My 1 y/o has chicken pox

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

Sorry for not posting this on the parents board, but I'm hoping it gets a little more attention here and I might get a piece of advice to help us out.

He is refusing liquids or foods, having to force him to get down anything. He's got energy to crawl around, play a bit. Worried about lack of wet diapers, he just had one but it was barely wet. Really want to keep him out of the ER

It started 3 days ago with crusty eyes in the morning, and progressed into a 103.7 temp yesterday, lethargic, etc. We got him into the Dr today, and they confirmed the chicken pox.

Please, any suggestions about how to minimize his pain, keep him hydrated. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be very hard for him (and me).. luckily my brother's in town and is great with him so I have some help

#2 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,147 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

no advice...just hoping your son's better real soon
:heart:

#3 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

Thanks Java, appreciate the good vibes. Going to try an oatmeal bath in the morning, though he's not acting like it's real itchy.

Just mainly want him to get some fluids before we have to get him to an ER for an iv, or something drastic. I've always been a worrier, now I'm a worrier/parent. You never know what that feels like til you have one of your own that gets sick

#4 KindGeeGirl

KindGeeGirl
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

You can try sucking on ice or sponges. Spray bottle with cold water to calm the itching down. or even to spray in his mouth The oatmeal baths works and dry out the sores.

Chicken pox is a right of passage. Don't worry, he will be fine :)

#5 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,147 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Chicken pox is a right of passage. Don't worry, he will be fine :)

I felt so terrible when I read Heady's posts and my heart goes out to him and his family...I'm glad to see a post like this!

feel better li'l Heady!!!

#6 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I can't really give advice either, but I can send some healing vibes to the little guy... 103.7 temp is no fun... I hate when kids are sick... <3

#7 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

get the pedialyte ice pops. kids love the frozen stuff and they will help keep him hydrated. :)

as for the itching/discomfort, you should be able to give him tylenol or benedryl. just ask the doc. :)

#8 lostchord

lostchord
  • VibeTribe
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Sending some healing vibes his way :heart:

#9 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Yup- was going to suggest popsicles and pedialyte type of juice. My kids rarely get juice so it's a treat for them when they're sick.

Hope he feels better soon! I agree that chicken pox are a right of passage but not when you're 1!!

#10 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

THANKS FOR THE GOOD VIBES. We are receiving them!!

Last night he woke up every 3 hours, eagerly took a bottle of milk and probably consumed 10 oz over night, which was GREAT. He had a total of 5 wet diapers yesterday, less than 4 and it's major cause for concern

Our treatments so far:

Antibiotic eye drops (his eyes are crusted shut in the morning, so this helps after a bath)
Magic Mouth wash (benedryl) to soothe mouth sores
Triaminic to reduce fever
Pedialite, forced through syringe, he won't take it on his own at the moment, hopefully will later (he did take a bottle of it yesterday)

Still refusing food. Planning on giving him an oatmeal bath shortly. I took out my old laptop which he is having a ball banging on. Special treat for him, and it's working for now.

#11 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,071 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Was w/my dehydrated sis at the er the other week. Nurse said shop-rite ice pops. Pedia-lyte baby-style and ice chips/soaked and frozen washcloths sound pretty tasty. Hang in there, Heady. You're doing great!

#12 Janine H

Janine H
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Swift healing baby Heady! :heart: Nothing more frighting then a sick little one..especially when they're that young and cant communicate their needs. Hang in there!!

#13 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

have you seen a doc about this yet?

#14 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

oh man, I feel your worry... it gets very very hard to help them when they won't take any.

looks like you've good some good advice, and you're on the road. Keep on keeping on Daddy Heady. :beer:

Stagger - he mentioned above that the doc confirmed pox, and he has antibiotic eye drops.

#15 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

have you seen a doc about this yet?

We sure did. He ate half a packet of the Plum squeeze food this morning, and half bottle of milk. Is now napping. I think we're off to a good start. I'm about to go ground up some oats for his bath while he's napping

More work than normal parenting, this just gives me that much more respect for all the parents out there. It's WORK

#16 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Milford In the NJ

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hope he feels better, remeber to put him near a many other youngins as possible to spread the plague. Don't bother even asking just put him right up next to them an wait for someone to ask if he's feeling ok . Kiddin of course. I really do wish a speedy recovery.

#17 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

i hope the lil guy gets better soon!

#18 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

if/when the blisters get very itchy, a quick way to help it feel better without scratching is to put him in a bath with the hottest water he can stand. The hot water fools the skin into thinking its getting scratched, and it lasts for awhile after the both is over.

Also works if you ever get poison ivy/oak rashes...

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

if/when the blisters get very itchy, a quick way to help it feel better without scratching is to put him in a bath with the hottest water he can stand. The hot water fools the skin into thinking its getting scratched, and it lasts for awhile after the both is over. Also works if you ever get poison ivy/oak rashes...

You don't have kids, do you?

#20 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

You don't have kids, do you?

Yeah you don't put a 1 year old in hot water...ever

#21 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

" pain, itching, and extreme temperature (both hot and cold) are all relayed along the same nerve pathway. This pathway has a feedback loop at the sensory end, which will "turn off" the nerve if the sensation becomes too intense. So, if you run water that is so hot it triggers the "pain-itch" pathway instead of the "heat" pathway, you may eventually overload the pain-itch pathway and shut it down.

Notice that really, really hot water becomes indistinguishable from really, really cold water? Because they both get shuffled into the pain pathway.

Also, because the pain-itch pathway is after all a sensory nerve in your skin, it is *susceptible* to other kinds of stimulation if they are strong enough... it is not designed to respond to pressure or vibration, but if they are intense enough, it will. This is why rubbing and scratching can also help pain and itching."

I dont know anything about babies...but this will help any skin irritation to stop itching for several hours

#22 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,071 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Delete your post and i'll consider not making fun of you. Lol.

#23 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

I dont know anything about babies..

it's true. :lol:

#24 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

i hope to never need to either.

:lol: sorry for the bad advice. It will become good advice once he;s like 5 or something...whenever he can take a hot bath. Ask some parent

#25 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

he's young, but iching is a form of pain and can be temp relieved with just tylenol or another children's pain killer. I would of course talk to the dr first. my children all had it together (of course) .. lots of oatmeal baths and aveeno cream .. the ice pops are great for hydration or any frozen kid drink. seems like he's past the dehydration now though.

i'm glad you posted this here.

#26 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

My mom would put an ice cube wrapped in a soft cloth on the spots that itched the most. Cold is a natural anti inflammatory. My doc recommended it recently due to minor hives from allergies and a Tylenol (as Allison said).

*definitely do not do what hoagie said. :lol:

#27 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

If his eyes are crusted you can use "no tears baby shampoo" to help clean em! Best advice a doctor ever gave me when mine was little!

No aspirin with chicken pox or ibuprofen!!!!
Can someone call him and tell him it can cause Reyes!!!!!
http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/001592.htm

#28 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

{{{{heady's little one feelin better}}}

#29 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

If his eyes are crusted you can use "no tears baby shampoo" to help clean em! Best advice a doctor ever gave me when mine was little! No aspirin with chicken pox or ibuprofen!!!! Can someone call him and tell him it can cause Reyes!!!!! http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/001592.htm

I read that, THANK YOU for sharing it anyway.. though I have to say I'm a bit confused because we learned today it was misdiagnosed as chicken pox. Apparently it's a virus that's caused him to break out, causing fever and pox like symptoms. He was seen by a PA yesterday, who "wanted to call it something, so she called it chicken pox" seriously.. WTF? Anyway, he seems to be on the mend today, was active, no temp, eating and drinking better. Even took a 2.5 hour nap (saved face for us both)

So how hot should that bath be? :lol:

#30 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

ok great!! So hard when they are that little... my heart is breaking for you....
If the itching gets bad & he starts scratching while sleeping you can put socks on his hands so he cant use his nails to scratch and make it bleed.

#31 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,701 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

no bad advice here, just healing vibes!! :) :heart:

#32 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,147 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

Yeah you don't put a 1 year old in hot water...ever

well at least never with out salt pepper carrots and potatoes

#33 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,147 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

I read that, THANK YOU for sharing it anyway.. though I have to say I'm a bit confused because we learned today it was misdiagnosed as chicken pox. Apparently it's a virus that's caused him to break out, causing fever and pox like symptoms. He was seen by a PA yesterday, who "wanted to call it something, so she called it chicken pox" seriously.. WTF? Anyway, he seems to be on the mend today, was active, no temp, eating and drinking better. Even took a 2.5 hour nap (saved face for us both)

So how hot should that bath be? :lol:

Awesome news glad to hear he's on the mend :clapping:

#34 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

And (knock on wood) he's sleeping better tonight. A great sign for sure

#35 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

well at least never with out salt pepper carrots and potatoes

Don't forget onions :lol:

Glad to hear he's getting better Heady. Been dealing with some sickness at home lately and it has me jumping every time my cell rings.

#36 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Posted Image

#37 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Yum...

#38 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

That baby needs a steal your face tattoo on its head.

#39 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,258 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I was thinking it needs DHJ's face photoshopped on it.

#40 foo

foo
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Needs a bigger pot how you going to add the onions carrots and celery?

Posted Image

#41 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

Add some salt and wait for him to simmer down.

#42 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Ice pops to keep him hydrated. Dehydrations a bitch. Good luck <3

#43 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,147 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Posted Image

:eek1:

how could you?!? :joker:

an electric stove?!? mmmyeah he'll cook evenly :rolleyes:

:funny1:

#44 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,071 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Woks work so much better. Yay, mending Ben!