• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

I've been hearing so much about quinoa. Everyone seems to be making it these days. What is it? How do you prepare it? Inquiring minds wanna know :D

#2 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

it's an ancient grain that is also a complete protein.

It's similar to cous cous in texture IMO...It's pretty neutral in flavor

I use a rice cooker to make mine and it's awesome..want some easy recipes?

#3 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:56 AM

Thanks Erin. I would LOVE some recipes :)

#4 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,745 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

We just sautee garlic in oil and then add that to the red Q. with salt and pepper. Good stuff.

#5 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Just sprouted some and tossed it in tabouli instead of bulgur- really yummy.

#6 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

It's yummy!

Good idea to rinse it before cooking, some of it can taste "soapy" due to natural saponins in the grain.

Red and white cook the same way, colour doesn't make a difference.

It is a complete protein, cooks up fast, and has great texture. Can be used in place of couscous.

Makes great cold salads! Also really amazing as a sweet breakfast cereal - I like to make some up and mix it with chopped dates, coconut, walnuts, maple syrup and cinnamon in the winter months. Soooooooo good!

#7 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

i soak it overnight, or throughout the day. 8 hours minimum. then make it like basmati - boil, cover, simmer for 20 mins.

soaking makes it more digestible.

i just put a little butter in the quinoa then top it with a mess 'o steamed veggies. i think it goes extremely well with steamed chard :thup:

drool.

#8 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. It wasn't till recently that I could pronounce it right :D

#9 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

You're probably going to cook it,but tonight I added the sprouted quinoa to a bangin' guac I made to dip veggies. It was really good, I also rolled it up in little baby bok choy leaves with a slice of tomato.

#10 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:38 AM

There's a really great quinoa bean salad recipe onthewhole foods website, check it out. I add a few more veggies- grated carrots, chopped cukes, onion...it's really light and refreshing in the summer.musicmomma turned me on to it.

#11 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

this cafe up the road makes a bunch of dishes with it... my favorites are like chinese fried rice.. they just use the quinoa instead.

I've never tried cooking it myself... I should. :beer:

#12 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Actually not a grain at all, but the seed of a plant that is most closely related to the spinach, beet and chard family.

Much better for you than any grain.

#13 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Actually not a grain at all, but the seed of a plant that is most closely related to the spinach, beet and chard family.

Much better for you than any grain.

and it is kosher for Passover.

#14 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

this recipe is DELICIOUS. i subbed veg stock for chicken stock to make it veggie.

http://iowagirleats....i-fried-quinoa/

#15 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

:thumbsup:
I second the above recipe!

#16 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,071 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

this recipe is DELICIOUS. i subbed veg stock for chicken stock to make it veggie.

http://iowagirleats....i-fried-quinoa/

:thup:

#17 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

I'm growing quinoa. Apparently it's almost ready to harvest, but it doesn't look anything like the stuff I'm used to. Interesting...

#18 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

:thumbsup:
I second the above recipe!

actually, you first-ed it...thanks for the bangin' meal and for sharing the recipe afterward, Jessica! :heart: :)

here's another great one from Wholefoods Market. this is the one Erisisme has made a bunch of times. quinoa with lemon and zucchini. it's so yummy! http://www.wholefood...om/recipes/2525

and this week (inspired by that recipe and the stuff i had in my fridge) i made a cold quinoa salad with cucumber, dill, lots of lemon and lemon zest and crumbled feta. i think this one is my favorite yet!

#19 Again and Again

Again and Again
  • VibeTribe
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

We eat ours either cooked in vegetable broth, or sautéed with onions and garlic and mixed with black brand and corn kernels. Yummy!

#20 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

and this week (inspired by that recipe and the stuff i had in my fridge) i made a cold quinoa salad with cucumber, dill, lots of lemon and lemon zest and crumbled feta. i think this one is my favorite yet!

updated to add: i like it even more without the feta, and highly recommend this to anyone wanting to try quinoa for the first time. so yummy!

#21 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

I sprouted quinoa when I was doing a raw food detox- sprinkled it on salads and in veggie rollups- mixed into tabouli...definitely tastes like sprouts so treat it as such. I never felt so earthy crunchy as when I sprouted quinoa. :lol:

#22 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,993 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I don't care for the taste but I have made it and added chunks of fresh pineapple. pretty yummy (and simple)

here are some links http://www.fitnessma...quinoa-recipes/

http://allrecipes.co...-grains/quinoa/

http://www.cookingli...00412000073996/

#23 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,316 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

We also had in the the form of black bean and quinoa cakes topped with guac last weekend. Hope I can find a recipe which matches what we had, because it was GOOD.

#24 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

I'm going to experiment and make quinoa breakfast bars with dried fruits and nuts. I have a really hard time getting a good breakfast in the morning and end up eating my lunch by 10 am to avoid grabbing a stupid sugary carby muffin or donut. A bar and a piece of fruit should be better.

#25 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

the hot breakfast cereal i discovered recently is maybe my favorite breakfast ever. it's a mix of whole rolled oats, quinoa and amaranth with raw almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds and flax with dried cranberries or raisins...delicious and really really good for you. 1 gram or less of sugar, no preservatives or additives of any kind, and totally yummy. i add cinnamon to mine, but you can add whatever you like. extra dried or fresh fruit, honey, maple syrup, etc.

the package instructions say to cook it for 5 minutes, but i find that if i boil water in my tea kettle and add that to the bowl of cereal mix and stir for a minute or so, it's perfect.

ooh...just looked it up and they make bars, too. the brand is Earnest Eats and i find them at Home Goods.

http://earnesteats.c...s/hotcereal.php