Do you HAVE to register somewhere?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

We weren't planning on registering anywhere. We've been together 6 years, lived together for 4 years. We just bought a new house. We have everything we need. We were kind of under the impression that we didn't really have to register anywhere. Rich's Mom says we can't just expect people to give us money. So, we're going to browse BB&B and Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma. We were thinking of something that has to do with our honeymoon (we're going on a cruise...maybe people can put money towards an on-ship account for us or something?)

But...do you really have to register? Is it in the wedding rule book? I don't know these things. :lol:

Hell, I'm having bare feet on the beach and Rich is wearing shorts during our ceremony. We really aren't playing "by the rules". :lol:

#2 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

I don't think so... but if people want to buy a gift it's easier if you're registered. You can register at places like amazon.com and rei.com so you can pick out tents and cool camping stuff. I guess it's not all just about homewares anymore!! :wink:

#3 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

we registered here:

http://www.usmint.gov/

:funny1:

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:02 PM

Of course not, you can leave people to their own devices, like it used to be.

#5 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Rich told his Mom, "Ok, we'll register for a new garage door opener and new windows and a wider driveway and...."

:funny1:

#6 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

you don't HAVE to do anything :) but registering is kind of a good idea, bc people will want to buy you presents, and they're gonna buy you shit whether you want it or not- so u might as well get the shit you DO want (and the ability to return it if you so choose, even if u don't have a gift receipt- which is a perk with registering at a store) :) PLUS it is really exciting when u start getting presents in the mail! wheeee! we registered for fun stuff, like a classy wine bar and tons of giant wine glasses... using it makes us feel like grown-ups. hehe.

i also really like the REI idea! my cousins registered there, and it made shopping for them so much fun :D

honeymoon registries are also great!

but when it boils down to it, nothing beats cold, hard cash :D

#7 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

Saw some stuff in a Crate & Barrel catalog that I want. A cupcake pan. :lol: They are in the shape of butterflies and ladybugs. :funny1:

I just feel like we're going to get stuff that we don't NEED. Like, we want, but don't need. I don't know. Guess we need to figure this out. :lol:

#8 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

you don't have to register....

what registering does is give your guest suggestions on things that you might need for your home....
traditionally couples registered because the marriage signified them starting a home together and would need the things to make it a home, these days we live together before hand and don't need to register....

But there are some cool places to register....
www.uncommongoods.com

#9 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

we didn't. most people gave us money or gift cards. some didn't give anything, which was fine with us. When they asked, we said we didn't need anything.
we also got some REALLY cool gifts..a swedish door harp from our friends Bill and Ann and a stunning piece of artwork from Adam (insolent cur) :smile:

#10 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

I want one of those hammocks that you don't need trees for. Can I put that on there? :funny1:

#11 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:48 AM

I was telling my mom the other day that if I did get married I already have all the stuff I need (and then some). :funny1: I think Taraleigh and Dan's idea of registering for dinners, concert tickets and other fun stuff to do together was a really cool idea. :)

Your wedding sounds like the one I would plan. Congrats again to you both. :heart::heart::heart:

#12 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

I have to look up on our cruise if they do anything where people can put money into an account or something. I know at Sandals resorts they do that. Thank you for the reminder! :)

#13 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:07 AM

you don't have to, but if you don't you'll probably get lots of crap you don't need as gifts and then have to return it. People want to buy you gifts, you can either have a say in what you get or you can leave it up to your friends and relatives tastes, which chances are won't be anything like yours.

Is there anything special for the kitchen you would like but wouldn't buy yourself, like a cast iron grill pan, cool fancy food processor, fancier set of pots and pans, new baking pans, a dutch oven, new fancy linens, crock ***, new fancy towels, new fancy knife set, etc? and you can register for camping supplies, an upgraded tent if your tent isn't that great, new camping stove, new bbq, cookbooks, stuff for your honeymoon, like excursions if you are going on a cruise...

#14 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

We went to Target on Monday and went crazy with the scan gun. Rich was having so much fun using it. :funny1: We also registered online at Pottery Barn! Woot woot! :dance:

#15 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:47 AM

nice...
Men love to scan shit... :spank:

#16 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

Oh he had a blast. :lol:

I didn't even scan one thing! I just did all the pointing. :funny1:

#17 micki

micki
  • VibeTribe
  • 625 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

Register --- we're so glad we did!

#18 yummy_taraleigh

yummy_taraleigh
  • VibeTribe
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

We registered at BB&B because my mom made me. We returned a lot of the stuff and got cash. We did register for one of those hammocks you don't need a tree for and we got it!!!! hehe

We registered at amazon.com and 4% of the total spent on that registry was donated to the Vermont Food Shelf thru the I-Do Foundation.

Then we registered for our honeymoon at buyourhoneymoon.com

People give you money for different things on your honeymoon. So for your cruise you can say...champagne and sunset $40, scuba diving in the bahamas $100

http://www.ourhoneym...try.com/taradan

myregistry.com is where you can register for anything including dinners at local restaurants and concert tickets:)

#19 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

So I figured out yesterday why Rich's Mom wanted us to register...her, my Mom, and my Aunt threw me a surprise shower! SNEAKS! Got everything off the registry, so we're pretty excited! I now have a Christmas sized pile of things in the corner of the living room, and I don't know where to begin. :lol:

My Mom came over to our house this morning as another surprise, so she helped me do some stuff in the kitchen and organize some things.

I still can't get over that they did this. I had a beach cake with sand and shells, and my Aunt put beach things all over the house.

I hope somebody sends me some pictures, because I didn't take any! Ack!

:getmarried:

#20 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,394 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

how awesome :heart:

#21 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:36 PM

bocci balls for EVERYONE!!! :lmao:

#22 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:54 AM

So I figured out yesterday why Rich's Mom wanted us to register...her, my Mom, and my Aunt threw me a surprise shower! SNEAKS! Got everything off the registry, so we're pretty excited! I now have a Christmas sized pile of things in the corner of the living room, and I don't know where to begin. :lol:

My Mom came over to our house this morning as another surprise, so she helped me do some stuff in the kitchen and organize some things.

I still can't get over that they did this. I had a beach cake with sand and shells, and my Aunt put beach things all over the house.

I hope somebody sends me some pictures, because I didn't take any! Ack!

:getmarried:

Now that is awesome!!!

#23 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

bocci balls for EVERYONE!!! :lmao:

I wish I could keep all 3 sets of bocce!!! :funny1:

Stupid Target for not updating the registry! :ravn:

#24 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

i checked when i got home, and it seems 3rd time's the charm. :lol:

#25 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

:lol:

It's all good. I'm so happy that you were able to come!!! What a surprise! I can't believe you, Barbie, and Alyson made the trek out to my hometown!!! I wish I could have taken you on a tour right up the street to show you my parent's house! It was right past the farm that you could see off the porch...right on the other side! My Mom and my Uncle grew up on that farm! :) Geoy built a house behind it, and my Mom built a house right across from it! :funny1:

#26 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

it's really pretty in bumblefuck connecticut! we took a tour of sturbridge on our misguided attempt to get gas and not be 30 minutes early. :lol:

#27 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

:lol:

We should all roadtrip to Old Sturbridge Village someday! I haven't been there in ages! I really want to go in like, October, when it's chilly out. It's a neat place to go! :grin: Mackenna would like it!

#28 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

I wish I could keep all 3 sets of bocce!!! :funny1:

Stupid Target for not updating the registry! :ravn:

yeah what's up with Target's registry thing? i went to Brianne's baby shower recently and she got two of the same item off her registry...and i was at the store picking up a gift on my way to the shower and it was STILL on the list! i had it in my hands to buy it but decided on something else instead, or she would have had three of these:

Posted Image

i'm glad you had a good shower tho :) :heart:

#29 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Maybe it takes a day to update or something? That's what Rich thinks, but seriously, if that's the case, they should change it. :lol:

#30 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

i went to a baby shower a few weeks ago & her Target registry showed that NO ONE had bought ANYTHING the day before the shower.... when in fact tons of shit had been purchased! it never updated itself! she got soooooooooooo many pink daisy bibs :lol:

#31 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

if i were getting married again (which i never will, this one is good ;) ) i would ask my guests to make a contribution in our name to a charity of their choosing. or, if they wanted to, i would suggest ones we like. because we had everything we needed already when we got married. i really wish i would have thought of this 22 years ago!

#32 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

We have to go back to Target tonight. I opened up our french corningware, and got to the bottom of the crazy puzzle packed box, and the bottom dish was broken. HMPH! :ravn:

#33 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

yea, we got broken corningware in the mail too! RARRR!

it looked ilke someone just threw all the pieces in a box and then put some bubble wrap on top. idiots.

#34 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

Ours were stacked in there like a puzzle. I'm so proud of myself for getting them all back in there the way they started off! :lol: