5 replies to this topic

#1 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

http://www.silive.co...e_for_comp.html

Discarded cigarette butts litter the sidewalk near Staten Island's RUMC

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. - The smoke-free campus of Richmond University Medical Center (RUMC) has produced one dirty side-effect, say some residents who live near the complex on Bard Avenue and South St. Austins Place.

Smokers –- hospital employees and visitors alike -– now cross the street, light up, and then carelessly toss cigarette butts anywhere and everywhere, littering sidewalks, curbs, and front yards.

Last week, one man in blue scrubs was pacing up and down the street, in front of the hospital, smoking while shouting into a cell phone. A reporter watched as he finished the cigarette and threw the butt to the ground.

"RUMC strives to maintain a cleanly environment at the hospital and the surrounding area," spokeswoman Paula Caputo told the Advance yesterday. "We routinely maintain the area in front of, and across from, the hospital, and encourage our employees to treat the neighborhood respectfully."

#2 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

you were able to get a reporter out there?

i feel like this battle has been going on for years :lol:

#3 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

no, the paper didn't seem interested when i contacted them, but i only tried 1 time. a few years ago. not sure where this came from, but i'll take it. hard to say if it was cleaner today from them, or just last nights rain storm - washing the butts onto the Jersey Shore and points south.

#4 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Porkuhara :thumbup: :thumbup:

#5 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

baconman's alter :protest: