• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

not that anyone should really be surprised, but now there's a study.

A new study suggests that people’s first response tends to be one that reflects a more politically conservative view. The study suggests “that political conservatism may be a process consequence of low-effort thought; when effortful, deliberate thought is disengaged, endorsement of conservative ideology increases.” In a statement released by the University of Arkansas, psychologist Dr. Scott Eidelman said, “People endorse conservative ideology more when they have to give a first or fast response.”
From The Huffington Post:

Bar patrons were asked about social issues before blowing into a Breathalyzer. As it turned out, the political viewpoints of patrons with high blood alcohol levels were more likely to be conservative than were those of patrons whose blood alcohol levels were low.

(H/T HuffPost)

#2 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,406 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Low-Effort Thought Promotes Political Conservatism Abstract

The authors test the hypothesis that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism. In Study 1, alcohol intoxication was measured among bar patrons; as blood alcohol level increased, so did political conservatism (controlling for sex, education, and political identification). In Study 2, participants under cognitive load reported more conservative attitudes than their no-load counterparts. In Study 3, time pressure increased participants’ endorsement of conservative terms. In Study 4, participants considering political terms in a cursory manner endorsed conservative terms more than those asked to cogitate; an indicator of effortful thought (recognition memory) partially mediated the relationship between processing effort and conservatism. Together these data suggest that political conservatism *may be a process consequence of low-effort thought; when effortful, deliberate thought is disengaged, endorsement of conservative ideology increases.

http://psp.sagepub.c....abstract?rss=1

* Then again, maybe not ;)

#3 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,495 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

politics promotes herpes

#4 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

yeah, prolly not... too much effort to think about it.

easier just to shoot a gun and say no to everything.

#5 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

... Bar patrons were asked about social issues before blowing into a Breathalyzer. As it turned out, the political viewpoints of patrons with high blood alcohol levels were more likely to be conservative than were those of patrons whose blood alcohol levels were low...

Perhaps this study doesn't really equate conservatism with low effort thinking, but just reinforces the concept that people are asses when they're drunk? OR that conservatives get drunk more often? I don't see how this equates to "low effort thinking" :dunno:

#6 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

I think the study is equating drunken thought to low-effort thought, and the study finds that when people are drunk, they think more conservatively.

It's probably impossible to prove whether drunken/conservative thought is higher or lower, but one thing for sure is that both thought patterns are similar.

In a nutshell, conservatives think in such a way that is similar to those who are alcohol impaired.

(in my opinion, this means they are in general rambling, incoherent, unintelligible, and belligerent - like Rush Limbaugh)

#7 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

I've seen plenty of drunk liberals (myself included) and they can be just as belligerent. And we've all had our own late night rambling and less than stellar posting moments on here. You were on a roll with them for a while :lol:

#8 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

I know what you're saying... but you can dissect anything to the point where it loses its meaning.

They weren't saying that liberals don't drink, but they were implying that even liberals would think more conservatively while drinking. (They are implying that drinking causes you to put less effort into your thought)

Maybe do this... take a quiz on how liberal you are before drinking, then take it again after drinking and see how it compares? Then, that wouldn't even really mean anything because you should have a large sample for the experiment to have any real meaning. And then there's the problem that all social experiments have and that is manipulation of the results by the participants. Somehow you would have to do a double-blind study, and I'm just not that much of an expert to think of a way... if there even is one.

How can you test a person's political views objectively and unintrusively?

I got it... the Google Breathalyzer...

that would be an awesome addition to every post... your G-BAC.