• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#101 Katwoman

Katwoman

• VibeTribe
  • 39 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma N.Y.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

David Crosby's autobiography... Long time gone.

#102 OpusX

OpusX
  • VibeTribe
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHartford

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Just started American Brother by Elisa M. Camara.

#103 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,684 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

i'm reading todd snider "i never met a story i didn't like".

funny! and i can hear his voice as i'm reading it :)

#104 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationHawleyville, MA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

I am (again) reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, in preparation for the new book on June 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#105 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Book 7 of the Dark Tower series. 

A re-read must every few years :)

I was VERY UPSET at how he ended it....I mean, really? Come on dude! 20 years in the making and that was the best you could do?

#106 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

rereading Ken Follett's Fall Of Giants before the next book comes out in a month.

Third book in September!!

#107 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

i just started reading the "a song of fire and ice" books so i'll see you all next year ;)

I am so afraid he is going to die before he finished the series.

#108 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Thanks for the tip Gregoir, it's a great book!

#109 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,684 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

i'm going to buy the new tom robbins book like any moment now. 

(actually probably more like tomorrow on my day off) 

:grin:

#110 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,131 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:16 PM

I've been terrible about reading books lately. 

Letting Go of the Words: Writing Web Content that Works

#111 melissaphish

melissaphish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Have also been reading the Jim Butcher "Dresden Files" series. 

#112 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,587 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

New Ideas from Dead Economists, Todd Bucholz
The Elegant Universe, Brian Greene

#113 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

Reading (listening to) Robert Jordan's The Shadow Rising.

#114 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

The Cosmic Web - Allan Colston

In the course of this book, the reader is taken on an extraordinary journey of the mind that leads to a new understanding of the world around us, and provides revelatory insights into the mysteries of life. As the author explains in the opening chapter:

"The central theme of this book is that each one of us spins a web of thought that becomes for us our personal reality. This web of thought creates the world we see around us, the creatures that inhabit it, the mountains and the seas, the forces of nature, as well as the vast cosmos of intergalactic space. Everything that we experience in this universe is a product of our minds. This cosmic web of thought becomes for us a paradise or a prison.

And because we ourselves have spun this web, each one of us is free to change it if we wish. We truly are the gods and creators of our cosmic playground, and the art of living becomes the art of spinning what we want."

By means of illustrative stories taken from the pages of life, the reader is shown how to reshape their own personal world into a fitting haven of their dreams, and how to escape from their prison of the past.

#115 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,684 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

that sounds cool. kind of like "the four agreements". in a way. we have the ability to change our thought patterns, break away from what have been taught and what has been imprinted on us. we have so much more control over our lives (thoughts, feelings, emotions, and what those "create") than we are aware of.

#116 Brian Jones

Brian Jones
  • VibeTribe
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

I managed to get a copy of Dragon Dawn by Deborah O’neil Cordes. I’m not really fond of it. Next in my list is Spin by C.D. Reiss.

#117 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Heal thyself - Stephen Joseph Pollitt

#118 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

Getting in the Gap: Making Conscious Contact with God Through Meditation - Wayne W Dyer

The practice of meditation takes us on a fabulous journey into the gap between our thoughts, where all the advantages of a more peaceful, stress-free, healthy, and fatigue-free life are available, but which are simply side benefits. The paramount reason for daily meditation is to get into the gap between our thoughts, and make conscious contact with the creative energy of life itself. Dr. Wayne W. Dyer explains the soul-nourishing meditation technique for making conscious contact with God, which the ancient masters have told us about.

You have the potential to be an instrument of the highest good for all concerned and to be a literal miracle worker in your own life. No person, government, or religion can legitimately claim to do this for you. “In fact,” says Dr. Dyer, “I agree with Carl Jung who said, ‘One of the main functions of formalized religion is to protect people against a direct experience of God.’” When you master getting into the gap and staying there for prolonged segments of meditation, and experience what you bring back to the material world, you will know your answer to the question: “Why meditate?”

#119 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,855 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:45 PM

Horns-Joe Hill. I guess it's horror satire not really sure how to describe it. Enjoying it so far.

#120 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,684 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

Chaga: King of the Medicinal Mushrooms

by David Wolfe

#121 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

You Can't Always Get What You Want: My Life with the Rolling Stones, the Grateful Dead and Other Wonderful Reprobates ~ Sam Cutler

#122 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,131 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:27 PM

On Highway 61: Music, Race and the Evolution of Cultural Freedom – Dennis McNally

#123 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Middlemarch - George Eliot

Middlemarch: A Study of Provincial Life is a novel by George Eliot, the pen name of Mary Anne Evans, later Marian Evans. It is her seventh novel, begun in 1869 and then put aside during the final illness of Thornton Lewes, the son of her companion George Henry Lewes. During the following year Eliot resumed work, fusing together several stories into a coherent whole, and during 1871–72 the novel appeared in serial form. The first one-volume edition was published in 1874 and attracted large sales. Subtitled "A Study of Provincial Life", the novel is set in the fictitious Midlands town of Middlemarch, thought to be based on Coventry, during the period 1830–32

#124 Trisco

Trisco
  • Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

Just finished Desert Solitaire. Boring at times, but I loved it overall. Arches & the surrounding area is a magical place with an interesting history, and Edward Abbey is brutally honest about the impacts of human 'progress' there.

Waiting for a copy of A Walk in the Woods to read next.

#125 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Just finished Desert Solitaire. Boring at times, but I loved it overall. Arches & the surrounding area is a magical place with an interesting history, and Edward Abbey is brutally honest about the impacts of human 'progress' there.

Waiting for a copy of A Walk in the Woods to read next.

Wait...you're reading Edward Abbey, and think we might be "batshit crazy"?

:funny1:

That book was a meaningful influence on younger me. That and The Monkey Wrench Gang.

#126 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

The  Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass

This is two trilogies that were released as a single six-book series   I am really digging them!  I started book 3 last night...  It's great when you finish a book you love and right behind it is another 700 pages of that story!  :clapping:

1. Wayfarer

2. Enchanter

3. Starman

4. Sinner

5. Pilgrim

6. Crusader

#127 Trisco

Trisco
  • Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:16 PM

Wait...you're reading Edward Abbey, and think we might be "batshit crazy"?
:funny1:

=D
I don't know if I'd call him crazy. He's certainly more extreme than me on many issues, even when I agreed with him in theory. But you'd have to agree that our 'civilization' is far crazier than he was.

#128 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:01 AM

Library finds for the day

A8E73D5B-6694-4FDE-953A-372BCEFE8E7D.jpg

I haven't read Delpit's "Other People's Children" but have heard good things.  Hopefully this will amp up my ambition to get a move on this whole teaching thing.

The baking book- thats just a goldmine... Best overnight cinnamon roll recipe EVER

#129 Roasted and Toasted

Roasted and Toasted
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationUnder a tent

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:14 AM

Ghost Boy by Martin Pistorius. Took me a while before I was ready to delve into this one. Though inspirational, not exactly uplifting.

#130 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science

Publication Date: March 15, 2007
An astonishing new science called neuroplasticity is overthrowing the centuries-old notion that the human brain is immutable. Psychiatrist and psychoanalyst, Norman Doidge, M.D., traveled the country to meet both the brilliant scientists championing neuroplasticity and the people whose lives they’ve transformed—people whose mental limitations or brain damage were seen as unalterable. We see a woman born with half a brain that rewired itself to work as a whole, blind people who learn to see, learning disorders cured, IQs raised, aging brains rejuvenated, stroke patients learning to speak, children with cerebral palsy learning to move with more grace, depression and anxiety disorders successfully treated, and lifelong character traits changed. Using these marvelous stories to probe mysteries of the body, emotion, love, sex, culture, and education, Dr. Doidge has written an immensely moving, inspiring book that will permanently alter the way we look at our brains, human nature, and human potential.

#131 Hugz4you

Hugz4you
  • VibeTribe
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

I just Started "Life After Church " (God's Call to Dissillusioned Christians) by Brian Sanders

#132 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:19 PM

Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic - Sam Quinones

Publication Date: April 21, 2015

In 1929, in the blue-collar city of Portsmouth, Ohio, a company built a swimming pool the size of a football field; named Dreamland, it became the vital center of the community. Now, addiction has devastated Portsmouth, as it has hundreds of small rural towns and suburbs across America-addiction like no other the country has ever faced. How that happened is the riveting story of Dreamland

With a great reporter's narrative skill and the storytelling ability of a novelist, acclaimed journalist Sam Quinones weaves together two classic tales of capitalism run amok whose unintentional collision has been catastrophic. The unfettered prescribing of pain medications during the 1990s reached its peak in Purdue Pharma's campaign to market OxyContin, its new, expensive-extremely addictive-miracle painkiller. Meanwhile, a massive influx of black tar heroin-cheap, potent, and originating from one small county on Mexico's west coast, independent of any drug cartel -assaulted small town and mid-sized cities across the country, driven by a brilliant, almost unbeatable marketing and distribution system. Together these phenomena continue to lay waste to communities from Tennessee to Oregon, Indiana to New Mexico.

Introducing a memorable cast of characters-pharma pioneers, young Mexican entrepreneurs, narcotics investigators, survivors, and parents -Quinones shows how these tales fit together. Dreamland is a revelatory account of the corrosive threat facing America and its heartland.

#133 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

Bella Fortuna - Roseanne Chiafolo

#134 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:20 AM

Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs - Johann Hari

It is now one hundred years since drugs were first banned in the United States. On the eve of this centenary, journalist Johann Hari set off on an epic three-year, thirty-thousand-mile journey into the war on drugs. What he found is that more and more people all over the world have begun to recognize three startling truths: Drugs are not what we think they are. Addiction is not what we think it is. And the drug war has very different motives to the ones we have seen on our TV screens for so long.

In Chasing the Scream, Hari reveals his discoveries entirely through the stories of people across the world whose lives have been transformed by this war. They range from a transsexual crack dealer in Brooklyn searching for her mother, to a teenage hit-man in Mexico searching for a way out. It begins with Hari's discovery that at the birth of the drug war, Billie Holiday was stalked and killed by the man who launched this crusade--and it ends with the story of a brave doctor who has led his country to decriminalize every drug, from cannabis to crack, with remarkable results.

Chasing the Scream lays bare what we really have been chasing in our century of drug war--in our hunger for drugs, and in our attempt to destroy them. This book will challenge and change how you think about one of the most controversial--and consequential--questions of our time.

#135 syd_25

syd_25
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Ct

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:46 PM

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law series

#136 mnash

mnash
  • VibeTribe
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

How to Build a Girl - Caitlin Moran. 

#137 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

I find myself returning to this text again and again...

The Lost Keys of Freemasonry, or the Secret of Hiram Abiff

by Manly P. Hall

Published 1923

http://archive.org/s...ument1_djvu.txt

#138 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are - Alan W. Watts

At the root of human conflict is our fundamental misunderstanding of who we are. The illusion that we are isolated beings, unconnected to the rest of the universe, has led us to view the “outside” world with hostility, and has fueled our misuse of technology and our violent and hostile subjugation of the natural world. In The Book, philosopher Alan Watts provides us with a much-needed answer to the problem of personal identity, distilling and adapting the ancient Hindu philosophy of Vedanta to help us understand that the self is in fact the root and ground of the universe. In this mind-opening and revelatory work, Watts has crafted a primer on what it means to be human—and a manual of initiation into the central mystery of existence.

#139 holysmokes

holysmokes
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:24 PM

Funny Mark Twain Quotes

http://politicalhumo...wain-Quotes.htm

#140 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,131 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:23 PM

I just finished 1984. I hadn't read it since I was in 7th grade. 

#141 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:33 PM

I just finished 1984. I hadn't read it since I was in 7th grade. 

I read that for the first time in the last few years.  Goes quite well with Brave New World.

#142 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,131 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Indeed. Now I'm reading Tom Sawyer. (Try not to play air guitar when you think of that title.)

#143 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 25,918 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:22 PM

:lol: