• LocationDerby CT

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:32 AM

This totally sucks

#2 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,896 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

That's a shame. Dude is a first vote Hall of Famer.

That's not the way you wanna see someone like that leave the game.

#3 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

RESPECT for one of the greats. The guy re-invented the cutter and used it like nobody else.

#4 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,577 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Bummer

#5 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,196 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

:(

#6 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,725 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Poor Mo. :cry:

#7 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Fucking idiot chasing down balls in the outfield. Now to find someone to replace him on my fantasy team :bang:

White people problem #326 :funny1:

#8 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,801 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Farewell Mariano... When it came to closing games there was nobody better than you

#9 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,293 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

That's a bummer. Hate seeing injuries in sports, especially to an all time great.

That said, Yankees = Dunzo :bowl:

#10 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

......this just adds to my week of bad news.....yesterday I went to the wake of the family that died on the Bronx river parkway on sunday...there were three generations in caskets.....just overwhelming....and then my favorite Yankee s career is probably over....

#11 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationNew Rochelle, NY

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Another reason to hate A-Rod?

#12 Strange Mark

Strange Mark
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

No worries, Terrell Suggs says Mariano will be back mid year.

And James: we don't really need another reason, do we?

#13 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,725 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yankees = dunzo coming from a Red Sox fan is funny. :funny1:

#14 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,293 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Oh,

I know it doesn't change the fact that the Red Sox suck this year and will for many due to the idiotic managemenmt of Theo Epstein.

but, that doesn't change the fact that the Yankmees are screwed without Mo.

#15 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

That really sucks. As much as I hated watching us get our asses served to us by him, I really respected him. Hope he makes it back.

#16 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Oh, I know it doesn't change the fact that the Red Sox suck this year and will for many due to the idiotic managemenmt of Theo Epstein. but, that doesn't change the fact that the Yankmees are screwed without Mo.

Soriano saved 40 something games for the Rays in '10 and Robertson is just about unhittable. I beg to differ.

#17 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yeah, just to expand on what I said, in the '09 World Series, the two games when he stepped onto the field, each time I turned to Elayne and said, "Well, we're f*%ked now".... :lol:

#18 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

firstly, what a freak way for it to all end. he should've been carried off the field by his teammates, following a save...not like this. so terrible. i highly doubt he returns, as he'd hinted this was the end anyway. Robertson will take over in the 9th, and that's that.

secondly, this DOES hurt the Yanks. now, instead of having a dominant 8-9 combo, you've got your 8th inning guy taking over the 9th. he'll do a fine job, but he's NOT Mariano (no one is), and you've got to move your 7th inning guy (Soriano in this case) to the 8th, and now create a new committee for the 7th...so yes, you're significantly weaker now than you were yesterday morning. you don't lose Mariano Rivera and say "we're just as strong" or "we'll be fine" because there will be times this season when you'll say "shit, if Mariano was here..."

kudos to him on a fantastic career. i wish he'd spent it 6 miles to the southeast of Yankee Stadium, but that just tells you what a player and person he is. an all-time great, a class act.

#19 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Sucks for Mo fo' sho.

But the Yanks will be fine.

#20 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

That really sucks. As much as I hated watching us get our asses served to us by him, I really respected him. Hope he makes it back.

Yeah, just to expand on what I said, in the '09 World Series, the two games when he stepped onto the field, each time I turned to Elayne and said, "Well, we're f*%ked now".... :lol:

what he said.

#21 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

firstly, what a freak way for it to all end. he should've been carried off the field by his teammates, following a save...not like this. so terrible. i highly doubt he returns, as he'd hinted this was the end anyway. Robertson will take over in the 9th, and that's that. secondly, this DOES hurt the Yanks. now, instead of having a dominant 8-9 combo, you've got your 8th inning guy taking over the 9th. he'll do a fine job, but he's NOT Mariano (no one is), and you've got to move your 7th inning guy (Soriano in this case) to the 8th, and now create a new committee for the 7th...so yes, you're significantly weaker now than you were yesterday morning. you don't lose Mariano Rivera and say "we're just as strong" or "we'll be fine" because there will be times this season when you'll say "shit, if Mariano was here..." kudos to him on a fantastic career. i wish he'd spent it 6 miles to the southeast of Yankee Stadium, but that just tells you what a player and person he is. an all-time great, a class act.

Of course the Yanks are better with him. No brainer. But they have two guys that can preform well in that role. How many teams can say that? So overall I disagee with what you said.

#22 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

And he will be back. He is too proud of guy to go out like that.

#23 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Of course the Yanks are better with him. No brainer. But they have two guys that can preform well in that role. How many teams can say that? So overall I disagee with what you said.

how can anyone...and i mean anyone with half a brain for baseball...say that losing the greatest closer in the history of the game does anything other than HURT HIS TEAM?????? i didn't say "they're screwed" or "they'll never win", i said that this hurts the Yanks and they're significantly weaker without him. unless you have his clone ready to take his place, so that you don't need to move Robertson and Soriano, you're fielding a weaker team by removing the strongest closer in the history of the game from your lineup card. there's no denying this. that's like Wayne Gretzky leaving Edmonton for Los Angeles, and saying "oh, we'll be fine, we have Mark Messier". sure, you'll be okay, but you're still fielding a weaker team with the loss of the best.

#24 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,957 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

I hope he's able to come back and pitch some more, but if not, I tip my hat to the best there was.

I'm glad I took Noah to a Yankees game last year so he had a chance to see Mo close a game.

#25 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

how can anyone...and i mean anyone with half a brain for baseball...say that losing the greatest closer in the history of the game does anything other than HURT HIS TEAM?????? i didn't say "they're screwed" or "they'll never win", i said that this hurts the Yanks and they're significantly weaker without him. unless you have his clone ready to take his place, so that you don't need to move Robertson and Soriano, you're fielding a weaker team by removing the strongest closer in the history of the game from your lineup card. there's no denying this. that's like Wayne Gretzky leaving Edmonton for Los Angeles, and saying "oh, we'll be fine, we have Mark Messier". sure, you'll be okay, but you're still fielding a weaker team with the loss of the best.

Well...insulting my baseball intellect aside...As I said before, weaker yes. Significantly? I wouldn't go that far. Ideally you want Soriano and Robertson to stay in their current roles and Mo to be Mo. The bullpen is a strong suit for the Yankees right now. There are capable people to step in and get it done. No one is Mo. That's obvious. And your right that there will be times where I will say "Damn, I wish we had Mo". I think that overall the Yanks will weather a loss like this better than most other teams. That's all.

#26 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,896 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

I hope he's able to come back and pitch some more, but if not, I tip my hat to the best there was. I'm glad I took Noah to a Yankees game last year so he had a chance to see Mo close a game.

I went with my brothers and nephews (idiot Yanq fans) and saw him yield a home run. I think it was a 2 run homer. He still got the save

#27 Strange Mark

Strange Mark
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

As a Sox fan, my favorite memory of Mo was at opening day in 2005 as they raised the banner for the Red Sox world series championship. The crowd gave Mo a huge ovation (thanks for blowing that save in game 4 big fella) and Rivera was laughing his ass off . It really was a great moment, and I think he handled it really well. Class act, hope he finds a way to come back.

#28 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well...insulting my baseball intellect aside...As I said before, weaker yes. Significantly? I wouldn't go that far. Ideally you want Soriano and Robertson to stay in their current roles and Mo to be Mo. The bullpen is a strong suit for the Yankees right now. There are capable people to step in and get it done. No one is Mo. That's obvious. And your right that there will be times where I will say "Damn, I wish we had Mo". I think that overall the Yanks will weather a loss like this better than most other teams. That's all.

so...you...agree? remove the qualifier "significantly" and you're on board with what i'm saying, is what you're saying?

and i didn't insult your baseball intelligence...unless you group yourself with the masses who don't have half a brain for the game :wink:

#29 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

so...you...agree? remove the qualifier "significantly" and you're on board with what i'm saying, is what you're saying? and i didn't insult your baseball intelligence...unless you group yourself with the masses who don't have half a brain for the game :wink:

Losing Mo would make any team weaker. No question there. Essentially we are agreeing but only point is that most teams would be devastated by such a loss. I don't think the Yanks will be. A few bullpen moves for sure but Robertson and Soriano are both ready to step up.

Yeah...I don't lump myself with those people. I was/am one of those dorks who loved/loves studying Baseball stats. Been that way since I was a kid and been a Yanks fan since I took my first breath. Let's just say my favorite candy as a kid were Reggie bars. :bigsmile:

#30 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

As a Sox fan, my favorite memory of Mo was at opening day in 2005 as they raised the banner for the Red Sox world series championship. The crowd gave Mo a huge ovation (thanks for blowing that save in game 4 big fella) and Rivera was laughing his ass off . It really was a great moment, and I think he handled it really well. Class act, hope he finds a way to come back.

Yeah, that was great.

Hate to see a class act guy carried off the field like that.

#31 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

4 out of the 5 AL East teams, now have a closer on the DL (and the fifth was in the hospital with food positioning last week).... weird season...

#32 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,331 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Most of you know I have no love for the Yankees, but as a baseball fan, I've got nothing but respect for Rivera. Amazing athlete and always a class act. It'll be a real shame if this ends his career. :(

#33 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Most of you know I have no love for the Yankees, but as a baseball fan, I've got nothing but respect for Rivera. Amazing athlete and always a class act. It'll be a real shame if this ends his career. :(

This

#34 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

4 out of the 5 AL East teams, now have a closer on the DL (and the fifth was in the hospital with food positioning last week).... weird season...

food positioning! what a terrible affliction! he just picks up his french fries, then puts them back down, in countless permutations...a terrible, terrible thing.

#35 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

And two of them are on my team :cry: feel bad for me?

#36 Jerky

Jerky
  • VibeTribe
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Mo said he is coming back,he's not going out like this!!!!!

#37 Mr Bo Berry

Mr Bo Berry
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationDerby CT

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

If anybody can do it at his age it is Mo. Always has been the best athlete on the team and is a man of his word. I wish him the best.

#38 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,987 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

This .
that was a great moment. The contrast of Mo's class that day, and the lack of class shown by A-Rod.
Nothing but respect for him.