Tips for a first time dog owner?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

After months of talking about doing it, me and my fiance went to a shelter on friday, met the sweetest 5 year old beagle/basset hound mix (a bagel!), and put in an application for adoption! We find out tomorrow or Tuesday if we can take him home.

So any tips for me? I've never owned a dog before. I have 3 cats, and have been reading up on stuff about how to teach commands to dogs, the right way to take dogs on walks, and how to introduce dogs to cats.

We are going to crate him when we leave the house for the first few months so we can keep him from eating our kitties when we are both out of the house (and hopefully they will get used to each other really quickly so we can just leave him out). We are also sectioning off part of a room for the litter boxes, so that the cats can get to it but the dog cant, and we are going to put the cat food up on the counter, so that the dog won't stuff his face all day long.

Here's some pictures of him: http://www.petfinder...?petid=12630153

He has a bassety face, a smaller body like a beagle, but he's also pretty long, like a basset. He comes up about half way to my knee (when his face is down, which it usually is cause he likes to smell stuff)

Wish me good adoption-going-through vibes! :)

#2 hippiechickme

hippiechickme
  • VibeTribe
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

Oh yay! A new friend in your house. No advice for you but have fun!

#3 lil pixi

lil pixi
  • VibeTribe
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:21 AM

So any tips for me? I've never owned a dog before. I have 3 cats, and have been reading up on stuff about how to teach commands to dogs, the right way to take dogs on walks, and how to introduce dogs to cats.

You got it right so far. The best thing you can do right now is read, read, read any & every books you can on care & training.

My dog failed at so many of these things (Then again was just a young, spunky puppy at the time) & has a diploma up on the wall from obedience school. :lol: What a damn character (Border collie/jack russell terrier)! Esp. teaching that boy to heel on his walks & not pull nutties. :lol:

So much love & fun, though, training a doggy. =)

Let the dog owners know if you have any specific questions.
I don't know where to begin on tips. So many & it has been a while.

And my dog & cat - Inseparable!! :heart: It is very much possible. :wink: They sleep butt to butt every morning. :funny1:

#4 donna4128

donna4128
  • VibeTribe
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

what a handsome boy!! read up on bassets and beagles specifically. i had a basset for 15 years, my best friend lucy....they are a strong minded, stubborn, affectionate, loveable, and they like to wander and get into gross things. they have stomachs of steel and will most likely be ok no matter what they end up eating. they need excercise. lucy was not a typical basset in that she was never overweight. we always left food and water out and she never ate it all. if i could give you any advice at all it would be to set limits from day 1. for example,if you cant let the dog on the furniture everwhere you go, you might not want him on the furniture at home. if you dont want the dog to beg, dont give him table food (and dont let anyone else either). if you dont care if your dog has table food, then serve it from his dish not from the table. its easier to become more lenient later in his senior days than more strict.

#5 wookie luvvah

wookie luvvah
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

What a cutie! Definitely read up on the breeds. I have two beagles and while they are sweeties they are more work that it was raising my children.

#6 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,705 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

I have a basset hound! :) :heart:

Get used to walking around outside for 15 minutes for them to pee. They like to sniff around and hunt! Believe it or not, they are high energy as well. Not always as lazy as they are portrayed to be! Bassets are the best dog! Love them! :heart:

(I will post more later tonight from home! :))

#7 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:31 PM

my parents have had 2 beagles.. I totally agree with wookie luvvah, they are a bit of work, but they are sooo wonderful. My old landlord/massage therapist had a basset who was the sweetest pooch ever.. I can only imagine a mixture of the two will be a blast.

Beagles are HUGE sniffers. This pup will not be an off leash sort of dog-- beagles catch a scent and they are off-- The write up said that he loves to walk, so you should have no worries there, he'll probably be nose to the ground the entire time, so it might be a slow, rambling walk, rather than a power one!

our beagles were couch potatoes, very affectionate.. They thought they were people --large, hairy babies-- Our Millie Grace beagle would ignore us when we left the house because she would miss us so..

When I do get a dog, I would like a beagle or a harrier (http://www.akc.org/breeds/harrier/)

Good luck, I hope he becomes a member of your NEW (yah) family!! :heart:

#8 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

These books helped us tremendously with training and understanding our dog. Since the dog is 5 hopefully it will already know basic commands. I think the most important thing is to understand how to be the pack leader.

• My Smart Puppy - Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. (comes with a dvd)
  • Ceasar's Way - Cesar Millan
  • Be The Pack Leader - Cesar Millan

:cur:

#9 Ms. Sara

Ms. Sara
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

Rooney is ADORABLE! (cute name too, btw :funny1:)

I adopted a basset/lab named Phil who's cuurently 9 mos. old. He's energetic like a lab, but a total love and all around GREAT dog.
Everyone here posted some great advice. Setting limits is so important! (Though admitedly my hubby and I are a little lax which is why we're starting a "family manners class" next week. :funny1:

Sending you many good luck with doggie vibes!

#10 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

Rooney unfortunately was adopted to another family. :( HOwever we had a phone interview today with a basset hound rescue (seriously, it is harder for me to get a dog then to adopt a child it seems) and it went very well, and they have already called the landlord and stuff, so we should find out on tuesday if we are approved and then will move on to picking a basset. :)

We also checked out the SPCA, but like 95% of the dogs were pit bulls, and the other ones all were huge or had health problems...

#11 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

Rooney unfortunately was adopted to another family. :( HOwever we had a phone interview today with a basset hound rescue (seriously, it is harder for me to get a dog then to adopt a child it seems) and it went very well, and they have already called the landlord and stuff, so we should find out on tuesday if we are approved and then will move on to picking a basset. :)

We also checked out the SPCA, but like 95% of the dogs were pit bulls, and the other ones all were huge or had health problems...

We went through the same situation when we decided to adopt a dog. You will end up with the one that was meant to be.

#12 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,705 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

Basset hounds are seriously the best dogs ever!!! :heart:

#13 BrownDoggBrew

BrownDoggBrew
  • VibeTribe
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

I love Basset Hounds. I had one when I was little. I used to play with his ears all the time.

#14 woofnet

woofnet
  • VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

We have 4 of our own and often campers (two right now). MUST LOVE DOGS! I love bulleted lists (and bacon)

• Monks of New Skete dog book
  • Obedience class for you (dog optional)
  • there are no bad dogs, it's always us ... always

.w

#15 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

We have 4 of our own and often campers (two right now). MUST LOVE DOGS! I love bulleted lists (and bacon)

• Monks of New Skete dog book
  • Obedience class for you (dog optional)
  • there are no bad dogs, it's always us ... always

^ this.

also remember...hounds like to pick up a scent and follow it.