• Please log in to reply
4660 replies to this topic

#3201 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

oh, and Benitez will be wearing #47 for the Ducks. i find it most impressive that the Ducks have managed to sign (though many years apart) the two most hated closers in Metropolitan history from the same era...Benitez this week, and John Rocker back in 2005. now HE wore #49:

Posted Image

#3202 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

I may have to go to a Bluefish game when the Ducks are in town. :devil:

#3203 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

good interview with Sandy during the delay.

rain delays in the first couple of innings make any game a toss up. it's tough to ask the starter to come back out there.

they better get their shit together tonight though.

#3204 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

I may have to go to a Bluefish game when the Ducks are in town. :devil:

funny, i'm planning on bringing Ilya to a 'Fish game when the Ducks are in town. ferry ride is half the fun.

#3205 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Trading Miguel Cabrera not an illogical proposition

http://www.detroitne...205240438/1004/

Would you give up some of our young pitching for Miggy. I would.

#3206 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

no way. wouldn't go near that guy and his ridiculous contract even if we had the money to pay it.

just for entertainment purposes, where would he play?

#3207 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

no way. wouldn't go near that guy and his ridiculous contract even if we had the money to pay it. just for entertainment purposes, where would he play?

His natural position (First base) and a position of weekness for the current Roster.

I would be ok with including Ike in the deal.

And there is only 3 years left on his contract at 21, 22 and 22 million.

Again. I would do it because we would become a contender immediately.

Meaning this year they could actually win it all, if not def next year.

Put him and Wright next to each other in the line up and Wright could hit .400. Miggy his 324, 328 and 344 with 34, 38 and 30 the last three years.

#3208 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

PS. And he is only 29. Meaning when his contract is up, you let him walk away as a 33 year old player looking for more big money and collect the draft picks.

#3209 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

And in other former Mets news.....

The Yankees signed John Maine to a minor league deal.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1084634

#3210 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

not for me. i think the entire idea is awful.

winning it all this year or next? based on 45 games? Trading Ike based on production from 45 games? Trading the young pitching prospects? Spending 20+ million on one player?

that's a no for me on every question.

#3211 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

not for me. i think the entire idea is awful. winning it all this year or next? based on 45 games? Trading Ike based on production from 45 games? Trading the young pitching prospects? Spending 20+ million on one player? that's a no for me on every question.

Exactly. We've gone down these roads before & been burned pretty badly. I don't think we need to start throwing bags of cash at someone like Cabrera just yet. Yeah, he's off to a slow start but I still have faith in Ike. And i don't think the Mets can afford to start throwing money like that around right now.

#3212 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Rob Carson to Binghamton.

#3213 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Yes, Ike is struggling a bit at the plate this year, but he's playing a fine first base.

I'd give up NOTHING to strengthen the team as it stands right now. This team wasn't expected to playoff contenders. I'd most certainly NOT give up our young future pitching staff in hopes an old broken down veteran will perform in NY. We've seen that deal made time and time again and it never pays off.

#3214 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yes, Ike is struggling a bit at the plate this year, but he's playing a fine first base. I'd give up NOTHING to strengthen the team as it stands right now. This team wasn't expected to playoff contenders. I'd most certainly NOT give up our young future pitching staff in hopes an old broken down veteran will perform in NY. We've seen that deal made time and time again and it never pays off.

I agree that trading the future might not be the best idea, BUT Miggy is far from old and broken down. He is 29 years old. Contract runs out after he is 32. There is not to much comminment here. And he is still producing, uhm hitting 305, obp is 380ish.

I would rather pay him for 3 years, then sign most any free agent because any free agents will ask for more years and probably more money. It is a short term commitment, meaning the back end he will still be productive.

MIGGY is a stud. Ike might be a very nice player when it is all said and done, but no one on the Mets including Wright is the hitter Miggy is.

For that matter there are only may be 4 or 5 other players who are the hitter Miggy is. I want to win. And as you know my feeling is, this team can not win the world series THIS year. A move for Miggy, and how mediocre our division is, would put them right there to compete to win it all.

Again, alone on the island.

#3215 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

And in other former Mets news..... The Yankees signed John Maine to a minor league deal. http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1084634

Poor Maine. He really was signed to pitch on the minor league team.

#3216 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

not for me. i think the entire idea is awful. winning it all this year or next? based on 45 games? Trading Ike based on production from 45 games? Trading the young pitching prospects? Spending 20+ million on one player? that's a no for me on every question.

^this

#3217 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

IKE DAVIS with a two RBI hit!

PIITB!! :dance:

#3218 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

:ura1:

#3219 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

PIITB!

#3220 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Santana looked great today!

#3221 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I think Ike is getting his groove back.

#3222 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

a matinee victory tomorrow will put the Mets right where i want to see 'em towards that 7-4 or 8-3 homestand goal. nice bounce-back games after the tough rain show Thursday night.

#3223 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Why don't any of the other Eastern Division MLB teams have a 65-page thread with 3223 posts? :cheesy:

#3224 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Santana didn't goto 3 balls on any batter, all day. that's insane.

#3225 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

96 pitches to complete the game. Fun game to watch. Loved him making that last out himself.

#3226 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

Great outing for Dickey today!! The more I see of him this season, the more I like. And the happier I am that he's on my fantasy team. :thumbup:

#3227 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Wiggy comes back to haunt us.

:gah:

#3228 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

2.5 out of first, still in wild-card position. they're not winning many games where they surrender 6 rbi to any single player...get 'em back tonight and take the rubber game tomorrow.

#3229 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Agreed. You can't live and die by each games win or loss. You're going to lose games over the year. So long as they don't happen into a significant losing streak we're just fine.

That being said, if Acosta doesn't improve soon, i don't see 'em being on this team for much longer.

#3230 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

That being said, if Acosta doesn't improve soon, i don't see 'em being on this team for much longer.

Beato and Batista are both due back sooner than later. can't wait for that.

#3231 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Agreed. You can't live and die by each games win or loss. You're going to lose games over the year. So long as they don't happen into a significant losing streak we're just fine. That being said, if Acosta doesn't improve soon, i don't see 'em being on this team for much longer.

I don't live and die by the individual W or L, but I certainly :ura1: or :gah:.

:cheesy:

I can't wait to get to a game. The stadium looks beautiful with the blue outfield wall and the team in their traditional colors.

#3232 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Heard/read last night & this morning that he's being DA'd. Good riddance.

Turner has a sprained ankle. :(

Who else thought it was really weird seeing Wright playing SS?

#3233 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Turner has a sprained ankle. :(

I remember when Ike Davis had a sprained ankle. :bang:

#3234 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

Who else thought it was really weird seeing Wright playing SS?

This guy.

#3235 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Acosta DFA'd. Kang'd.
Quintanilla & Schwinden up.
@redturn2 to the DL.

Dickey is the N.L. player of the week. :clapping:

Tonight's lineup:

Mike Baxter, lf
Kirk Nieuwenhuis, cf
David Wright, 3b
Lucas Duda, rf
Daniel Murphy, 2b
Ike Davis, 1b
Mike Nickeas, c
Omar Quintanilla, ss
Jeremy Hefner, rhp

#3236 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Jeremy Hefner has as many HRs as Jimmy Rollins.

#3237 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

PIITB!

#3238 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

Jeremy Hefner has as many HRs as Jimmy Rollins.

Done on the anniversary of Seaver's 6th HR on day he K'd 16

#3239 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

6 games in to the 11-game homestand and they're 4-2. i called for 7-4 or 8-3, and we're looking at roughly 7.5-3.5 :lol:

gritty performance last night. i like that the grounds crew not only nabbed Hef's HR ball, but Johan signed a bat for the fan who caught it. not bad!

#3240 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

I'd take a signed Johan bat over a Hefner hit ball any day!!

#3241 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Tied for 2nd, 1.5 games back of Washington. Not bad for a team that's rebuilding.

Last year on this date they were in 4th place at 24-28 and 8.5 games behind the Phillies.

#3242 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

That would have put the Phil's last year at this time at 33-20? Even with this years numbers we'd still be 4-4.5 games behind the Phils of last year.

Alas, without Howard, Utley, and now Halliday, The Phils are far from the team they were last year.

#3243 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,802 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Yep, Philly was 34-20. The Nationals were 22-31.

#3244 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

I wonder how many games the Phils had vs the Mets, Nats, and Marlins by this time last year, as well as the wins vs losses.

#3245 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

I wonder how many games the Phils had vs the Mets, Nats, and Marlins by this time last year, as well as the wins vs losses.

look it up, you know how to use the internet. stop wondering, get workin'. :carla:

#3246 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Baseball reference will have any and everything you need to find that.

From Buster Only today for those of you who do not have the insider pass for ESPN.

In the summer of 2006, as construction began on Citi Field, the New York Mets ' payroll was a little more than $100 million. The beams and the walls went up quickly, and so did the club's payroll, as the Wilpons anticipated the windfall from the opening of their new ballpark and the strengthening of their network, SNY. New York's payroll climbed to $115 million in 2007 and then to $138 million in '08.

But then came a perfect storm of disasters for the franchise, from late-season collapses to calamitous injuries to, most notably, the arrest and conviction of Bernie Madoff at the same time that Citi Field opened. And despite Fred Wilpon's assertion that the Madoff situation would not affect the team's business, the club's payroll peaked and then plummeted in a record descent of about $50 million in one year -- from $143 million in '11 to $95 million this year.
The team's attendance, which ranked first in the NL in the last year of Shea Stadium, fell to ninth in the NL in 2011 and currently ranks 13th among 16 teams.
The Wilpons have hit rock bottom; their liability in the Madoff case was settled with the payment schedule defined. The Mets' current payroll is now about half of what the New York Yankees are spending across town and a little more than half of the Phillies' $172 million payroll.
So where do the Mets go from here?

They are moving forward, climbing again, and playing better than expected. After their victory against the Philadelphia Phillies on Tuesday, the Mets are 1½ games out of first in the NL East.
But as of today, there are no plans for the Mets to dive back into the marketplace and spend aggressively and restore their payroll to pre-Madoff levels. They are switching big-picture strategies, in fact: Rather than making moves designed to lure fans to their ballpark -- like the signing of Pedro Martinez and Jason Bay -- the Mets intend to follow a path created by their fans' investment. As the team gets better, and Citi Field attendance climbs, the Mets' payroll will grow.
It's a slow-burn strategy, and rival officials believe it has a chance to work under Sandy Alderson, because there is hope on the horizon. Zack Wheeler, the pitching prospect acquired from the San Francisco Giants for Carlos Beltran, is dominating hitters in the minors with a fastball in the range of 94-97 mph, and Matt Harvey is progressing in Triple-A. Jenrry Mejia, whose development was derailed in the past, appears to be back on track.
"Wheeler reminds me of a right-handed Matt Moore -- he's that good," said one evaluator recently. "He's got really easy gas -- tremendous stuff. You could see a situation where the Mets have Wheeler, Harvey and Mejia in the big leagues by the middle of June [2013], and they could have something building."
The Mets need help in the middle of the diamond, at catcher, in the middle infield, and they may make intermediate moves as they wait for the maturation of their core of young pitching. But they don't intend to throw around big money, sources say, and while there has been speculation that signing David Wright may require a 10-year investment, the Mets might be much more conservative in these negotiations than expected.

Wright is 29 years old and is competing for a batting title, but the Mets may well be looking to spend their dollars on power hitters, as they push forward, slowly. We'll see.
The Mets intend to make Wright an offer at some point, says Sandy Alderson.

#3247 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Nice article but it doesn't really say anything we already know.

The Mets, with half the payroll of the Yankees, have a better record than they do, yet there's no mention of that. Seems like all the writer of the article wants The Mets to spend a fortune on other people's talent. While it wouldn't hurt to have a bit more power, I think this team is doing just fine and shouldn't be looking to pickup other people's problems. Let this team of young players grow and develop. Give them a year or so and see how they do before we go out in the off season and free agents.

#3248 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Nice article but it doesn't really say anything we already know. The Mets, with half the payroll of the Yankees, have a better record than they do, yet there's no mention of that. Seems like all the writer of the article wants The Mets to spend a fortune on other people's talent. While it wouldn't hurt to have a bit more power, I think this team is doing just fine and shouldn't be looking to pickup other people's problems. Let this team of young players grow and develop. Give them a year or so and see how they do before we go out in the off season and free agents.

Well it confirms they will not be buyers of any kind this summer or offseason.

I can kiss my Miguel Cabrera dream. Or signing Cole Hamels this offseason.

#3249 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hamels will be re-signed by the Phils. There's no way they're letting their one homegrown pitcher get away from 'em.

#3250 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,653 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hamels will be re-signed by the Phils. There's no way they're letting their one homegrown pitcher get away from 'em.

I agree that they should not let him go, but I think he is a Dodger next year. Hamels Kershaw (left/right combo).

Then why isnt he signed yet? Or at least made an offer yet?

Ruben Amaro is quoted as saying, he finds it hard to belive that Hamels gets more money than Cliff Lee, because Hamels has never won a Cy Young.

The Phillies are afraid of going over the luxury Tax.

Living in Philly, the longer the season goes on the worse the feeling gets around here that he is actually going to sign.

Another reason, before the Cliff Lee contract the Phillies never went beyond 4 years on a pitcher. And he got 5. Hamels is looking for Santana to Sabathia money and length of the deal.

I think he leaves. I also think Victorino leaves after the season.