• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

Thinking of looking at some, wondering what the downsides are.

Plus, property maintenance covered.

Minus: neighbors are close...however with having an apt neighbors are close.

Probably should check out any restrictions imposed by any condo/homeowners association as well as parameters for "special assessments."

#2 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

We'll consider a townhouse for our next purchase, but definitely not a condo situation like we have now with people above us and below us. Way too loud at times and pretty much just like apartment living was for us, only we can't move. :undecided:

In the long run when we finally get out of here and it becomes an investment property for us, I'll appreciate the decision, but for now, it kind of sucks outside of not having to deal with mowing, plowing, trash removal, etc, etc.

#3 Mutant

Mutant
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

The ones that I worked on were often hastily and shoddily built. Association bylaws and fees can be quite restrictive and costly.

I'm sure that there are good points other than the fact that someone else is responsible for property maintenance, but they're not springing to mind.

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hmm....saw some listings for single level, that looked like ranch living.

#5 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

I guess I'd look at what the historical market is near you. It doesn't seem like it would be a "great" investment opportunity down there, but it might be better than break even, which is better than rent. Not sure...

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

How many sq ft ya think I need? I have about 1,500 now...Jumping down to 1,000 should be okay, right?

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Probably should be looking at rentals. 3 cats will probably make that difficult.

#8 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:38 AM

We have a "garden style" condo, which is basically an apartment. There are units above us, below us and beside us. Actually, the complex was initially apartments until the original developer/owner decided to sell off the units as condos. We bought because it was extremely affordable and that's what we wanted during pending economic doom in 2008 and the possibility of one of us losing a job. We are in a college town and the units rent for more than our mortgage+taxes+association dues.

It will be fine when we rent it, but now we're stuck living with those college kids next door to us. :bang:

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Ahh...doubtful on the college kid neighbors.

Checking rental prices and it certainly looks like it would be less expensive to purchase.

#10 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,811 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

I would just make sure to pick something that has a nice as private as possible outdoor area.

#11 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Plus, property maintenance covered.

Minus: neighbors are close...however with having an apt neighbors are close. Probably should check out any restrictions imposed by any condo/homeowners association as well as parameters for "special assessments."

that about covers it
check for any crazy friend clauses

#12 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

We've got a 3BR apt. cat friendly apt. that's just about ready to be rented out but the crazy friend clause might be a problem :devil:

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Can you get me a job to go with the apt?

#14 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,780 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

dont tease me with the thought of renee living near me :carla:
i would love more time with her :heart:

#15 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

There are a lot of condo/townhouse developments in our area that a re more like rowhouses than apartments. Your neigbors are still close, but not as close as an apartment building setup. I have friends who live in a development like this & you really can't hear noise, etc. from the neighboring townhouses. They have a good size deck & grassy area out back, lawn maintenance, landscaping, garbage pickup, etc. are covered by monthly common charge payments. I'd consider a development like theirs if we ever decided to sell our house. I don't think I'd want to move into a garden apartment or apartment building setup though. I'd steer clear of co-ops though. You own shares in a corporation instead of owning your home, so no chance to build equity, the maintenance can be exorbitant at times and the rules established by some co-op boards can be pretty intrusive (i.e.: you can't paint your apartment without getting board approval for the whole job, including the color you pick).

#16 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

con: not enough privacy to take a leak on the lawn

#17 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Milford In the NJ

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

I rent in a townhouse condo complex , Plus side- it's big, safe, modern, downside- the place is falling apart becuase of cheap construction, smoke/stench from neighbors is so strong coming through the walls it's like you live the way they live. Biggest complaint is the way the neighbors watch for every little thing you do and complain/comment/request that you get fined etc.

there's some real stupid rules where I'm at for example:

you cannot park perpandicular to your garage, you can only park parrallel to it. Any second offence after they put a sticker on your car results in a $500 (five hundred dollar) fine!

Next we dog sat for a few days, and were called by the condo bored to pay a fine for not notifieying them we had purchased a dog. they told me we were "reported"

I'd say go for a place that will be easier to get out of if you need to leave imho thats a non-condo bored enviornment. the price you pay just to have he grass cut is not worth it.

If your just renting though, it's totally better then an apartment :0)

#18 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Probably should be looking at rentals. 3 cats will probably make that difficult.

own your home, and you can have 10x the felines!

Posted Image

:wink:

#19 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

:lol: When ya gotta go bad enough not even pride can hold ya back.

#20 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

I would not do it. If you are going to invest that kind of money better off to get a little piece of land and a stand alone unit.

#21 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Selling one of those.

#22 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Make sure there is good soundproofing between the walls. I've never lived in a newer place where this has been an issue, but if it were an older place I'd definitely want to know that there is good sound proofing.

#23 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the tips all!

#24 FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

do condos have cabanas?

#25 CTMuleman

CTMuleman
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Take a look at the association's replacement reserves. The assn eventually has to pay for new roofs, decks, roads, etc. If they haven't been saving up over the years the cost for these things will fall on the current owners through special assessments instead of being spread out over the years by the ones using them.

Read the rules & regulations set by the associations boards. These are not part of the by-laws.

Good luck!

#26 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Can you get me a job to go with the apt?

Depends, can you give me a job for the apt? :o

dont tease me with the thought of renee living near me :carla: i would love more time with her :heart:

How would you like me to tease you? :naughty: :deadheadskier:

#27 mug

mug
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

We have a townhouse with association and we love it. We live in a cul- de -sac with reserved parking right in front of the house. Association fees are 105/ month but covers landscapping, trash, snow. Layout is comfortable at 1500 sq ft, 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths and fireplace. Don't notice or hear neighbors.
Downside is very little land. We have a patio in lieu of a deck, a little garden, not allowed to grow veggies or fruit. The main downside is the rules and regulations of the association. Make sure you find out what the rules are.
Also keep in mind the homeowners assoc also has to be approved by your mortgage co.

#28 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

I;d suggest staying AWAY from The Condomineum With Feet; KING KONG BUNDY

http://www.wrestling...29507/29507.jpg

#29 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,998 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:35 AM

Didn't read all the responses

interest rate on mortgage will be slightly higher than a house

go talk to neighbors when you find one that interests you - ask about how strict the association is with the rules (and you'll get a sense of your neighbors at the same time - neighbors are key to happiness or unhappiness :)

find place with either garage or basement - storage can be important

i have an end unit townhouse, with trees behind me. the one attached neighbor is awesome - we get along great

my place is 1000 sq feet - works for me.

most places have no issues with cats or small dogs (but yippy dogs can be a problem if neighbors complain)

likes: I feel safe, no yardwork, no worries of roof and septic problems, garbage pick up, water, lawn care, snow plow all included

dislikes: no fire pit, no place for a garden, no compost, parking can stink when you have several people over, i can't make some changes I'd like (for example, put french doors rather than ugly plain slider currently leading to back deck) and I can't have a/c unit in my bedroom because both windows face the street and the a/c unit can't be seen from front. grrr)

overall, i like it bu ti hope to have my own lawn and big garden someday

i think you saw them already but here's some pics of my place
https://www.facebook...=3&l=10f5fae9d4

with much work done by seany, gary, UC :)

#30 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

Thank you, most helpful!

#31 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

werd.

I lived in a townhouse for 2 years and couldn't stand it. The biggest thing for me was being at the mercy of people in units around me. Someone next door starts a fire, and there goes everything I own. That possibility really bugged me.

#32 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Dont live underneath small children. :lol:

#33 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

I've been thinking about this too. I don't mind mowing and would miss being able to have a garden. I do mind managing snow though- a lot. Maybe just moving south would take care of that. :)

#34 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

not having a garden DOES suck about having just an apartment.

#35 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Milford In the NJ

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Just an update , we bought a dog, our condo was seemingly ok with it. They do allow pets after all. long story short they are consistently blaming all pee burns in the grass on my pooch! Now I have to replant grass he hasn't even peed on! Aholes. I actually trained him to pee on the curb to take their BS signs seriously.

Also they have this huge dumpster for construction behind our "Unit" I waited until late at night to dump some garage stuff. next day I find it in front of the garage doors. Spies everywhere I suppose, there are no cameras. Now I'm waiting on the fine to come in the mail. yet somehow they've never seen my dog pee on the curb?

Never going into another condo....