• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNew Rochelle, NY

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Yea, it's pretty fuckin offensive. Maybe it was funny at one time, but now its unoriginal and tired. I've been home most of the day and have been able to check facebook a lot today. And there have been a whole lot of "friends" of mine, many boardies, just outright completely disrespecting my religion today. Many people just making fun of Christianity on one of the holiest of days in the religion. Why is this okay?

Maybe it's me. Maybe i've just read too much of it today so it feels like piling on. And certainly the first few times I read it, i just let it pass by. Maybe I should just accept it as a low-class attempt at humor. Maybe I'm just extra-sensitve today. i dont know.

If you want to talk about the Catholic Church, fine. You want to point out the hypocrisy in right-wing Christians in an amusing way (or in anyway really), please do. But really, so many people just killing the religion itself in such an offensive way doesnt seem right. And I dont think it would be accepted if the situation was reversed.

#2 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

I have the utmost respect for the Catholic church for a multitude of reasons.

I see Zombie Jesus being part of a pop culture meme, and not an intentional batch of hate. If we can't laugh at ourselves...

#3 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,432 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

Posted Image

not really trying to be funny...just kinda wondering where your moral compass is on this...my mom posted it, shes wiccan

#4 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Posted Image

This was my favorite today. :lol:

#5 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:54 AM

I've found today on Facebook that most of the posts were pretty equally divided between "Zombie Jesus" posts and over the top christian posts of Jesus on a cross pictures... I think you might be over-reacting a little.

Put yourself in the shoes of a non-christian person who has to deal with a bunch of christian images today. Same thing, opposite side of the railroad tracks....

#6 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

I've found today on Facebook that most of the posts were pretty equally divided between "Zombie Jesus" posts and over the top christian posts of Jesus on a cross pictures... I think you might be over-reacting a little. Put yourself in the shoes of a non-christian person who has to deal with a bunch of christian images today. Same thing, opposite side of the railroad tracks....

Again, the figure of Christ has become a pop culture icon in many ways thanks to the web. I wish I had some good Passover jokes...:lol:

#7 moed_over

moed_over

• VibeTribe
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

Posted Image This was my favorite today. :lol:

Can't see it, blue square with question mark... :(

#8 moed_over

moed_over

• VibeTribe
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

&--#60;p&--#62;

Again, the figure of Christ has become a pop culture icon in many ways thanks to the web. I wish I had some good Passover jokes...:lol:

Q: Why do we have an Haggadah at Passover?
A: So we can Seder right words.

:lol:

#9 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

Fixed it...

Get me some Passover or Rosh Hashanah jokes...:lol: Unfortunately jokes about Jews are usually attached to stereotypes and not history or iconography.

#10 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,432 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

too soon?

#11 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

What's worse...Zombie Jesus, or being repeatedly told that I killed Jesus?

#12 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

Maurice and Sadie invited Nigel, their gentile neighbour for a Passover dinner. The first course was served and Sadie said to Nigel, “This is matzoh ball soup.”
When Nigel saw the two large matzoh balls in the soup, he was hesitant to taste this strange looking brew. But Maurice gently persuaded him to try it. “Just have a taste. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to finish it, honestly.”
So Nigel has a taste. He digs his spoon in and picks up a small piece of matzoh ball with some soup. He tastes it gingerly and finds he likes it very much. Quickly he finishes his plate.
“That was delicious”, says Nigel. “Can you eat any other part of the matzoh?”

:tumbleweed:

#13 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,432 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

did christians deliberately set dates of major holidays to undermine pagan days of celebration which were set thousands of years before?

#14 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,432 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

in before the move...

#15 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

I think you just proved my point by comparing the two.

#16 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

I think you just proved my point by comparing the two.

I was being facetious...

#17 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

I posted it this morning about 8:30am, didn't think it was the most original status update I have ever done, but I went with it. It's Easter and it was just meant to be somewhat intentionally provocative but not meant to be offensive. I tend to Blasphemy so you might want to unfriend my low class ass. Sorry you were offended.

#18 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,432 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

tolerance and compassion.

#19 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

tolerance and compassion.

What happened to humor?

#20 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,432 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

What happened to humor?

someplace in between?

unless you wish to upset the balance :devil: :lol:

#21 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

I subscribe to no holds barred cringe humor...I'm a terrible example since I find everything funny.

#22 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

You

I subscribe to no holds barred cringe humor...I'm a terrible example since I find everything funny.

You know, that's fine with me. It just seems like when a whole lot of people are making the same old joke it seems like piling on.

#23 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

Posted Image not really trying to be funny...just kinda wondering where your moral compass is on this...my mom posted it, shes wiccan

If you really care, I think it's kind of funny. Certainly based on truth.

#24 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

You You know, that's fine with me. It just seems like when a whole lot of people are making the same old joke it seems like piling on.

Again, it's become an internet meme. My wife is Episcopalian and you can bet instead of Happy Easter we say happy Zombie Jesus day. :lol:

#25 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,432 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

so do i... :undecided: so sometimes i fall on my face...its usually worth it :lol:

#26 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 29,937 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

so do i... :undecided:

IMO, it's the only way to get through life. Laugh first, ask questions and apologize later if need be. :lol:

#27 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,432 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

If you really care, I think it's kind of funny. Certainly based on truth.

i do :) just curious where ur limits were

#28 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,117 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:22 AM

Lords name in vain...booh

Haven't heard @ going to hell for Lord's name in humor...

Fire away....My God can take it :hoff:

#29 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

I don't get why the zombie jesus thing is offensive. Other than that it points out the absurdity of the christian resurrection myth.

"Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy."

#30 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,020 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

Two observant jews are having lunch in a park during passover. One is exclaming to the other that he thinks his Israeli matzah is better than the matzah available in america. A blind man was sitting next to them and he asked " matza? What is matza? One of the jews hands him a square matzah, and he quickly feels it and asks " who wrote this shit?"

#31 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,234 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Mom Tabbooma always says "consider the source" Seem to fit nicely with the tools that repeatedly post that shit

#32 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Mom Tabbooma always says "consider the source" Seem to fit nicely with the tools that repeatedly post that shit

Sounds like Mon Tabbooma has good advice <3

#33 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Same tired shit posted year after year.

You'd think that we wouldn't have to deal with it here but the enforcement of the "rules" seem to allow for the bashing of SOME religions.

#34 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

This was on facebook not here. Board rules don't apply.

#35 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

I think every one of the 'zombie' ones I saw on Facebook was written by folks raised Christian.

I certainly would not have posted it (and certainly not on Easter), but I'd take less offense at folks saying that about their own religion.

James, I read your post as saying this is aimed particularly at Catholicism. Do I read that right, and if so why do you think it's specifically aimed at Catholicism and not at Christianity in general?

#36 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

This was on facebook not here. Board rules don't apply.

It's also being done in this thread and it's been done in others numerous times

#37 James420

James420
  • VibeTribe
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think every one of the 'zombie' ones I saw on Facebook was written by folks raised Christian. I certainly would not have posted it (and certainly not on Easter), but I'd take less offense at folks saying that about their own religion. James, I read your post as saying this is aimed particularly at Catholicism. Do I read that right, and if so why do you think it's specifically aimed at Catholicism and not at Christianity in general?

No, you didnt read it right. Since I wrote it last night, i went back and checked. I did not write that it's specifically aimed at Catholicism and not Christianity. And while, obviously we have different friends, I did not find the trashing of Christianity on facebook yesterday was limited to Christians.

#38 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I don't see it in this thread nor have I seen others, but I have not read everything, wherever are these other examples?

*Edit I had images off, see now.

#39 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

did christians deliberately set dates of major holidays to undermine pagan days of celebration which were set thousands of years before?

Since they were being persecuted, early on the Christian holidays were celebrated on pagan holiday to "hide" them. It was much later on that they chose pagan holidays to assist with conversion.

#40 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

No, you didnt read it right. Since I wrote it last night, i went back and checked. I did not write that it's specifically aimed at Catholicism and not Christianity. And while, obviously we have different friends, I did not find the trashing of Christianity on facebook yesterday was limited to Christians.

You didn't write it explicitly, but I was thinking you were implying it. That's why I asked if that's what you meant. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

#41 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,117 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Zombie Jesus...no offense but if you are repeatedely told that you killed Jesus, I'm not really going to get bent out of shape on that.

but I might chime in saying I'm almost sure the DHJ did not kill Jesus ...cuz I'm that kind o' Christian :thumbsup:

#42 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,396 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Pontius Pilate killed Jesus, NOT the Jews. Cmon, people, lets stop with the victim card...no one is blaming you for killing our Lord, ok?

The real problem here is YOU SHOULD TOLERATE PEOPLE MAKING ZOMBIE JESUS JOKES, and should forgive them. Complaining about it is NOT what Jesus would dop...

Jesus never complained. He forgave them for NOT KNOWING WHAT THEY DO.

Where is your tolerance and forgiveness James420> WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

such a dumb thing to complain about, really.

#43 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,396 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Turn the other cheek, thats what Jesus would do. He would NOT start a thread about it.

#44 Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Posted Image

This was my favorite, Zombie Jesus Superman. I wiash this was a comic book when I was young.

#45 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,396 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Jesus was, technically, a zombie. I don't think the bible disputes this anywhere.

#46 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,711 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I am zero religious but still find zombie jesus fuckin stupid and unfunny regardless.

#47 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,117 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I don't get why the zombie jesus thing is offensive. Other than that it points out the absurdity of the christian resurrection myth. "Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy."

:rolleyes:

Posted Image

#48 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,711 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

I still find "religion" itself somewhat amusing though, in this day and age... do people honestly and truly believe there is a place somewhere below the surface of the earth that is made of fire and houses people like myself??

:eek:

#49 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,117 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

... do people honestly and truly believe there is a place somewhere below the surface of the earth that is made of fire and houses people like myself?? :eek:

is it any more amusing than to say the universe started from "nothing"?!?

besides how do you think the earth's core stays hot and magnetic...being fed the soles of sinners seems just as logical as any scientific guess work.

YOU FUCKING HEATHEN!!! :joker:

:funny1:

#50 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,711 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'm still trying to figure out magnets... please do not overload my sensors.