• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#51 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

what did you make, kel?

i'm not happy with my deodorant (no longer using antiperspirant), but i feel kinda stinky sometimes

i want to find a good kitchen cleaner (wipe down counters), i'm using 7th generation brand, but the smell is really strong. i don't like it.

so i look on line at all these products that claim to be plant based, "natural" and I really don't what to believe and what really works :undecided:

i'm using JASON brand (deodorant, facial moisturizer, and aloe lotion) and dr. bronners soap

does non-chlorine "bleach" really whiten?

oh and i just read shit about all the crap in your average pillow (that you laying your head on each night and breathing in), so i want to find good pillows.

i just really want someone who has really done the research to tell me what to buy :undecided:

#52 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:12 AM

I have a good laundry soap recipe.. you try the Good Guide, Chi? They have a nice ratings set up..

I am working on deodorant, sunscreen, insect repellent, facial cleaners, some winter intensive lip balms, black soap and vegan products!!!

#53 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

yay, nate!

i just looked up organic cotton pillows - holy bejeebus, they're like 30-70 dollars :eek:

i'll check out good guide

#54 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:20 AM

just stuff a bunch of clothes in a pillow case and call it a pillow... ha ha ha... there is also a good resource for soy products too if you want the info..

#55 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

just went to good guide! passed in on to a few people. thanks!

still weeding through research on soy - seems to have mixed reviews about how much is really good for you

it's all so overwhelming :undecided:

#56 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

i heart you guys so bad.

so glad i have this community :heart:

#57 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:13 AM

just went to good guide! passed in on to a few people. thanks!

still weeding through research on soy - seems to have mixed reviews about how much is really good for you

it's all so overwhelming :undecided:

If you want to read some old school research on soy, try
Jethro Kloss's Back to Eden.

Here is the link of the soy report and products:

http://www.cornucopi...-and-scorecard/

worth the quick read

#58 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:35 AM

I found a bunch of recipies for everything. I'm going to start making laundry soap, dishwasher detergent, dish soap for the sink, shampoo, wood cleaner & all purpose cleaner to start.

I haven't tried these yet but will review when I do.

Laundry soap:
1 bar grated soap (castile, fels naptha, etc), 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda (borax & washing soda are said to be found in grocery stores). Stir very thoroughly until a powdery mixture is formed. 2 batches fits in a large yogurt container. 1 tbsp per load - 2 tbsp for very soiled.

Dish soap:
2 cups castile soap (Dr. Bronner's, etc.), 1 tsp lemon juice or a few drops of essential oil, 1/2 cup water. Combine & mix well, put in a squeeze bottle. Shake well before using.

All Purpose Cleaner:
1/2 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup baking soda mixed into a 1/2 gallon water. Good for mirrors, counters, bath, etc.

Wood cleaner:
2 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice. Mix well & wipe on w/ large strokes to evenly coat.

Dishwasher Detergent:
1/2 cup castile soap, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp lemon juice or a few drops of essential oil, & 1/2 cup vinegar. mix together until blended. 2 tbsp per load. Shake well before use.

shampoo:
4 oz castile soap, fresh herbs, essential oil or lemon juice. Boil 2 cups of water & steep herbs for 30-40 min. drain, add essential oils/lemon juice & castile soap. Shake well. Has 1 year shelf life.

Edited to add: you can use castile soap by itself for almost everything too. We have been using Dr. Bronner's for years - mostly camping - but for dishes, shampoo, body soap, toothpaste (kinda yucky)

#59 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Check this out:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

you can type in a brand name, type of product (shampoo, baby sunscreen), or ingredient & it will tell you the toxicity of the product. I'm about to go throw out everything in my house! YUCK! :eek:

#60 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

thanks, kel!

i plan to make some of the products

i passed on that site to many friends. i did google the environmental group that compiles the research (wanted to see who funds them, if there might be bias), it did say some private corps do some funding. i'll look into it more but looks like it's on the up and up.

this thread has been so informative!

#61 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:27 AM

Check this out:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

you can type in a brand name, type of product (shampoo, baby sunscreen), or ingredient & it will tell you the toxicity of the product. I'm about to go throw out everything in my house! YUCK! :eek:

a great database for finding new stuff.

That laundry soap is great stuff.. Kel..

#62 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Heads up - Dr. Bronner's gallon jugs are on sale at the Vitamin Shoppe online for $30!!! :dance:

#63 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:41 AM

http://storyofstuff.org/cosmetics/

#64 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

Heads up - Dr. Bronner's gallon jugs are on sale at the Vitamin Shoppe online for $30!!! :dance:

I bet that's cheaper than buying it bulk at the co-op... right now I'm far too lazy to do the math. :lol:

#65 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

So I've started the clean out. shampoo, hand soap, body soap, baby soap out. Dr. Bronners in!! :clapping:

Next week, laundry detergent, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, household cleaners! :jamguy:

#66 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:43 AM

That's awesome, Kel!

trying to do the same here - switching over products one by one. no more flouride toothpaste, antiperspirant, tossed the pantene shampoo...

using seventh generation (until i start making my own) dishwasher soap, non-chlorine bleach...

I called my town to make sure the water is not fluoridated (it's not!)

(((healthy homes)))

#67 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

That's awesome, Kel!

trying to do the same here - switching over products one by one. no more flouride toothpaste, antiperspirant, tossed the pantene shampoo...

using seventh generation (until i start making my own) dishwasher soap, non-chlorine bleach...

I called my town to make sure the water is not fluoridated (it's not!)

(((healthy homes)))

We just started using 7th Gen dishwasher soap and we love it. I participated in a survey for them and got a box FULL of goodies- baby wipes, tampons, pads, toilet paper, 2 things of cleaning spray, dishwasher soap, dish soap and laundry soap.

Once I finish up my current toothpaste it's onto some Tom's and I am never going back to Crest or other toothpaste. :undecided: I've heard that stuff is seriously loaded with bad stuff!!!

#68 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

We just started using 7th Gen dishwasher soap and we love it. I participated in a survey for them and got a box FULL of goodies- baby wipes, tampons, pads, toilet paper, 2 things of cleaning spray, dishwasher soap, dish soap and laundry soap.

Once I finish up my current toothpaste it's onto some Tom's and I am never going back to Crest or other toothpaste. :undecided: I've heard that stuff is seriously loaded with bad stuff!!!

We've used Tom's forever - great stuff! Once you get used to it & try to switch back to Crest, etc. the popular brands taste awful!

#69 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:56 AM

Deodorant...http://www.vitacost....nt-Aloe-Almonds try it PLEASE

kitchen wipes http://www.shaklee.com/00312.html no sent!

#70 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the deoderant link. That's one of the next to go as well!

#71 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

it's awesome I swear by it!

#72 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:21 AM

i will buy the deodorant, erin. JASON brand doesn't do well according to kel's link. Toms of Maine scores pretty well.

FR, I gotta get in on that survey. lol

#73 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,521 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

Tom's of Maine toothpaste has sorbitol in it now :bang: i'm super-allergic to sorbitol, so that's a bummer.

i want to try Erin's deodorant. i don't like Tom's (it doesn't work for me and i really don't want to be the stinky kid in class) and though i like the crystal, it doesn't like me much. i keep getting scratched by it, after it wears down just a little - and the spray bottle gets clogged and just frustrates me to pieces in the morning, so that's not a good option either. :lol:

#74 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,521 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

I am working on deodorant, sunscreen, insect repellent, facial cleaners, some winter intensive lip balms, black soap and vegan products!!!

or i'll just wait for Nate to make more things that i love :clapping::clapping::clapping:

how's the black soap coming? and what are you doing with all the naked plantains? :lol:

#75 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

So I've started the cleaners - Vinegar/baking soda/water for windex - can't tell the difference!! Laundry soap & dishwasher soap both work great too & took me 2 minutes to make :jamguy:

#76 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

So I've started the cleaners - Vinegar/baking soda/water for windex - can't tell the difference!! :jamguy:

how much of each? what kind of vinegar?

here's another site:

http://shine.yahoo.c...-world-2393238/

#77 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

It was 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup baking soda & 1/2 gallon of water. It filled 2 windex sprayers. Smells & works the same. :jamguy:

#78 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

thanks, kel. buying ingredients today

#79 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,521 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Tom's of Maine toothpaste has sorbitol in it now :bang: i'm super-allergic to sorbitol, so that's a bummer.

i want to try Erin's deodorant. i don't like Tom's (it doesn't work for me and i really don't want to be the stinky kid in class) and though i like the crystal, it doesn't like me much. i keep getting scratched by it, after it wears down just a little - and the spray bottle gets clogged and just frustrates me to pieces in the morning, so that's not a good option either. :lol:

update: i found a Tom's toothpaste that's made with xylitol instead of sorbitol, finally!

and the crystal deodorant spray now comes in a couple of scented versions (lavender and pomegranite scents - i bought and like the lavender) and they improved the spray thingie so it doesn't clog anymore!

booyah! :Phishfolk:

#80 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:34 AM

they're all selling out :rolleyes:

http://www.organicco...ticle_17306.cfm

#81 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:35 AM

update: i found a Tom's toothpaste that's made with xylitol instead of sorbitol, finally!

and the crystal deodorant spray now comes in a couple of scented versions (lavender and pomegranite scents - i bought and like the lavender) and they improved the spray thingie so it doesn't clog anymore!

booyah! :Phishfolk:

thanks, jennie

i didn't even know to look for sorbitol

#82 annieL

annieL
  • VibeTribe
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

:coffee:Grandpa's vegetable based soaps are good and they're not too expensive.

#83 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

http://findarticles....29/ai_54189551/

#84 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

Good recipies. Thanks for posting.

#85 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Kel, I got the book (not just a pretty face). I decided to have all students speech topics this semester be about food and health. Someone is covering dangers of cosmetics! 44 students focused on dangers of what we consume and put on our bodies :v:

#86 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

Nate,

I am putting in an order for Christmas - I want to give the people I care about a care package for the holidays (nate's lotion and lip balm), and I'm going to buy dr. bronner's soap and a copy of one of the books i'm reading (Not just a pretty face or The hundred year lie or In defense of food). I think these are great gift ideas! Maybe even make some of the products you're making, Kel (I haven't done the recipes yet, still using seventh generation products)

let's talk, nate :smile:

#87 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

I thought about doing the same thing for gifts. The book is going to freak you out!

#88 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

Trying new dishwasher detergent. The other one leaves a film on the dishes. This one is 1/2 borax, 1/2 baking soda. They also suggest putting white vinegar into the jet dry dispenser. I'll let you know

#89 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

how's the new detergent, kel?

you should hear the speeches students are presenting about shampoo, amalgam fillings, corn syrup.... :eek: Two of my students have read Not Just a Pretty Face. I'm thinking of starting a group at my house. Have students interested come over once a week, cook a healthy meal and watch a video about these issues.

I just watched 3 documentaries about the american diet :one:

here's a good book - buying this and In Defense of Food as christmas presents (also giving Nate's products :)
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Green-Beauty-Guide-Essential-Fragrances/dp/0757307477/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287843452&sr=1-1[/ame]

#90 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

no photo for me china.

I have been doing some research into almagam fillings...fucking 50% mercury!!!!!!

Need to find out if my insurance will cover replacing all 7 of my fillings...totally explains the metalic taste i have in my mouth

#91 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

The new detergent is a lot better. I've got 2 books on the list to read about diet. One is In Defense of Food. Good so far. Nothing really new for me though. We've been eating 'whole' non-processed foods for a long time

#92 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

no photo for me china.

I have been doing some research into almagam fillings...fucking 50% mercury!!!!!!

Need to find out if my insurance will cover replacing all 7 of my fillings...totally explains the metalic taste i have in my mouth

erin, look into that because there are arguments that taking them out is very hazardous (releases mercury into the system). I don't know enough about it but I have heard the process of taking them out and the leakage that occurs can be worse than leaving them in.

http://www.dentalwel...amalremov2.html

http://www.mercurypo...com/should.html

#93 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

The new detergent is a lot better. I've got 2 books on the list to read about diet. One is In Defense of Food. Good so far. Nothing really new for me though. We've been eating 'whole' non-processed foods for a long time

finishing this tonight

so glad to have this group - it's comforting that others are on the same path

#94 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

I've never heard about it...Mama Kel may I suggest the Body Ecology Diet. It's what I"m doing for the candida overgrowth....it has a lot of applications though and some great info.

#95 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

yes you sent me that link a while ago - very interesting stuff! :smile:

#96 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

what's going on in here? any updates?

seventh generation dishwasher soap sucks.

i ordered nate's products for christmas presents :mrgreen:

#97 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

oh, my family has jumped on board and they are making lifestyle changes! brother hasn't had meat, dairy, or a cigarette in 2 weeks! mom is converting to less toxic cleaning supplies and beauty products. so, she stopped over this morning to tell me she bought the good soap i suggested. i asked, which one? she said, "um, the dr. boner."

boner :lol:

#98 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

i've been using kiss my face brand unscented liquid rock deodorant which i like a lot. i still sweat a bit, but i def don't stink like when i was using toms of maine (toms doesn't agree w/ me...i'm guessing it has something to do w/ my body chemistry). before that i was using nature's gate brand stick which worked pretty well, but sometimes it felt sticky so i switched.

for hand & body wash i use dessert essence liquid soap...i get a huge container for cheap from vitacost.com. never drys my skin out :)

method brand dish soap works well

i love boscia brand oil free spf 15 facial moisturizer (sephora). not sure how natural the spf is, but everything else is & it doesn't have any preservatives.

i can't remember which brands of cleaning products i use...i try to be mindful of the ingredients (yes, it can be quite overwhelming which ones to stay away from & i'm not sure if i'm always doing a good job :undecided:), but usually i'll buy whatever's on sale & doesn't smell too perfumey.

ya know, i don't think i've ever used seven generation products because they're always much more expensive than other natural brands.

btw, this thread rocks :)

#99 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,560 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

china- the coconut oil you gave me is helping clear up some seasonal acne/dry skin thing I get on my back. Thanks! :grin:

#100 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

coconut oil is all i use for cooking now. :smile: