Zaphod is above drinking out of water dishes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

So I got this cat about six months ago. He won't drink out of his water dish. He'd rather drink from my cups, dripping faucets and most of all, the toilet bowl.

A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't cleaned my toilet in about 6 months, but it's actually quite clean. A lot cleaner than it was before I had a cat.

Suddenly, Zaphod's occasional "poo-poo breath" makes sense.

:burp:

#2 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

:lol:

my cats rarely if ever drank water, and eventually it led to one of them becoming very sick and needing two surgeries. he had kidney stones and a blockage of crystals in his urinary tract...what a mess. a friend had a similar issue with her boy cat and it took three surgeries to finally reverse the damage...and he went from being Oliver to Olive in the process :eek:

among the changes i made after Frodo's illness (he made a full recovery, thank goodness) was buying a water fountain for the cats. i have seen super expensive ones everywhere, but the one i bought came from Homegoods and cost about $20. and they LOVE it. i went from never, ever seeing them drink water to watching them lap it up all the time.

i know you started this thread to talk about Zaphod's poo breath ( :lol: ) but if by chance you're looking for a solution that doesn't include toilet bowls or your own water glass, maybe start keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced cat water fountain? the one i bought is made by Animal Planet (or at least, they licensed the AP name) and i've seen it online for about $25.

#3 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Oh no! I would feel awful if he got kidney stones. I will definitely look into a water fountain. Probably pick one up this Friday. Thanks for the tip!

I'm a little worried though that I'll have to start cleaning my toilet again :undecided:

#4 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

i got a fountain for Tiger because he likes his water to move when he drinks it, even if that means he has to continually stick a paw in the water dish. :) they all like the fountain though.

#5 Rayzeeday

Rayzeeday
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Both our cats and our dog will drink from the bowl if allowed. Two things I find have helped curb this habit: Close the bathroom door>put the lid down. Most pets get sick or hurt due to our laziness not theirs. The fountains cost about $35-$45 dollars and are invaluable. Sometimes its not as much laziness as it is wanting to give them as much freedom as possible, I find I have to remind myself (mostly with the help of Amy) to take charge and not let the pets take charge! :beard:

#6 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

our cats aren't interested in the toilet for some reason. they do love running water though, especially Atticus. he also loves to drink out of my water glass. Finch just knocks it over and watches the water run. :lol:

#7 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Sammy loves watching while i flush, but luckily he doesn't try to stick his head in, he just watches it swirl 'round and 'round :lol:

i was sure they'd be more afraid of a water fountain than anything and never go near it so i waited til i found one at a really, really low price. but i was so happy when they turned out to love it!

#8 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,439 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

3 out of 4 of my cats love the fountain.

tiger gets a pint glass on the floor :lol: he won't drink unless his head is all the way inside. i can't even fill it all the way up, i have to leave room for him to actually stick his head in it :funny1:

#9 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,669 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

that's hysterical! :lol: we need a picture of that. :lol:

i've had cats who would do that for milk, but not for water.