23 replies to this topic

#1 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Outrage over cost of unnecessary primary

No doubt, Mitt Romney is happy with the results of yesterday's republican primary here in New York.

But, the extremely low turnout and the extremely high cost of the election have some officials upset.

$25 million, that was the cost to taxpayers statewide. Only about six per cent of eligible republican voters showed up to vote. And we have three more elections this year alone

In Rensselaer County the turnout was just over 6% election inspectors had very little to do

The chairman of the Rensselaer County Legislature said yesterday's primary cost taxpayers $40,000,

The cost in Albany county $200,000 and the cost in Schenectady county $45,000 and there is still two more primaries one in June, the other in September.

This is all because state lawmakers could not agree on a single date for congressional and state races taxpayers will suffer

The inevitability of Romney’s victory, after Rick Santorum’s departure from the race, is what really kept republicans home yesterday but Albany County still had to pay 55 cents for each ballot that went unused and by law each election district had to be staffed with four inspectors that's 1288 inspectors, with each getting $100 for the day

Albany County's democratic elections commissioner said he does agree with those who wish that state lawmakers had been able to put politics aside, and hold just one primary this summer, instead of two more.

Both of the upcoming primaries, in June and then again in September, will cost $25 million each, just as yesterday's did, and all of that cost will be borne by local taxpayers, not by the state lawmakers who were unable to agree.

In 20 election districts no one voted. No one. But in each of those districts, by law, they had to have four election inspectors at $100 for the day.

http://techvalleytal...cessary-primary

#2 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

lawmakers are stubborn & can't seem to get it together so the burden falls on the taxpayers...wow, i am so shocked :lol:

the election inspector thing doesn't bother me only because they can't predict turnout, right? so if a bunch of people did turn out & there weren't enough inspectors, everyone would bitch about there not being enough inspectors.

#3 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

I would hope that eventually we can all do our voting electronically, so there wouldn't be a need for so many inspectors.

But aside from that, I blame the idiot candidates who won't admit their defeat to Mitt Romney. Nice way to waste taxpayer money guys! 6% turnout... whoopdee doo

#4 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

it sounds like voters didn't think there was any point to come out if they believed romney was already so far ahead of the others.

#5 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

So it's the mainstream media's fault again? I should've known.

#6 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

i didn't say anything about the media. wherever people get their information from & whatever they choose to believe influences their actions is all

#7 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

yeah, I have to agree to a certain extent knowing that people are the way they are... lazy and apathetic.

I don't think any of the Ron Paul supporters would do this though. Have you talked to any lately? They still think he has a shot at it.

#8 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

depends :lol:

#9 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I say let's make this the lowest presidential election voter turnout in history. It's about all we can do about it at this point.

#10 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

yeah, I have to agree to a certain extent knowing that people are the way they are... lazy and apathetic.

I don't think any of the Ron Paul supporters would do this though. Have you talked to any lately? They still think he has a shot at it.

For fucks sake dude shut up already

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

I say let's make this the lowest presidential election voter turnout in history. It's about all we can do about it at this point.

The exact opposite is true. We need thoughtful, well informed active participants in the process. Not the other way around.

'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage.'

#12 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

We're just dumb beings. No two ways around it. We do not learn from past mistakes and therefore, are going to continue to repeat them until we are no longer here to play repeater.

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

And no, it isn''t wasteul spending. There is no turn out in NY because NY is the nanny state and is corrupt beyond the pale. It doesn't help that the repub VP chairman sent robocalls to all party members telling them that Mitt Romney was the only guy left in the race.

#14 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

We need to vote for any other party out there other than Dem or Rep.

Let them know there are voters out there that will vote for someone else and maybe, just maybe, they'll try to do the right thing in order to get those votes themselves.

If you don't vote, they don't have to fight to keep your vote from going to someone else

As for this thread, everyone deserves the right to vote. Seems some folks have no problem with voter suppression

#15 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

We need to vote for any other party out there other than Dem or Rep. Let them know there are voters out there that will vote for someone else and maybe, just maybe, they'll try to do the right thing in order to get those votes themselves. If you don't vote, they don't have to fight to keep your vote from going to someone else As for this thread, everyone deserves the right to vote. Seems some folks have no problem with voter suppression

great point, but what if there is no 3rd party candidate that sparks your interest or holds any stance you believe in? wouldn't it then be the same kind of "i'm just voting against this guy even though i don't like who i'm voting for" stance?

#16 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

You can say you're just voting against them or you can say you're voting for real change from the status quo.

#17 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

yeah, a protest vote...but i would have to actually like the candidate

#18 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

It's too late. We've already crossed over from apathy to dependence.

Just kiss it goodbye and hope for a decent dictator.

#19 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,624 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

I believed this was our last chance to wake people up to the realization that liberty needs to be maintained to keep going through the disasterous motions of the latter portions untll back to bondage. By tryin to get people to believe in real liberty again. But Im wrong. It's over and there isnt a single thing that will change it.

We're fucked. End of story. Good night suite prince.

#20 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

why do we need government to keep track of the votes?

Why do I have to finance a primary election that I don't even vote in?

#21 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

For fucks sake dude shut up already

you can't seriously believe he still has any chance...

#22 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

you can't seriously believe he still has any chance...

you can't seriously still not be able to stop talking about him

#23 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

the only place I talk about Ron Paul is on this message board, but your point is totally valid. I can't believe I'm still talking about him, either.

I must be obsessed with him the same way joke is obsessed with OWS.

#24 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

yeah pretty much