Hey Good Lookin'...

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#101 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

pretty much, added a star anise and peppercorn medley...gotta wait a few days to try 'em.

just got everything ready for fajitas tonight...using tenderloin, green yellow and orange peppers and vidalias...marinating for a while. guacamole's ready. cerveza's chillin'. happy hump day!
:smile:

#102 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

tonight's menu...rare sesame yellowfin tuna, brown rice and beet greens sauteed with garlic scapes - oh my yumminess!

#103 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

yum! I went to the fish store today and was eyeing the tuna but went with some softshell crabs, king crab legs and swordfish then the farmer's market for veggies - I ended up making a huge salad w roasted beets, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, red & white potatoes and cucumbers, sugar snap peas, tomatoes & carrots topped with one of my favorite cheeses. Topped a side of tuna salad & king crab legs

#104 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

oh and I got my kirbys and scapes for my pickling tomorrow!

#105 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

nice! that salad you made sounds a-ma-zinG!! :fork:

#106 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:14 AM

this weekend was amazing.... friday night was soft shell crab po'boys - saturday was lobster salad sandwiches and today I pickled (can't wait to try those out later this week!)

check it out http://carlastastytr...crab-poboy.html
Posted Image

#107 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

Ducken Roulade - duck confit, boursin cheese, baby spinach from our garden rolled up in chicken breast.

making a pan sauce with the giblets from the chicken, carrot, onion, celery, brandy and some duck demi and chicken demi that I made.

mashed taters, summer squash. cooking right now......:smile:

#108 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

win

#109 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

sounds like a total win dhs!

Jambalaya today - andouille, shrimp and chicken thighs :fork:

lemon basil cookies and rosemary biscotti are bakin' in the oven right now!

#110 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

cooking dinner for my daddy today as a belated father's day dinner.

Going to grill a salmon filet with a dill marinade

quiona stuffed peppers...yum!

and skewers with zucchini, onion, mushies, and tomatos!

yay!

#111 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

sounds yummy erin!

I have either fillet Mignon w pea risotto or dover sole w sugar snap peas & corn..... a little torn at the moment deciding which one will be for tonight and which one has to wait for monday

#112 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:38 PM

All of the above sounds absofuckinglutely delightful!!!!

I haven't been cooking in some time... Tonight I've got a big kettle of homemade spaghetti sauce with sliced leftover BBQ striploin simmering away on the stove, spiced with home-grown herbs picked straight from the garden... Will be served with freshly torn basil leaves, freshly grated romano cheese and a good red wine... Should be good to go in another 2 hours, yum!

I also have two bulbs of garlic roasting in the oven for tomorrow nights' wine & cheese date. :smile:

#113 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:16 AM

Neptune Potatoes - baked red 'taters split open and topped with a bit of butter, shredded extra-old white cheddar cheese, diced avocado, chopped green onion and tomatillo salsa verde, served with a good IPA.

This is one of my favourite simple dinners!!! :mrgreen:

#114 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:43 AM

that sounds nice.... i am still on the road tonight.... just had some eh sushi... not the worst but def not the best

can't wait to get up to my parents house and cook up a storm w my aunt!

#115 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

never heard 'em called neptune taters - sounds really good!

2 nights ago dinner, from harvest to table - taters with chives n parsley, beets and swiss chard with seared sesame tuna...
Posted Image

#116 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

never heard 'em called neptune taters - sounds really good!

2 nights ago dinner, from harvest to table - taters with chives n parsley, beets and swiss chard with seared sesame tuna...
Posted Image

I am drooling!!!

tonight I"m making spicy noodles ala randiddy!

and maybe some satueed shrimp to top it...maybe

#117 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

that looks sooooooooooo good.

erin, how did the noodles turn out? :)

#118 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

Randy so freaking good...although the 'sauce' became more of a paste....any idaes on thinning it out? The rice noodles are very wimpy and break while mixing it...I may try regular gf noodles.

#119 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

wow, delicious dinner last night...tho' i didn't really eat it until this morning-many beers and raindancing got in the way of eating.
i used this recipe for beef satay with peanut sauce http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html with a few tweaks: extra lime and lime zest, powdered coconut instead of the milk and lots of fresh cilantro. i used flat iron steaks that i froze slightly in order to slice it thin. really a wonderful recipe!

#120 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

homemade falafels for supper tonite - delicious!

#121 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

i've been in such a cooking mood lately! got a pork shoulder in the slow cooker with onions and jones cane cola! gonna pull tonight and slather it in homemade bbq sauce...finger lickin' awesome! homegrown homemade coleslaw and prolly some beers, prolly.

smells good already!

#122 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

I haven't been cooking lately but tonight's dinner is teriyaki glazed oven-baked marlin steak, steamed swiss chard served with a sprinkling of gomashio and fresh lemon zest/juice, sweet-as-sugar corn-on-the-cob and garlic bread and a glass of unoaked chardonnay from Niagara.

Gonna watch a flick when we're done with the good eats. :mrgreen:

#123 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

trying to use up the rest of the veggie before we leave for camp!

swordfish in cilantro shallot viniagrette marinade w sides of spinach, fava beans and corn

#124 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

Surf n' Turf

Lobster
Filet Mignon Au Poivre
Mashed Taters
Sugar Snap Peas

#125 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

waiting for the liq. to boil

Peppadew Pickled Peppers
Cut off stem and deseed unless you want burning hot peppers. It's best to use surgical gloves, as the peppers can make your fingers burn. Cut off the stem end and scrape out the seeds with a small teaspoon. Try to remove all the seeds. Dissolve about 4 tablespoons sea salt in just over 2 cups water. (We have metric measurements: 60g salt to 600ml water.
In another submission of this recipe, the author gave the following instructions: Leave overnight in a brine consisting of 2 ounces kosher/coarse salt and about 2 1/3 cups water). Drop peppers into brine after deseeding, and leave them in for a few hours or overnight. (Increase brine mixture according to volume of peppers!) Put a plate or other weight on top if necessary, to stop them from bobbing on top.
Before continuing, be sure your jars, caps and rings are very clean and sterilized in boiling water. Leave in the hot water until ready to fill the jars.
Syrup ingredients:
1-1/2 cups good vinegar, grape or wine or malt (5% acetic ****)
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
a few pieces sliced fresh ginger
some fresh garlic cloves
2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns (the mixed peppercorns are nice)
some bay or lemon leaves
a little sea salt
Additional ingredients: 2 whole green chili peppers, reserved, optional extra small whole green chili peppers for garnish
Combine the syrup ingredients in a non-reactive *** that is large enough to hold the peppers. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Then bring to a rolling boil. Take care, as the mixture does foam up a bit.
In the meantime, rinse the brined peppers. Place in a colander or sieve and shake to remove as much moisture as possible. Add the peppers along with the green chili peppers to the boiling syrup. Boil for a minute or two. Use a slotted spoon to fill the jars with the peppers. Push them in; you want to fill the bottles nicely! Then pour over the boiling hot mixture. Use a small rubber spatula along with gentle tapping and rotation of the jars in to fill the pepper hollows with the syrup. You can add a green chili to each jar for decorative purposes if you like. Final filling should be to 1/2-inch of the top. Wipe the rims of the jars. Cap the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet, 15 minutes from altitudes of 1000 to 6000 feet, and 20 minutes above 6000 feet. Leave for about 2 - 3 weeks before use.

#126 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

I'm in a cooking mood and with friends coming over tonight, that is indeed a good thing!

On the stove right now: homemade veggie soup to be packaged up for quick meals during the week.

Next project, and what we shall be dining on tonight: simple cream pasta with lemon and basil and chocolate silk tarts for dessert.

A napa cabbage also followed me home from the market so you know what that means - yep, homemade spicy kimchi pickle - yum!

#127 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:22 AM

Feeling lazy tonight, and threw together Tahini and plum (off the tree out back) sammiches on whole wheat bread with a little Sriracha drizzled on 'em and walnuts on the side.

Yum!

#128 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

I made a 2 "salads" today for a friends BBQ.... figured she had her hands full with all the meaty goodness!
chopped tomato caprese (tomato, mozz, basil, canellini beans, evo, salt, pepper, garlic)
roasted veggies (zucchini, red peppers, red onion, red potatoes & green beans all in vinaigrette dressing)
and 2 dips
eggplant tapenade (suppose to just be roasted eggplant for the veggie dish but I might have killed it when trying to get it off the pan so I immersion blender'd it w some olives, salt, pepper, parsley, garlic)
chimichurri (parsley, EVO, salt, pepper, crushed red flake, garlic)

#129 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,795 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

Wistful meal in the oven right now.

The last of this year's eggplant and zucchini, sauteed with garlic, tomatos, banana peppers basil and parsley, then folded into a cornmeal and parmesan dough.

Summer's gone by so fast this year...

#130 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

Just home from the grocery and in a cooking mood... So far I've got Nigerian Baked Beans on the go (curry spices and peanut butter - I love how African cooking uses peanuts, so crazy good!) and Lamb Rogan Josh... I'm making these to sit for a few days and be meals later on, so for dinner tonight I am having a vegetarian cassoulet, spinach sauteed with chick peas and a nice fresh ciabatta loaf, sipping on some chenin blanc as I cook.

Bitchin' kitchen tonight, yum! :mrgreen:

#131 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

I made a chicken cheese enchilada casserole for my gf's dads birthday yesterday that went over very well. i was like Emeril for a day:lol:

#132 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

Kurobuta Baby Back Ribs smoked in the Orion. Finished on the Grill with Dr. Strangehat's Love Sauce

Corn on the Cob. Macaroni Salad.

#133 chrispy

chrispy
  • VibeTribe
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

i don't cook in.... i prefer to eat out:crazy:

#134 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

Spare ribs in the crocker on low all day. Some form of potatoes and broccoli as sides

#135 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

yesterday I roasted a whole bunch of veggies for dinner (so happy for all the winter squashes coming out!).... but more excited for the chicken stock that I made - that is going to be soup tonight

#136 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

ended up getting a lb of LBI scallops from the fish guy at the farmer's market... I couldn't resist! he hasn't been there all summer and when I saw him last night I was just all yes please may I have another! he gave us a few oysters to try out as well bc we had a long convo about shucking oysters vs clams

#137 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

Mmmm... Scallops... And it is oyster season again, I think there are some Oysters Rockefeller in my near future! :drool:

Tonight's dinner - Vietnamese stir-fried beef with rice noodles topped with raw carrot and cucumber, fresh basil and mint from the garden... The beef is marinating in chopped fresh garlic and ginger, thick-sliced onions and scallions, soy sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil... Gah, dinner can't come quickly enough for me right now, but I have a half-hour before the marinade will be done it's job.

#138 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

I'm excietd for tonight's dinner... I didn't make it last night b/c after helping my friend move and getting home at 9:30pm, I was too tired to cook... So, tonight is teriyaki salmon with grilled veggies and rice... Yum, I have been on a big teriyaki kick of late!!!

#139 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

This stew is simple and damn good. Who can argue with beef, bacon and beer besides vegetarians :lol:
http://allrecipes.co...tew/Detail.aspx

#140 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

Duck! Got two duck breasts sizzling in the pan for tonight... Cous-cous and some veggies to round it out!

#141 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

spicy, curried butternut squash soup with sweet potato and carmelized onion 'panini' (cheese optional - i'd use goat)

i don't do recipes so this is more of a ramble, really...but it'll pay off if you're patient enough to follow my ramble :lol:

- cut one washed butternut squash in half lengthwise and seed it - reserve seeds for roasting/garnishing soup
- place in oven-safe baking dish (cut into smaller pieces if needed to fit)
- season with salt, pepper, and garam masala (or curry powder, or both)
- add liquid to a depth of 1/2 inch. i used veggie stock but you can use chicken stock or water
- bake until tender, 45 minutes or so. remove from oven and allow to cool for easy peeling

i like my food spicy, so while i had the oven on i roasted a bunch of fresh cherry peppers i had on hand along with a couple of red bell peppers, and threw them into a paper bag to steam while the squash finished baking. i peeled and seeded them and once the squash was cool enough to handle, peeled that too, then added everything to a soup *** along with the veggie stock left in the roasting pan.

i blended that together, along with a few carmelized onions/garlic reserved from the paninis i served with the soup (see below). i used my immersion blender until everything was smooth and well-incorporated.

i took that to the stove, put it on medium heat, and whisked in about 20 ounces of hemp milk (but you can use less if you prefer half and half or regular milk) and brought it up to a low simmer.

next, i adjusted for seasoning. it seemed a little bland for me even with the garam masala, so i added some curry powder and let that simmer until it lost that raw curry taste. last, i added some fresh thyme because i love fresh thyme and wanted something green but not too overpowering (like cilantro would have been). oh, and lots of ground cumin.

i garnished the soup with the toasted squash seeds (though i would only add them at the very last second or serve on the side next time...toasted seeds un-toast when they are added to something wet, who knew???) and some fried papadam straws. papadams are a thin Indian cracker/flatbread you can buy from any Indian grocery store, and they crisp up nicely when fried. the ones i used had whole cumin seeds in them and added a lot of flavor and texture to the soup when i served it the other night! i used scissors to cut them into thin strips before tossing them into a half inch of hot vegetable oil in a frying pan.

you can use pre-made salad croutons for crunch instead of either of those things if you prefer. i had some with my soup for lunch today, and they were really good.

i made a sweet potato and carmelized onion panini on garlic/cilantro naan (again, Indian grocery - frozen section) to go with the soup the other day, but pretty much any kind of quesadilla or panini sandwich you like would be great, too.

you can also make this soup entirely on the stove top by simmering peeled, seeded squash with your stock and onions until tender. but i already had my oven going for the roasted peppers and sweet potatoes, plus i really like the intense flavor you get when you roast things like butternut squash and sweet potatos instead of simmering them.

#142 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

I made sort of a hybrid chili/ beef stew this weekend.... kinda of beef stew-y in testure but with beans & tomato so chili flavors

about 1 lb cubed beef round seasoned w salt, pepper, beef blend & chipotle then browned off
into the crock *** with:
garlic
onion
hot chili pepper
purple bell pepper
3 carrots
3 celery
2 cans of tomatoes - smushed up (san marzano... they really are better!)
2 can drained rinsed red kidney
1 can drained rinsed black beans
chipotle, cayenne, cumin, tumeric, all spice, salt & pepper
added 2 c sliced mushrooms & cilantro in the last hr

served it up after about 5 hrs on high w plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) & shredded cheddar

some cubed potato would have been really nice but I wanted to keep it a little less carb-y

#143 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

thuggie, that sounds bangin. you can feed me anytime :)

#144 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

trying beef stir fry tonight for the first time. got all my fresh indergiants at the market and have my beef marinating. yummy

#145 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

i made leftover meatloaf stir-fry last week. i kid you not.
had all these fresh veggies and no protein for my stir-fry, so i marinated the last hunk of meatloaf in some soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic... chopped it up and added it to my stir-fry :lol:

was actually pretty damn good!! :)

#146 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

my stir fry was most excellent. kind of time consuming from teh prep standpoint since it was my first time but definitely worth. it. can't wait to have teh leftovers for lunch

#147 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

Just set up some green pea soup in the slow cooker. It's a super easy recipe, just layer the peas, some ham, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and 1-5 quarts of water in the slow cooker and voila - five hours later some delicious hearly soup! BTW - Ham is totally not necessary and this soup comes out great without it. I include it because my husband is a big ole' cornfed midwestern boy who loves ham. :)

#148 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

Deelish! We had this soup for dinner last night with garlic bread and I just had a bowl with some crackers for lunch.

:v:

#149 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Diddy's mama made a giant london broil, and gave us 1/2 to take home! yum!! i just had some sliced steak (YESSSS, MEAT!!!!) with red leaf lettuce, fresh beefsteak tomato, and ranch dressing all wrapped up in a giant piece of lavash. HEAVEN!!!!!!!!! sometimes the simplest meals are the best ones.

#150 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Breakfast: oatmeal with chopped apple, maple syrup, walnuts and cinnamon.

Lunch: killer sammich made with 12 grain bread spread with roasted-garlic butter on one side and grainy Dijon mustard on the other, roasted turkey breast (leftover from Thanksgiving) thin-sliced red apple, havarti, and a light sprinkling of freshly ground salt pepper... Wrapped in tin-foil so I can get it wall warm and melt-y on top of my kiln while at the studio today! :mrgreen: