• VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

#53 Gypsy Bob

Gypsy Bob
  • VibeTribe
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thank you Levon! You will be sorely missed :heart: Gypsy Bob, was that taken at that outdoor show in West Hurley? That was such a good time!

Yes, in 2008...

#54 Danimal

Danimal
  • VibeTribe
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

So sad hearing this, was really looking forward to seeing him at Jazzfest this year. :( When I heard Robbie Robertson sent his Thoughts, Love, and Prayers to Levon during his Rock "n" Roll Hall of fame speech over the weekend, I figured things couldn't be good for him. People don't usually say things like that for just a "back" injury. While they had their differences, I am sure he would still be in the know of his true condition. I then looked to see if he was still playing Jazzfest as he cancelled a bunch of others shows and sure enough he wasn't listed in the line-up any longer and was replaced with Warren Haynes Band. While a worthy replacement of such a rock legend, he will surely be missed... (((Thoughts and Prayers Levon))) :heart:

#55 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

CBS News) While fighting the final stages of cancer, Levon Helm is hearing directly from his fans.
A day after Helm's wife and daughter announced the former member of The Band had entered the final stages of cancer, his manger, Barbara O'Brien, provided an update: She's reading fans' online Facebook posts and dedications to Helm.
Pictures: Levon Helm
Read more: Levon Helm in the final stages of long battle with cancer
"Thank you, all, for the outpouring of kindness and love," O'Brien shared on Facebook. "I know Levon is feeling it and that love will help guide him through this final journey ... YOU are truly people with class and Levon would think the world of you. The pain of knowing we're going to lose him is almost too much for all of us to bear at the moment. But it can't be about US. This is about honoring this great man's dignity and privacy. Let's send him off with love, positive energy, lots of light and words of support and comfort. Keep sending the great posts. I'm going to read them all to him."
Meanwhile, Helm's former bandmates are offering their own love and support for Helm.
Musician Garth Hudson, also a founding member of The Band, paid tribute on his website.
"I am too sad for words right now," Hudson wrote. "Please continue praying for Levon and family."
During an induction speech Saturday at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony in Cleveland, Helm's former bandmate Robbie Robertson sent his "prayers and love" to the drummer.
Helm was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1998, but that didn't stop him from performing and recording albums.

that's kinda cool... to think maybe he heard what I wrote :bigsmile:

#56 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

...and he shall be a good man :heart:

#57 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,653 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Sigh.

#58 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

:heart:

#59 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him.

On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy.

Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever.

-Robbie Robertson

#60 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

ok that made me cry again.

#61 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,653 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

ok that made me cry again.

Sissy

#62 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

well that only made me mad.

Posted Image

#63 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Glad Robbie & Levon got some closure before the end.

#64 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

SO true Feesh, so true.

#65 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,192 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

Indeed :heart:

Hope that can be a reminder to people to not hold on to hurt and anger.

#66 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

Indeed :heart: Hope that can be a reminder to people to not hold on to hurt and anger.

If Robertson had visited Levon when he was not so weak, he'd have probably gotten his ass kicked.

#67 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

Indeed :heart: Hope that can be a reminder to people to not hold on to hurt and anger.

I sincerely hope everyone takes this to heart with people they care about in their lives. My mother once told me, when I was a rotten teenager, "I will always love you but that does not mean that I will always like you".

God speed Levon, thank you for all the music, memories, and friends. :heart:

#68 Alexias87

Alexias87
  • VibeTribe
  • 31 posts
  • Locationover the hills and far away

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Soo heartbreaking!! My love and support goes to his family and close ones!! I have seen him play a few times but the most recent was last summer in my tiny hometown of Pomfret VT at suicide six ski area...That show will always hold a special place in my heart!!!! Thank you Levon...Forever GRATEFUL!! :heart:

#69 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him. On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy. Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever. -Robbie Robertson

although heartfelt, that's a very carefully worded statement. no where does it say they spoke or communicated.

#70 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

Exactly :heart:

#71 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Grammies 3 consecutive years. Congrats Levon for living your final years in a way most of us can only dream of.

#72 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:53 AM

Absolutely! :heart:

#73 J-LEE

J-LEE
  • VibeTribe
  • 266 posts
  • LocationMystic

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

:cry1: The more I think about it...the sadder I get. Love to Levon and his family!

#74 RottenBellyErica

RottenBellyErica
  • VibeTribe
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Glad I got to see him when I did, both times playing with Hubert Sumlin (who just passed away last year) and David Johansen as the Howlin' for Hubert Revue. The first time was at a small-ish blues festival and Levon only played drums that day. The second time was at BB King's in Time Square and when Levon sang a song, I knew it was a special night. At that point I thought he was not able to sing any more. Not long after that, Dirt Farmer was released and he blew my mind again! I never would have guessed he had it in him to do yet another great album. I'm really sorry I never got to make it to a Ramble.
LOVE and PEACE to you, Levon.

#75 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,558 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

RIP Levon :sad:

#76 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,653 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

:( Source?

#77 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

http://www.spinner.c...helm-dead-dies/

#78 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,653 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Never mind. I see it online now. Damn.

:heart: Levon, and everyone he touched...

#79 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,192 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

(((Shed this mortal coil))) :heart:

#80 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,653 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here:

Even with time to prepare, this is every bit as sad as that day in August of '95...

:bye: Levon

#81 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,219 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

rip my brother...........thanks for moving our souls :cry:

#82 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,148 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

every time i got in the car today there was a Band song playing
it made me nauseous cuz after Jerry, i get nervous when i hear a block of anything on the radio :undecided:
i *knew* on some level but when it was confirmed by the DJ, i cried :cry:

i will remember him playing his ASS off at vibes
i got chills at that set and i consider myself lucky to have seen him a few times over the years
but that one set was just amazing :eek:

RIP brother
Jerry just got a drummer
that Angel Band is getting good...:heart:

#83 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:05 AM

although heartfelt, that's a very carefully worded statement. no where does it say they spoke or communicated.

I didn't even parse the statement to see that. Yeah, once again you're correct, A².
Well... at least Robbie got to pay his respects to an estranged friend.

#84 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Said it elsewhere, and I'll say it here: Even with time to prepare, this is every bit as sad as that day in August of '95... :bye: Levon

It certainly is :cry:

#85 upsguy

upsguy
  • VibeTribe
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

I miss him already. R.I.P.

#86 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 297 posts