• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

So preamble to the story
I had an ex girlfriend from NH a boardie i met at vibes that moved to rochester about 8 years ago and we lived together for oh 3 years or so ... we broke up and she got a job working with Xerox at the University Of Rochesters print center.
Three years ago I lost my job at Xerox and was unemployed for about 2 years ... I finally came into a contract Job at the UofR that was a terrible help desk job working unreal shifts and took the first day job i could find and a big paycut in the process (mostly to spend time with a new girl i had met because shift work was killing me)... well that job was at the UofR print center
I knew my ex worked here but she didnt know i was the "new guy" till our first morning meeting
LOL she was surprised and warned everyone they were in for it ( the processes here are messed up and she couldnt get them to change and she knew how i worked and my knowledge of the print industry )
So fast forward 10 months and She left on maternity leave (she married a friend of mine and had a kid) but never came back just resigned ... since then they replaced her but this new girl is now leaving too .... So nowwww
they officially offered me her old Job doing Graphic Design and Prepress.

Kinda ironic ya think?

#2 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

That's awesome! Congrats right? Did you take the job?

#3 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,245 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

ummmmm, congratulations :dunno:

#4 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,881 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

It's something, and congrats

#5 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Printing is a dirty buisness..............go for it.

#6 FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

yeah im taking the job but theres gonna be alotta changes LMAO ... pay still sucks and its contract so i pay for benefits no 401k matching etc.
im hoping to squeeze two more bucks an hour out of them
we shall see fingers crossed

#7 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

It's something, and congrats

yes, this.

congrats. :lol:

#8 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,606 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Congrats FT! :clapping:

I used to work in printing (conventional and digital) until I got laid off 3+ years ago.
SO glad to be out of that dirty biz.

#9 FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

yeah its what my resume is filled with help desk and digital print so ill take what i can get till i decide to go back to school eventually and make a decision on what i wanna be when i grow up ;-)

#10 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,136 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

OMG.. that's a great story! :lol:

Congrats on the new gig. :)

#11 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Much ironing!

Congrats! :)

#12 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,606 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Those Xerox iGen machines are pretty bad ass. :Phishfolk:

#13 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,816 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

Those Xerox iGen machines are pretty bad ass. :Phishfolk:

I saw the print mail center of a large financial company I worked at and they had a $3 million HP color laser high-speed high-volume printer, I think they did a test printing of 150 account statements and it only took a few seconds... it was incredible

#14 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,606 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

They ARE pretty damn cool the first few times you see them in action.
Then you have to deal with their persnicketyness. :rolleyes:

#15 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,816 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

yeah the guys that managed that part of the floor said they spent most of their time trying to figure out how to keep the machines running... checking ports and sensors and all kinds of stuff... fixing alignment problems, fun stuff like that... I imagine it would probably make me insane :lol:

#16 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

So preamble to the story I had an ex girlfriend from NH a boardie i met at vibes that moved to rochester about 8 years ago and we lived together for oh 3 years or so ... we broke up and she got a job working with Xerox at the University Of Rochesters print center. Three years ago I lost my job at Xerox and was unemployed for about 2 years ... I finally came into a contract Job at the UofR that was a terrible help desk job working unreal shifts and took the first day job i could find and a big paycut in the process (mostly to spend time with a new girl i had met because shift work was killing me)... well that job was at the UofR print center I knew my ex worked here but she didnt know i was the "new guy" till our first morning meeting LOL she was surprised and warned everyone they were in for it ( the processes here are messed up and she couldnt get them to change and she knew how i worked and my knowledge of the print industry ) So fast forward 10 months and She left on maternity leave (she married a friend of mine and had a kid) but never came back just resigned ... since then they replaced her but this new girl is now leaving too .... So nowwww they officially offered me her old Job doing Graphic Design and Prepress. Kinda ironic ya think?

Dayum, who DON'T you got to know to get a job there? :blink:

Grats :pttigui:

#17 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Neat. Congrats on the new job.
My daughter wants to go to school at U. of R. She has no concept of debt. If she does go there, she will. I think they can afford to give you the $2. :)