Hey Good Lookin'...

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#1 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

You guessed it - this is the What'cha Got Cookin'? thread!!!

I've got picked okra cooling on the stovetop and waiting to be jarred and a big ol' cast-iron skillet filled with homemade brownies with chopped walnuts and chocolate truffles baking in the oven.

Sure smells good in here! :mrgreen:

#2 drvic

drvic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:08 AM

breakfast for dinner!
2 eggs over easy, bacon and rye toast

#3 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:23 AM

Looooooooove the rye toast!

I'm just digging into the brownies now... Verdict: DELICIOUS!!! :v:

Okra will have to wait another week or so...

#4 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

I made this last week. It was so good. Lots of leftovers

Spinach and Mushroom Chicken is great for the main dish when throwing a little get together. It is not a common dish, and shows your guests you've put some effort into the meal. They will appreciate all the trouble you've went to. Try this dish the next time you want to impress guests with your culinary abilities.

Difficulty: Moderately EasyInstructionsThings You'll Need:

4 lbs. boneless chicken breast
1 lb sliced mushrooms (cooked)
2 jars of marinated artichokes
3/4 bag of spinach
Fresh garlic
1 tomato sliced
1 8 oz. bag of mozzarella cheese
Baking pan
Boiling pan
Spoons

Step 1-Cook mushrooms until tender.

Step 2-Get together boneless chicken breast, mushrooms, artichokes, garlic, and all cooking implements.

Step 3-Place boneless chicken breast in bottom of baking pan. Add sliced mushrooms, spinach and garlic. Drain the artichokes and save the marinade. Put the artichokes themselves on top of all other ingredients. Pour marinade over the top of everything. Place in the refrigerator to soak all night.

Step 4-Take the dish out the next day and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Step 5-Add tomatoes and cheese and then cook for 20 more

#5 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Dang, I would've taken the chicken breasts out of the freezer this morning if I'd seen this before leaving the house - as it stands, tonight's guest is getting homemade pizza which is yummy, but it's have been cool to try something new. Then again, with the overnight marinating I guess it wouldn't have worked out for tonight anyways...

it's on my hit-list, thanks for posting.

#6 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Dang, I would've taken the chicken breasts out of the freezer this morning if I'd seen this before leaving the house - as it stands, tonight's guest is getting homemade pizza which is yummy, but it's have been cool to try something new. Then again, with the overnight marinating I guess it wouldn't have worked out for tonight anyways...

it's on my hit-list, thanks for posting.

i prepped mine in the morning, 7am or so and left it in refrig until 5:30 that night. worked fine:smile:

#7 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

thats pretty close to what I made last week -- chicken, spinach & mushroom melt

http://carlastastytr...hroom-melt.html

I have some pork tenderloin defrosted (was suppose to be last nights dinner but we ended up just having some snacks and then getting dinner at the bowl)

I have some left over rice from tues night so I think I am going to make an asian style fried rice (even though I have black wild rice not white) w some peppers, scallions, egg etc and then roast the pork w a sweetish marinade as I am going to serve w a mango salad on the side as well

#8 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

That chicken dish sounds awesome and super easy! I love anything that I can throw into the oven with no prep since I did it the night before.

Tonight we're going out for pizza since hubby is out of town. I can't wait.

#9 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

I am a mushroom freak. Any other favorite recipes with mushrooms?

#10 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

Tonight, pasta with red sauce and homemade merguez sausage. This where I miss my immersion blender the most. Would rather make my own sauce instead of out of the jar.

#11 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

I have a portobella w fresh mozz & spicy arrabitta sauce coming up at some point this week or early next...... probably some kinda stuffing made w peppers onions & bread crumbs in the mushroom caps ...into the oven for a bit then topped w the cheese and sauce

enchiladas are another really good one http://carlastastytr...shroom-and.html

or chicken marsala....I LOVE this one and use to eat it WAY too often http://carlastastytr...-fettucini.html

#12 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

sweet. thanks. i need to study your blog:smile:

#13 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

i made a kickass risotto one night this week with porcini and shiitake mushrooms. i added fresh thyme, shallot, garlic and asiago and parmigiana regiano cheeses. i used the water i reconstituted the mushrooms in and just added stock to make up the rest of the liquid. it was delicious!

i like making grilled veggie stacks with portabellos as the base, then layer roasted red peppers, yellow and green squash, carmelized onions, and whatever other veggies i have on hand, with a bit of goat cheese as the 'glue' between some layers. everything gets grilled in advance and then just baked off with the cheese until hot and melty.

i love stuffing large-ish criminis (so, mini portobellos) with a mixture of bread stuffing, whole grains and aromatic veggies with some fresh herbs and seasonings and sometimes cheese and baking or sauteeing them until soft and juicy. i change up the ingredients all the time but a good one is pepperidge farm multigrain stuffing cubes, Near East wheat pilaf, carrots, onions, celery, thyme and garlic. oh and goat cheese...are you sensing a pattern here? :lol:

#14 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

awesome thanks so much. my dad ran the office over at the Giorgio Mushroom Plant for 30 years so i am very familiar with all *******(did a lot of experimenting of my own as well)

trying the marsala sauce rtight now

#15 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

Enchilada Night! 4 rolled tortillas filled with shredded poached chicken breast, fresh spinach, diced fresh 'mato, extra-old shredded cheddar, and slivers of sweet red pepper, topped with my cumin/corriander/chipotle sauce and more cheese, baking in the oven as we speak! :drool:

#16 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

The marsala was great. I added extra mushies and a little extra wine.

Last night i made a decent meal.

Boneless skinless chicken with ranch dressing and rosemary roasted potatoes. Just mix half a cup of lowfat ranch and 2 tbsp of flour together. coat chicken with that. Cut red potatoes in half and add 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of rosemary, salt and pepper to taste and mix together. Throw both things in baking dish at 375 for 45 minutes. Easy and very tasty:smile:

#17 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

Ooooh... Ranch chicken and tater's sounds dee-lish!

I'm hungry now... :undecided:

#18 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

hey good lookin' back atcha!:wink:

imma makin a lasagne for dinner tonight!! extree cheesez, home-made sauce, homegrown garlicky goodnesses

#19 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

I made this last week. It was so good. Lots of leftovers

Spinach and Mushroom Chicken is great for the main dish when throwing a little get together. It is not a common dish, and shows your guests you've put some effort into the meal. They will appreciate all the trouble you've went to. Try this dish the next time you want to impress guests with your culinary abilities.

Difficulty: Moderately EasyInstructionsThings You'll Need:

4 lbs. boneless chicken breast
1 lb sliced mushrooms (cooked)
2 jars of marinated artichokes
3/4 bag of spinach
Fresh garlic
1 tomato sliced
1 8 oz. bag of mozzarella cheese
Baking pan
Boiling pan
Spoons

Step 1-Cook mushrooms until tender.

Step 2-Get together boneless chicken breast, mushrooms, artichokes, garlic, and all cooking implements.

Step 3-Place boneless chicken breast in bottom of baking pan. Add sliced mushrooms, spinach and garlic. Drain the artichokes and save the marinade. Put the artichokes themselves on top of all other ingredients. Pour marinade over the top of everything. Place in the refrigerator to soak all night.

Step 4-Take the dish out the next day and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Step 5-Add tomatoes and cheese and then cook for 20 more

Mmm! I want! :drool:

#20 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

crujones....here is a link to my post for the portobello caps... I ended up making 3 versions, one vegetarian (no chicken sausage in the stuffing), 2 "normal" and one with no mushroom base

http://tinyurl.com/yk7bk97

Posted Image
Twice Stuffed Portobello Cap
4 large portobello caps - washed with gills removed
1/2 red pepper - finely diced
1/2 green pepper - finely diced
1 shallot - finely diced
1 c course ground bread crumbs (or panko)
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil
(optional 1 c chicken sausage meat)
1 can canellini beans (rinsed and drained)
2 cloves garlic- smashed
1/4 c diced parsley
2 c Bertolli Arrabbiata sauce
4 slice fresh mozzarella (1/4" thick)
1 fresh tomato sliced
2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp olive oil

1) In a frying pan, saute chicken sausage, peppers and shallots in oil.
2) Once softened add butter and mix till melted
3) Add breadcrumbs and mix to completely coat - remove from heat
4) In a bowl add beans, garlic and parsley - use immersion blender to smooth to a thick dip like texture
5) To assemble each mushroom - on baking sheet sprayed with Pam layer mushroom lightly brushed in olive oil, 2-4 tbsp bread crumb stuffing mix (enough to fill cap), 2 tbsp Bertolli Arrabbiata Sauce, 2 tbsp bean dip (pressed into a patty), slice of fresh mozzarella and top with tomato slice
6) Cook in 350 F oven for 20- 30 min until warm throughout and sauce and cheese start to bubble
7) Broil on low for 5 min to brown cheese

#21 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

I need to ask my dad to get me some portobellas next month. damn that looks tasty:jamguy:

#22 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

I got Rich a smoker for his birthday. He's working from home today and apparently fired it all up for some chicken tonight! :drool:

#23 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

I've been on an enchilada buzz lately... I make a homemade chipotle sauce with fresh garlic and red onions and then drizzle it over corn tortillas that are folded over a meat or veg filling, top with cheese and bake till the sauce is bubbling!

The meat filling I use is poached shredded chicken breast, fresh baby spinach, diced fresh tomatoes and onions and shredded cheddar cheese. The veggie ones are diced tempeh, shredded sweet potato, black beans, corn, strips of sweet red pepper, diced fresh tomato and red onion and shredded cheddar cheese. I just sot of came up with the combos based on what I thought would go together/felt like eating/was available in my fridge. You can pretty much make enchiladas with any filling that strikes your fancy!

I serve 'em with plain yogurt to cool down that hot chipotle sauce - they are deeee-lish!

You can use flour tortillas for bigger enchiladas, and if you use the corn tortillas you'll want to steam 'em first so that they are pliable enough to fold around the filling without crumbling or breaking apart.

Gotta pick up some avocados for the next time that I make these! :mrgreen:

#24 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

I got Rich a smoker for his birthday. He's working from home today and apparently fired it all up for some chicken tonight! :drool:

nice! my brother got one for his birthday last year, and we used it for the first time this year on Saturday - for chicken and dry-rubbed ribs. YUM!!! :jump:

#25 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

oh and last night i made two Indian dishes from scratch (a red bean dish, and a veggie coconut curry) with basmati rice and whole wheat naan bread.

tonight i'm bringing home a tomato pie and making a salad because we went to bed early last night and the kitchen's still a little messy :funny1:

#26 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

http://www.foodnetwo...ipe2/index.html

ultimate beef stew

I prepped this last night and its been in the slow cooker since. It smells so damn good. The au jus is probably the best i have tasted anywhere. Wow!! I am making egg noodles for it go on top of:pimp:

#27 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

could someone hook me up with a good quiche recipe?:funny1: i know:lol:. request from my gf. thanks:rose:

#28 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,988 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

ask cur. he rocks the man-quiche.

#29 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Man-quiche... :lmao:

#30 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

check it out crujonez...
http://gatheringofth...ead.php?t=16747

#31 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

Gluten free tuna casserole for dinner! :drool:

#32 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

check it out crujonez...
http://gatheringofth...ead.php?t=16747

sweet. thanks. :pimp:

#33 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

Cooking this for my mommy for her birthday:smile:

This is a delicious Rosemary Balsamic Chicken recipe! Every time I fix it, people ask for the recipe. This is an all in one dish, with meat, carrot and potatoes. A great meal to serve to that special guest! Your friends are sure to enjoy this dish. Just add green beans and you have a complete meal.

Difficulty: ModerateInstructionsThings You'll Need:

1 whole chicken

#34 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

yum that sounds good... I recommend trussing the chicken -- makes for a better presentation and it just comes out better (I have no idea why but it definitely makes it juicier) .... also sticking some citrus up inside it never hurts either!

(I like the method that goes up and around the wings then down and under the legs but any of them work fine)

#35 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

The fresh rosemary, thyme, balsamic, red pepper,garlic and olive oil smells so damn good. I love trying new recipes out. I am a complete cooking n00b :crazy:

edit: i am using 4 pounds of boneless skinless chicken instead of the whole chicken

#36 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

Tonight we are having chicken burgers with potato salad! :)

#37 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

last night: Jamaican jerk seitan with grilled peppers and onions, corn and rice. dessert: honeydew, dragon fruit and mango fruit salad

Monday: mexican wraps - grilled 'chicken', avocados diced & marinated in lime juice & jalapeno & onion & garlic, grilled veggies and pickled jalapenos. dessert: frozen dragon fruit

Sunday: fried tofu with stir fried veggies in a teriyaki-style sauce

tonight: dunno. kiltboy's on spring break, so he's cooking :)

#38 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

makin' an agave nectar cheesecake today for easter dessert, gonna be hard not to fork it til then tho'...

#39 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,292 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

that sounds yummy, Mama! :)

tonight: dunno. kiltboy's on spring break, so he's cooking :)

update: it was jalapeno poppers stuffed with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes with a cornmeal crust, grilled veggies and baba ganouch(sp?) with some awesome homemade naan an Indian friend brought us. he needed to use up a bunch of random stuff from the fridge so we had an international night :lol:

tonight i'm making something with the leftover tofu from the other night. probably another stir fry type thing, but with different veggies. we've really been digging on the stir fries lately :)

#40 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

I made a really yummy fresh salsa last night and served it as a sauce on some pan seared mahi mahi fish... used the immersion blender so it was a little smoother rather than rustic but I was happy with it either way!

Posted Image

it was actually tomatillo and red peppers..... I was surprised at how red it came out considering there was no real tomato in it! At first it was a little too sweet but a little jalapeno and cilantro made it more "green" and balanced it out nicely.... I think this would work on a lot of dishes (or as a "sauce" for a pasta salad too)

http://carlastastytr...red-pepper.html

#41 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,723 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

Tonight we are having quinoa with chicken and veggies...kind of like a stir fry! Yum!

#42 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

I am looking for a good recipe using eggplant that isn't eggplant parm? anyone?

#43 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

I have done this lasagna.....http://carlastastytr...ie-lasagna.html (uses cubed roasted eggplan along w a bunch of other veggies)

or you can do this zucchini lasagna w eggplant (slice thin, salt and roast first to remove moisture) http://carlastastytr...ni-lasagna.html

eggplant isn't really my favorite so I don't cook much with it (except in the summer when I get it from my csa) but I like it best when it is either baked into some pasta like cheesey dish or marinaded and grilled/ roasted

I think that if you cube, marinade it and roast it (on a baking sheet like 350 for 20 min) you could also make a nice italian flavored stew type dish (saute peppers, onions, zuchini. mushrooms & eggplant - add a can of tomatoes and some herbs (maybe a bit of pesto) -- serve over pasta or w rice)

#44 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

oh and here are some shots of my easter dinner..... first time I did easter and first lamb roast!

http://www.foodbuzz....er-leg-of-lamb-

#45 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

I think that if you cube, marinade it and roast it (on a baking sheet like 350 for 20 min) you could also make a nice italian flavored stew type dish (saute peppers, onions, zuchini. mushrooms & eggplant - add a can of tomatoes and some herbs (maybe a bit of pesto) -- serve over pasta or w rice)

what would i marinade it in? n00b question:smile:

i think i will just marinade it and bake it. easy and not very heavy

#46 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

well depends on what you are combining it with? I would probably go italian/mediteranean just b.c that seems right for eggplant to me...... so marinade in a little olive oil, few crush garlic cloves, italian herbs (basil, parsley, oregeno), little crushed red pepper for heat and splash of balsamic for acidity

or if you don't want to deal with it....a little italian salad dressing

I just think that eggplant (like zucchini) is really low flavor so you need some sort of seasoning on it and that its best mixed with other flavors

if you are just eating it as is...you can slice thick (peel off the skin!) and make a "burger" with it (might need to boost cooking time to 30 + min though)

#47 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

cool i have all the stuff for the marinade. i guess i still need to salt the slices for a half hour or so? i know eggplant is super absorbant so how long do i marinade it for?

#48 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

personally I think that if you are going to roast it plain (ie not in some sort of casserole) you don't need to worry about salting it to get excess moisture out since the baking should take care of that.... salting usually comes into play when you want moisture out before you cook (ie when breading like eggplant parm or in a casserole like the lasagna)

I would peel, slice, marinade for like 60 min or so and then probably dump the extra marinade on it in the baking pan while I cooked it

#49 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

personally I think that if you are going to roast it plain (ie not in some sort of casserole) you don't need to worry about salting it to get excess moisture out since the baking should take care of that.... salting usually comes into play when you want moisture out before you cook (ie when breading like eggplant parm or in a casserole like the lasagna)

I would peel, slice, marinade for like 60 min or so and then probably dump the extra marinade on it in the baking pan while I cooked it

you rule. thank you once again:smile:

#50 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

Tonight I'm making fresh homemade spinach/cheese ravioli and topping it with the spaghetti sauce I made on Monday night - yum!

Gonna toss some diced grilled sweet red pepper into the spinach and cheese filling as well - I forgot I had some in the fridge.