New York Mets

• Please log in to reply
4681 replies to this topic

#4501 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

I would be happy with an amazing defensive SS, who can hit enough.

The Red Sox just gave one away.

http://wapc.mlb.com/...ent_id=29653669

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/s...24&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

#4502 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

The Red Sox just gave one away.

http://wapc.mlb.com/...ent_id=29653669

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/s...24&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

That was my reference point.

PS.  Charlie Manuel Fired!

#4503 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

Dice-K is now a Met. He starts tomorrow night against Detroit.

#4504 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:02 AM

:gah:

#4505 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Migeul Cabrera going to have back to back MVP seasons.  Historically great seasons.  

Yup, it was a bad idea to want to trade for him.

#4506 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

#4507 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

WFAN's Mike Francesca reported Monday that Matt Harvey has a torn UCL in his right elbow.

That injury almost always leads to Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, which would likely cost Harvey the entire 2014 season.

#4508 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

beat me to it.

sweet. next year he gets Strassburg innings.

even when they get it right they fuck it up.

fuck me.

#4509 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

Migeul Cabrera going to have back to back MVP seasons.  Historically great seasons.  

Yup, it was a bad idea to want to trade for him.

No one said it was a bad idea to trade for him.

However was never on the market to begin with.

So it basically becomes a fantasy argument of a fantasy trade.

#4510 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

sweet. next year he gets Strassburg innings.

btw with how awful the Nationals are playing this year, how stupid does shutting him down late in the season look.

#4511 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

yeah, agreed on the Nats.

this if harvey pitches at all next year, but I'll wait on the timeline.

#4512 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

No one said it was a bad idea to trade for him.

However was never on the market to begin with.

So it basically becomes a fantasy argument of a fantasy trade.

You have not read this whole thread then or do not remember the vitriol I got for evening mentioning trading for him.  

Most of the backlash was about what a terrible person he was, bad team mate, alcoholic who could not control himself before aplayoff run, etc...

Besides you, every Met fan who frequents this thread thought it was an awful idea.  Hence me throwing out his numbers on occasion to remind people that, it was not an awful idea, and that his production outshines any of the off the field stuff.

#4513 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

i thought it was a bad idea to put the person in the clubhouse, in New York, considering his past.

i also thought it was a bad idea to spend that kinda money on the player when they are broke and not competing.

I still wouldn't want him on this team regardless of his stats.

#4514 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

WFAN's Mike Francesca reported Monday that Matt Harvey has a torn UCL in his right elbow.

That injury almost always leads to Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, which would likely cost Harvey the entire 2014 season.

:bang:

#4515 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Alright, I am on the it is time for TC to get fired, or at least not renew his contract, and bring someone else in.

TC has had two Ace's go down with serious injuries during his watch.  Santana and Harvey.

I read that management was waiting to make sure they did not collapse down the stretch before renewing TC.  Now, 5 game losing streak.

Ths inury to Harvey now puts us on my original trajectory of 2015, was very hopeful for 2014, until yesterday.

I have been on the fence about this for a bit, but I now want TC gone.

#4516 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationNew Rochelle, NY

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

So how is Harvey's injury Collins's fault?

And you're really going to make anything out of a 5-game losing streak (3 to one of the best teams in the league) for a team that was mediocre before losing their best player, closer and pitcher?

#4517 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

So how is Harvey's injury Collins's fault?

And you're really going to make anything out of a 5-game losing streak (3 to one of the best teams in the league) for a team that was mediocre before losing their best player, closer and pitcher?

Who knows, may be I am just mad about Harvey's injury.

But my logic is, TC or Warthen (who I think needs to go too either way) has to see Harvey is out of whack with his mechanics (even if only slightly).  I read over the weekend, Harvey stated, He has to be careful towards the end of the season and not get out of his mechanics and get hurt.  Then a day later Harvey is hurt.

The problem with this 5 game losing streak is, I do not see much hope the rest of the way, and expect the Mets to go 11-22 over last 33 or somethingl ike that.  I actually prefer they do, so they get a top 10 pick.  Then they could sign a free agent, and not lose their top pick.

#4518 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,945 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

The Harvey injury is rough.

A loss for MLB, hopefully temporarily.

What an amazin' season he had

:(

#4519 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Buck & Byrd plus cash to the Pirates for prospect Dilson Herrera & PTBNL.

Den Dekker, Recker, & Carson back up.

#4520 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Buck & Byrd plus cash to the Pirates for prospect Dilson Herrera & PTBNL.

Den Dekker, Recker, & Carson back up.

Scouting report on Dilson Herrera is pretty decent, and a future 2B.  Like the sound of that.

Also, moving Byrd, this almost gaurentees a 11-22 finish.

#4521 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Would have been nice if they waited a day to do the trade.  Yesterday was was Byrd t-shirt day.  :facepalm:  :lol:

#4522 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Would have been nice if they waited a day to do the trade.  Yesterday was was Byrd t-shirt day.  :picardfp:  :lol:

Agreed but he is not helping beyond the end of this season, and they say we got a legit prospects so that is good.

Kieth Law from ESPN on the prospect the mets got:

He's an above-average runner whose speed hasn't translated into baserunning value, and is presently a fringy defender at second but should develop into an above-average glove given time and instruction. I'd call him a future everyday second baseman, a solid regular with a chance to be an above-average one. 

I'm told by multiple sources that the Mets will receive another player to be named who is a "solid" piece, enough to make this deal even better for New York. Given how little sense there seemed to be in retaining Byrd at the July trade deadline, this is a very positive result for Mets fans after this week's other less fortunate news.

#4523 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

I like Byrd & I'm sorry to see him go but I had a feeling he was on the block.  Seems like he's a good fit for the Pirates & Herrera's got a lot of potential.  Good trade, just the timing made me go :facepalm:

On the bright side, we're finally going to a game tonight.  Hoping Dice-K will get his shit together.  If not, maybe we can go get some foam fingers & twerk it up in the Acela Club.  :eek1:  :lol:

#4524 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

I like Byrd & I'm sorry to see him go but I had a feeling he was on the block.  Seems like he's a good fit for the Pirates & Herrera's got a lot of potential.  Good trade, just the timing made me go :picardfp:

On the bright side, we're finally going to a game tonight.  Hoping Dice-K will get his shit together.  If not, maybe we can go get some foam fingers & twerk it up in the Acela Club.  :eek1:  :lol:

Now that would be funny.  You should do it in the outfield by all the vendors so that you can get on TV, and not just local I am talking ESPN.  :lol:

I got to a game, last week, to bad it was a Phillies game.   :crook:

#4525 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

:lol:  Yeah, that's all I'd need is making the highlight reel.  I'd never live that down. 

But I'm pretty sure my vinyl bikini is at the cleaners, so I don't see any twerking in my future.  Besides, considering how much they charge for beers at Citifield, I can't afford to get as drunk as I'd need to be to actually do it. 

#4526 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

I bet we'll see some R-rated twerking on the Shea bridge before the season is over. I further predict that management will shut that down, but encourage PG-rated Fandangoing. 

#4527 gotroot801

gotroot801

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

:lol:  Yeah, that's all I'd need is making the highlight reel.  I'd never live that down. 

But I'm pretty sure my vinyl bikini is at the cleaners, so I don't see any twerking in my future.  Besides, considering how much they charge for beers at Citifield, I can't afford to get as drunk as I'd need to be to actually do it. 

Like you never drank in the parking lot.  ;)

Also coming back in the Byrdman/Go Buck Yourself deal: Vic Black, a hard-throwing AAA reliever. Possible future closer?

#4528 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Amazin' Avenue reports that Black had 63 Ks in 46 2/3 IP while logging an ERA of 2.51 in Indianapolis. Definitely a guy the Mets could use in their bullpen.

#4529 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

Please note that Mets are a half game out of having a protected top 10 pick in next years draft.  Sitting 11 at moment.   Come on let's lose enough games, cause they don't matter anymore.

Meaning they can sign free agents withoutlosing their pick.

#4530 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

:slamsphoneondesk:

#4531 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

The New York Daily News reports the Mets are expected to target impending free agent Shin-Soo Choo this offseason.

"Hearing Choo is the guy they like," a rival executive said last week. The Mets are looking to upgrade their outfield, but are unlikely to get in a bidding war for Choo. The 31-year-old is batting .291/.425/.472 with 20 home runs and 17 steals and will be seeking one final big contract over the offseason.

In other news
Jeff Wilpon is looking to have the Mets leave the WFAN.

#4532 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

The New York Daily News reports the Mets are expected to target impending free agent Shin-Soo Choo this offseason.

"Hearing Choo is the guy they like," a rival executive said last week. The Mets are looking to upgrade their outfield, but are unlikely to get in a bidding war for Choo. The 31-year-old is batting .291/.425/.472 with 20 home runs and 17 steals and will be seeking one final big contract over the offseason.

In other news
Jeff Wilpon is looking to have the Mets leave the WFAN.

I thought it was WFAN wanted to buy the Yankees, and the Mets have to look elsewhere.

I am a fan of Shoo.  Not too long term.  4-5 years ok, beyond that, pass.

#4533 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Looks like your right

http://www.nytimes.c...-mets.html?_r=0

Most often, the Yankees have come out ahead, winning eight World Series in that time as opposed to two for the Mets, and not stumbling into habitual losing or financial peril as their cross-town rival recently has.

Now the Yankees appear to have outdone the Mets again. Their new radio deal, when completed, will put them on WFAN Radio for the next 10 years for at least $15 million a year, according to an executive briefed on the negotiations but not authorized to comment.  WFAN could also carry the New York City Football Club, an expansion Major League Soccer team that is a partnership of the Yankees and Manchester City of England’s Premier League.

#4534 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Looks like your right

http://www.nytimes.c...-mets.html?_r=0

Most often, the Yankees have come out ahead, winning eight World Series in that time as opposed to two for the Mets, and not stumbling into habitual losing or financial peril as their cross-town rival recently has.

Now the Yankees appear to have outdone the Mets again. Their new radio deal, when completed, will put them on WFAN Radio for the next 10 years for at least $15 million a year, according to an executive briefed on the negotiations but not authorized to comment.  WFAN could also carry the New York City Football Club, an expansion Major League Soccer team that is a partnership of the Yankees and Manchester City of England’s Premier League.

I read this "rumor" back in May or April in the NY Daily News, Bill Raissman (or Mr. Potato head as Craig Carton calls him)  He said from a business stand point the Yankees will make whomever bought the rights would make money on the investment.

Now that the Pirates have broke their 20 year losing streak and the Royals broke their 9 year losing the Streak...  The Mets and Astors have the longest active streak for conssecutive losing seasons at 5.  When your team stinks, thenumber of eyes and ears listening or watching dwindle since there is no reason to watch.

BTW, Craig is the only listenable voice on that station.  I do like Boomer too.  May be Beningo because of his love of the Jets, otherwise, oofa!

I now have no reason to ever listen to WFAN ever again.  Wonder if the Mets end up on ESPN radio?

#4535 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Anyone check out Seinfeld last night on the tv broadcast?

#4536 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Anyone check out Seinfeld last night on the tv broadcast?

Don't get SNY in Philly.  :(

#4537 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I didn't watch the TV broadcast, but I listened to a bit of Howie & Josh in the car.  How was Seinfeld's banter with KGR?

#4538 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

BTW, Craig is the only listenable voice on that station.  I do like Boomer too.  May be Beningo because of his love of the Jets, otherwise, oofa!

I now have no reason to ever listen to WFAN ever again.  Wonder if the Mets end up on ESPN radio?

I like Evan Roberts quite a bit, prolly because he's a Nets fan. and Carton is a fraud.. "mets fans for yankees"  what a jackass.  I get his shtick, but he's insufferable more times than not.

#4539 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

I like Evan Roberts quite a bit, prolly because he's a Nets fan. and Carton is a fraud.. "mets fans for yankees"  what a jackass.  I get his shtick, but he's insufferable more times than not.

I agree, I do like Evan too.  

I like Carton and every bit of his schtick. 

#4540 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

I didn't watch the TV broadcast, but I listened to a bit of Howie & Josh in the car.  How was Seinfeld's banter with KGR?

One of the sports site's said it was decent.  That he was knowledgeable and funny.

#4541 gotroot801

gotroot801

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Helluva win last night. Even if we're in garbage time, I love seeing this team battle back like that.

#4542 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

Helluva win last night. Even if we're in garbage time, I love seeing this team battle back like that.

I didn't see it, but while I like it, I am more worried they will finish 11th in the draft again and hamstring them in signing free agents this off season.

Lets lose for Choo.  :lol:

#4543 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

daily news suggests they go after Tulowitski and his huge contract. They suggest D'Arnaud, Gee and Montero might get it done.

#4544 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

daily news suggests they go after Tulowitski and his huge contract. They suggest D'Arnaud, Gee and Montero might get it done.

Interesting but I do not like it.  He is injury prone, going to be 30 soon.

Plus he is still signed through 2020.  

Note, I liked the idea Miggy cause he was only signed for three years (end of next season, but they are already discussing an extension).

I do not like taking on that much money for that long.

All that said, he is a difference maker.

I like CarGo better. 

#4545 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Trading an injury-prone star for an injury-prone prospect.

#4546 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Trading an injury-prone star for an injury-prone prospect.

True, but that is still a lot of money and Montero could be very good (but I am resigned to the fact he is prolly the pitcher to be traded for a bat).

#4547 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

In case you were wondering whether McCann is an asshole or not. 

http://atmlb.com/1b9589V

#4548 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

In case you were wondering whether McCann is an asshole or not. 

http://atmlb.com/1b9589V

Mets better stop winning or we will end up with the 12th pick, not protected.  Meaning NO FREE AGENTS this winter (again).

#4549 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,356 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

I guess the back story is Malholm plunked Gomez earlier in the season. Gomez should have just kept his mouth shut and done a very slow trot around the bases. McCann, on the other hand, should have taken a Lohse fastball on the thigh later in the game. 

#4550 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

gomez was a bit out of line, but that doesn't make McCann any less of an asshole.