• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#151 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

went to the asian maket, need to stay away form that place :rotf:

made and froze 130 dumplings - 35 chicken/chili, 34 chicken/black bean+garlic, 32 pork/chili, 29 pork w/mushroom+oyster sause -
ran out of wrappers -still have more mushrooms, chives + scallions left.

also made some tuna/ spicy tuna sushi rolls - first time - not too bad but i need a much sharper knife.

#152 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

Tonight's dinner: Texas Chili!

I got the recipe from the Food & Drink magazine and it is sooooooo good! Posted here for other folks if you want to give it a try!

Got this simmering right now and OMG... It smells sooooo freakin' good!!!! :drool:

====

Unlike other versions of this family favourite, real Texan chili doesn’t contain beans or tomatoes. Instead, the beef is cooked slowly in a chili-spiked broth which is made even richer here with the addition of cocoa powder. It’s worth looking for canned chipotle chilies (most larger supermarkets carry them) as they add another layer of flavour and a touch of heat. Serve the chili in bowls and top each portion with diced avocado and onion, shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Cornbread is great on the side.

3 lb (1.5 kg) stew beef, trimmed of excess fat and cut into

#153 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

Just seared a beef roast and have it in the slow cooker with Italian dressing and onions. yumm. Making home made mashed poatatoes and mushroom gravy to go with it

#154 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

going to attempt buckwheat croquettes later this evening. Recipie seems easy enough.

I forgot how much I LOVE kasha!

#155 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

5 minutes 'till tonight's crab-boil is ready to eat - dungeness crab with fresh lemon and drawn butter, steamed asparagus, wakame salad and dragon fruit for dessert... Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc for the wine... YUMMY!

#156 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

Tonight's cooking adventure: Baigan Bharta! A smoked eggplant dish from India... Those babies are roasting in the oven now, can't wait to cook 'em up with the ohter veggies!!!

#157 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:02 AM

5 minutes 'till tonight's crab-boil is ready to eat - dungeness crab with fresh lemon and drawn butter, steamed asparagus, wakame salad and dragon fruit for dessert... Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc for the wine... YUMMY!

oh YUM!

#158 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:03 AM

Tonight's dinner: 2 glasses of red wine...

Sometimes by the time I drag my ass out of the office, that is all I really want :funny1:

Lola, let's plan holiday menu soon :heart:

#159 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

I hear ya on the wine... I always make extra and then freeze two-portion meals so that when I don't feel up to cookin' I can till get something good to eat!

Holiday meal planning - YES! I am sooo excited about that!!! :ura1: Oh, and we'll have to go and have a meal here: http://www.rhubarbonthelake.com/

#160 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:19 AM

Potato, apple and leek pancakes with a hint of habanero, topped with a few shreds of mimolette vieille*, and smothered in seitan dredged in herbed whole wheat flour, browned, and sauteed with mushrooms, onion, and garlic with a smidge of malt vinegar and a dollop of apple cider thrown on and cooked off. With a few brussels sprouts from the garden on the side.

A good hearty fall dinner, I say!

* just discovered this today in a local cheese case. dig it.

#161 reveur

reveur
  • VibeTribe
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

http://www.bhg.com/r...eef-short-ribs/

and pumpkin pie w/homemade almond whipped cream

#162 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

Kraft Dinner... B/c I am having a lazy day today! :funny1:

Think I'll whip up a lasagne for tomorrow night, tho... Spinach and mushrooms and lots o' cheese, yum!

#163 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

pumpkin pie w/homemade almond whipped cream

Almond whipped cream??!! :drool: You torture me, woman!!! :carla: (<< just kidding about the rock!)

#164 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

*** of lentil soup cookin' on the stove on this icy winter day.

#165 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

Baked "fish 'n' chips" tonight... Sooooo easy and sooooo tasty... I like to use salmon rather than a white fish.

Posted Image

#166 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

We are having tuna broccoli mac & cheese. :grin:

#167 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:59 AM

I made some ridiculously amazing stuff last week for a dinner I held.... here is the first post - homemade oreo cookies

http://carlastastytr...eo-cookies.html

Posted Image

#168 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

Carla, those cookies look gorgeous! I bet they are wonderful :)

#169 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

cookies!! they look really, really good...

i made a shepherds pie tonight for tomorrow nights dinner. :smile:

#170 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Shirred eggs in the oven, and warming up the toaster for some whole grain toast and homemade currant jelly to go with them.

#171 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

black beans cuban style over brown rice

and butternut squash pie :drool:

#172 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

Karen's artichoke dip recipe for tomorrow's super-bowl party!

#173 reveur

reveur
  • VibeTribe
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

french onion soup for :dhs: and later on ciabatta or just plain old white bread. depends on how motivated I am.

#174 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:26 AM

Seems I'm on a labor-intensive Italian kick this weekend. Gnocchi yesterday and Risotto this evening.

Gnocchi was ok. Risotto was bitchin'!

#175 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

Chicken mole enchiladas with plenty o' veggies - yum, yum!

#176 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

2 kinds of scones! 1 currant and 1 chocolate chip orange zest...sending some to my daughter at college in a care package:heart:

#177 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

Last night I made grilled chicken with gnocchi in a scampi sauce with basil. Deelish!
Also made a chopped salad of green leaf, parsley, bell pepper and marinated red onions.

#178 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,416 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

roasting brussel sprouts at the moment...looking for motivation to make turkey burgers!

#179 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

Mmm... Those scones and gnocchi sound deelish!

Tonight is aloo gosht - Indian lamb and potato curry - with brown rice, prantha bread, fresh garden salad and a bottle o' vino. :fork:

#180 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

Homemade French Onion Soup Gratinee and pecan pie.

#181 reveur

reveur
  • VibeTribe
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

mango/onion/rum/honey/lime juice/jerk seasoning/mustard sauce bubbling away on the stove for ribs

vermont cheddar mac & cheese, cornbread muffins.

#182 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

my first attempt at flexitarian *** pies tonight (some will have chicken and some will just be veggies)..... made the pie crust last night and roasted a chicken - just chopped up most of the veggies (using all the excess stuff to make some chicken broth while I'm at it too)

need to get my potatoes boiling and then start the "gravy" (going to do more of a bechamel sauce since obviously the veggies can't use real gravy)

I figure no one ever really said no to a cream sauce and pastry crust?

#183 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

Cream sauce and pastry crust - what's to complain about?! :mrgreen:

Tonight's dinner is masoor dal (red lentil dal with cumin seeds) and salmon bhapey (steamed salmon with crushed mustard seeds and tomatoes) with rice and pratha bread. Yup, Saturday night Indian feast!

#184 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

we have some leftover chicken wings and sauce from friday night. got a great recipe from a foody friend.

they turned out great!

Sweet Chili Chicken Wings – Serves 4

2 pounds chicken wings and drummettes
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon chili oil
2 teaspoons sriracha
2 cloves garlic, sliced
Kosher salt
Paprika
Five spice powder
Scallions

1. Season the chicken liberally with five spice powder, paprika and salt. Spread on a flat layer on a baking sheet and slide into a preheated oven at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.

2. While chicken bakes, mix the remaining ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Once it begins to bubble, reduce to a simmer and cook until it begins to thicken.

3. Remove chicken from the oven and drop the pieces into the sauce. Coat in the sauce, cover and simmer another 5-10 minutes until sauce gets thick and dark and coats the chicken. Remove from the sauce pan and sprinkle with scallions.

#185 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

I made some great meatloaf over the weekend with garlic croutons instead of bread crumbs and a honey/catsup glaze for the top of it

#186 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

Vegetable soup simmering on the stove.

Also making a turkey ragu to serve over spaghetti squash.

#187 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

left over soups from the soup swap last night....

we have:
split pea
minestrone
pasta fagioli
vt cheddar ale
indian seafood stew
thai hot & sour shrimp
wild mushroom and leek

(no left overs of the watermelon or the chili)

I can't wait to do another swap.... soup was fun but I read about another version where you just bring any homemade item ... so baked goods, breads, jams, soups, etc any food good to trade!

#188 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,150 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Made baklava this afternoon. Sticky honey yumness!

#189 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

Apple crisp in the oven for dessert and gnocci (not homemade unfortunately) with a basil and brown-butter sauce. Yesterday was eggplant parmasan and this morning was French toast with a blueberry-maple syrup sauce and crushed walnuts.

It's been a good cooking weekend. :)

#190 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Tonight - handmade spinach pasta in a romano cream sauce with asparagus, green peas, crisp bacon crumbles, basil, and lemon zest.

White wine. Rosemary focaccia.

2 hours to go... Yes, I am living for a kick-ass dinner and sweet, sweet cuddles this evening! :funny1:

#191 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

Made maple syrup/spiced rum baked beans last night... We got some fresh pork side bacon (not smoked not brined) and baked it with the beans... Tonight when i go home, I just have to caramalize two sliced granny smith apples, lay 'em on top[, bake for another half-hour, whip up a fresh green salad and then dinner is on the table... Yum!

#192 sillyolbear

sillyolbear
  • VibeTribe
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

Duck and foie gras sliders on herb rolls with port wine ketchup

#193 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

Sillyolbear, you know how to eat!

Tonight I made saag panneer for the very first time... I can't wait to eat it with spinach paratha once the rice and peas are ready! Green dinner tonight, good for spring! :mrgreen:

#194 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

Chopped salad tonight:

chiffonade of romaine with chopped parsley, scallions, cucumber and grilled chicken.
lemon, olive oil and oregano vinagrette
baked potato on the side

#195 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

this weekend I had my folks over for dinner... I have some frozen butter that I made from the roasted garlic and horseradish cream sauce that went with the christmas roast.

we put pads of butter in the middle of a burger, topped with melted mozz, roasted pepper and Worshershire sauteed onions. sides were grilled zuchinni (long bias cut, gas grill) and grill roasted potatoes (whole small yukon gold, offset charcoal)

it was delish!!!

#196 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

Just made super garlicky hummus with lots of tahini. Deeeelish! I like to use extra tahini to make it creamy and the more garlic the better!

#197 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

oh, last wekeend was smoked chix breasts. hickory / cherry mix, garlic and herb dry rub. threw some taters in there too (tossed in olive oil, and salt/pepper). steamed some corn in the cob on the gas (peel back, remove silk, get 'em nice and wet). I also charcoal roasted 4 heads of Garlic for a gravy.

My mom loves those ribs that come packaged in the sauce.. so I roasted / smoked them for app, too. (to redeem myself from cooking those, I'm gonna do some pork ribs this weekend) :lol:

#198 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

I've been learning to bake homemade bread lately... Right now there is a loaf of whole-wheat oatmeal walnut bread proofing in the oven. Nothing beats fresh homemade bread!!!

#199 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

lightly pan seared copper river salmon ( again :heart:)

#200 jme

jme
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

I made some cedar planked salmon the other night.. with lemon pepper. first time I used the cedar, i think i need to go higher on the temperature next time. charcoal was too thin for the job.

Also made a grilled tilapia and served it with a lemon basil vinegrette over the top. (http://www.tasteofho...sil-Vinaigrette) grilled zuch and taters ta boot, ta boot.