Photo

I would have said you were full of sh!t...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

if you told me this was still true today.

WTF :bang:

In 29 states, it’s still legal to fire
someone solely because they’re lesbian, gay, or bisexual; in 34 states it is legal to fire someone solely for being transgender.

Thousands of hardworking lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans have lost their livelihoods simply because of who they are. And millions more go to work every day facing that threat.

http://sites.hrc.org...danow/index.asp

#2 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

For reals?! I thought there were federal anti descrimination laws. Thats f'd.

#3 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,808 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

this is why I :lol: when people ask me why don't I just go and get a teaching job in the south.

#4 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

Really?

How is this still possible?

I also thought there were laws against this.
Unfortunately there are no ways even when your equal to keep the bigots at bay.

#5 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

For reals?! I thought there were federal anti descrimination laws. Thats f'd.

There are. There may not be state laws prohibiting this but there are federal laws. I took a sexual harassment class yesterday and this was discussed :lol:

#6 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

If someone wants to fire you... They will find a way.

#7 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,808 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

If someone wants to fire you... They will find a way.

true but people still deserve equal protection under the law

#8 FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

so Joker whattya tryin to say ? you worried they can still fire you ? Just dont let em know about your transgender issue... geez
take off the bra untuck and let it hang loose

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Are those specific laws or do some of those fall under the "at-will" employee category?

#10 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Are those specific laws or do some of those fall under the "at-will" employee category?

yeah, I was going to ask this same thing. If you work in a state with an "at-will" policy, they don't really have to say why they're firing you. The excuse "something suddenly came up!" is enough.

#11 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

Well, half the states still don't have lifestyle discrimination laws as well, which means that in those same 29 states you can be terminated for being a dirty hippie on your own personal time as well. Employment law in many states does not offer as much protection as people seem to assume these days.

We of course, live in one of those very backward states... :(

#12 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

ive been seeing this posted a lot lately around the intranonz... im surprised ppl werent already aware of this sad fact.

:(

#13 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'm not sure how specific the laws are about this. I came across the original post looking for more about a certain someone not signing an order preventing this type of thing on a federal level (I'm trying to keep it non-political so this doesn't get moved ;) )

http://www.cbsnews.c...ation-inaction/

#14 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Gay Federal Employee Says Facebook 'Like' Led to Discrimination, Harassment and Firing

Peter TerVeer, 30, a gay auditor at the Library of Congress, said his "liking" a Facebook page that promoted gay adoption led to workplace discrimination, harassment and his eventual firing.

TerVeer said he'd had a "friendly" relationship with his supervisor, as well as "exemplary" marks and performance reviews before his boss learned he was gay.

TerVeer said the harassment started when his supervisor forwarded a "threatening" email to him stating "Diversity - Let's Celebrate It" alongside a picture of assault rifles.

Fired on April 6 for missing 37 consecutive workdays, TerVeer said he was on disability leave because of a severe anxiety disorder triggered by a hostile work environment. Although he said a supervisor had signed off on the leave, he said the Library of Congress said the leave had expired.
"It felt like the seams were coming undone on a career that I had moved halfway across the country for and that was my everything," TerVeer said.

More
http://news.google.c...n&ar=1334344729

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,180 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

If I missed work whenever I worked in a hostile environment...

#16 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Gay Federal Employee Says Facebook 'Like' Led to Discrimination, Harassment and Firing Peter TerVeer, 30, a gay auditor at the Library of Congress, said his "liking" a Facebook page that promoted gay adoption led to workplace discrimination, harassment and his eventual firing. TerVeer said he'd had a "friendly" relationship with his supervisor, as well as "exemplary" marks and performance reviews before his boss learned he was gay. TerVeer said the harassment started when his supervisor forwarded a "threatening" email to him stating "Diversity - Let's Celebrate It" alongside a picture of assault rifles. Fired on April 6 for missing 37 consecutive workdays, TerVeer said he was on disability leave because of a severe anxiety disorder triggered by a hostile work environment. Although he said a supervisor had signed off on the leave, he said the Library of Congress said the leave had expired. "It felt like the seams were coming undone on a career that I had moved halfway across the country for and that was my everything," TerVeer said. More http://news.google.c...n&ar=1334344729

There is more to this then just his side of the story but it is illegal in every state under federal law to fire somebody for sexual orientation.

#17 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Library of Congress has an auditor just for gays? Pheww!

Wait....

What?

#18 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

There are certain classifications of discrimination which are federally recognized, like harassment or discrimination based on race, gender or religion. Some states have also identified additional categories, like sexual orientation or gender identity, as protected classes. Even in at-will states, you cannot be fired based on a protected characteristic. Unfortunately, not every characteristic is protected in all states. And even where they are protected, some employers still illegally fire or don't hire people based on those characteristics... We still have a long way to go.

#19 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'm pretty sure I got fired because of my disability a few years ago... I mean there was a "reason" established, but once my boss saw that my disability was affecting my performance numbers in terms of call times and stuff like that he started putting an unreasonable amount of pressure on me trying to get me to crack. Of course I didn't have any proof, but I'm willing to bet that this kind of stuff happens a lot more than people imagine.

#20 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

This is obviously a problem and something that he had promised he'd do but apparently won't because it's an election year

Obama declines action on anti-gay discrimination from contractors

WASHINGTON - Rejecting pressure from gay rights activists, President Barack Obama will not issue an executive order barring federal contractors from discriminating on the basis on sexual orientation, his spokesman said Thursday.

Obama "is committed to securing equal rights" for gays and lesbians, White House press secretary Jay Carney said, but for now the president will pursue a slower path on the issue.

Instead, Carney said, Obama would continue to push for passage of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would provide broader protection.

"The approach we’re taking at this time is to try to build support for passage of this legislation, a comprehensive approach to legislate on the issue of nondiscrimination," Carney said.

The news outraged some activists, who have taken up the issue as a major priority in the wake of the repeal of "don’t ask, don’t tell" - the law that barred gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military. With Republicans in control of the House, an anti-discrimination law is unlikely to pass.

Despite enjoying strong support from gay and lesbian voters and donors, the president has had a sometimes rocky relationship with gay rights activists who have pushed him to move further and faster on their issues. The president took a slower approach to repealing the "don’t ask, don’t tell" law than many wanted. He is under fresh pressure to endorse gay marriage, an issue on which he says he is "evolving," as the Democratic Party crafts its 2012 platform.

Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese said his organization was "extremely disappointed" and would continue to lobby on the bias issue.

Other activists attributed Thursday’s news to election-year politics.

"This is a political calculation that cannot stand," said Tico Almeida, president of Freedom to Work, an advocacy group that has launched a campaign against discrimination in the workplace. "White House staffers and lawyers have let politics stand in the way of a basic American value - that a solid day’s work deserves a solid day’s pay, regardless of the color of your skin, your place of worship, your gender, or who you love."

Carney disputed the characterization, saying the decision was "absolutely not" a move for safer political harbors. The White House’s legislative strategy was "similar to" the one it chose on military service, Carney said.

The White House suggested the federal contracting issue did not yet have sufficient support.

Carney said the administration would focus on building support and coalitions around the issue, working with activists and contractors.

Carney added that the White House was making the decision not to issue the order "at this time."

Almeida said his group would continue to lobby the White House.

http://www.bostonher...position=recent