Photo

Can anyone tell me how to be a waitress? ... Kia? Help.

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#101 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,212 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

and shame on anyone who thinks she cant do this.

I think she can do anything she really wants to do.

#102 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,767 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

use the catering and kitchen work as your experience and then ensure them that they're better off hiring you than some young teenager that will flake out and not show up for work because there some music fest..a vull...um tell them you have catering experience!

if you can be patient with people and can wait until your away from the dining room to bitch about the assholes at table five you'll be fine...and you'll do fine.

#103 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

I agree with Diddy. Don't lie about experience, they will know right away anyway. Chain restaurants all have training for new waiters (experienced or not) so it's then that you'll learn how things are done in that particular restaurant. If you find a server position in a privately owned place, they typically train too albeit in a less formal fashion.

Finding a friend who can get you in where they work is your best bet right now. Most restaurants get flooded with applicants so the hook is where it's at.

Good luck!

Tips for if you do get a position:
~check on customer's meal satisfaction in two minutes or two bites (nothing worse then needing something and your waiter doesn't come back for check on you)
~write EVERYTHING down (you think you'll remember but you won't)
~if you get slammed and are overwhelmed ask for help before it's a crisis
~the customer is always right

I'm so glad I have neat handwriting... trust me, I'll write everything down...

Cant I ask the busboys to refill water? ???

#104 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Cant I ask the busboys to refill water? ???

:lol:
Yeah, don't lie about your wait staff experience.

#105 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,669 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

Capt, no one wants to scare Nik off and she can do it (doing it well though, takes a while). And, Capt, we know you're just pushin for a suga momma. lol

It gets bat shit crazy. If you haven't done it, you have no idea what you're in for so don't pretend you do or you'll quickly be found out.

You can make excellent money, just gotta start at the crap chain restaurants (or find a small local independently owned place?). But still should be able to bring in $100 a night. My daughter makes about $150 a night at her summertime waitress gig.

#106 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,669 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

OK, I would go to table one and tell them I will be right with them. go to the kitchen and start fixing and warming the dessert for table 2. While the dessert is warming, bring out those appitizers for table 3, along with some bread for table 1 and a round of water. go back into the kitchen to finish the dessert for table 2. bring it out and then go to table 1 to read them the specials and take their order if they are ready. refill water, get some drinks for all tables, go to kitchen and put in app for table 1 and then go to table 4 to take their dessert order....
repeat... repeat... repeat... lol.

yep, it will flow as smoothly as you just stated.

rofl

#107 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

They will never know that a restaurant I made up in Massachussets, never existed. Restaurants come and go all the time. I wouldn't lie with any other position, but the restaurant isnt doing background checks.

Hmmm... maybe get 1-20 friends as restaurant references and go to town. Heck, you could even buy a shit ton of sim cards and create all sorts of places a potential employer could call. If you need a job and food on your table there is NO SHAME.

Maybe.... offer up some work on the shit shifts(after breakfast/before lunch......) "test me out on just one table/two tables" and go from there. Since most places can review your service level by lack of complaints and the tips they see on the credit card slips your worth will be figured out in short time. Just remember to tell cash credit card paying customers who tip in cash to write "tip in cash" or do it before you turn it in.

Also....talk your friends and nice customers into doing reviews on the tons of online rating places and show your boss the links. For example, 1-100 4-5 star reviews on Yelp....you are the shit! Exploit that type of stuff with your name in the reviews and you have a ticket to $50-$100 a plate type of places.....then kick me back a little something for the "tip"

#108 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

no.. but if you fly enough, you may be able to recite the 'wear your seat belt' speech...

agreed!
while I understand the 'I've used a program so I think I can program" type of mentions, I also think that some things can be picked up from seeing it in action. For example, someone could watch a baseball game and get enough of an understanding to be able to play the game themselves. They may not be that good at first, but with some advise from your team mates and some practice, good game skills with develop.

Nikki, with a bit of practice and advise from your new restaurant team mates, I could totally see you swinging food handling multiple tables :bacon:

#109 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

yep, it will flow as smoothly as you just stated.

rofl

Hey! Do You know how long it took me to write that???? LOLOLOL!!!! It was like a puzzle. :)

#110 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

agreed!
while I understand the 'I've used a program so I think I can program" type of mentions, I also think that some things can be picked up from seeing it in action. For example, someone could watch a baseball game and get enough of an understanding to be able to play the game themselves. They may not be that good at first, but with some advise from your team mates and some practice, good game skills with develop.

Nikki, with a bit of practice and advise from your new restaurant team mates, I could totally see you swinging food handling multiple tables :bacon:

Exactly!!!!! Thanks!

#111 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hmmm... maybe get 1-20 friends as restaurant references and go to town. Heck, you could even buy a shit ton of sim cards and create all sorts of places a potential employer could call. If you need a job and food on your table there is NO SHAME.

Maybe.... offer up some work on the shit shifts(after breakfast/before lunch......) "test me out on just one table/two tables" and go from there. Since most places can review your service level by lack of complaints and the tips they see on the credit card slips your worth will be figured out in short time. Just remember to tell cash credit card paying customers who tip in cash to write "tip in cash" or do it before you turn it in.

Also....talk your friends and nice customers into doing reviews on the tons of online rating places and show your boss the links. For example, 1-100 4-5 star reviews on Yelp....you are the shit! Exploit that type of stuff with your name in the reviews and you have a ticket to $50-$100 a plate type of places.....then kick me back a little something for the "tip"

:nikkiblue: OMG dude you crack me up!!!!

#112 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

:lol:
Yeah, don't lie about your wait staff experience.

lol. But questions like that are the whole reason I made this thread!!!!! lol.

#113 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,364 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Tabbooma likes to tip nice waiters and waitresses :bouncey:

#114 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'm certainly friendly, so thats not a problem... :)

Questions about the tips, tho... Does the manager (or whoever) count your tips from the credit card receipts, and then give you the cash? or do those tips go into a paycheck? (im sure different places do it differently, but is there a standard?)

#115 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

How much should I get perhour? I know its under minimum wage...

#116 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

These are questions you'd already know the answers to if you had waited tables in the past ;)

#117 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Maaaattttttt!!! That's the whole point of the stupid thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#118 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

We're not here to try to pass you off as a waitress baller

:D

#119 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,364 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

You certainly are <3 Depends on place, some places count the tips and distribute them to waiters/waitresses, bus boys, bar tenders also for tax purposes... Also know of places that dont count or collect the tips, tips go into persons pocket :)

I'm certainly friendly, so thats not a problem... :)

#120 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, lying will get you nowhere fast. It may just be waitressing, but believe me, it's not as easy as it seems. :lol:

#121 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Busboys are busboys. They aren't there to refill water for you, baller. :rolling:

#122 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

As for the per hour and how you get your tips, it depends on the state you live in and the place you work for.

When I waitressed it was in MA, so I got MA minimum wage. The credit card tips convert into cash, but before I quit, they changed the policy, and credit card tips went directly into your paycheck. So, let's say you get $150 in tips, $10 in cash...you walk out that night with $10 cash and have to wait a week for the other $150. Kinda sucked. I mean, it was nice when you got your paycheck, but if the whole week your tips are majority credit card, it blows.

#123 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Busboy: Posted Image Waterboy:Posted Image

#124 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,505 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Posted Image

#125 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,505 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

its a small family owned business...they'll tell her how they want shit. every place is different

#126 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

We're not here to try to pass you off as a waitress baller

:D

Yes you are!

#127 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, lying will get you nowhere fast. It may just be waitressing, but believe me, it's not as easy as it seems. :lol:

Oh, I don't think its going to be easy... trust me! :lol:

#128 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,364 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Please don't water down the ketchup and make sure the salt shaker tops are on tight ;)

#129 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,505 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

can you say mixed mesclun greens ten times fast?
then ur good to go :lol:

#130 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,681 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Just wait until you have to carry a tray full of food on your shoulder. :lol:

That always made me nervous!

Good luck, Nikki! You can do it! :D

#131 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,302 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

It's a good thing you are not a clutz otherwise you would be so fucked. :bouncey:

#132 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

It's a good thing you are not a clutz otherwise you would be so fucked. :bouncey:

LMAO!!! Yea, so I'm fucked.. :lol:

#133 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

can you say mixed mesclun greens ten times fast?
then ur good to go :lol:

LMAO! Now I'm really fucked!

#134 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

boy. ha! i wasn't about to go naked fat cow on him

he didn't deserve the honor.

#135 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hey if Nicole gets this job, who wants to come with me to the restaurant and raise a ruckus?? :clapping:

#136 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,505 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

And, Capt, we know you're just pushin for a suga momma. lol

pffft!!! i just want her to bring some of the leftover food home :lol:

#137 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

is there a hooters near you? :naughty:

#138 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,505 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

no :(

#139 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

bummer. there goes my idea.

#140 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

The key things that always made me money were never let the drinks go dry.... take away dirty plates and trash as soon as you see it..... always double and triple check the order before bringing it to the table. If the food is burnt tell the cook to recook it because they will just send it back anyway and it will effect your tip.

I also carried extra pens and bought two approns so if one got real dirty I had another that looked presentable.

Good Luck! :bigsmile:

#141 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Hey if Nicole gets this job, who wants to come with me to the restaurant and raise a ruckus?? :clapping:

I will go with you!

#142 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,172 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

I will go with you!

That's going to require you leaving the confines of Manhattan. I'll believe that when I see it! :D

#143 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

i leave the city.... matter of fact i am going to Hawaii for two weeks!

#144 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,505 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

i found the menu
Posted Image

#145 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,823 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

i found the menu
Posted Image

:rotf:

Nikki, you can do this. Don't outright lie but seriously, it's ok to market yourself! Just tell them you have some experience but it's been years. Ask them to retrain you a little and start you off on the slower shifts for the beginning until you get back in the swing. It will be fine. :)

#146 chefjeff

chefjeff
  • VibeTribe
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

I also think its a positive you have worked in Customer support(Maptech) and you remember the Bugaboo Steak house you worked at in Peabody Ma. (wink) Its to bad the building is no longer there but I still have all the information when i was a manager there :) And you have been working in social services for a long time. If you have patience for that you might be OK.

Highly recommend going into place you may consider and watch what the waitstaff is doing!!!

Cheffrey

#147 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

OK. I just got back from interviewing with one of the owners. I dunno...He basically said he'll call me if nothing else better comes along, and it might be tomorrow. :lol:

I like the place. It has the feel of a tavern. At 11:00 am, the bar was already open with a few people playing the quick draw at the bar. :lol: Definately a local feel.. They offer over a100 beers at the place, so thats a big draw for people.

I filled out a single page basic application at the bar, and then reviewed the menu's and beer lists. 2 of the three owners were there, and were at a table in the corner having a meeting with probably a beer salesman guy. I waited at the bar for at least a half hour, just observing the place and talking with the bartender. I was asking the bartender questions about the menu. There was a lot of joking and talk between the bunch of old guys.

then I met at the table with the owner. I told him of my experience in catering, and we both agreed it wasnt the same. lol. we talked for about a half hour. We'll see. He seemed afraid to train me and I would leave. but.. he also seemed like they were really shorthanded.

If it's meant to be, it will..

#148 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I also think its a positive you have worked in Customer support(Maptech) and you remember the Bugaboo Steak house you worked at in Peabody Ma. (wink) Its to bad the building is no longer there but I still have all the information when i was a manager there :) And you have been working in social services for a long time. If you have patience for that you might be OK.

Highly recommend going into place you may consider and watch what the waitstaff is doing!!!

Cheffrey

<3 In retrospect, I should have outright lied and said I worked at Bugaboo. He seemed skeptical of my experience.. .

#149 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

In retrospect, I should have outright lied

Sigh.

#150 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,302 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

no you shouldn't of. lying is not a good thing. You did the right thing.