• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 665 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Let us all hope that last year's heat wave was a fluke. Damn near killed me.

#2 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,486 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Last year's hot weather was hot.

#3 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'd be okay with the weather being exactly the same as it was at Vibes 2010! :v:

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hoping right along with you!

#5 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Yes I vote for 2010 weather! Perfect all weekend long!

Barring that, I vote for more than 2 spigots to fill you container with city water and some kind of cooling station. Filtered filling stations I'm guessing are way out of the question.

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'd be okay with the weather being exactly the same as it was at Vibes 2010! :v:

This. It was perfect. :)

#7 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,330 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

The heat put a major hamper on Tabbooma's alcohol consumption and kept him in camp during the day ;)

#8 liveyoursong

liveyoursong
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationChurchton, MD.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

The heatwave definitely put a damper on the weekend activities but it was still a weekend with family :jerry:

#9 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,396 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

too hot to even speak now

#10 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,019 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

from your fingertips to gods ears :jump:

#11 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

No matter what it's going to be HOT!!

#12 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,631 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on.

#13 Sneaker_Pumpernickel

Sneaker_Pumpernickel
  • VibeTribe
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Milford In the NJ

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

Poop Sauna

#14 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,674 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

some like it hot, but you can't tell how hot till you try.

some feel the heat and decide that they just can't go on.

#15 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 665 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Was curious so I looked up last year's daily high temperatures...Thursday, July 21....89, Friday, July 22...103, Saturday July 23...96, Sunday July 24...86.......Now for the daily LOW temps....Thursday 75, Friday 77, Saturday 75, Sunday 75...unbelievable

#16 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,567 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

it was too hot to walk down to the sound to cool off...I pretty much hid last year until the 6pm music slots and it was still too hot.

i'll take 2010's temps as well :thumbsup:

#17 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,019 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

my favorite part of each day at schweaty vibes (last year), was the exact moment the sun dipped behind the skyline and the entire park erupted into clapping, cheers and cries of "YAY! FINALLY!" and people started crawling out from under shelter, ready to rage :Phishfolk:
i have never seen the energy at a vibes change so drastically from one hour to the next
its like someone flicked the freak switch and everyone came to life :bliss:

#18 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

my favorite part of each day at schweaty vibes (last year), was the exact moment the sun dipped behind the skyline and the entire park erupted into clapping, cheers and cries of "YAY! FINALLY!" and people started crawling out from under shelter, ready to rage :Phishfolk: i have never seen the energy at a vibes change so drastically from one hour to the next its like someone flicked the freak switch and everyone came to life :bliss:

where i was on saturday, the rally cry when the sun finally hit the branches of this one group of trees was "victory is OUUUURRRSSSS!!!!!!" :lol: i got up saying "tear down the walls!!" and ripped the last 2 tapestries down. brutal. it wasn't even just the temps it was the heat index with the humidity factored in. brutal.

#19 neurotech

neurotech
  • VibeTribe
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

OK How about 2009? I think I'd take the heat over the horse manure straw!!!

#20 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 301 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

It was the schweatiest Vibes yet, most certainly. I think they said it was a record, at least for Vibes. CALIENTE!!!!!!
Yup, 2010, best weather yet.
Rock on.........................
:syf:

#21 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

OK How about 2009? I think I'd take the heat over the horse manure straw!!!

I don't think that was horse manure.

2009 wasn't that bad, plenty of sun in the morning to dry everything out

#22 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Yes I vote for 2010 weather! Perfect all weekend long! Barring that, I vote for more than 2 spigots to fill you container with city water and some kind of cooling station. Filtered filling stations I'm guessing are way out of the question.

shouldn't be. Greyfox brings in tanker containers of water & have multiple spigots per container. There must be at least 10 of them scattered around the campground & 1 on the main field. They're awesome!!

#23 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

I actually liked 2009's occasional rain. It was very, "We're here to have a good time, let's do it in the rain!" Plus, I brought good footwear. Never underestimate the value of good footwear.

#24 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 469 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I highly recommend the camel-pack!! we bought them last year, and it legitimately saved me. Dumped ice in it, and it kept my back cool too.... it wasn't 100% suckage due to that saving grace.

#25 Alexias87

Alexias87
  • VibeTribe
  • 31 posts
  • Locationover the hills and far away

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

Last year...That was that hottest i think ive ever beenPosted Image , it was ALMOST unbearable!! but at least our camp site didnt flood like previous years !

#26 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I highly recommend the camel-pack!! we bought them last year, and it legitimately saved me. Dumped ice in it, and it kept my back cool too.... it wasn't 100% suckage due to that saving grace.

They made my brother empty his ice/spring water filled camel pack everytime he tried to get through with it.

"You can fill it up inside", they said. :rolleyes:

#27 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

too hot to even speak now

:dance:

#28 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 665 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

If the weather is as hot as last year, does anyone know where I can rent a spacesuit that has cooling liquids pumped throughout? Might be hard to get around but that 65 degree inside air would surely have helped me last year.

#29 MidnightJester

MidnightJester
  • VibeTribe
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

I would take the heat as hard as it was if the other choice was chilly and rainy.... But would like it in the upper 80's each day

#30 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 665 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Sorry, I'll take Vibes in a freaking blizzard compared to what I had to deal with last year. I literally missed half of the festival due to severe cramping, to the point I couldn't walk or sleep. I guess my body just isn't made for extreme heat and I suffered greatly. Nothing I did made me feel better: swimming in the sound, showering constantly, sucking down water...at least I could hear the bands from the medical tent. However, on Sunday I recovered and was at the front of the stage from the beginning of the day to the end of John Butler Trio.

#31 MushroomMan

MushroomMan
  • VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

it was so hot last year I was barely even upset about missing Taj Mahal and Tedeski Trucks.... and I was looking forward to seeing them!

#32 scarfire

scarfire
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,396 posts
  • Locationmatzah pizza

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

sorry to hear about your lousy experience with the heat, jimbo.

i decided to sit most of the hottest part of the day under a heavy shade tree near the water, allowing the nice warm
breezes to get some airflow on my skin. i'm fair skinned, so i decided early on to avoid the field and the sun and a severe burn (the
thought of lathering myself in that thick, slimy SPF50 lotion in the oven-like, oppressive heat never crossed my mind).

i sat in my camping chair with my feet up, slowly sipping a harpoon IPA (in a can of course) and listening to the music from a distance. boardies
would come and go as i slowly consumed. i kept a few bottled waters nearby to ensure proper hydration.
i meditated under that tree and gradually felt myself go into a trance-like state.
the heat enveloped my body and the intense relaxation gave me a feeling of euphoria like i'd never experienced before. it was
incredible! i sat in that camping chair for hours, only getting up for the occasional run to the porta-shitter.

when the sun finally started to dip, i dumped a bucket of ice cold water over my head and prepared for furthur.

it was a memorable day to say the least!

#33 Mr Bo Berry

Mr Bo Berry
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,252 posts
  • LocationDerby CT

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Our solar shower filled with cold water saved the day. That and our new chairs with attached sun umbrellas allowed us to spend more time on the field. Love those chairs

#34 IT_Buzz

IT_Buzz
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

I covered my windshield of my car with one of my tapestries, got in my car, turned her on, and got the AC going full blast. A little gas was worth the prevention of a visit to the hospital.

[Yes, I am aware that only I could turn a woman on and at the same time it make her cold to me.]

#35 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 665 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

I also got into my car with my buddy to cool off. I remember it well because it was 9pm on Friday night. Thought I'd listen to the news so I tuned to 880 WCBS from NYC. The announcer said "It's 9 pm in midtown Manhattan, the temperature is 98 degrees. Some things stick in your head and that one did.

#36 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

it was hot? :confused1:

#37 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

They made my brother empty his ice/spring water filled camel pack everytime he tried to get through with it. "You can fill it up inside", they said. :rolleyes:

I'm a huge cheerleader for vibes in general but that was just shameful. Shame shame shame. Anything less than as much water as you want, in any sort of container, anywhere you want it is negligent and extortionist.

#38 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,019 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm a huge cheerleader for vibes in general but that was just shameful. Shame shame shame. Anything less than as much water as you want, in any sort of container, anywhere you want it is negligent and extortionist.

ditto
ditto
a thousand times ditto

i cant express how much this issue bothers me
last year it was CRIMINAL how tough they made it to hydrate
EVERY checkpoint would make you dump your water :bang:
complete idiocy and i have NO IDEA how vibes dodged someone dying of heatstroke :dunno:
if it wasnt for our environment of taking care of each other, this ludicrous rule would surely have led to tragic results :plain:

i LOVE how ken took care of the nitrous problem, or at least made it not so pervasive, i just wish he considered this the problem that it is! i know the "official" rule was one sealed water on the field BUT not all security knew this! countless times i was told i couldnt have my water
i had to resort to hiding it like it was moonshine or something :rolleyes:

#39 jimbo02816

jimbo02816
  • VibeTribe
  • 665 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Yes, shame on you Vibes...shame for being in the exact geographic area that the heat wave hit...you knew ONE WEEK in advance it was going to be hot...why didn't you move the festival to Minnesota or maybe Northern Maine, huh? Can't answer that one can ya.

#40 tarapin

tarapin
  • VibeTribe
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

I was 8 months pregnant ...... I can't believe looking back hat I even went!! Thank god I paid for VIP and stayed in a hotel. I feel like I could deal with anything this year!!

#41 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

I hope they reconsider the water issue. That is ridiculous!!

#42 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,703 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

As vocal as I was about the NOZ issue, I was 10X more upset about the H2O issue. I hope that I had helped in some small way with my bitching about NOZ to help rid Vibes of NOZ. I also hope that my bitching about water will help bring change.

The thing is Ken & company listen. They proved that with nitrious. They are sometimes slow to listen (2009 had a "zero tolerance NOZ policy!). I hope the H2O complaints were loud enough to hear the firat time....

#43 mcm

mcm
  • VibeTribe
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

shouldn't be. Greyfox brings in tanker containers of water & have multiple spigots per container. There must be at least 10 of them scattered around the campground & 1 on the main field. They're awesome!!

this was the painfully obvious solution to last year's heat and water-dumping policies. complete no-brainer to call in a water supply company to send over a truck - super easy solution to a serious risk. a quick google turns up 6 companies in the immediate area providing that service.

i was asked only once to dump a water bottle full of ice and water - i flatly told the girl that her request was medically dangerous, and kept walking. i think they yelled after me, but i didn't pay them any mind. no one should have any qualms in politely disobeying a dangerous and uninformed command.

#44 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,330 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

Just luck of the draw, last year it ws absolutley beautiful before the vibes and than that heatwave rolled in... Sunday at the Vibes was awesome, the rest of the days gave Tabbooma a rash

#45 NYCrckl

NYCrckl
  • VibeTribe
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

I've been to every Vibes for the last nine years in a row. I will not be going this year. I simply can't get over the fact that myself and so many others were forced to dump out their water at these 'check points'. It was bad enough that I had someone pat down my crotch looking for a pipe or a bottle of booze or a sandwich ... I have no idea what they were looking for. I do know that water was considered contraband in 100 degree weather at this festival. Even at 4 am when there were not any vendors selling water so everyone could get their money - people were not allowed to bring from their camp areas. What were we told? There is a spiket somewhere near the food area. Thanks. This festival has veered far from the Gathering of the Vibes that I loved. I have dealt with torrential downpours, electrical storms, 8 hour lines at Mariaville, terrible Rendezvous security ... Well, a lot over the years. I have always come back. Not this time. There were just too many unforgivable things last year. I'm going to other, kinder festivals this year. Shame on you Vibes.

#46 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

here is the policy for this year....

Vibes 2012 Water Policy
North Grove Ticketing Entrance: Day Ticket Holders
1-24 oz sealed water bottle per person may pass through the security check point. No CamelBacks. No Coolers.
If you arrive with an opened container, you will have to empty it, however, there will be free filling stations located in the Food Court.

Attendees walking from the Camping Areas into General Assembly areas may pass through security check points with:
1-24 oz sealed or unsealed water per person. No CamelBacks. No Coolers.
Any non-alcohol beverage purchased from a food vendor may pass through security check points.
Per state law, you cannot bring alcohol into the concert or General Assembly areas.
Any container larger than 24 oz needs to be emptied and can be refilled at our free water stations - (There will be several - one specifically located at the Food Court)

#47 jcomeau

jcomeau
  • VibeTribe
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

So there is alcohol only in camping? No vendor sold alcohol? Are empty camelback allowed in to general areas allowed to filled once at a filling station?

#48 mcm

mcm
  • VibeTribe
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

here is the policy for this year.... Any container larger than 24 oz needs to be emptied and can be refilled at our free water stations - (There will be several - one specifically located at the Food Court)

do you mean the one (two?) existing water fountain(s) in the grassy area opposite the food court that generate tremendous lines? the key question is if you're augmenting the existing infrastructure with any new water sources, or if they're the same as before.

#49 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,019 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

i just dont get why ken would discourage anything other than every attendee hydrating as they need to :bang:
what possible reason would there be other than to sell water? :dunno:
it is shameful, plain and simple :plain:
if it IS due to wanting to sell more water, then i am very disappointed in ken and company
they certainly do not have enough potable water onsite, imho
this just really irks me and i wish someone would address this and change the rule to allowing folks to NOT use plastic bottles and to hydrate as needed...
shame on terrapin :spank:

#50 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Back in the day we were able to bring gallons of water out onto the field & were encouraged to do so & share