Photo

Has anyone here done a Raw Food detox/diet?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

I figured this would get more play here than the Health/Fitness forum.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I'm planning a two week raw food detox and I have a few questions. First of all- what did you eat, because I am not drinking all of my meals as some websites seem to be suggesting by not having any solid food recipes. :lol: I have a few ideas- like pestos and creamy avocado dressings for salads (oil and vinegar just don't do it for me.) Also, did you have trouble getting enough calories (vegetables don't carry many) what did you do for grains (tonight I'm going to try sprouting quinoa) I am a very busy girl with lots of demands and can't deal with fatigue.

My CSA starts up in early May and especially considering the wicked early planting season and the farmers notes, I should be getting lots and lots of awesome greens- chard, kale, baby spinach, etc so I figured this would be a great time to give it a go.

#2 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Good luck - the minute the word diet is said, I begin to crave chocolate and swishy white bread!

#3 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, weight loss is fairly low on the goals list- more of a detox. Actually I'm just a tad worried about losing weight in the wrong places...how can I dance black when I ain't got no back? :lol:

#4 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Ya girl

#5 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Good luck - the minute the word diet is said, I begin to crave chocolate and swishy white bread!

I read that as "swishy white beard" :lol:

#6 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,253 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

start by putting down the Tequila

#7 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

start by putting down the Tequila

You mean end with putting down the tequila. First we have sugar, processed foods, cigarettes, coffee, dairy...we can wait on the tequila. :wink:

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,352 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

I've done a very close to raw detox. Mainly the diet consisted of salads, small portions of flax seed breads, raw unsalted/unroasted nuts and fruits for breakfast. Be cautious though. Protein is needed for a healthy diet. Temporarily cutting it way down is OK (woman especially have a trouble due to iron int he diet, which is mainly recieved from proteins).

Drink a lot of juiced vegetables with beet, garlic adn lemon to really get cleaned out. It's harsh, but it does work.

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,104 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Nope, I have done the 5-7 day liver cleanse. After day 3 the clarity of mind is outstanding.

#10 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Oh definitely- I'm of the school of thought that there is a balance needed between protein/carbs/fats.. read quinoa has 21% of daily iron needed, and as a protein...I'm hoping that will be good staple.

#11 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I did a vegan raw diet a couple of years ago in Jamaica. It was mostly cabbage, fruits, veggies and nuts. I would suggest starting slowly.....the cabbage is a mother fucker on your system. Plus make sure you are getting enough protein or you will just fade away. On the bright side, a salad with all sorts of veggies and fruits is intoxicating with all of the flavors....

#12 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm reading leafy greens coupled with vitamin c for iron absorption...I'm hoping to develop a taste for red peppers. :lol:

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,352 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Oh definitely- I'm of the school of thought that there is a balance needed between protein/carbs/fats.. read quinoa has 21% of daily iron needed, and as a protein...I'm hoping that will be good staple.

We eat lots of red quinoa. It is a jnjn staple. We generally have meat product 2-3 times a week and the portions are small (3-4 oz.). I usually have sushi at work once a week with a lot of seaweed salad. I've been juicing again daily the last few weeks. One for breafix, and usually one with lunch/dinner.

#14 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

I dunno, I've never had to detoxify my raw veggies....

#15 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,083 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

too bad missy and pat arent here much anymore...they have eaten a strictly raw diet for years now
you might wanna ask around for them on facebook, maybe?
britt is close with them...
maybe the jersey crew could put you in touch with them...

they would have tons of recipes for you :smile:

#16 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Wit, I've got the juicer ready to go for you (beets, lettuce, oranges, apples, pineapple, grapefruit, carrots, pears...) also have a raw veg platter, and a blackbean/corn/avocado/red pepper salsa

we'll get you cleaned out! you'll be poopin like mad too!

there are PLENTY of grains and veggies with lots of protein - don't get scared by the protein scare nonsense.

#17 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,755 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yes the body needs protein, but not lots of protein. It is almost impossible to eat natural foods and not get enough protein. For example, a potato has about 2% protein, a small amount. But it is enough.

#18 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

If you can eat a raw potato I'll give you 2% of my net worth which is a negative figure. For cooked food rice and beans work for me...but as a raw diet both would hard to consume.

#19 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,755 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

the point is, there is plenny protein in veggies...

#20 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Tabbooma ate a couple really spicy Kuhn Chili Dogs today

#21 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,104 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Posted Image

#22 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

hey lady :) sorry i haven't responded via text, i had way too much to say for that though :lol:

we started Tuesday and did raw food only through Friday, then fasted for 36 hours, juice only. so we JUST got back from having our first cooked meal of the week! we took it easy and just had spinach and eggs with lots of garlic. we knew we were going out tonight for our anniversary dinner (veggie sushi at the place where we were married) so we wanted to ease in beforehand.

anyway, we feel great and are planning to incorporate a lot more raw food and juicing into our lives going forward. we had some lower-energy times over the course of the week, and especially yesterday when we fasted, but even after a short 6 day cleanse the rewards are huge and my cravings are gone gone gone!

though we didn't use our avocados this way this week, i LOVE making salad dressing with them. i add rice wine vinegar, lime juice, diced shallot, cilantro, garlic and a diced jalapeno to make a great dressing. or toss diced avocado with all of that stuff and serve it in lettuce leaf wraps for a yummy raw wrap.

we juiced twice a day, morning and mid-afternoon, and used a wide variety of veggies and herbs in both the juicing and meals, plus a bit of fruit to make them more palatable. but we took it easy on the sweet stuff and went as colorful and healthy as we could. raw nuts were helpful, especially almonds and walnuts though we also had raw pepitas and peanuts.

when are you thinking of starting? let me know, maybe we'll do it with you and we can be each other's immoral support!

two raw meals we enjoyed that i'd definitely recommend:

Swiss Chard Raw Wrap

3/4 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight in 2 cups water
1 1/2 tbsp flaxseed oil
3 tbsp chopped basil (we substituted cilantro and flat leaf parsley)
3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp sea salt (we subbed bragg's amino acids)
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
3 carrots julienned
2 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, julienned
1 bunch watercress, upper stems and leaves only
4 ounces pea shoots or daikon radish sprouts or both
4 ounces bean sprouts
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on sharp diagonal
8 large, very fresh swiss chard leaves, cut in half lengthwise and center rib removed (i subbed red leaf lettuce as the chard wasn't fresh enough this week)
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (optional)

1. drain almonds and place in food processor with oil, basil, 4 teaspoons lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. process until well chopped and nearly smooth. scrape into a small bowl and cover.

2. puree or dice avocado flesh into a bowl, and add remaining lime juice, salt and jalapeno if desired. cover and set aside.

3. Place carrots, pepper, watercress, shoots and sprouts and scallions on a platter. place swiss chard or lettuce leaves on separate platter. serve with almond and avocado mixtures. invite everyone to spread a small amount of avocado mixture on the underside of a leaf, add veggie fillings and a dallop of almond crumble mixture, roll up and eat Posted Image

Raw Thai "Noodles"

2 yellow squash or zucchini
2 carrots
1 cucumber, peeled
raw almonds or peanuts soaked overnight in 2 cups water
Bragg's amino acids to taste
garnishes: cilantro leaves, sugar snap peas, scallion, and bell pepper, all sliced finely

this is a dish we just made up as we went along, so the recipe is approximate. i took the yellow squash, carrots and zucchini and ran them through my mandolin slicer on its thinnest julienne setting to make veggie "pasta". meanwhile, Jason made a Thai-inspired nut sauce from the raw almonds, cilantro, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, and red pepper flake.

we tossed the veggie "noodles" in the sauce and made an almond crumble similar to the one in the recipe above to add a little texture. then topped the noodles with the garnishes, and served.

we've been juicing twice a day as well. i have plenty of yummy juice recipes if anyone is interested. plus one that wasn't so yummy but that i know was really good for us, haha.

#23 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

oh and if you do raw you may find that you need a double share from your CSA to cover your basic needs for the week, especially if you're juicing! we went through so, so much spinach, watercress, chard, kale, cilantro and other leafy greens this week.

trying to think of all we bought at the produce market on Monday. let's see...

baby spinach
swiss chard
kale
watercress
red leafy lettuce
romaine
those tiny red, yellow and orange peppers
jalapenos
green onion
shallot
onions
beets (for juicing)
oranges
apples
avocados
pummelos
banana
mangos
dragon fruit
ginger
celery
carrots
honeydew
broccoli
cauliflower
sugar snap peas
sprouts...all kinds of sprouts!
raw peanuts, walnuts, pepitas and especially almonds
summer (yellow) squash
cucumbers

and we used flax and chia seeds, as well as cold pressed EVOO. chia seeds are great, added to juices and other cold drinks.

we were able to stay pretty busy this week despite the variable energy levels...went for hikes and long walks every day, and we're headed out kayaking now.

#24 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

No raw food for me but I have been inspired to eat healthier by my boardie friends. Red meat once a week at most otherwise poultry or veggie meal. And I am switching to an electronic cigarrette with hopes of eventually quitting altogether. What the hell is happening to me?

#25 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,600 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

What the hell is happening to me?

#26 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,253 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

it happens. luckily I have my heady lot fashions to fool the kids.

#27 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

I told you all- the woman has got to be stopped!

Thanks for all the tips Thuggy-those recipes look dynamite! I'm planning for April 30th and run straight through til May 14th. That should give a couple weeks for any skin issues to clear before strangecreek. :lol: Probably not going to do as much juicing- it's just too expensive right now, but I'm thinking smoothies combined with a lot of water should be fine-. All organic vegan raw- might not be as restrictive or hardcore, but it's where I'm comfortable starting off- and Ii'm already finding out all kinds of alternative foods that I didn't know existed- which is one of my many motivators.

Also I've been looking at some info and they are saying keep exercising which is pretty obvious and they're talking about jumping on a trampoline to get things moving through the lymph system because it doesn't have a pump (like the cardiovascular.)They call it rebounding. Lymph does move by muscle movement however, so personally I think it's probably hooey the trampoline thing and will just continue my regular cardio and strength training- keep my muscles moving every way possible. :thumbup:

So excited about it- and seriously- The woman has got to be stopped!

#28 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,600 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I told you all- the woman has got to be stopped!

Best of luck with that. :mrgreen:

Was today your first CSA pickup? I know you said it's coming up soon...

#29 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,242 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

It's not until May 5th- I'll have a week with it on the detox. To wait to start the detox for the CSA to start means i'll have to deal with being on my moon with no motrin and it's a little close to SC- I need a little chance to get my alcohol tolerance back at a comfortable level. :lol: (that last part is kidding.)

#30 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,600 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

:) Today, three weeks from now...I guess the "Vibes soon" has infiltrated my head...

Good luck with the detox!

#31 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

if you're doing this for the 1st time, here is my advice. it's just my advice, do with it what you will ;)

9 days.

for 3 days eat light: day 1: steamed veggies with maybe some fish for dinner. if you eat a little grain, don't eat it with the meat, just the veggies. if you eat fruit, eat it alone. juice veggies between meals. don't mix fruit juice w/vegetable juice. (i know there are a lot of differing opinions on this...) salad is good too.
day 2 & 3: just steamed veggies, juice & fruit. add more salad.
day 4: raw veggies & juice only
day 5: juice only
then go backwards: day 6 is like day 4 and so forth.

that's how i'd do it. forest and i are going to do this in a couple of weeks :thup:

#32 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

oh, and drink a lot of clean water.

going off a fast of any kind is where most people screw it up. you have to go on and off slowly if you don't want to completely freak your body out.

#33 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

this thread rocks!!!!

Thug, that dressing! omg, I think I just creamed my pants!!!

#34 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

JUICIN AND POOPIN!!!

#35 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:15 AM

No raw food for me but I have been inspired to eat healthier by my boardie friends. Red meat once a week at most otherwise poultry or veggie meal. And I am switching to an electronic cigarrette with hopes of eventually quitting altogether. What the hell is happening to me?

Wanna borrow some documentaries? rofl

#36 DF

DF
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

I think I just creamed my pants!!!

that's hot :)

#37 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,600 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

I think I just creamed my pants!!!

Some vegan you are. :funny1:

ricedreamedmyjeans'd

#38 J-LEE

J-LEE
  • VibeTribe
  • 266 posts
  • LocationMystic

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

Some vegan you are. :funny1: ricedreamedmyjeans'd

:rotf:

#39 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Some vegan you are. :funny1: ricedreamedmyjeans'd

:lol:

Wit, i forgot to mention raw honey for sweetening, and Bragg's amino acids for salt. we went really light on both, but they were invaluable when making dressings and stuff.

DF, we had an amazing habanero hot sauce last night on sweet potato/kale cakes with black beans and guacamole, and now Jason wants to pick your brain for recipes. that fruity heat, oh man was it fantastic! so please be prepared, come StrangeCreek :)