention than new SuperMoons.

There are actually about four or five SuperMoon events each year, only about half of which are full SuperMoons. Extreme SuperMoons are more rare and occur at varying intervals ranging from as little as a year to 20 years or more.

The Moon won’t be as big and bright as this week’s Moon for another two years – August 10, 2014, to be exact – so be sure to get outside this weekend and enjoy it!

#5 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

I heard on the news this morning 13% bigger. Catch it at rise like tyedyedee says for the illusory bonus. I'm looking forward to it, hopefully no clouds!

#6 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,981 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Neat. It looked good last night.

#7 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Any chance we'll see it tonight (moon rise time?)

#8 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,644 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

i am kinda bummed
mostly cloudy here
still gonna give it a peek and make sure...
*sigh*

#9 Phinnegan

Phinnegan
  • VibeTribe
  • 265 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, NJ

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

It's 7:46pm for NYC....

Please adjust your moonbeam vesicles accordingly....

#10 Phinnegan

Phinnegan
  • VibeTribe
  • 265 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, NJ

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

And don't forget that you want to be watching the moon rise - so be out there at 7:40 at the latest....

#11 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,270 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

"mostly cloudy" argh! :fierce:

#12 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

sun finally just came out here, crossing my fingers it's still clear this evening :)

#13 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Posted Image

OOOOHHHHH It's lovely.

#14 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

Carol my late wife suggested I stop flirting with green eyes, here,s onen for Carol

#15 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

It's out there - all misty, shining thru some light cloud cover.

Last year, we were at the cottage for the Super Moon. We had some enhancements earlier on in the day, and trucked out to a hill above the treeline to catch it. Well, we were 3 hours north of Toronto, in the middle of the forest, and it was winter. I had never seen the moon so bright! Seriously, it shone like it was made of a silvered mirror! And we could catch edges of the spectrum on it's top and bottom - one of the coolest celestial events I have seen with my naked eye.

Catching en event like that out where there is no light pollution = AMAZING!!!

#16 chefjeff

chefjeff
  • VibeTribe
  • 700 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

Heading out to see now with Standing On The Moon in my head. The Sun and Moon makes me realize how small "we are" in this universe.

Makes me think A lot

Im wishing goods Vibes to everyone this year!!!

Cake!

Chefjeff

#17 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,644 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

stupid clouds :sad:

#18 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

moonrise was exceptional, big, orange....

#19 MushroomMan

MushroomMan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

unfortunatley there were nothing but clouds tonight and all that was visable at one point was a little bit of light poking through the clouds

#20 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Cloudy

#21 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,619 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

saw it when it first came up and a few moments before it went down and didn't really notice it for a minute, in between. not sure how i got that timing. :dunno:

#22 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

meh. too cloudy, didnt see a thing!

#23 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Moon big, clouds bigger ... perhaps next time!

#24 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Here's my shot of the Supermoon coming over the Sandia Mountains in Albuquerque. Not even close to how cool it looked at actual moonrise coming over the city, but I was in the car on my way to photograph it coming over the mountains. City shot with it at eye level on the horizon glowing BRIGHT orange would have been incredible. No doubt it was bigger than normal. I heard 30% larger, and I believe it. It was HUGE. When I did get up to the mountains, there was this CRAZY light being omitted just before it rose over the crest of the mountains. It was truly other worldly, I can't even describe this light before the moonrise. It was like a heavenly sweeping vaporglow connecting heaven and earth

Posted Image

Shot with a Canon T2i @ ISO 100, F-16, 1/60 with an 18-55mm lens. Probably needed a 300mm lens for this.

#25 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing Heady

#26 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Mine from Friday night. I wanted to get the NYC skyline in the shot, but got out there too late. Well hopefully another shot at it tonight.
Posted Image
Almost Supermoon by Jeremy.Gordon, on Flickr

#27 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Whoa - that is GORGEOUS, JG. :eek:

Thanks for sharing! :clapping:

#28 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,644 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

thanks for the pics, guys :clapping:

still bummed i missed it :sad:

#29 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Too cloudy here, saw nothing...

#30 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

JG, what kind of lens did you use?? That's awesome

#31 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

JG, what kind of lens did you use?? That's awesome

Shot it at 200mm and cropped the shit out of it. Debating about running over to Adorama right now and renting an 80-400...

#32 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Mine from Friday night.  I wanted to get the NYC skyline in the shot, but got out there too late.  Well hopefully another shot at it tonight.
Posted Image
Almost Supermoon by Jeremy.Gordon, on Flickr

That's an amazing shot!! I :heart: the moon. :bliss:

#33 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Cool pics here from all over the world:

http://www.buzzfeed....-from-around-th

It was beautiful from our lawn, but next time there's en event like this I want to get to where I can see it rising.