254 replies to this topic

#101 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Sweet! You're getting a lot from those indoor plants!!! :clapping:

Yeah I'm surprised they have been coming in so well. I've also started growing there off springs from the seeds I collected.

#102 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

nice! i was very very very tempted to try to get my organic tomato in a p ot indoors but i don't get the direct sun it needs - i went for privacy along the front and let the burning bushes grow instead. i do have lots of kale left and they made it through last winter but we're supposed to get more snow this year so i don't think they'll do it again.

#103 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:13 PM

nice! i was very very very tempted to try to get my organic tomato in a p ot indoors but i don't get the direct sun it needs

Unfortunately my apartment only gets direct syn light for 2 hours a day. So to complinsate I bought some sun plant lights at Homedepo that have worked well. I know it's artificial light but it's worked.

#104 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

Just started poking about in the garden again today... Lo and behold, there are wee tulips pushing their heads out of the earth - a sure sign of spring! :rose:

Posted Image

#105 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

My garden still has snow on it as of yesterday. :lol:

#106 harpualuvsnugs

harpualuvsnugs
  • VibeTribe
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:34 AM

I have lots of seedlings going on now. I started a blog, and I'll have to figure out how to add some picts soon.
http://thedirtyskunk.blogspot.com/

#107 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

Sweet blog! :clapping:

And MeOmYo... I feel for ya! It's amazing how fast everything comes to life once the snow goes, tho...

#108 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

I may have killed my Japanese maple :cry1:

#109 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

How so? Did you ring it?

#110 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

I did that a few years back.
Let the pachysandra choke it out. :bang:

#111 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Booo on losing plants!

My Japanese maple survived it's first winter... Little buds are starting to show up... I didn't know if it would make it but it seems to have weather it all fairly well...

#112 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

I got a bunch of horseradish I'm gonna grind up and rototill in somewhere around the house.

#113 harpualuvsnugs

harpualuvsnugs
  • VibeTribe
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

I got a bunch of horseradish I'm gonna grind up and rototill in somewhere around the house.

Careful, word on the street that it is very invasive. Maybe sink a big *** in the ground(cut the bottom) to hold it back a little

#114 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

I hope when I grow up I'll have the ability (and desire) to be as beautifully creative as all of you. This is my first 'real' attempt at gardening with the intention of trying to bring the plants in when the weather gets cold. (The two cats I that used to eat all the house plants have moved out!):wink:

It is rainy today, but I am so excited about this I had to share :)

Right outside my bedroom window
I've got basil, basil, mint, sage, strawberries, baby tree, old lavander left outside last winter and survived, strawberries, lavander and rosemary. Babies in seed boxes are thyme and daisies. In the uncovered peat pods I'm trying to germinate a baobab seed to make into bonsai.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

We can't grow grass in our back yards, but the onions (scallion?) grow like crazy!:mrgreen:

Posted Image

We don't know what these are- might be soemthing we planted last year that never came up. Anyone know?:dunno:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And Cadence of course <3

Posted Image

#115 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

planted my potatoes the other day - all organic, and i have some broccoli and strawberries plants to go in this weekend. surprisingly, the kale wasn't ready to buy yet and my other seedlings won't go in for a few weeks yet.

my tiny potted mini-daffodils that i bought from the cancer society last year came up this year and are absolutely beautiful. lots of tulips coming along and my primroses are back. not sure about the mini hollyhocks yet and the gladiolas are always questionable since i don't dig them up in the fall, and i haven't been out to the back bed to see what's going on out there yet but hopefully everything will come back out there, too. :thup:

while rainy and in the 70's this week, next week it's back to the 60's with lows in the 30's. :cry:

#116 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Careful, word on the street that it is very invasive. Maybe sink a big *** in the ground(cut the bottom) to hold it back a little

oh, def very invasive. it's going probably between the lawn and the road ditch or maybe up behind the house somewhere with good light. hesitant near the road only because others will dig it too.

it grows wild everywhere around here but just thought it would be nice to have some close to the house.

#117 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

ladyg...they look like lily of the valley!

#118 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

He is my 2011 indoor Garden so far.

05/04/2011 My Indoor Apartment Garden, Arlington, VA Part 1
https://picasaweb.go...lingtonVAPart1#

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#119 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:37 PM

planted my potatoes the other day - all organic, and i have some broccoli and strawberries plants to go in this weekend. surprisingly, the kale wasn't ready to buy yet and my other seedlings won't go in for a few weeks yet.

Nancy- why don't you start kale from seed? It's super easy and will save you some $$$ by not buying seedlings.

Kale's one of those plants you can plant early right after the ground is workable. I actually just pulled some this morning from last year's plants that I never pulled up in the fall - they totally re-sprouted which I thought was pretty cool!

My yoga teacher is going to give me some hops so I'm excited to try that. Apparently they vine and grow up pretty big so I'm going to plant them near our swing set, get a rope hung to the top of the swing set, and let em grow. I don't know that I'll use them for anything but I'm sure I can find someone who home brews. :wink:

#120 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Nancy- why don't you start kale from seed? It's super easy and will save you some $$$ by not buying seedlings.

Kale's one of those plants you can plant early right after the ground is workable. I actually just pulled some this morning from last year's plants that I never pulled up in the fall - they totally re-sprouted which I thought was pretty cool!

My yoga teacher is going to give me some hops so I'm excited to try that. Apparently they vine and grow up pretty big so I'm going to plant them near our swing set, get a rope hung to the top of the swing set, and let em grow. I don't know that I'll use them for anything but I'm sure I can find someone who home brews. :wink:

Hops can grow like 1+ft a day so the more height you give them to grow, the better.

#121 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

ladyg...they look like lily of the valley!

Oooo! They are starting to flower white. :mrgreen: I love spring

#122 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

Oooo! They are starting to flower white. :mrgreen: I love spring

I have both Lilly of the Valley and Solomon's Seal in my garden. They are similar looking as they are related, but you can tell the difference by the amount of leaves. Lilly of the Valley have 2 leaves. Solomon's Seal have several leaves.

#123 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:55 AM

Tabbooma's all grow upside down

#124 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

I finally have the space for a garden and the wife and I are in planning stages. I'm really excited about it since I was space-deprived the last 2 summers. We'll get some pictures up here soon ... I love seeing what everyone else is doing. Looking forward to seeing what 2011 brings to Boardie Nation.

#125 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:15 AM

Strawberries are in a large can and eveything is on or hanging on deck :wink:

#126 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:54 AM

you said "large can" ... :funny1:

#127 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Got the gardens tilled this weekend but nothing planted yet. I am ready to cut our first asparagus though!!!

#128 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

Frustrated. We've had sooooo much rain that it's nigh impossible to get a garden started in this wet soil.

It'll happen .... eventually.

#129 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

Frustrated. We've had sooooo much rain that it's nigh impossible to get a garden started in this wet soil.

Yup- I haven't had a chance to plant anything yet!! We were able to till and mow last weekend (massive work effort Saturday morning before the rain started again) but haven't planted yet.

We are enjoying our aspargus though- it's so cool to cut some stalks to enjoy for dinner every night!! :wink:

#130 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Thats been the one good thing about having a indoor garden. I can start my growing season when ever I want and I control the environment. I started my seeds last year in march and had veggies up until march this year.

#131 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

Think I'm going to dig a ditch around mine tonight and put a tarp over it. Was out there last night and there is still standing water in spots. Calling for rain the rest of the week too.

#132 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,224 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

Here is ours. We have a massive 32 square foot balcony :funny1:

50% of it is garden in the summer months

Green Beans, Bell Peppers, Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley and Garlic Chives
Posted Image

couple of tomato plants as well
Posted Image

Also not pictured is a tray of Arugula and Mesclun mix

#133 harpualuvsnugs

harpualuvsnugs
  • VibeTribe
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

I have gotten so addicted to gardening......I am opening a garden center in my home town....in 3 weeks:one: little nervous, really nervous

#134 jagermonster

jagermonster
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

Good luck harpua, it's a bit stressful, but soothing at the same time. I work at a nursery now, let me know if you ever have any questions.

I'll get up some pics of my garden wen it stops raining!

#135 CreekFreek

CreekFreek
  • VibeTribe
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Just planted this past weekend:

toms, cucs, strawberries, green peppers, string beans, squash, hot peppers (a mix), herbs (a mix), and some experimental pots/red onion/garlic*.

I always try to do something new every year. A few that have failed :lol: watermelon (never got bigger than a baseball) cantelope (golf ball size) green leaf lettuce (I think my dogs trampled this)

#136 harpualuvsnugs

harpualuvsnugs
  • VibeTribe
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:42 PM

Good luck harpua, it's a bit stressful, but soothing at the same time. I work at a nursery now, let me know if you ever have any questions.

I'll get up some pics of my garden wen it stops raining!

Thats great, I sure will need advice. Thanks!! Really excited, but kinda bummed I'll miss summer weekends for the most part. BUT, life is to short to not do what you love:smile:

#137 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

Where's your garden center? Good luck! :rose:

#138 harpualuvsnugs

harpualuvsnugs
  • VibeTribe
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Where's your garden center? Good luck! :rose:

It will be in greenwood lake ny..... I wish I could have started a few months back, but if I play my cards right I should be ok...I hope

#139 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

Here are some pictures I took today.

Garter Snake checking out some muggy warmth.

Posted Image

Oregano

Posted Image

Chives

Posted Image

Sage

Posted Image

Columbine

Posted Image

#140 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

It will be in greenwood lake ny..... I wish I could have started a few months back, but if I play my cards right I should be ok...I hope

Best of luck with your garden center.

#141 motti

motti
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

I started a bucket garden a few weeks ago, mostly home depot buckets.
brand new a couple fridays back;
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have cukes, tomato's, habaneros, jalapenos, and bells. and dill, parsley, mint, oregano, thyme, and basil and anise basil.

#142 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Posted Image

peas, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, and strawberries

#143 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Oy. Still so freakin' wet out there. It's rained 3 nights in a row, too. Very frustrating. But we're supposed to get up near 90 degrees next week so with any luck, and some strong breezes, we'll be able to plant within the week.

#144 CreekFreek

CreekFreek
  • VibeTribe
  • 850 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:16 AM

I've got some sprouts popping up!!!!!

#145 Elephan1

Elephan1
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Sweet boxes and tasty garlic. Anyone know a good source for soil test kits. Living in an old house with a small plot, you have to wonder what's in the soil.:monkey:

#146 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

Sweet boxes and tasty garlic. Anyone know a good source for soil test kits. Living in an old house with a small plot, you have to wonder what's in the soil.:monkey:

In VT you can send in your soil to a local college who will test it for you. It's only $14 per sample which is pretty cheap.

Look into your state's master gardener program to see if they can help you out. :wink:

#147 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,470 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Call a Cornell Cooperative Extension closest to you. They should be able to hook you up.

Got some sheep compost in the garden and planted everything except beans so far (minus cold weather crops lettuce, peas, spinich). Busted my ass the last 2 days to get it in during the nice weather.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pileated Woodpecker going to feed babies

Posted Image

#148 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,913 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

Posted Image

#149 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

no, i didn't red through the whoel thread, and may have found it if I did, BUT.... do any of you care for roses?

I've got 5 rose bushes that inherited with my house. they are blooming like mad, I've deadheaded and kept up with watering as much it looks like I need to. but I'm SO unsure if i'm doing the right thing.

If anyone has any protips to pass along that would be SUPER. I've been meaning to take pictures but have been too busy cutting, picking ,and cleaning and by the time i'm done I forget to snap a photo.

I've got WAY more going on than the roses, but these are the ones that are going to require the most attention and I really want to keep them thriving.

#150 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

Finally was able to plant on Sunday. We're in a new house, so we're going to be in a learning process about the soil and stuff, but I'm pretty confident our garden will do well. Plenty of sun and although the soil's got a bit of clay, we'll be OK. Such a relief to finally plant, though!

Here's the area we started with

Posted Image

Ground is broken

Posted Image

Topsoil/compost for 3 boxes the boy can use

Posted Image

We hope to reap what we sow

Posted Image

A bit more detail and a couple more photos at our site, if you're so inclined. One of the things we're most proud of is our garden markers, which we made out of a fence we tore down that was between the 2 sheds in the background. The garden isn't quite complete as we'll be building a wooden fence around it. There are too many critters around here that would love a free meal.